Fist of the North Star and Dragonball

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

samuraix123
I Live Here

Fist of the North Star and Dragonball

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:44 pm

Hey guys! I hated to make a topic about this but I recently just got into The fist of the north star anime from the early 80s and I was just curious, Did Toriyama get inspired by that series or anything to want to create Dragonball etc? It's not a big deal if he didn't. I was just curious because here lately shows that I either discover or what not are connected to other shows that I have enjoyed. like, I flipped out when I saw D from Vampire Hunter D standing in the background of a scene in FOTNS Movie and I looked into it and the person who made or helped made? VHD also was with FOTNS and they had D in there as a easter egg. I was just curious is all.
I figured if anyone had any knowledge about this that it'd be ya'll. haha
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Fist of the North Star and Dragonball

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:51 pm

I'm pretty sure he did take inspiration from it. Kenshiro did the Kamehameha pose before Goku did IIRC.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:04 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:51 pm I'm pretty sure he did take inspiration from it. Kenshiro did the Kamehameha pose before Goku did IIRC.
Really? Ha. That's neat. i'm not too far into the anime so i'll keep my eyes open for stuff.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
#1 Paikuhan fan!

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:11 am

Toriyama's editor, Kazuhiko Torishima said he specifically looked to Fist of The North Star and tried to steer Toriyama towards that series' style, basically using that as a bible in his editorial direction while also weeding out the parts of it that he didn't like in order to perfect its formula through Dragon Ball.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:04 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:51 pm I'm pretty sure he did take inspiration from it. Kenshiro did the Kamehameha pose before Goku did IIRC.
Did he? I know he shoots a ki blast in the series, but I don't remember it being the Kamehameha pose.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:05 am

The only one of Kenshirō's attacks that I recall resembling the Kamehameha is his Tenshō Honretsu during the battle with General Han, which was Raō's technique.

Being that both Hokuto no Ken and Dragon Ball are both rooted in Chinese martial arts fiction, it's only natural that they might share certain traits such as Qi-based fighting attacks and poses.

In the interview with Torishima mentioned above he states that he only read the first three volumes of HnK, and one of his biggest takeaways was that he thought it was too "preachy". He decided that DB should instead be a series without substance and just focus on being fun. He was also inspired by the action sequences in the HnK manga which led to the development of the Tenka'ichi Budōkai.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:49 pm

As already said in the above posts, Torishima used Hokuto no Ken as a reference, and there must have been a big influence on Toriyama as well. However, speaking of Raoh's technique that is occasionally considered to be the idea source of Kamehameha, initially it was actually more of a kiai sort of technique. It was later changed to a Kamehameha-like laser beam when it was used by Kenshiro. This happened after Dragon Ball had become popular. In this particular case, it seems that DB influenced HnK.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:58 pm

kei17 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:49 pm As already said in the above posts, Torishima used Hokuto no Ken as a reference, and there must have been a big influence on Toriyama as well. However, speaking of Raoh's technique that is occasionally considered to be the idea source of Kamehameha, initially it was actually more of a kiai sort of technique. It was later changed to a Kamehameha-like laser beam when it was used by Kenshiro. This happened after Dragon Ball had become popular. In this particular case, it seems that DB influenced HnK.

I'm not sure how old you are Kei but did you grow up watching fist of the north star when it aired? Just makin conversation haha
#1 Paikuhan fan!

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:17 pm

There is an interview with Toriyamas editor where he says that he had Toriyama turn Dragon Ball into a martial arts manga because of how popular Fist of the North Star had become. Without Fist of the North Star, Dragon Ball would have probably ended shortly after the first story arc and never become what it is today.