Dragon Ball Super to Simulcast on Crunchyroll, Daisuki, AnimeLab

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Super to Simulcast on Crunchyroll, Daisuki, AnimeLab

Post by Deathbringer » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:34 pm

Very happy about this, even though I don't live in America I'm glad to hear that the series is getting a proper official release. That news about Toei doing the subs themselves is slightly worrying, I mean of course it stands to reason that if there are English speakers that are good at translating Japanese to English there must be Japanese speakers just as capable of doing it to the same degree but from what I've heard about their One Piece subtitles I'm really hoping that by some miracle Steve Simmons was able to be brought on to do this or someone as good as him of course.

So people in Europe can use Daisuki to watch it for free? Interesting I'll check it out.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:42 pm

Not sure if this is off topic or not... but I find it kind of amusing how most of the big announcements for Super in America were complete surprises. Nobody was expecting Viz to get the rights to the manga, or the toyline occuring, or the simulcast. Unfortunately, not all of the surprises were good, like the Toonami Asia dub going AWOL.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:03 pm

I'm so happy with this. I have a premium membership for years. Nowadays, I was going just with Digimon and Naruto. I was about to cancel my subscription because Digimon comes once in a while and Naruto is nearing its end. They sure saved their trump card for the right time.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:26 pm

Deathbringer wrote:Very happy about this, even though I don't live in America I'm glad to hear that the series is getting a proper official release. That news about Toei doing the subs themselves is slightly worrying, I mean of course it stands to reason that if there are English speakers that are good at translating Japanese to English there must be Japanese speakers just as capable of doing it to the same degree but from what I've heard about their One Piece subtitles I'm really hoping that by some miracle Steve Simmons was able to be brought on to do this or someone as good as him of course.

So people in Europe can use Daisuki to watch it for free? Interesting I'll check it out.
Not all countries yet, some will be left out. Pfff. But they will announce that very soon.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:16 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:
Sodhi wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote:Still sucks for people in europe. How is it free?^
It's free if you watch it on Daisuki.
Thanks!
NOT because i don't want to pay..(i'd LOVE to support them!) but because i CAN'T. It's physically impossible from where i live. My only available payment method is something they call "ideal" and they don't have that in other countries. Only where i live. So i couldn't support them even if i wanted to.
Crunchyroll accepts paypal which is available in 202 countries and 25 currencies https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/country-worldwide

You can even add money to a paypayl account with iDEAL https://www.paypal-opwaarderen.nl/nl/opwaarderen

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:15 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote:
Sodhi wrote: It's free if you watch it on Daisuki.
Thanks!
NOT because i don't want to pay..(i'd LOVE to support them!) but because i CAN'T. It's physically impossible from where i live. My only available payment method is something they call "ideal" and they don't have that in other countries. Only where i live. So i couldn't support them even if i wanted to.
Crunchyroll accepts paypal which is available in 202 countries and 25 currencies https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/country-worldwide

You can even add money to a paypayl account with iDEAL https://www.paypal-opwaarderen.nl/nl/opwaarderen
Uhm no i just checked. They only had the following options.
Payment method:
Visa
Mastercard
Amex
None

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:27 am

GodVegetto91 wrote:
UpFromTheSkies wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote: Thanks!

Uhm no i just checked. They only had the following options.
Payment method:
Visa
Mastercard
Amex
None
They definitely have a paypal option, that's how I'm paying

If you don't see it, try emailing them

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:54 am

Love this news. The timing of this is perfect too, since I really wanna see the upcoming episode of Super this week.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:17 am

The interesting part will be what kind of terminology they will use. Right now I'm most interested in finding out, if they will translate ningen as human.
While Herms argued why it was convenient to just translate it as mortals, so people wouldn't constantly be getting the wrong idea, the downside is people now thinking "mortals" is the actual translation of that word and so call it out, when they see the proper translation used elsewhere.

All in all, I hope we'll be witness to some proper quality subs.

EDIT: IT IS COMING TO DENMARK TOO??!!
Daisuki, I really do love you :P
[spoiler]That one was just begging to happen :lol:[/spoiler]
Last edited by dbgtFO on Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:40 am

People in UK its coming for you too :)
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-b ... am/.107936

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:17 am

dbgtFO wrote:The interesting part will be what kind of terminology they will use. Right now I'm most interested in finding out, if they will translate ningen as human.
While Herms argued why it was convenient to just translate it as mortals, so people wouldn't constantly be getting the wrong idea, the downside is people now thinking "mortals" is the actual translation of that word and so call it out, when they see the proper translation used elsewhere.
Maybe ningen isn't translated into "mortal" most of the time, but context matters in translation. If it's being used like it is in Dragon Ball to mean all non-god sentient beings, then I think using mortal is more correct for the context, since it conveys that meaning without confusing those who think "human = Earthlings". It's basically a synonym to human in this case, so I don't see why people would say it's not a "proper" translation; if it helps people to understand things clearer than the more literal word choice, then it's certainly not wrong (though I've been ingrained into Dragon Ball and been aware that they use "human" to include aliens for so long that I was frankly baffled that so many people were--and, in some cases, still are!--confused about non-Earthlings being lumped together as humans).

But yes, I also am curious about what types of choices they'll make, and how the quality will turn out. I don't really remember details about how the Toei translated JSAT special turned out (I don't remember it being bad, at least...but it's been so long since I watched it, I can't really judge it at this point). I would laugh and shake my head if they chose to use romanizations commonly found on merchandise instead of what we're used to (Gokou! Klilyn!) :P
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:52 am

Sodhi wrote:People in UK its coming for you too :)
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-b ... am/.107936
Glad to see it available in Norway. Not surprised it won't be available in France since rights are a mess there.

Vegard Aune
Advanced Regular

Post by Vegard Aune » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:58 am

sailorspazz wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:The interesting part will be what kind of terminology they will use. Right now I'm most interested in finding out, if they will translate ningen as human.
Maybe ningen isn't translated into "mortal" most of the time, but context matters in translation. If it's being used like it is in Dragon Ball to mean all non-god sentient beings, then I think using mortal is more correct for the context, since it conveys that meaning without confusing those who think "human = Earthlings". It's basically a synonym to human in this case, so I don't see why people would say it's not a "proper" translation; if it helps people to understand things clearer than the more literal word choice, then it's certainly not wrong (though I've been ingrained into Dragon Ball and been aware that they use "human" to include aliens for so long that I was frankly baffled that so many people were--and, in some cases, still are!--confused about non-Earthlings being lumped together as humans).

But yes, I also am curious about what types of choices they'll make, and how the quality will turn out. I don't really remember details about how the Toei translated JSAT special turned out (I don't remember it being bad, at least...but it's been so long since I watched it, I can't really judge it at this point). I would laugh and shake my head if they chose to use romanizations commonly found on merchandise instead of what we're used to (Gokou! Klilyn!) :P
"Mortals" indicates all life, though, so the problem of people misunderstanding isn't really solved. It just switches the focus of Zamasu's ire from homo sapiens to literally everything. Given the way the whole Planet Babari incident played out, I think we can assume that his disdain doesn't cover quite that much.

Also holy cardgames on motorcycles Norway is actually getting this?! That is a pleasant surprise. Hope the CR-version will be available to us too though, so I won't have to subscribe to another service now that I'm also thinking of re-subscribing to Crunchyroll.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:06 am

Yes! The Netherlands confirmed by Daisuki!! :)
I can rest in peace now.

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:17 am

Canadian resident here. I had Crunchyroll on my iOS device, but can y'all explain the difference between free and paid services?

It's about time Crunchyroll gets DBS. I'm nearly tired of watching Dragon Ball on KeyHoleTV and other streams in the past.
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:29 am

So hold on a second. The show will be available with English, Russian, and Spanish subtitles throughout Europe. However, Spain will specifically not have access to the Spanish subtitles.

...WHAT?!
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:26 am

ArchedThunder wrote:Surprised the main Kanzenshuu site hasn't posted this yet.
Crunchyroll hasn't made a post yet either.
I also find this interesting. ANN is often on the ball, but has been known to report misinformation, so maybe they're waiting for more details from other sources?

I will say, I had retweeted something from Crunchyroll that I was going to point to as more direct info from the source, but that tweet has disappeared for some reason! Very strange....... Either way, ANN seems pretty confident. They've already hired a writer for weekly reviews. Guess we'll find out this weekend!

Also, I will comment that the wording about Free vs. Paid users is a little vague:
The simulcast will begin with episode 63 on October 22 at 9:00 p.m. EDT. The streaming platforms will also offer the full Future Trunks arc (beginning with episode 47). Starting on October 30, the platforms will offer 10 of the earlier episodes per week.

The stream will be available on Crunchyroll in the United States, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand for both free users and subscription members. Crunchyroll subscription members in Latin America and South Africa will also be able to watch the stream.
The way CR tends to work is that the stream of all old episodes are available for free, while the newest episode is behind a paywall for 1 week. It's not COMPLETELY clear if they are referring to this chunk of Future Trunks episodes + past episodes being free, or if even the newest episode will be free as well. I know One Piece is an exception where even the newest episodes are free, hopefully DB will as well. I pay for CR already, so I'm happy, but I know folks who don't subscribe to CR and the paywall may be enough to make them continue following pirate streams :?

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:28 am

Ahhh, here is the post that the deleted CR tweet linked to http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-9 ... =community

So this is still around, seems pretty solid. They say the simulcast is available for free users as well! :clap:

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:49 am

The Netherlands is among them! xD
http://motto.daisuki.net/info/detail/374