"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

alakazam^
I Live Here

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by alakazam^ » Mon May 16, 2016 2:14 pm

sintzu wrote:
alakazam^ wrote:Goten and Trunks get trapped in his luggage carrier.
The same Goten and Trunks who can go Ssj ? the same Goten and Trunks who can form a Ssj3 Gotenks ?

What's that carrier made from ?
An earlier scan mentioned they fell asleep so it's possible a mix of the two.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon May 16, 2016 3:09 pm

Basaku wrote:Toei Year-End $$$ numbers: http://corp.toei-anim.co.jp/files/IR/28 ... _keisu.pdf

I also managed to get exclusive commentary for Kanzenshuu from Toei's CEO, here's what he had to say about the numbers:

(Kanzenshuu staff feel absolute free to use charts as you see fit :) )
Looks like Super is gonna be around for a long time.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon May 16, 2016 3:55 pm

alakazam^ wrote:An earlier scan mentioned they fell asleep.
How the hell did that happen ? they're not babies, they're both over 10 years old.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Mon May 16, 2016 5:21 pm

sintzu wrote:
alakazam^ wrote:An earlier scan mentioned they fell asleep.
How the hell did that happen ? they're not babies, they're both over 10 years old.
No one watched the episode yet. I'm guessing they will mess with something inside Monaka's ship that causes them to sleep.

ArchedThunder wrote:
Kuririn Fan wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote: Well One Piece and Dragon Ball are pretty neck and neck outside of Japan.
I'm not so sure about this...
Did you even look at the numbers I'm referring to?
Overseas film
One Piece 1,683 Million Yen
Dragon Ball 1,666 Million Yen

Overseas Licensing
Dragon Ball 1,478 Million Yen
One Piece 1,431 Million Yen

As far as the money going through Toei, Dragon Ball and One Piece made virtually the same amount outside of Japan in this past fiscal year.
You mean Billion, though. One million yen isn't worth much in business.
ArchedThunder wrote:Also Precure seems to be on a pretty noticeable downward trajectory, I don't follow that series but is there any particular reason for this? Kinda crazy how domestically the only one to be up over last year in any significant way is Dragon Ball.
Don't quote me on this, but the traditional Sunday morning franchises from tv Asahi (Precure, Sentai, Kamen Rider) all seem to be going through a ratings/sales drop lately. Maybe Rider a little less, but still, could be more than just a coincidence, as they air back to back.

Precure isn't as nearly as strong of a brand, and it's also a much younger franchise, so it could be suffering more.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon May 16, 2016 5:45 pm

Been watching Precure since near the end of Fresh; my thoughts:

This year's Precure seems to have purposely been put on the backburner due to sending most of Precure's good staff over to Sailor Moon Crystal. This year's Precure is a lot lower stakes, more slice of life, less action and returns to the early formula of the first two Precure series of "two dissimilar friends bonding, team-transformations, using mascots for transformations, and less-human-looking villains". It's kind of boring imo compared to Go!Pri, but I can't say I've dropped it like I briefly dropped DokiDoki several years back. The merch for MahoPre sells well though, kids love the Mofurun toy (even though personally I can't stand the voice they chose for the character). I'm hoping next year's Precure goes back to being more battle oriented (though I guess it all depends on Crystal's production schedule).
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Mon May 16, 2016 5:57 pm

I wonder why they don't move the anime blocks to Saturday morning since that's the first day of the weekend. I think on a Sunday morning everyone wakes up dreading school/work the next day. I think they'd do better ratings on Saturday but I could be completely wrong.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Mon May 16, 2016 6:07 pm

Though not as much as in the past, many schools in Japan have classes on Saturday, as well (I think a half day? And maybe not all the time, but just when tests are coming up? Not 100% sure on that, but probably varies depending on the school, anyway...) Thus, Sunday is usually considered the main weekend day in Japan, since for many that's the only day they have completely off. So they wouldn't want to air it Saturday morning when a chunk of their potential audience might be in school.
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon May 16, 2016 6:42 pm

Xeztin wrote:I wonder why they don't move the anime blocks to Saturday morning since that's the first day of the weekend. I think on a Sunday morning everyone wakes up dreading school/work the next day. I think they'd do better ratings on Saturday but I could be completely wrong.
Sunday Morning anime is like Saturday morning cartoons here in the US. Kids would be probably be at school on a Saturday morning. I remember Robert Baldwin from the Chouseishin Series saying that most people don't watch TV on Saturday mornings. When they do have off on Saturdays, they normally go out with their friends or family, not really watching TV.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Mon May 16, 2016 11:16 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:This one is really interesting to me considering Dragon Ball is now making more money for Bandai than One Piece. I guess despite One Piece as an anime making more money Dragon Ball sells merch a lot better.
Also Precure seems to be on a pretty noticeable downward trajectory, I don't follow that series but is there any particular reason for this? Kinda crazy how domestically the only one to be up over last year in any significant way is Dragon Ball.
Pretty Cure reboots every year, so there's little "loyalty" to the franchise compared to something like Dragonball. Usually that's made up by people getting into the new season, but recent seasons don't really stand out enough to grab a replacement audience.

All Toei Sunday morning franchises with the annual reboot format have been suffering from that lately actually. Kamen Rider has started to branch out attempting to appeal to older fans through movies and mini-series, as well as adding transitory episodes from one season to the next, with the tv show also sometimes having episodes connected to them or references to them, but Sentai and Pretty Cure still are sticking to tradition and betting everything on the annual reboot format.
Chuquita wrote:Been watching Precure since near the end of Fresh; my thoughts:

This year's Precure seems to have purposely been put on the backburner due to sending most of Precure's good staff over to Sailor Moon Crystal. This year's Precure is a lot lower stakes, more slice of life, less action and returns to the early formula of the first two Precure series of "two dissimilar friends bonding, team-transformations, using mascots for transformations, and less-human-looking villains". It's kind of boring imo compared to Go!Pri, but I can't say I've dropped it like I briefly dropped DokiDoki several years back. The merch for MahoPre sells well though, kids love the Mofurun toy (even though personally I can't stand the voice they chose for the character). I'm hoping next year's Precure goes back to being more battle oriented (though I guess it all depends on Crystal's production schedule).
Those numbers would be mostly about last year's show though, not Maho which would be only two months there.
Last edited by Neon Z on Wed May 18, 2016 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon May 16, 2016 11:23 pm

I did hear that Go!Pri didn't sell well; ultimately I think it wasn't as as easy to merchandise as MahoPre is. That said I did enjoy Go!Pri's animation, characters, design, battles, and story a lot more then I've enjoyed any of MahoPre so far. If MahoPre wasn't a "precure" series at all I wouldn't have initially checked it out.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DragonHermit
Regular

Post by DragonHermit » Mon May 16, 2016 11:23 pm

Does anyone know how much money is funnelled from BN's profits to Toei animation/production budget?

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Tue May 17, 2016 12:35 am

DragonHermit wrote:Does anyone know how much money is funnelled from BN's profits to Toei animation/production budget?
If a tv series gets a good viewership and the investment sponsors are making to advertise and connect their brands to said series is paying off, it's to be expected that timeslot will get more valuable (people paying enough attention might've realized a couple of DBS' sponsors changed just recently).
But without seeing a contract, i think it's pretty much impossible to know that kind of information, especially when it comes to the head sponsor fueling the show. We don't even know if they have a fixed amount they need to invest, or other variables like after how long it's supposed to rise or not, etc.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Tue May 17, 2016 12:54 am

Araki wrote:
DragonHermit wrote:Does anyone know how much money is funnelled from BN's profits to Toei animation/production budget?
If a tv series gets a good viewership and the investment sponsors are making to advertise and connect their brands to said series is paying off, it's to be expected that timeslot will get more valuable (people paying enough attention might've realized a couple of DBS' sponsors changed just recently).
But without seeing a contract, i think it's pretty much impossible to know that kind of information, especially when it comes to the head sponsor fueling the show. We don't even know if they have a fixed amount they need to invest, or other variables like after how long it's supposed to rise or not, etc.
I'd also like to chime in and say that even with more money, it probably wouldn't help Super's production much. Lack of time and lack of available talent at Toei is the main thing plaguing Super, it seems.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue May 17, 2016 1:16 am

Last time I check, Bandai helps produces most of the shows for Toei like Precure, Super Sentai, Digimon and Kamen Rider. I would imagine the same would be the same for Dragon Ball and One Piece.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Tue May 17, 2016 1:27 am

If something is making this much money, it is sure to get milked.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue May 17, 2016 2:55 am

sintzu wrote:
alakazam^ wrote:Goten and Trunks get trapped in his luggage carrier.
The same Goten and Trunks who can go Ssj ? the same Goten and Trunks who can form a Ssj3 Gotenks ?

What's that carrier made from ?
While thats all true you probably gotta factor in the possibility that they didnt wanna break Monaka's stuff.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue May 17, 2016 5:14 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:Last time I check, Bandai helps produces most of the shows for Toei like Precure, Super Sentai, Digimon and Kamen Rider. I would imagine the same would be the same for Dragon Ball and One Piece.
Every episode of Super opens by saying it is "brought to you by Bandai". And with Bandai now making more money off of Dragon Ball than One Piece I wonder if that means they're going to send more money Dragon Ball's way than One Piece.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Tue May 17, 2016 6:34 am

I can say with confidence that it's not proportional: as in, if the Dragonball merchandise license pulls in more money than expected for Bandai Namco, then there isn't going to be a knock-on effect on how much money Toei funnels into Super's production.

If anything, soaring merchandise profits will probably just solidify any internal argument within Toei for continuing Super's present budget - as in, 'we're making a tidy profit as things stand - this is working.'

What it will effect, however, is whether (or indeed, how soon) we see another theatrical film. Toei's commissioning arm will probably be faster to act if the franchise is doing well, and will no doubt be under some external pressure from the likes of Bandai Namco and Shueisha to push ahead with new Dragonball-related ventures.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue May 17, 2016 8:20 am

Blade wrote:
I can say with confidence that it's not proportional: as in, if the Dragonball merchandise license pulls in more money than expected for Bandai Namco, then there isn't going to be a knock-on effect on how much money Toei funnels into Super's production.

If anything, soaring merchandise profits will probably just solidify any internal argument within Toei for continuing Super's present budget - as in, 'we're making a tidy profit as things stand - this is working.'

What it will effect, however, is whether (or indeed, how soon) we see another theatrical film. Toei's commissioning arm will probably be faster to act if the franchise is doing well, and will no doubt be under some external pressure from the likes of Bandai Namco and Shueisha to push ahead with new Dragonball-related ventures.
I don't know, the most recent episode had a lot of staff on it and it wasn't even an important episode, nor did it have any combat and on top of that the NEP for this coming episode looks great, I think the growth of the franchise is leading to them brute forcing the show into looking better despite its schedule.

DragonHermit
Regular

Post by DragonHermit » Tue May 17, 2016 1:33 pm

Yeah, adding more people onto episodes can definitely help with the crap allotted time (although it'd be better just to fix it).

It turns out Bandai Namco owns 2% of Toei Animation (Fuji TV apparently owns 7%, and Sony owns 1.9%). Toei's annual budget is only $30 million, while Bandai Namco's is $5-600 million*(their revenue is like $6 billion). Considering every episode costs about 1 - 200 grand to produce, and Toei having multiple projects to juggle, I think $$ could definitely help out.