DragonBall Z Abridged

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by KaiserNeko » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:24 pm

ShadowDude112 wrote:Kaiser, I thought you said you guys were going to leave out Kuririn's Kienzan not working on Cell. Why did you leave it in?
Okay, so... here's some behind the scenes stuff:

Our original joke was to have Trunks and Vegeta arguing with each other while Kuririn used the attack. It would then literally cut off Cell's head, but it would regrow before either Trunks or Vegeta could notice, and before Kuririn could say anything, he'd be knocked out.

Unfortunately, between the animation assets, the writing complications of working around only Kuririn knowing about his regenerative abilities, and the lack of scene necessary for Vegeta and Trunks to have their argument... we decided against it. Lani also made the argument that Kuririn deserved an attempt at revenge in order to strengthen/main the Kuririn's character, even if the attack was futile.

It really shouldn't count as an Own. This is a moment where one of the strongest attacks in the series fails. That's not an owning, that's a testament to Cell's strength. ... even if I believe it's non-canon bullshit and I would have personally cut it.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Daisetsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Daisetsu » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:27 pm

Doctor. wrote:I'm just surprised that TFS would actually use Falcouner themes. Not only one of them but two, in one episode! I thought the scene of Cell humming the Perfect Cell theme would have been the closest we'd get.
Well, it's not the first time they've used the Faulconer score as Piccolo's theme was used back when he and Nail fused.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:28 pm

Fun episode. Perfect Cell's personality is still a little vague aside from just very "confident" but I foresee great things from him.

As much as I dislike the Faulconer music both musically and as a matter of principle, I don't mind it being used outside of an actual official dub. If you've got good places to use the better tracks, then go for it.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:56 pm

The described scene sounds nice. I wouldn't mind seeing that as a deleted scene some day. Oh well.

As for the Falconer score, I didn't mind it. I'm indifferent to the Falconer tracks, but that may be because it's been years since I heard them on the show. But if the music fits, it should be used. And it definately fit here.

Awesome episode Kaiser.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:17 pm

No love for Gohan's Super Saiyan transformation? I was honestly not expecting the return of the 'Dodge' joke, and while that could have been forced in, it was actually really subtle. And I've got to give props to MasakoX for his scream as Gohan at the end. It was really intense.

Anyway, I didn't mind that you used the Faulconer score. At least, not for this scene. For many people, the Vegeta Super Saiyan theme is what MAKES this scene, even more than, say Goku going Super Saiyan. Basically, this, the SSJ3 transformation, and SSJ2 Gohan and Ultimate Gohan are the places where it'd be alright for the Faulconer score to be put in. (Although I'd REALLY prefer you put Unmei no Hi in the transformation scene. But maybe you could put Gohan's Anger sometime after that, just to satisfy people?)

Speaking of, props to AinTunez for his excellent remixes this episode. The Faulconer remix was much better than the original, and the mashup of Perfect Cell's theme and Hikari no Willpower was amazing and such a subtle reference. Loved it.

If I had a criticism, it's that I don't have grips of Perfect Cell's personality just yet. He's just the classic 'chewing the scenery' villain. Freeza had his unabashed villainy to set him apart at this point, but Cell doesn't have something unique like that. At least, not yet.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:36 pm

Perfect Cell's personality will shine all the more as you see him interact with more characters. Especially Goku.

DanielSSJ

Post by DanielSSJ » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:37 pm

MozillaVulpix wrote:No love for Gohan's Super Saiyan transformation? I was honestly not expecting the return of the 'Dodge' joke, and while that could have been forced in, it was actually really subtle. And I've got to give props to MasakoX for his scream as Gohan at the end. It was really intense.

Anyway, I didn't mind that you used the Faulconer score. At least, not for this scene. For many people, the Vegeta Super Saiyan theme is what MAKES this scene, even more than, say Goku going Super Saiyan. Basically, this, the SSJ3 transformation, and SSJ2 Gohan and Ultimate Gohan are the places where it'd be alright for the Faulconer score to be put in. (Although I'd REALLY prefer you put Unmei no Hi in the transformation scene. But maybe you could put Gohan's Anger sometime after that, just to satisfy people?)

Speaking of, props to AinTunez for his excellent remixes this episode. The Faulconer remix was much better than the original, and the mashup of Perfect Cell's theme and Hikari no Willpower was amazing and such a subtle reference. Loved it.

If I had a criticism, it's that I don't have grips of Perfect Cell's personality just yet. He's just the classic 'chewing the scenery' villain. Freeza had his unabashed villainy to set him apart at this point, but Cell doesn't have something unique like that. At least, not yet.
As far as Cell goes, I believe that, in one of the podcasts, they described him as a "showman".
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:41 pm

An interesting episode, I guess... But didn't Kaiser said that they wouldn't use filler Kienzan scene? :?

Also they used a Bruce Faulconer? I always though they didn't like it all :D

"Oh shit" was priceless, I totally saw that coming!

EDIT: Oh! He explained before :oops:

Anyway... I have no problem with Faulconer tracks, but I really would like if they used some Shunsuke Kikuchi BGM for Cell scenes, I just love those tracks!
Last edited by Noah on Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:50 pm

Noah wrote:An interesting episode, I guess... But didn't Kaiser said that they wouldn't use filler Kienzan scene? :?

Also they used a Bruce Faulconer? I always though they didn't like it all :D

"Oh shit" was priceless, I totally saw that coming!
Check my posts on the previous page. =3

Rob
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Rob » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:55 pm

There are two bits from the Faulconer score I actually like: Vegeta's themes and Perfect Cell's. I really consider it a crying shame Funimation totally butchered the use of "Cell Returns" by not using it at the end of episode 188, instead having the dramatic reveal of Perfect Cell's return be backed by that useless piece-of-shit episode-ending cue that has no fucking reason to exist.

Anyway, I definitely enjoyed this episode. I'm fine with the Krillin bit as-is (though I can understand Kaiser's argument regarding the kienzan), though the hair-on-fire gag at the end fell a little flat for me. I mean, we get it, Goku can be really oblivious. This is a character whose canon version used to pat crotches because he couldn't figure out the difference between boys and girls. Still, it's not like it ruined the episode for me or anything.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:56 pm

DanielSSJ wrote:...SSJ2 Gohan and Ultimate Gohan are the places where it'd be alright for the Faulconer score to be put in. (Although I'd REALLY prefer you put Unmei no Hi in the transformation scene. But maybe you could put Gohan's Anger sometime after that, just to satisfy people?)
I think Unmei No Hi is just perfect for this scene and as for Ultimate Gohan arrival, that Faulconer track is just perfect for that moment IMO
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:37 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote: Kaiser should have counted it, but he said earlier he didn't really want to do the Kienzan scene. I guess this was a compromise. We got the Kienzan scene, but not the full extent of it's potential humour.
"Should have" is subjective. I decided that the whole scene counted as 1 owned count. Especially considering this is Kuririn's most powerful attack (and one of the most powerful in the series), and Cell just took it head on. That's not Kuririn being owned, that's Cell being a monster.

Second, "full extent" of it's humor? I'm sorry, but I personally believe the KOC is one of the most tired, inane jokes in our show and I'm so happy that we've likely seen the last of it for a good long while. It hardly makes scenes funnier and has outlived it's humor to me.
Of course it's subjective. I don't think I need to post imo at the end of my sentences right? It's your show and your call.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

BlazingBarrrager
I Live Here

Post by BlazingBarrrager » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:58 pm

Am I the only one here who loved how Cell took all of Vegeta's insults and comebacks and literally threw them back in his face. He even pressed the Goku button again, although at the time it was broken from fear. XD

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:15 pm

KaiserNeko wrote: The only, only reason we used it is because we're using a completely remade version. It's an orchestral cover of the song that keeps the positive qualities of the original.
Hey...ever thought of releasing an OST soundtrack? How many tweets have you received about the violin remix from Super 13? How many do you think you'll receive when the masses find out this was another remake?
Daisetsu wrote:
Doctor. wrote:I'm just surprised that TFS would actually use Falcouner themes. Not only one of them but two, in one episode! I thought the scene of Cell humming the Perfect Cell theme would have been the closest we'd get.
Well, it's not the first time they've used the Faulconer score as Piccolo's theme was used back when he and Nail fused.
Is that right? I guess that one didn't have a strong effect on me back in the day, I wouldn't have known that was the first instance if you hadn't said something.

MostcallmeRay

Post by MostcallmeRay » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:48 pm

BlazingBarrrager wrote:Am I the only one here who loved how Cell took all of Vegeta's insults and comebacks and literally threw them back in his face. He even pressed the Goku button again, although at the time it was broken from fear. XD
You're not the only one. All of them made me happy because he had it coming after he let Cell transform. My favorite had to be the whole "Perfect or not me" comeback. :lol:
Admittedly not so active around here, but may come around to the forums from time to time.

More often on Twitter or Discord.
Twitter link is in profile.

Captain-Sora
Regular

Post by Captain-Sora » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:00 am

MozillaVulpix wrote:No love for Gohan's Super Saiyan transformation? I was honestly not expecting the return of the 'Dodge' joke, and while that could have been forced in, it was actually really subtle. And I've got to give props to MasakoX for his scream as Gohan at the end. It was really intense.
I liked it. As well as the usage of Gohan's reoccurring game theme (in this case, it's the one from Butoden 2's arranged album if I'm not mistaken) during his internal monologue.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:27 am

I don't get the Falconer hate at all, maybe because I grew up with the dub that used that music. It's not worse than the Japanese score IMO, just different.

As for the kienzan, I think what you did with it was fine.

I'm just looking forward to the introduction of Mr. Satan.

Oh, and Broly of course.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:25 pm

Possible deleted scene, or maybe something else? TFS Tidbit episode 52 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN4Pw66U1is

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:25 pm

Cell dialogue was..Perfect :) Loved Gohan SSJ, it was done in spirit of original anime. Final Flash music was one of my favorite tracks in series, I'm glad to hear it here :) Goku singing to Dragon Soul tune
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:17 pm

"You ate my family. I hate you."

I think that took the cake for me, even more than Goku's reintroducing "dodge" in most innocent way. The screaming was spot-on.

As far a "new" Perfect Cell goes, I would think the pivotal moments are going to be Trunks and Gohan; whenever he fights someone whose cells actually went into his genetic buffet he generally just bounces off of them. With Trunks and Gohan he lacked that connection, and since they were no bravado and all conscientiousness, he just swung right back into Piccolo/Vegeta/Freeza territory. At this point, Goku inspiring any emotion other than irritated confusion is going to be new.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada