Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:12 pm

In Japan? YES! Internationally? NO! In particular One Piece flopped hard in Latin America.

And no shonen has surpassed DB Internationally. NONE.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:15 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:In Japan? YES! Internationally? NO! In particular One Piece flopped hard in Latin America.

i heard Dragon Ball is bigger in Latin America than North America.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:29 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:While I feel One Piece surpasses Dragon Ball in several areas like villains and world building, I still feel that Son Goku is a more interesting character than Luffy.
is one Piece the only Long Running Shonens that surpass Dragon Ball?
In terms of overall manga sales, yes. One Piece is king in Japan and has been since the mid 2000's, but the popularity of One Piece doesn't touch Dragon Ball's popularity worldwide
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:11 am

DragonBallKing wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:While I feel One Piece surpasses Dragon Ball in several areas like villains and world building, I still feel that Son Goku is a more interesting character than Luffy.
is one Piece the only Long Running Shonens that surpass Dragon Ball?
In terms of overall manga sales, yes. One Piece is king in Japan and has been since the mid 2000's, but the popularity of One Piece doesn't touch Dragon Ball's popularity worldwide
no i meant in terms of actual content quality.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:22 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: is one Piece the only Long Running Shonens that surpass Dragon Ball?
Dragon Ball wins in that field by MILES. There is no contest.

I gave One Piece plenty of chances. I stuck through from them getting the Sunny to the end of the beach filler arc. And at that point, I'd had enough.

The series holds itself in too high regard. It doesn't know when to end. It can't[/] end, because WSJ is basically forcing Oda to keep going. The only way One Piece will end will be when Oda is worked into an early grave by sheer exhaustion.

It goes ON and ON and ON and ON and has literally about a thousand episodes and HUNDREDS of chapters.

And it's not even halfway finished. It's been around for EIGHTEEN YEARS and we're not even halfway through?

It basically spends too much time patting itself on the back about how good friends the crew is.

It's an interesting concept...but a horrible execution.
"That's right, everyone of my race can become a giant gorilla!" - Tullece (AB Groupe dub)

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Post by jamiljamtheman » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:06 pm

I much prefer "Zamas" and "Gowas" to "Zamasu" and "Gowasu"

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:12 pm

Sailor Haumea wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
Dragon Ball wins in that field by MILES. There is no contest.

I gave One Piece plenty of chances. I stuck through from them getting the Sunny to the end of the beach filler arc. And at that point, I'd had enough.

The series holds itself in too high regard. It doesn't know when to end. It can't[/] end, because WSJ is basically forcing Oda to keep going. The only way One Piece will end will be when Oda is worked into an early grave by sheer exhaustion.

It goes ON and ON and ON and ON and has literally about a thousand episodes and HUNDREDS of chapters.

And it's not even halfway finished. It's been around for EIGHTEEN YEARS and we're not even halfway through?

It basically spends too much time patting itself on the back about how good friends the crew is.

i have heard One Piece fans say exact opposite thing and how One Piece had better plot, storyline, characters, Villains, themes, setting and world building.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:13 pm

For me its all subjective. I love both Dragon Ball and One Piece.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:47 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:For me its all subjective. I love both Dragon Ball and One Piece.
Same. Seriously, now that Naruto is not a major factor anymore (albeit Boruto is still a good anime surprisingly), I'm seeing the DB fandom start wars with One Piece instead for no reason. Why must there always be a rivalry with series whose creators are on friendly terms?

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:59 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote: But there is a sense of location in Namek, as I understand you would have wanted more diverse areas in... the aesthetics?
People seem to be missing the reality of just how big a planet is. In our world if you go from one country to another, you'll find different weather, topography, architecture, etc. Even going state to state in the US will yield the same results. And yet a whole planet is not only all the same but barely has any culture, has no difference in topography, has no weather, and doesn't even visually show the passage of time. It's a boring, lazily-constructed planet.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/29/24!)
Current Episode: Attack of the Member Berries - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 3

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:33 pm

I can see why the same thing over and over for MANY episodes would be boring, but that's still a lot of pencil mileage on Toriyama's part.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:06 pm

jamiljamtheman wrote:I much prefer "Zamas" and "Gowas" to "Zamasu" and "Gowasu"
Yea, while watching the arc in the dub I got used to these.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

PelicanDynasty
Beyond Newbie

Post by PelicanDynasty » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:34 pm

ABED wrote:I can see why the same thing over and over for MANY episodes would be boring, but that's still a lot of pencil mileage on Toriyama's part.
There is a fair reason for it to be the way it is, but that doesn’t make it less boring. Just understandably boring.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:17 pm

PelicanDynasty wrote:
ABED wrote:I can see why the same thing over and over for MANY episodes would be boring, but that's still a lot of pencil mileage on Toriyama's part.
There is a fair reason for it to be the way it is, but that doesn’t make it less boring. Just understandably boring.
Granted, but it's not confusing. We don't know where everything is in relation to other places, but we do know that it takes characters a while to get where they need to go.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:49 am

This one might be a little spicy considering the time of writing. Hopefully I'll make myself clear.
The flood of Bulma art that has come in light of Hiromi Tsuru's death is really sweet. That said, all the art where she's dead rubs me the wrong way. Like, first of all, Bulma isn't dead, her voice is, so draw her being mute. But that's not my point. The reason I don't like it is that it's cheap feels that doesn't really pay respects to the voice actress. Tsuru was a veteran voice actress with many large roles across tons of franchises. (Example: Ukyo in Ranma 1/2.) She was more than just Bulma, and reducing her lifetime of work into a character in that way... Well, it definitely leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Let's pay respects to the voice actress who has passed instead of pretending that her roles have died.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:59 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
Sailor Haumea wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:

i have heard One Piece fans say exact opposite thing and how One Piece had better plot, storyline, characters, Villains, themes, setting and world building.

it does .

and all the side characters gets their moments to shine

overall one piece is the better anime for me however i prefer dragon ball's art-style and humour more
My English is poor .

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:38 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:In Japan? YES! Internationally? NO! In particular One Piece flopped hard in Latin America.

One Piece may did poorly in the US with TV ratings, but it does have a strong fanbase in the US. You can still find One Piece stuff at places like Hot Topic and Books a Million.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:28 pm

Here's an opinion fact

UI goku is terrible, especially that aura...
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:45 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:UI goku is terrible, especially that aura...
You mean design-wise, right?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:37 pm

Noah wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:UI goku is terrible, especially that aura...
You mean design-wise, right?
Yes, the way it looks is simply unpleasant..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker