The Source of "HIS POWER LEVEL IS MAXIMUM"?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

The Source of "HIS POWER LEVEL IS MAXIMUM"?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:24 am

lol. Found it.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Re: The Source of "HIS POWER LEVEL IS MAXIMUM"?

Post by Vijay » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:51 am

Is this supposed to be a.....trolling thread dedicated to troll Broly or

An indirect hit targetting maturity level of certain section of fandom?

Either way, I find Broly's addictive/influencing persona or design to be major contributor to such claims

Just like most DBZ characters. Ultimate Gohan, Vegito, Beerus etc

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:28 am

I thought everyone knew that was the source of the phrase/meme.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:24 am

I thought this thread about the kid who sent that letter and where it was published at. Nice clickbait.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:57 am

SHINOBI-03 wrote:I thought this thread about the kid who sent that letter and where it was published at. Nice clickbait.
Right, I feel the same way. This is Kanzenshuu's forum - there's an expectation that more context will be provided.

Where was the image published? When was it published? Is it verified to be legitimate? When did it start gaining traction online? All these questions are worth investigating and discussing.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:22 am

VegettoEX wrote:
SHINOBI-03 wrote:I thought this thread about the kid who sent that letter and where it was published at. Nice clickbait.
Right, I feel the same way. This is Kanzenshuu's forum - there's an expectation that more context will be provided.

Where was the image published? When was it published? Is it verified to be legitimate? When did it start gaining traction online? All these questions are worth investigating and discussing.
Well I know it's around 2004, because the picture on the right mentions Danny Phantom. So that's something I guess.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:34 am

I find it odd Know Your Meme does not have an entry for it despite it being one of the more popular/infamous DB-related memes. Google doesn't have anything helpful and every post questioning its source is not taken seriously so we still don't have anything solid about it.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:18 pm

I apologize for all the shitposting I've been doing lately, I would never mock an innocent child with a love for Dragon Ball. I just wanted to share the origin of that meme. It seems everyone already knew. I wish I had shared that in a more innocent and wholesome thread.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:24 pm

I've never heard of this and had no idea it was popular. What if this kid grew up to be a Kanzenshuu user and found this post?
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:54 pm

Then I would kill myself out of shame, I hate being embarrased. In my defense, I love Children and I would never make fun of a kid.

I wish I had made this less ambiguous.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:30 am

VegettoEX wrote:

I did some research and it looks like The Fresno Bee - http://www.fresnobee.com/news/special-reports/kids-day/ .

The bottom right hand portion of their mascot can be seen in the upper left hand corner of the photo.
the primary news source for the central San Joaquin Valley, covering a six-county area that is one of the fastest-growing regions in California. The Fresno Bee's website is the most-visited website in the region.

Read more here: http://www.fresnobee.com/customer-servi ... rylink=cpy
There's no fast/easy way to search their archives, but they are searchable for any who'd like to try sifting through them for the full article.

On further research, both Winx Club and Danny Phantom started in 2004. Funi released their dub of the first Brolli movie in 2003.

This means Markus Johnson (8 at the time) is now in his early 20's at the oldest, or in his late teens at the youngest.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:45 pm

Nice work, Chuquita. I can confirm that this image and the resulting meme comes from the Fresno Bee newspaper. I did the same research back in 2011 when I was living in Fresno, California. I called the Fresno Bee and asked some questions to their journalists. I also sent in the image and asked them to confirm if that was their paper. They said that it was.

I meant to write a blog post about this topic, but I never ended up doing so. I should do that.
Author of Dragon Ball Culture and the It's Over 9,000! book: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/books and The Dao of Dragon Ball website: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:58 pm

Got to be one of the most pointless memes I've ever seen. I can't find anything funny or clever about it, with or without historical context.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:53 pm

NitroEX wrote:Got to be one of the most pointless memes I've ever seen. I can't find anything funny or clever about it, with or without historical context.
Well, it is funny. The fact that a 8 year old was so enthralled by Broly and managed to find a humorous description that fits Broly's over the top nature perfectly in a few words is both impressive and funny.

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:02 pm

"His Power is Maximum" or "His Power Level is MAXIMUM" was a popular saying in the English-speaking Dragon Ball and online nerd community's for several years after this image started making the rounds during the mid-to-late 2000s. It was applied to anything that was 'to the extreme.' Kind of like "It's Over 9,000!" but without the numerical connotation. More like, 'beyond belief' or 'beyond your comprehension.'
Author of Dragon Ball Culture and the It's Over 9,000! book: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/books and The Dao of Dragon Ball website: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog