A possible plothole? SPOILERS

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GodVegetto91
Banned

A possible plothole? SPOILERS

Post by GodVegetto91 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:40 am

If it was stated that Beerus died in the future that is. It doesn't make sense, even if Kaioshin was killed by Dabra, we still have the Old Kaioshin being locked up inside the Z Sword. So assuming his function didn't cease because he was technically still alive. We know that for the simple fact that he was still alive in our timeline when he was released from the broken Z Sword.
So as long as old Kaioshin was alive so is Beerus.
And remember this should only be logical. Beerus is linked as long as even just 1 Kaioshin is left. If there are 5 Kaioshins, then even if 4 get killed, it shouldn't matter to Beerus because there's always 1 Kaioshin left. He should always be linked to the last living Kaioshin.
Last edited by GodVegetto91 on Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: A possible plothole?

Post by Kanassa » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:43 am

Wait, what? Beerus is dead? The hell are you talking about?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:47 am

Kanassa wrote:Wait, what? Beerus is dead? The hell are you talking about?
[spoiler]Apparently, it was stated in chapter 15 of Super's manga that the life of the Hakaishin is linked to the Kaioshin(s?), so if the Kaioshin(s?) die, the Hakaishin dies as well. It was stated in the chapter that Kaioshin helped Trunks against Dabra, but he was killed by Dabra in the process, which caused Beerus in Trunks' timeline to die.[/spoiler]

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:01 pm

Khin wrote:
Kanassa wrote:Wait, what? Beerus is dead? The hell are you talking about?
[spoiler]Apparently, it was stated in chapter 15 of Super's manga that the life of the Hakaishin is linked to the Kaioshin(s?), so if the Kaioshin(s?) die, the Hakaishin dies as well. It was stated in the chapter that Kaioshin helped Trunks against Dabra, but he was killed by Dabra in the process, which caused Beerus in Trunks' timeline to die.[/spoiler]
Well... The gods of destruction have an easy kill switch then?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:07 pm

You should really add a warning about spoilers. The Super Section being the exception.
Regarding the topic, better to wait for everything to be revealed. Maybe the link only works with "active" Kaioshins?

GodVegetto91
Banned

Re: A possible plothole? SPOILERS

Post by GodVegetto91 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:22 pm

It makes sense now given Toriyama's recent quote about the Kaioshins in an interview.
The Kaiōshin

The Kaiōshin are said to have the highest status in the universe, but how can you become a Kaiōshin?
No one can. Kaiōshin are born as Kaiōshin. There are three of them, and they work in shifts. Though there are two of them on duty now, if one of the Kaiōshin were to die in an accident, then the currently-inactive Kaiōshin would grow in the Kaiōshin Realm like a plant. If there aren’t any accidents, then it’s said their lifespans are about 75,000 years.1

So there are orginally 3 Kaioshins and if 1 of them where to die the currently inactive Kaioshin would be born. Kinda like a backup plan to ensure we aren't left with no Kaioshins. Obviously if the 2 active Kaioshins were to die, then the currently inactive Kaioshin would simply be born to fill in the place and take over.
So Beerus would never really have to die.

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:20 pm

Not only that but even in the past where Buu has been on a rampage killing mostly all of the Kaioshins... Why hasn't Beerus or Whis came to stop him?

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:22 pm

Kishido wrote:Not only that but even in the past where Buu has been on a rampage killing mostly all of the Kaioshins... Why hasn't Beerus or Whis came to stop him?
See the current discussion going on in the Super manga thread.

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:58 pm

Khin wrote:
Kishido wrote:Not only that but even in the past where Buu has been on a rampage killing mostly all of the Kaioshins... Why hasn't Beerus or Whis came to stop him?
See the current discussion going on in the Super manga thread.
I read it and it won't change nothing

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:25 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:It makes sense now given Toriyama's recent quote about the Kaioshins in an interview.
The Kaiōshin

The Kaiōshin are said to have the highest status in the universe, but how can you become a Kaiōshin?
No one can. Kaiōshin are born as Kaiōshin. There are three of them, and they work in shifts. Though there are two of them on duty now, if one of the Kaiōshin were to die in an accident, then the currently-inactive Kaiōshin would grow in the Kaiōshin Realm like a plant. If there aren’t any accidents, then it’s said their lifespans are about 75,000 years.1

So there are orginally 3 Kaioshins and if 1 of them where to die the currently inactive Kaioshin would be born. Kinda like a backup plan to ensure we aren't left with no Kaioshins. Obviously if the 2 active Kaioshins were to die, then the currently inactive Kaioshin would simply be born to fill in the place and take over.
Interesting that Zamasu was a Kaio and became a Kaioshin by promotion. This seems to be against Toriyama's explanation.

spencer7x7

Post by spencer7x7 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:17 pm

Hugo Boss wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote:It makes sense now given Toriyama's recent quote about the Kaioshins in an interview.
The Kaiōshin

Interesting that Zamasu was a Kaio and became a Kaioshin by promotion. This seems to be against Toriyama's explanation.
I'm guessing that explanation only applies for Universe 7, or Toriyama most likely he forgot about that.
Penguin eating fish.

(o< <º))))><
//\
V/_

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:20 pm

Kishido wrote:I read it and it won't change nothing
How the hell that it change nothing ? It was stated that as long as Elder Kaioshin stays alive, Beerus would be fine. So there is no reason for Whis and Beerus to go to Kaioshin Realm and destroy Majin Boo. Heck, it was even shown how Whis was worried about Beerus when the Kaioshins was killed, but he realized that Beerus would be fine as long as Elder Kaioshin stays sealed in the Z-Sword.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:23 pm

OP: It doesn't make sense to make a new thread for this right now when the ongoing discussion is being dominating by this topic in the Super Manga thread. Also, the chapter hasn't even dropped or been translated remotely in full yet, so this is massive over-speculation with almost no basis to go on.

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:42 am

Khin wrote:
Kishido wrote:I read it and it won't change nothing
How the hell that it change nothing ? It was stated that as long as Elder Kaioshin stays alive, Beerus would be fine. So there is no reason for Whis and Beerus to go to Kaioshin Realm and destroy Majin Boo. Heck, it was even shown how Whis was worried about Beerus when the Kaioshins was killed, but he realized that Beerus would be fine as long as Elder Kaioshin stays sealed in the Z-Sword.
Yeah and why there is no Beerus in the future? There was no in the future

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:33 pm

Do we think Kaioshin dying was a Toriyama thing?

Surely this would have made it into the anime

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:36 pm

Krillin1994 wrote:Do we think Kaioshin dying was a Toriyama thing?

I actually suspect it's a Toyotarou-with-Toriyama-permission thing until it actually influences the plot. It seems like a super fan looking for an explanation for Future Beerus' absence, when I don't really think it's something that needs explaining at all.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:41 pm

Cipher wrote:

I actually suspect it's a Toyotarou-with-Toriyama-permission thing until it actually influences the plot. It seems like a super fan looking for an explanation for Future Beerus' absence, when I don't really think it's something that needs explaining at all.
Yeah, having the Kaioshin and Hakaishin all linked is a pretty fucking stupid concept and reeks of a plot device just to keep Beerus out of any major conflicts with Goku Black.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:22 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Cipher wrote:

Yeah, having the Kaioshin and Hakaishin all linked is a pretty fucking stupid concept and reeks of a plot device just to keep Beerus out of any major conflicts with Goku Black.
I am willing to give Toyotarou the benefit of the doubt. This seems kind of big information to just be something he pulled out of his butt. Although, the twist raises a lot of questions, like what happened to Whis after Beerus die, why didn't Zen-O intervene and appoint new gods, why didn't new Kais come the tree, Old Kai is still alive so why did Beerus die, and how did Trunks allow the Supreme Kai to die?
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:47 pm

I'd also query whether the bond is restored after kibitokai split.

A fusion is a different entity so you wouldn't technically be the person Beerus got linked with (same goes for old Kai).

I'm envisioning like the dragonballs disappeared when Kami fused with piccolo since the dragonballs were linked to Kami.

So Beerus should be dead if he was linked to old Kai (pre witch) or Kaioshin.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:49 pm

Krillin1994 wrote:I'd also query whether the bond is restored after kibitokai split.

A fusion is a different entity so you wouldn't technically be the person Beerus got linked with (same goes for old Kai).

I'm envisioning like the dragonballs disappeared when Kami fused with piccolo since the dragonballs were linked to Kami.

So Beerus should be dead if he was linked to old Kai (pre witch) or Kaioshin.
My assumption for this mechanic would be that if there are no acting Kaioshin, there can be no acting God of Destruction. That way it wouldn't matter if Old Kaioshin could still technically be released from the Z-Sword, if it's a safeguard meant to maintain universal balance.

If both are gone, you'd have to wait until both new Kaioshin (singular or plural) and a new God of Destruction can be appointed.

My issue with this as a plot point meant to address what Beerus is doing re: Black, is that it doesn't answer what Whis is doing re: Black, unless he's just that much of a cosmic nihilist. (Which I think is fine as an explanation for both him and Beerus; hence my finding it slightly unnecessary and overly complex.)

As a counter-argument, in defense of this detail, if Black really is Zamasu, or is connected to him, and his goal is to wipe out all sentient life in the universe, he would have to anticipate running into the God of Destruction at some point, and know the encounter probably wouldn't go well. I guess I'm interested in seeing whether this is revisited and if it winds up feeling really necessary once we fully understand Black's goals.