FUNimation to release the Spanish Dub On DVD!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:46 pm

7+, eh? That's odd... FUNimation releasing an edited Mexican version is just plain dumb, but given their history with Dragonball... :roll: I'd be willing to bet that the standards are more much relaxed for Latino television, and since this is obviously aimed at a Latino audience... It's uncut.

Strongbad456
Beyond Newbie

Post by Strongbad456 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:48 pm

Ehh I'll definitely pass on these dvds. Chances are there won't be single English translation on there so there's no reason for me to get it, even if it does have Dragon Box footage.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:50 pm

Kind of strange since other than those Disney Miyazaki movies, usually don't hear about anime being released in the States with a language option other than English or Japanese.

Magica
Regular

Post by Magica » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:52 pm

Strongbad456 wrote:Ehh I'll definitely pass on these dvds. Chances are there won't be single English translation on there so there's no reason for me to get it, even if it does have Dragon Box footage.
Not to sound picky or prejudice or anything, but since most DVD's contain the Spanish sub for English DVD's, they should include an English sub selection on Spanish DVD's. =/

(My Mr. Bean movie I got in the mail a couple days ago has Spanish subs but not English ones. Talk about irritating).

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:30 pm

You know who'll definitely be exicted about this? Our very own Bardock the Mexican; he linked to a few videos of it in his sig a while ago.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:59 pm

God damn. This would be nice if it wasn't an edited version. >:| If it turns out to be unedited, I will so be all over these.

FDLink
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FDLink » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:32 pm

W00t. FUNi is releasing the Spanish dub. Who fucking cares. What FUNi should be doing is focusing its efforts on doing a mulligan on its Season One release.

This is disheartening. You're telling me there was actually enough fan pressure to convince them to release the Spanish dub, but not enough to change the aspect ratio back to 4:3? What the fuck is going on?

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:59 pm

I think it is probably easier for them to release the Spanish Dub than to fix the season sets. I mean, how many times would we have to buy DVDs of the Raditz episodes from FUNi?

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:24 pm

I am fucking excited about these DVD's, as most other people on this forum seem to be. I've been waiting for years to get a legitimate DVD release of the Mexican dub. As long as it's uncut and 4:3 nothing else really matters, I don't need subs because I'm Mexican, so I'm fluent in Spanish. And I don't need a Japanese track because the Mexican dub is pretty damn close to the original script.

I'm going fucking ape-shit! :lol: :twisted:

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:25 pm

Haha, funny stuff here. As many have already stated; I'm looking foreward to purchasing these dvds, if in fact they are in the aspect ratio of 4:3, as well as having the japanese included. Cover art is a total plus.

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Drabaz » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:27 pm

Wow this would be amazing. I'm not completly fluent in spanish (which is sad considering I'm Colombian and Peruvian) but i can say I'm about 85% fluent. If it's 4:3, has japanese track, and english subtitles, I will be completly on this thing 100%

7+. It probably won't be edited. Spanish kids at that age are crazy! They won't be emotionaly affected by watching Goku's naked butt.

Is this really a "Mexican" dub? Like they are producing it in Mexico? Or is everybody just choosing to say Mexican over South American, Spanish or Latino?

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:29 pm

I think they mean it was dubbed in Mexico. Like American English is different than British English, Mexican Spanish is different than Spanish in Spain.

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Drabaz » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:32 pm

But "mexican spanish" is not different from "south american spanish".

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:17 am

Drabaz wrote:But "mexican spanish" is not different from "south american spanish".
You're right about that, though there are subtle differences in dialects and such, they're the same. When we say Mexican dub we mean just that. The dub that was aired on television in Mexico, and on Telemundo here in the U.S.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:48 am

SatoSky wrote:
Drabaz wrote:But "mexican spanish" is not different from "south american spanish".
You're right about that, though there are subtle differences in dialects and such, they're the same. When we say Mexican dub we mean just that. The dub that was aired on television in Mexico, and on Telemundo here in the U.S.
I've heard that it was produced in Mexico for all of Central and South America.

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:45 am

SonGokuGT wrote:I've heard that it was produced in Mexico for all of Central and South America.
I honestly don't know, you may be right though. :?

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:21 am

While an actual fullscreen release of Dragonball Z from the Dragonbox masters sounds tempting (I don't give a damn about the Spanish dub, I'll take one in my native language before another) didnt the Spanish DVD's have their own technical problems?

I seem to recall someone pointing out that they had messed with the picture, tinting colors or something. If that's the case I'd rather just buy the singles from Japan and cut out the middle-man.

Kula
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kula » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:32 am

I didn't notice the run time. Only 3 episodes a disc at $10 each? With extra shipping, these could end up costing a pretty penny. Plus they may not even have English subtitles. I don't care about the Mexican dub, because I've never heard it and I just want the JP and English version.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:26 am

They're regularly supposed to sell for $12, so I would imagine DeepDiscountDVD and Best Buy would have them for cheaper prices.

I don't see why one would complain about the prices being under $20 though. I mean, FUNi's original DVDs had 3 episodes as well and retailed everywhere (except the two places I mentioned) for $24.95. o_o $16 over at Best Buy. So it's not like there's really much of a difference.

Hao_Kaiser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Hao_Kaiser » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:35 am

But didn't the UUEs have the Mexican dub of these episodes, or am I mistaken?

Seems like they could just continue the UUEs instead of going back to the begining of the series again.
[quote="Kunzait_83, on FUNimation's dub of [i]Dragon Ball Z[/i]"]"ACTION!!! EXTREME!!! AMERICAN!!!! PUNCHES TO THE HEAD!!! FUCK YEAH!!!"[/quote]
On [url=http://twitter.com/joey_blanton]my Twitter[/url], postin' some mad tweets.