Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:21 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:09 am
Noah wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:34 pm
Lord Beerus wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:01 pm
There's still the manga. But it's bizarre how much the content Toyotaro has been producing is seemingly flying under the radar for the likes of Toei and even Bandai.
Actually it's bizarre how people to this day pretends that side manga that's it's initial concept was to the promote the anime could serve as anything valuable to the likes of Toei and even Bandai.

Tbf they used the whole future trunks vs dabura and Bobidi thing in Kakarot which came from Toyotaro. So Bandai has shown they will use some of his ideas from the manga when they choose too. But also why have him continue the Manga if you aren’t gonna do anything with it? Your not promoting the anime since it’s no longer airing & the manga doesn’t sell that well anyways.

Unless they gonna completely stop making new DB games/products in the next 2-3 years bc i don’t see how anything will continue if they don’t use new material you can only sell the same Z/GT/Super arcs/characters we’ve seen for so long before it gives diminishing to 0 returns

It’s just a lot of Radio silence for a long time wish they’d be clearer with the fandom
Was it conformed that it was Toyotaro's idea? Because i think the anime did that story first if i remember correctly.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:54 am

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:21 am

Actually it's bizarre how people to this day pretends that side manga that's it's initial concept was to the promote the anime could serve as anything valuable to the likes of Toei and even Bandai.

Tbf they used the whole future trunks vs dabura and Bobidi thing in Kakarot which came from Toyotaro. So Bandai has shown they will use some of his ideas from the manga when they choose too. But also why have him continue the Manga if you aren’t gonna do anything with it? Your not promoting the anime since it’s no longer airing & the manga doesn’t sell that well anyways.

Unless they gonna completely stop making new DB games/products in the next 2-3 years bc i don’t see how anything will continue if they don’t use new material you can only sell the same Z/GT/Super arcs/characters we’ve seen for so long before it gives diminishing to 0 returns

It’s just a lot of Radio silence for a long time wish they’d be clearer with the fandom
Was it conformed that it was Toyotaro's idea? Because i think the anime did that story first if i remember correctly.
The anime only did a tiny cutscene of that. What made it into Kakarot was Trunks training with the z sword in the Kai outfit similar to how Gohan did (https://ibb.co/WsX893X )and the supreme kai and him both battling dabura and bobidi together to prevent buu with actually it showing him dying all which ended up in Kakarot (https://youtu.be/L54yBIPqNhs)
Last edited by ObnoxiousNamek on Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:59 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:50 pm The Moro saga seems to take place sometime after Broly ended and the Granolah saga happens right after Moro is defeated. Goku told the Heathers that the Earth Dragon Balls have been recently used. Meaning that they still need time to recharge after the wish was used in Broly.
The first few pages of the Granolah arc are right after the end of the Moro arc, but after that some months pass before Seven-Three’s distress beacon is picked up. (Or after he’s retrieved by Goichi but before Granolah steals him; can’t remember.)

Then several more weeks pass between then and the start of the Granolah-Goku-Vegeta fight.

Re: Future Trunks vs. Dabra in Kakarot: No indication whose idea that backstory original was, but regardless, the game cutscenes and dialogue for that part are adapted nearly 1:1 from the Super manga. Like, down to specific panels. Also, that scene isn’t from bonus pages; it’s its own main chapter near the start of the Future Trunks arc. Iirc it’s right at the start of Volume 3.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:32 am

Lord Beerus wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:01 pm
There's still the manga. But it's bizarre how much the content Toyotaro has been producing is seemingly flying under the radar for the likes of Toei and even Bandai.

They can at least milk Dragon Ball Breakers for some time with Super DLCs. There are at least 2 Super DLCs that come to mind:

- Future Trunks arc DLC, with Goku Black/Future Zamasu/Fused Zamasu as the raider, taking place in the ruined apocalyptic Earth. Originally I thought it was a travesty that this wasn't included at launch, but now I realize that it's a genius move. It ensures content for the future that they can milk, and since Goku Black/Zamasu are the most popular and iconic antagonists to come out of Super, they can milk that DLC.

And thematically it fits perfectly since Goku Black/Zamasu made it his mission to hunt down every remaining mortal, there are actual shots in the anime of Goku Black just walking around the streets, looking for survivors left to kill.

- Tournament of Power DLC where you can play as a fodder fighter from one of the weak universes (like the universe of Gowasu or the universe of Love or the Furry universe) or the raider (Jiren, Toppo, Kefla, etc. all these powerful contestants who hunt down the weaklings).

So anyway they got some milk they can produce with this videogame for at least one/one and a half years :think:

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:05 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:09 amTbf they used the whole future trunks vs dabura and Bobidi thing in Kakarot which came from Toyotaro. So Bandai has shown they will use some of his ideas from the manga when they choose too. But also why have him continue the Manga if you aren’t gonna do anything with it? Your not promoting the anime since it’s no longer airing & the manga doesn’t sell that well anyways.
I've always wondered about that. Toriyama is involved and it sells better than some manga that have had anime adaptations. I'm curious what kind of ideas fans expect from Toei if they're assuming the manga will be ignored. Many of Toei's old ideas were reimaginings of previous antagonists and I don't think that changed with their current staff. Anime original antagonists we've had in DBS were Copy Vegeta and the one from the Barry Kahn episode which were two space parasites inspired by Baby. I'm not sure how many ToP contestants they came up with but there were also a few more references to previous antagonists.

Moro is like an amalgam of several antagonists from the manga and movies and he has some henchmen for the other Z fighters to battle. Granolah is a reimagining of Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans but with a different race and not another Tuffle scientist like Myuu. These don't seem too far off from the kind of ideas Toei would come up with so I don't think they would ignore the manga only to reference or reboot others.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:44 am

New illustration by Chikashi Kubota - DBS Super Hero Character Designer

For those that don't know him, he worked on DBS Broly and was the character designer for One Punch Man. Hes a big DB fan.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:57 am

IT'S THE MASENKO!
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:36 am

Official Website reveals some brand-new info about DBS: SUPER HERO will be revealed during DB Games Battle Hour 2022!

Date: Feb 18 & 19

https://en.dragon-ball-official.com/news/01_749.html

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:54 am

Gt91 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:36 am Official Website reveals some brand-new info about DBS: SUPER HERO will be revealed during DB Games Battle Hour 2022!

FEBRUARY?! That's two months from now! :crazy:
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:58 am

Dragon Ball(TOEI Animation) also collaborating with FILA, heres the full line up https://www.cbr.com/dragon-ball-super-fila-sneakers/, which is awesome but need more marketing.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:15 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:32 am

They can at least milk Dragon Ball Breakers for some time with Super DLCs. There are at least 2 Super DLCs that come to mind:

- Future Trunks arc DLC, with Goku Black/Future Zamasu/Fused Zamasu as the raider, taking place in the ruined apocalyptic Earth. Originally I thought it was a travesty that this wasn't included at launch, but now I realize that it's a genius move. It ensures content for the future that they can milk, and since Goku Black/Zamasu are the most popular and iconic antagonists to come out of Super, they can milk that DLC.

And thematically it fits perfectly since Goku Black/Zamasu made it his mission to hunt down every remaining mortal, there are actual shots in the anime of Goku Black just walking around the streets, looking for survivors left to kill.

- Tournament of Power DLC where you can play as a fodder fighter from one of the weak universes (like the universe of Gowasu or the universe of Love or the Furry universe) or the raider (Jiren, Toppo, Kefla, etc. all these powerful contestants who hunt down the weaklings).

So anyway they got some milk they can produce with this videogame for at least one/one and a half years :think:
I don’t see breakers lasting that long tbh a lot of the dB game community has already written that game off I doubt they will support it. FighterZ is on its last legs and is desperately in need of rollback netcode if it’s gonna survive in the FGC for years to come. Xenoverse 3 much like the anime returning is a pipe dream.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:23 am

Skar wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:05 am
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:09 amTbf they used the whole future trunks vs dabura and Bobidi thing in Kakarot which came from Toyotaro. So Bandai has shown they will use some of his ideas from the manga when they choose too. But also why have him continue the Manga if you aren’t gonna do anything with it? Your not promoting the anime since it’s no longer airing & the manga doesn’t sell that well anyways.
I've always wondered about that. Toriyama is involved and it sells better than some manga that have had anime adaptations. I'm curious what kind of ideas fans expect from Toei if they're assuming the manga will be ignored. Many of Toei's old ideas were reimaginings of previous antagonists and I don't think that changed with their current staff. Anime original antagonists we've had in DBS were Copy Vegeta and the one from the Barry Kahn episode which were two space parasites inspired by Baby. I'm not sure how many ToP contestants they came up with but there were also a few more references to previous antagonists.

Moro is like an amalgam of several antagonists from the manga and movies and he has some henchmen for the other Z fighters to battle. Granolah is a reimagining of Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans but with a different race and not another Tuffle scientist like Myuu. These don't seem too far off from the kind of ideas Toei would come up with so I don't think they would ignore the manga only to reference or reboot others.
I think it goes back to one of the problems with DB now. Fans want something new that lines up with what they expect but still surprises them somehow and is also similar to the old stuff they hold dear.

What enemy haven’t Goku & co faced? except for other Gods,Angels & Demons (which they avoid like Hell for some reason). We’ve been through the Aliens,Wizards, & Androids thing many times before. Also what powerset haven’t they faced yet ?

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:42 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:23 am I think it goes back to one of the problems with DB now. Fans want something new that lines up with what they expect but still surprises them somehow and is also similar to the old stuff they hold dear.

What enemy haven’t Goku & co faced? except for other Gods,Angels & Demons (which they avoid like Hell for some reason). We’ve been through the Aliens,Wizards, & Androids thing many times before. Also what powerset haven’t they faced yet ?
I think that's why they are trying something new with gohan to fresh up, this movie could end up like some Pixar movie.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:40 pm

They made most of the TOP characters. The only Toriyama designed ones were Jiren, Toppo, Dyspo, Rib, and Cali.

Also, both are loosely Baby. Copy Vegeta is pretty original in that it makes a clone and kills the original over time. Berry himself was a villain before he got possessed and a very human SOB. And the parasite didn’t really possessed Berry. It just made him worst while giving him super powers.

For the most part after GT, Toei don’t do big Dragon Ball stories. So they would most likely wait for an outline from Toriyama.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:44 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:23 am

I think it goes back to one of the problems with DB now. Fans want something new that lines up with what they expect but still surprises them somehow and is also similar to the old stuff they hold dear.

Goku fought demons before. Demon King Piccolo and his Demon Clan and Dabura is literally the Demon King who came from the Demon Realm.

Goku fought gods. That was the whole point of Battle of Gods.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:23 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:54 am
Gt91 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:36 am Official Website reveals some brand-new info about DBS: SUPER HERO will be revealed during DB Games Battle Hour 2022!

The marketing decisions made regarding this movie continue to have me flabbergasted. They've done fuck-all to give any kind of insight as to what this movie is about and generate interest for its narrative.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:29 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:23 pm

The marketing decisions made regarding this movie continue to have me flabbergasted. They've done fuck-all to give any kind of insight as to what this movie is about and generate interest for its narrative.
They are also collaborating with FILA, that's good but need more marketing as I said

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:35 pm

HeroR wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:44 pm

Goku fought demons before. Demon King Piccolo and his Demon Clan and Dabura is literally the Demon King who came from the Demon Realm.

I’m talking about for Super mainly. Dabura wasn’t even a main villain for an arc he was a damn henchman lol. Piccolo being a demon got turned into being an Alien. & Gods not just Beerus alone since those two will probably never rematch ever.

I just wish we got new enemy types and new unique power sets that challenge Goku and Vegeta at the level they are currently at.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:58 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:23 pm

I mentioned this months ago too. but people had they fanboy goggles on and weren’t trying to see reason.

Compare the marketing of Broly to DBSSH it’s night & day. Brolys marketing was in a similar vein of how you’d market a MCU movie. From the trailers,interviews,etc. This movie has only brand name going for it in every aspect.

I’ve said this before all these things are red flags that something troublesome is going on in the franchise from up top that we don’t fully know about.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:13 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:35 pm
HeroR wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:44 pm

I’m talking about for Super mainly. Dabura wasn’t even a main villain for an arc he was a damn henchman lol. Piccolo being a demon got turned into being an Alien. & Gods not just Beerus alone since those two will probably never rematch ever.

I just wish we got new enemy types and new unique power sets that challenge Goku and Vegeta at the level they are currently at.
They still fought demons even if Dabura wasn’t a main villain and Buu is a type of demon because he’s called a Majin. So they fought ever type of enemy type outside of angels.
Kanassa wrote: