"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:56 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:54 pm Really like what I saw about the open world. That gameplay video is exactly the kind of video I was expecting.
Now I'm curious about the roster and story length.
I’m guessing it goes to Buu and the roster only has the heroes and not the villains.

And the minimum amount of heroes i can have is:

Goku
Kid Gohan
Teen Gohan
Adult Gohan
Vegeta
Piccolo
Krillin
Future Trunks
Gotenks
Vegito

The max would have Tien, Yamcha and Majin Buu (and Bardock assuming we get the special).
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:02 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:56 pm
FortuneSSJ wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:54 pm Really like what I saw about the open world. That gameplay video is exactly the kind of video I was expecting.
I’m guessing it goes to Buu and the roster only has the heroes and not the villains.

Goku
Kid Gohan
Teen Gohan
Adult Gohan
Vegeta
Piccolo
Krillin
Future Trunks
Gotenks
Vegito

The max would have Tien, Yamcha and Majin Buu (and Bardock assuming we get the special).
I could see villains or bosses being a secret unlock since they seem to work the same way as the player character combat-wise
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:03 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:56 pm

Goku
Kid Gohan
Teen Gohan
Adult Gohan
Vegeta
Piccolo
Krillin
Future Trunks
Gotenks
Vegito

They might offer some of the movies/specials as DLC.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

SaiyaSith
Regular

Post by SaiyaSith » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:25 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:45 am This is the one time I'm going to play a Dragon Ball game entirely in Japanese. The lip sync for the Xenoverse games in English drove me insane. Since this new game is heavily story-driven, I want to experience it without the lip sync throwing me off.
Not just the lip syncs, but the audio levels as well. Even in the intro scene of the game Trunks is super loud but you can barely hear what the Supreme Kai of time is saying. I have no idea how they could let that happen and still shipped.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:48 pm

I'm not sure what it is a lot of you guys are looking for visually. Like, I can understand the combat not looking appealing to everyone even though it looks fine to me. But these graphics are far from bad. Not everything has to look like FighterZ, and honestly, not everything should look like FighterZ either. I get it, FighterZ is good, it's graphics are AMAZING. But expecting every single Dragon Ball game post it's release to keep the exact same aesthetic is honestly kind of asinine. It's not going to happen, and if that's the high standards you have for every Dragon Ball game moving forward, then...I dunno what to tell you. You're going to have a bad time.
Kanassa wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:17 am Hey, the Pilaf Gang are back.
Wait, what? Where did we spot Pilaf? :shock:
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:51 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:48 pm Wait, what? Where did we spot Pilaf? :shock:

Goku passes them before going fishing.

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:03 pm

One thing that is great is flying seemingly in a vast open-world. I love that. It gives you an indescribable feeling. Flying around in Dragon Ball Online was beyond epic and it seems this game will deliver that same feeling, specially if we could fly in the most varied environments and reach specific places, like Korin's Tower, for instance.

Damn if this game does turn out to have the Bardock part and we can fly in Planet Vegeta... Insta-buy! :thumbup:
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:09 pm

Kanassa wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:51 pm
Gyt Kaliba wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:48 pm Wait, what? Where did we spot Pilaf? :shock:

Goku passes them before going fishing.
Ooh, nice! I missed that bit, that convinces me this game is going to have a ton of fun little easter eggs/other character appearances even if it does only cover Saiyan-to-Frieza.
Grimlock wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:03 pm One thing that is great is flying seemingly in a vast open-world. I love that. It gives you an indescribable feeling. Flying around in Dragon Ball Online was beyond epic and it seems this game will deliver that same feeling, specially if we could fly in the most varied environments and reach specific places, like Korin's Tower, for instance.

Damn if this game does turn out to have the Bardock part and we can fly in Planet Vegeta... Insta-buy! :thumbup:
I know, right? I remember having a ton of fun just flying around back in the days of Budokai 3, and a similar fun time flying around in the mashed-up world that Fusions gives us, but this? This is going to be even better I think.
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:14 pm

Eh, I always find that flying in an open world is a turn off to me.

Kanassa wrote:

Zeru14
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeru14 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:09 am

You know what would be fun, if this game has the option of Yamcha, Tenshinhan and Chiaozu surviving Nappa and Vegeta and going to Namek with Gohan and Krillin, like in the Super Nintendo RPG.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:31 am

So from what I gathered, this will be the console version of the Legacy of Goku series. Semi open world to explore, most likely going through events of the story . Not sure how far it goes, it seems like it may only go up to Free a but if it goes all the way to Buu, I can imagine going through a similar cast of playable characters.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:52 am

Cyber Connect 2? *Looks at Naruto Ninja Storm and Asura's Wrath* .... No Thanks! Pressing OOOOOOO to get through the game aint my cup tea regardless of how good it looks.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:02 am

goku the krump dancer wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:52 am Cyber Connect 2? *Looks at Naruto Ninja Storm and Asura's Wrath* .... No Thanks! Pressing OOOOOOO to get through the game aint my cup tea regardless of how good it looks.
Thank goodness I ain't the only one who thinks this. Even the PS2 Ultimate Ninja games had more depth than the Storm series.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:18 pm

The game looks beautiful and fun. What makes me disappointed is the fact that it's just another rehash of Z. As an ARPG lover I'll obviously buy and play it (twice), but why are the games so hellbent on ignoring the original Dragon Ball?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:30 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:18 pmWhy are the games so hellbent on ignoring the original Dragon Ball?
Because the companies behind the franchise don't believe it can make $$$. That's understandable, not because the original DB can't but because the companies act like it doesn't exist so it never gets a chance to make $$$.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:38 pm

sintzu wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:30 pm
IntangibleFancy wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:18 pmWhy are the games so hellbent on ignoring the original Dragon Ball?
Because the companies behind the franchise don't believe it can make $$$. That's understandable, not because the original DB can't but because the companies act like it doesn't exist so it never gets a chance to make $$$.
Is there anything we can do? I've played Raditz to Buu so many times that most of the games (and the show) lack replay value.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:39 pm

More screenshots courtesy of Bandai Namco's Facebook page. Can't help but notice that Characters option on the world menu, so still betting we'll be having a good handful of playable characters. If it really is just the 'Saiyan/Freeza' arcs, then probably we'll at least have 1) Goku, 2) Gohan, 3) Piccolo, 4) Kuririn, 5) Tenshinhan, 6) Yamcha, and 7) Vegeta (once on Namek anyway).

I'm also assuming the world map is showing what people mean when they describe this as semi-open world - it looks like we'll be able to select one of a bunch of zones to go to, and those areas will be pretty big and spacious to explore rather than us literally being able to go anywhere we want. Still looks plenty big enough to explore for me though.

Twitter

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:52 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:18 pm The game looks beautiful and fun. What makes me disappointed is the fact that it's just another rehash of Z. As an ARPG lover I'll obviously buy and play it (twice), but why are the games so hellbent on ignoring the original Dragon Ball?
I think the minigames and map exploration would be much more fun for a Original DB game, in Z most of the fun happened in the air, barren land or in another planet. ODB has more places and villages to go, Goku met many friends that way. I don't think there is much to explore in Z like there was in ODB, aside from just flying around for fun. Now that I think about it, it'd be awesome, you'd start just running or riding a bike with Bulma, then move on to Kinton, then learn to superjump and later on fly.
Anyway, it looks like this game is going to be the most immersive adventure ever in the Z world. I hope this means we'll get to travel to Namek, Kaio's little planet, Kaioshin kai to fight Kid Buu and not just Mt Paozu, Kame House and Capsule Corp...

From what I've heard, it is going to be all Z, not just early arcs. I'm excited considering the potential of recreating the Z world with 2020's technology.
The Kakarot name I feel is to distance itself from XV and FighterZ where you create your own character or are a lost soul that controls bodies, here you ARE the original characters.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:57 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:38 pm
sintzu wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:30 pm
Is there anything we can do? I've played Raditz to Buu so many times that most of the games (and the show) lack replay value.
I'd say support the original DB but the last release they put out was 10 years ago so most fans have it. They don't put out much for us to support so as of now there isn't much we can do.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:14 pm

Based on the screen shots Gyt posted, it seems we will also have level-ups. That means we need to grind out in order to advance the story. I wonder if we will have contents similar to Legacy of Goku series that we can keep ourselves busy when not focusing on main quests. I just hope for the story mode to not be linear.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.