DragonBall Z Abridged

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by Nejishiki » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:55 pm

I interpreted that message as frustration that the original version tends to be quickly dismissed despite Team Four Star basing most of their cues from that source. However, it's hard to get more out of that YouTube exchange seeing as the information is second-hand and I don't think I'll hunt down the original context.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:57 pm

I think comparing it to the original is what would count as taking it too seriously.

I love Abridged but it doesn't work as an "alternate telling" of the series or a serious product. And that's fine. If it were to be taken that way, then a lot of their jokes couldn't work due to being inaccurate or coming across as mean spirited.

I think things like the KOC and Yamcha's treatment are fine because the whole thing is a ridiculous, over-the-top comedy.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

gogeta97
Beyond Newbie

Post by gogeta97 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:41 pm

Saiga wrote:I think comparing it to the original is what would count as taking it too seriously.

I love Abridged but it doesn't work as an "alternate telling" of the series or a serious product. And that's fine. If it were to be taken that way, then a lot of their jokes couldn't work due to being inaccurate or coming across as mean spirited.

I think things like the KOC and Yamcha's treatment are fine because the whole thing is a ridiculous, over-the-top comedy.
I think most people are just saying that they prefer certain ASPECTS of Abridged to the original series(i.e. portrayals of certain characters, the comedy, etc.)
No one is trying to haphazardly fit it into some sort head canon.
fadeddreams5 wrote:At this point, that time machine is symbolic to how fans feel about Super. We hope it gets better, but ultimately find ourselves going back in time to a better series.

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:44 am

Nejishiki wrote:I interpreted that message as frustration that the original version tends to be quickly dismissed despite Team Four Star basing most of their cues from that source. However, it's hard to get more out of that YouTube exchange seeing as the information is second-hand and I don't think I'll hunt down the original context.
Yes you put it into words better than I could, it's like when you see a "dub comparison" video with the funi dub, the kai dub and TFS for some reason instead of the Japanese version (although it's probably just a humourous way to end their video, not an actual comparison)

It's only a small minority of people in the wider fanbase of course, I don't want to generalise whole groups of people here.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:14 am

I just realized something, if Cell went 4 years back before Trunks showed up, it is good thing he had to revert to larval stage and stay like this for 4 years...Saiyan Saga Z-fighters wouldn't be too much of a challenge
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:15 am

Deathbringer wrote:
Nejishiki wrote:I interpreted that message as frustration that the original version tends to be quickly dismissed despite Team Four Star basing most of their cues from that source. However, it's hard to get more out of that YouTube exchange seeing as the information is second-hand and I don't think I'll hunt down the original context.
Yes you put it into words better than I could, it's like when you see a "dub comparison" video with the funi dub, the kai dub and TFS for some reason instead of the Japanese version (although it's probably just a humourous way to end their video, not an actual comparison)

It's only a small minority of people in the wider fanbase of course, I don't want to generalise whole groups of people here.
Well maybe those videos were focusing exclusively on English dubs?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:34 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Deathbringer wrote:

Well maybe those videos were focusing exclusively on English dubs?
Yeah that probably is the case, and if so it's a completely different topic that has nothing to do with TFS of course

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:16 pm

The use of Hikari no Will Power caught me off guard. Perfect!
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Rob
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Rob » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:53 pm

It just greatly amuses me that the title of this episode pays homage to Meri's site. The ToT was the site that brought me into the online DBZ fandom.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:10 am

Abridged has become something so different to what it was when it started out. Season 1 was a fourth-wall breaking meta-commentary on the original, poking fun at both the plot and production, real fun "internet humour" type stuff. Season 3 is more like a rewrite with altered characterisations - characterisations which are usually more complex than the originals, with crackling dialogue which is more nuanced and full of humour deriving directly from the interactions between Abridged's characters themselves. It's DBZ with funnier, more layered characters, and the occasional goofy "internet humour" thing calling back to the roots of the series. Honestly, DBZ with this kind of character dynamic would have been awesome.

I've particularly loved Cell using people's own psychological issues to torment them, especially playing on Vegeta's Goku complex to rile him, and the more natural chemistry between Krillin and 18 so it won't feel like that whole thing came out of nowhere. Considering the source material available for manipulation, you guys did a great job at making this part of the series feelfairly organic where the original felt pretty damn stupid at this point.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:32 am

Deathbringer wrote:I will admit that it irks me to see some dub fans admit in a heartbeat that "this scene is way better than the original" (like Trunks finding Gohan's body (which IS a great moment in DBZA because any jokes in that scene would have felt forced)) but they'll never admit that the Japanese version does anything better than the dub they grew up with.

Saw a prime example in the youtube comments: (lemme just paraphrase):
"wow Cell is so much better here than in the original"
"what about the japanese version? Norio Wakamoto is godly"
"dude the sub is bad"

Why am I venting? I didn't come here to vent, I came to say that episode 53 was amazing as always, well done to everyone involved
I don't know why it always falls on us dub fans. As a dub fan I completely disagree that the abridged is better than the show. Not saying TFS and DBZA are bad by any means. I love what they've done with Cell and Freeza, just seems a little disrespectful to Toei and Toriyama more than anything else to say things like they don't like Dragon Ball, just Abridged

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:37 am

Yeah that's why I don't want to generalise

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:04 am

Rob wrote:It just greatly amuses me that the title of this episode pays homage to Meri's site. The ToT was the site that brought me into the online DBZ fandom.
Haven't seen the latest episode just yet, but I second that amusement. I don't think I checked the site nearly as often as I did Planet Namek, but I definitely poked around ye olde Temple back in the day. I especially remember being cracked up by the Trunks movie posters. :lol: So it's great to see a nod to it in Abridged.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:12 pm

Cell: Does Gohan know?
Trunks: Know what?
Cell: That you let him die.

That is my favoirate line from the episode, second would be...

Trunks: And behide all that insufferable snark is a dead man!
Cell: You couldn't phathom the amount of dead men behind me.

Chils up my spine.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:09 pm

DRUNK SOULS 3 SPOILERS
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Doodan

Post by Doodan » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:02 am

Maybe Krillin could pass his "owned" counter to a different and more deserving character?

...Vegeta?

BlazingBarrrager
I Live Here

Post by BlazingBarrrager » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:22 pm

So we learn that the 6th rule in Popo's training is to not break Popo's things. Wonder what rule 3,4, and 5 are?

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:41 pm

BlazingBarrrager wrote:So we learn that the 6th rule in Popo's training is to not break Popo's things. Wonder what rule 3,4, and 5 are?
I don't think you'd want to anger him to the point of actually knowing five of them!

BlazingBarrrager
I Live Here

Post by BlazingBarrrager » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:47 pm

Nejishiki wrote:
BlazingBarrrager wrote:So we learn that the 6th rule in Popo's training is to not break Popo's things. Wonder what rule 3,4, and 5 are?
I don't think you'd want to anger him to the point of actually knowing five of them!
Does Mr. Popo even get mad? Based on how he handled Garlic Jr. he did seem to enjoy himself regardless. Nonetheless, what we know so far is...

Rule 1: Do not talk about Popo's training
Rule 2: A little vague, but possibly involves crying based on Krillin and Gohan's exchange with the latter asking why he's crying, which the former replied it to be the 2nd rule in Popo's training.
Rule 6: Don't break Popo's things.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:11 pm

BlazingBarrrager wrote:
Nejishiki wrote:
Does Mr. Popo even get mad? Based on how he handled Garlic Jr. he did seem to enjoy himself regardless. Nonetheless, what we know so far is...

Rule 1: Do not talk about Popo's training
Rule 2: A little vague, but possibly involves crying based on Krillin and Gohan's exchange with the latter asking why he's crying, which the former replied it to be the 2nd rule in Popo's training.
Rule 6: Don't break Popo's things.
This whole time I assumed rule 2 was a play on the Rules of Fight Club.