When will Bra be born?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Puto
I Live Here

Re: When will Bulla be born?

Post by Puto » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:07 am

Alruneia wrote:
Xeztin wrote:If shes not born in the Trunks arc can we definately say shes not happening? Or that she will be rewritten?
I wouldn't say so, no. Not until a visible timeskip happens that can't be explained away in any easy manner. A wish to Shenron to resurrect Future Mai, for example. If something like that happens there's no way Toriyama hasn't missed the timeframe.
Last resort, we blame her lack of existence on Future Trunks' return somehow creating a new timeline that's separate from EoZ... or something. But there's no definite proof of Bulla not happening just yet.

But I'm biased.
I still wish they'd just throw a random line out there saying something like "after the incident with Boo, Dende got rid of the 1-year waiting period for using the Dragon Balls". It'd fix almost all of the timeline issues Super has.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

z_cherub
Beyond Newbie

Post by z_cherub » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:59 am

Why do people call her "Bulla" rather than "Bra" and yet don't call Trunks "Tolankasu"?

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:20 am

z_cherub wrote:Why do people call her "Bulla" rather than "Bra" and yet don't call Trunks "Tolankasu"?
Because one is trademarked and the other is a fan term.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Protege
Beyond Newbie

Post by Protege » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:42 am

I'm pretty Bulma is simply just too old to bear any children. Considering that Bulma and Vegeta have atleast 5 years on Goku and Chi Chi which would very likely mean that Bulma has hit her menopause by this point.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:58 am

z_cherub wrote:Why do people call her "Bulla" rather than "Bra" and yet don't call Trunks "Tolankasu"?
Because Bulla is literally her name in the dub.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:40 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Because Bulla is literally her name in the dub.
Just like how people also say Frieza instead of Freeza. It's what the English dub says, so it's correct.
Her name is ブラ (Bura) in Japanese and Bulla in English. So it's really not wrong to write Bulla. Trying to police people into writing Bra is wrong, though. I'm not saying that that's what's happening here, but I'm mentioning it.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Re: When will Bra be born?

Post by Nejishiki » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:44 pm

Well, we used to. :lol: Jokes and outdated word filters aside, I think it's okay as long as the conversation can carry. Just don't do something like, "Bura", in casual speak because that misses the point of everything.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:18 pm

Please keep in mind that, to those of us who don't follow FUNimation's English dub and know where some of these spellings come from, name changes like "Bulla" just seem like someone completely missing the point of the name (thus an appropriate question of "why don't you also use 'Tolankusu' along with it). It's not always a matter of policing, it's legitimate questioning because... it's just so dumb!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:02 am

Protege wrote:I'm pretty Bulma is simply just too old to bear any children. Considering that Bulma and Vegeta have atleast 5 years on Goku and Chi Chi which would very likely mean that Bulma has hit her menopause by this point.
It's less common, but not impossible, for women to have children at her age (according the official timeline, she was 47 when she gave birth to Bra). Plus, it's a fictional world anyway, so Toriyama may not have cared about how old she was, and gave her and Vegeta another child...just because (since she was instantly sidelined to be yet another cheerleader, not even a fighter like little Pan, I've long wondered what his motivation for creating her was).

As for Bra appearing in Super, I'm still on the fence whether I think she will or not. If she's going to, and if they're maintaining the same age gap between her and Pan, it'll have to be fairly soon. All the VegeBul buildup felt like it might be leading to that early on, but now it seems more like certain writers just enjoy that pairing, and it has nothing to do with Bulma popping out another baby (not that I'm complaining ^_^). But I have some hope that an arc focused around Trunks might also lead to more developments in his present day family, including his little sister finally being introduced.
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:50 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:If Toriyama doesn't forget about her, soon.
EOZ will get retconned anyway.
No, it wont.
There is nearly zero chance EoZ will be the exact same as Dragon Ball manga, it would make the entire Super anime pointless.
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:30 am

Faisal Shourov wrote: There is nearly zero chance EoZ will be the exact same as Dragon Ball manga, it would make the entire Super anime pointless.
Toriyama probably wont replace the ending of his manga with Super, stuff he doesnt really like...

z_cherub
Beyond Newbie

Post by z_cherub » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:35 am

VegettoEX wrote:Please keep in mind that, to those of us who don't follow FUNimation's English dub and know where some of these spellings come from, name changes like "Bulla" just seem like someone completely missing the point of the name (thus an appropriate question of "why don't you also use 'Tolankusu' along with it). It's not always a matter of policing, it's legitimate questioning because... it's just so dumb!
This was my point - I don't care what you guys call her, I was just confused since I quit watching the dub long before bra/bulla was introduced. Her name was OBVIOUSLY intended to be Bra (despite the Japanese accent it's spoken with) given her family's underwear puns. Therefore, people saying "Bulla" sounds weird when they simply use the English pronunciation for "Trunks".

Even with her mom, the dub says "Bulma" instead of "Bloomer", but it doesn't call her "Boruma", which would be more consistent with their handling of Bra.

It's just weird and inconsistent as hell, so pardon me for being a little confused.

AlphaElite

Post by AlphaElite » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:47 pm

As chibi trunks has a lot if development during this saga, I think it could be a slight plot device. Meaning, he could be inspired by his future counterpart to be a big brother, which will probably be just when bulma finds out she is pregnant.

JoeCapricorn
Beyond Newbie

Post by JoeCapricorn » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:33 pm

I think Bra will appear in due time, when she is due, 9 months after Vegeta satisfies Bulma's curiosity as to if hair elsewhere also turns blue when he goes SSGSS. I guess they would be called "blubes" instead of "pubes".

Some call Bra "Bulla" not because it's a misunderstanding of the Japanese transliteration but because (if I remember correctly) the Funimation dub decided to call her that.

What doesn't make sense to me is when people use an actual misunderstanding of Japanese transliteration for other characters - for instance I still see Beerus called "Bills". I know everyone hates getting bills in the mail but I wouldn't mind getting a Beerus in the mail, he's rather cute.

SuperKurojin-Tubbsii

Post by SuperKurojin-Tubbsii » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:13 pm

I wish she was born before The Future Trunks arc, I would love to see Future Trunks' reaction to having a little sister. I mean she could be born this arc, but who knows. Its the small character stuff Super has been good at, but its the little things and details it sucks at.
Dragon Ball Fanartist Extraordinaire

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:20 pm

She was supposed to be conceived by now, but Vegeta was afraid he'd pass away most of his power in his sperm, as Gohan did with Pan. So he refused to have another child to avoid that catastrophe :lol:.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:32 pm

Kuririn Fan wrote:
Faisal Shourov wrote: There is nearly zero chance EoZ will be the exact same as Dragon Ball manga, it would make the entire Super anime pointless.
Toriyama probably wont replace the ending of his manga with Super, stuff he doesnt really like...
Guess what? Toriyama dislikes old stuff, that's why he keeps getting forgetting. He has no interest what happened in the past. Based on his previous interview, a retcon is inevitable. Just have to see how big the retcon is
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

SuperSaiyanBatman
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanBatman » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:10 pm

Before Future Trunks leaves the present to return home would be my serious guess at this point.

I doubt Super would time skip for anything so there's not much you could actually do with Bra at the moment, I just want some fun downtime stuff with Dad Vegeta, Big Brother Trunks and interactions between Future Trunks and her. Oh, and Jaco/Tights etc for whatever. Fun stuff in-between fighting/serious arcs would be a plus, but that's me.