Have you ever saw Dragon Ball to anime/manga as 2pac is to Hip-Hop?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PelicanDynasty
Beyond Newbie

Re: Have you ever saw Dragon Ball to anime/manga as 2pac is to Hip-Hop?

Post by PelicanDynasty » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:32 pm

This is definitely getting a bit off topic with the whole who's better debate, but to answer the original question I think simply as icons of the 90's within their respective communities, yes, they are quite alike. I never saw it like that before, but I don't think that's an unfair comparison.

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:52 pm

DB can be the De La Sol of anime. Late 80's-mid 90's, colorful, fun, positive-minded, strength in self/friends and the future, silly, and serious when it wants to be. Although I'm sure that Tupac has sold waaayyy more, especially after his "death". The groups/artists that have been the best about positive message and no gimmicks in rap/hip-hop, imo, are not the most popular, such as: De La Sol, A Tribe Called Quest, and The Roots,etc.
Vegeta123 wrote:Dont compare a thug to a beloved show. The only good thug is a dead one.
What about Bone Thugs-N-Harmony? Those chill melodies about life, death, recreational drug use, and "papping". :P

They were like the Angels of Death in the hip-hop world -- Notorious B.I.G. and Tupac (2pac) both collaborated with them, and they both were murdered shortly after (unless the "Tupac's alive" conspiracy is true). BTNH are the only artists to collaborate with both of them.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:59 pm

Super_Divine_Genki wrote:DB can be the De La Sol of anime. Late 80's-mid 90's, colorful, fun, positive-minded, strength in self/friends and the future, silly, and serious when it wants to be. Although I'm sure that Tupac has sold waaayyy more, especially after his "death". The groups/artists that have been the best about positive message and no gimmicks in rap/hip-hop, imo, are not the most popular, such as: De La Sol, A Tribe Called Quest, and The Roots,etc.
This is a really good comparison. 3 Feet High and Rising, The Low End Theory, and Things Fall Apart, are fantastic. As are De La Soul is Dead, Midnight Marauders, and Illadelph Halflife.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸