What specifically was wrong with Vic Mignogna’s take on Broly?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: What specifically was wrong with Vic Mignogna’s take on Broly?

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:02 pm

omegacwa wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:47 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:43 pm
omegacwa wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:17 pm

I hate the inserted music. It feels so dropped in it's painful to me. There's only maybe one or two instances where I actually like the Dub music better. In the Trunks special when Trunks goes SSJ and when the group goes SSJ in front of Broly. The only reason I like them at all is because it's instrumental pieces.
It’s been a while since I’ve seen the dub with the replacement score, but didn’t they play the Mark Menza SSJ theme during that scene?
I actually have no idea. I've never seen the movie fully in English. For whatever reason I can only find English dubbed clips on youtube when I'm trying to find scenes I enjoyed. It's frustrating.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BB5sDXTXI-0

^Was this the theme that played?

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:10 pm

His Broly in most media he's done is good. It's not a performance I think is super exceptional or anything of the sort, but it gets the job done.

But over time, more aggressive acting with Broly has grown a bit weak. Especially the screams, as someone has pointed out. He's good in the calm scenes and whatnot, but in the battle scenes in the DBS Broly movie, it was a bit lackluster.

Overall, it's not a performance that was initially bad and he did the job good, but it's nothing to write home about IMO. Especially with how far Dragon Ball as come now in it's acting from Funimation.

Omniboy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Omniboy » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:00 am

While we are on the subject of soundtracks, one addition I always found weird was the song Lazarus, which was a retelling of a story from the bible in which a rich man treats a starving religious figure named Lazarus like crap only feeding him bread crumbs... only for the rich man to be sent to hell and begging the now deceased Lazarus to give him some water because of the flames... which is incredibly fucking weird for DB :wtf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAgYAsqPOo8

but I still kind of like it. Kind of creepy and eerie. Definitely prefer it to a lot of the hard rock. I used to like those but grew out of it as I got older.

As for Vic, I think he was good, but certainly not irreplaceable. He played the psychotic mass murdering juggernaut well, but I'm looking forward to see who else does Broly.