Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by Mr_CINDER » Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:35 am

I still dont understand why every trailer for this movie is under 1 minute.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:52 am

HeroR wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:42 pm
Jord wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:12 pm
HeroR wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:43 pm

They’re not. GT as a whole isn’t even that pops in Japan and Super already ignores GT in several aspects. They don’t go to EOZ before Toriyama doesn’t want to. There’s really nothing more to it.

It’s seem to be oversea fans obsessed with GT and 90% of that is over Super Saiyan 4.
Super also ignores Z in several aspects so by that logic Z also isn't that popular.

Several of GTs concept get significant spotlight in Super's anime succesor, the Heroes anime. The only current DB anime barely skips am episode without lending sonething from GT. Seeing that it's a Japwn only show, it does shine light on how popular these concepts are.

Of course, GT also got a lot of attention in the Heroes video games and the fact that FighterZ final 2 characters were both from GT shows that there is still a lot of interest.
The only real thing ignored in Z is Bulma’s five years statement.

Super and GT can’t exist in TFS same time because: Hell is different between versions so Super 17 can’t happen, Frieza is way weaker and he’s in GT, more wishes we’re made but no evil dragons, Shin isn’t fused anymore, Pilaf is friendly with the gang and isn’t old. And this is from the top of my head.

Also, the Dragon Ball Heroes anime isn’t a successor to Super anime, so not sure why that idea came from. It’s based on an arcade game that pre-dates Super by several years. It’s literally a promo anime.

As a whole. The only things widely liked about GT in Japan are the Super Saiyan 4s. GT is mostly seen as a forgettable anime that’s mostly kept alive in Japan by Heroes.
The Super anime ended March 25, 2018 while the SDBH anime started July 1st 2018. It may not be a chronological successor but production wise it certainly is. You can even argue that it's more successful than Super, costing much, much less to make and while making a lot of money for the brand.

Nagyzöld
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nagyzöld » Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:36 am

One thing that blew my mind first time watching the trailer was Gohan cosplaying Piccolo.

Even though I love both characters to death, this didn't sit right with me. Looks a bit weird honestly. :lol:

Also, why does the movie look like a video game? And why does the main antagonist look like Saitama? So many questions.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:07 am

Nagyzöld wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:36 am One thing that blew my mind first time watching the trailer was Gohan cosplaying Piccolo.
What do you mean cosplaying? Piccolo gave Gohan these clothes before the Cell Games, it's one of his combat clothes. It seems he dropped the Kame clothes back in favor of Piccolo, signalizing him getting further from Goku and his ways. Or just for nostalgia, who knows.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:14 am

It looks like Gohan will have somewhat of a leading role in this movie. I'm all for that, even though Goku is my favourite character it would be a refreshing change, and something that I think will make a certain portion of the fanbase very happy. I don't see Piccolo being killed off since he's in EoZ and Kai didn't ignore that.

I would prefer if it was animated like Broly, but I'll give the new 2D CGI hybrid a chance.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Nagyzöld
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nagyzöld » Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:31 am

LightBing wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:07 am
Nagyzöld wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:36 am One thing that blew my mind first time watching the trailer was Gohan cosplaying Piccolo.
Piccolo gave Gohan these clothes before the Cell Games, it's one of his combat clothes.
Well Gohan was 12 back then, I don't think those clothes fit him anymore so I'd say he went out of his way to ask Piccolo for a new set. Which even as his pupil is a bit odd to me. I understood the orange Kame uniforms, or Tien's and Chaotzu's crane uniforms, because they all attended a certain martial arts community. But Piccolo's clothing, with the bulky cape and Namek shoes, is just...his unique clothing. It's like, say, Goten and Trunks are randomly trained by Android 17 and then they show up in his exact ranger clothing.

I liked Gohan's gi in Boo saga more, because it was inspired by Piccolo's but still had unique elements. But that's just my brain bug.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:42 am

Mr_CINDER wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:35 am I still dont understand why every trailer for this movie is under 1 minute.
Because the movie is still not finished from a production standpoint and Toei doesn't really have much to show off. It's honestly night and day when you compare to how DBS Broly was promoted.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:41 am

Jord wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:52 am
HeroR wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:42 pm
Jord wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:12 pm

Super also ignores Z in several aspects so by that logic Z also isn't that popular.

Several of GTs concept get significant spotlight in Super's anime succesor, the Heroes anime. The only current DB anime barely skips am episode without lending sonething from GT. Seeing that it's a Japwn only show, it does shine light on how popular these concepts are.

Of course, GT also got a lot of attention in the Heroes video games and the fact that FighterZ final 2 characters were both from GT shows that there is still a lot of interest.
The only real thing ignored in Z is Bulma’s five years statement.

Super and GT can’t exist in TFS same time because: Hell is different between versions so Super 17 can’t happen, Frieza is way weaker and he’s in GT, more wishes we’re made but no evil dragons, Shin isn’t fused anymore, Pilaf is friendly with the gang and isn’t old. And this is from the top of my head.

Also, the Dragon Ball Heroes anime isn’t a successor to Super anime, so not sure why that idea came from. It’s based on an arcade game that pre-dates Super by several years. It’s literally a promo anime.

As a whole. The only things widely liked about GT in Japan are the Super Saiyan 4s. GT is mostly seen as a forgettable anime that’s mostly kept alive in Japan by Heroes.
The Super anime ended March 25, 2018 while the SDBH anime started July 1st 2018. It may not be a chronological successor but production wise it certainly is. You can even argue that it's more successful than Super, costing much, much less to make and while making a lot of money for the brand.
Not really since outside of Yammy, who has been doing Heroes before Super, and some guest animators, the staff isn’t the same.

It isn’t more successful since Super launched a new brand in Dragon Ball and took over the Z label in Japan. Which is more than Heroes ever did. That and the promo anime is Japanese only since it has no official sub. What you see are fan subs.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:04 am

PurestEvil wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:07 pm I don't know how I would feel about Gohan getting angry after Piccolo gets killed for a third time...
I mean no serious person considers the second time canon but yeah I agree with your sentiment
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:08 am

We are in for a treat when it comes to the music for this film. I've been listening to some of Naoki Satō's previous work and his music is fantastic. I loved the soundtrack for Sword of the Stranger.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:41 am

I am actually really happy about the change of composer. IMHO the music in Kai Final Chapter and Super was horrible and never sat with me, as it sounded more fitting for some Japanese produced video game or something like Legends. Never undesrtood why they went that way, as compare it to cool music like Naruto or One Piece (btw. found out recently that one of the duo of composers was arranging Dragon Ball themes before Kenji Yamamoto took over) has, hell even Saint Seiya spin-offs had great BGM made by the Gundam Seed composer.
And Dragon Ball gets weird synth bleep bloops with occasional synth orchestra and guitar.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:50 am

Yeah, I was wondering how long Sumitomo would be composing for, we've had him since 2013 so he seemed quite committed. Not familiar with Naoki Satō but I've got the Sword of the Stranger Blu-Ray still in shrink wrap. Should watch very soon to get an idea what to expect.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:15 am

TobyS wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:04 am
PurestEvil wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:07 pm I don't know how I would feel about Gohan getting angry after Piccolo gets killed for a third time...
I mean no serious person considers the second time canon but yeah I agree with your sentiment
You're thinking of the third time (the first time was against Nappa and the second time was when Buu destroyed Earth), i.e his death in the anime retelling of Resurrection F, I'm guessing? Though if anything, since PurestEvil also said third instead of fourth, I guess that just proves your point, nobody ever thinks about Piccolo's death in that arc. :lol:
(Unless you specifically mean "Gohan getting angry over Piccolo dying" and not just "Piccolo dying", in which case carry on.)
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:24 am

Alruneia wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:15 am (Unless you specifically mean "Gohan getting angry over Piccolo dying" and not just "Piccolo dying", in which case carry on.)
This is what we were talking about
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:44 am

Trailer 2 wasn't bad but it made me slightly less excited for the film, particularly the animation style.

VERY excited for a composer that isn't Sumitimo, though. Never thought he was quite right for DB. I think DBS Broly was his best work, so if he doesn't return to the series, I'm glad he went out on a high note.

Edit: Accidentally called Sumitomo "Shintani"...
Last edited by batistabus on Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:48 am

batistabus wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:44 am Trailer 2 wasn't bad but it made me slightly less excited for the film, particularly the animation style.

VERY excited for a composer that isn't Shintani, though. Never thought he was quite right for DB. I think DBS Broly was his best work, so if he doesn't return to the series, I'm glad he went out on a high note.
I think you meant Sumimoto Sumitomo?

In regards to Naoki Satō, nothing but hype for the upcoming OST, interested to see how his style mixes with Dragon Ball.
Last edited by Neo-Makaiōshin on Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:57 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:48 am
batistabus wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:44 am Trailer 2 wasn't bad but it made me slightly less excited for the film, particularly the animation style.

VERY excited for a composer that isn't Shintani, though. Never thought he was quite right for DB. I think DBS Broly was his best work, so if he doesn't return to the series, I'm glad he went out on a high note.
I think you meant Sumimoto?

In regards to Naoki Satō, nothing but hype for the upcoming OST, interested to see how his style mixes with Dragon Ball.
Yes...I'm sorry Shintani for inadvertently disparaging you.

I'm not very familiar with Sato, but I like what little I've heard, and I'm pretty much open to rolling the dice with anyone besides Sumitomo.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:15 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:41 am I am actually really happy about the change of composer. IMHO the music in Kai Final Chapter and Super was horrible and never sat with me, as it sounded more fitting for some Japanese produced video game or something like Legends. Never undesrtood why they went that way, as compare it to cool music like Naruto or One Piece (btw. found out recently that one of the duo of composers was arranging Dragon Ball themes before Kenji Yamamoto took over) has, hell even Saint Seiya spin-offs had great BGM made by the Gundam Seed composer.
And Dragon Ball gets weird synth bleep bloops with occasional synth orchestra and guitar.
I personally Sumitomo and his OST for Super more than the original Z soundtracks. Especially his themes for Black, Zamasu, UI, Super Saiyan God, and Beerus. And adore Birth of a God, Compromise, the Fusion Theme for Vegito, Trapped Between Past and Present, and that song that played when Trunks confronts Black near the end of 61.

That said, don't mind them using a different OST since they changed almost everything from the normal Dragon Ball staff.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:21 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:48 am

I think you meant Sumimoto Sumitomo?

Music will play a good role in intense battle scenes, but I am not too sure about the movie director Tetsuro Kodama because that is the most important part of any film.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:50 pm

I like the idea of Gohan/Piccolo dealings with the Gammas, while Goku/Vegeta stay trai ning on Beerus' planet. Bonus point if more z- fighters show up to help them, excluding Goku/Vegeta.

DB movie posters always show the main villains/antagonists. Gamma 1 and 2 can still fuse and create Gamma 3, but as far as new characters goes this is it for this movie.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.