Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:53 am

Lord Beerus wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:23 am Volcano Ōta plays Magenta (The president of Red Pharmaceuticals...)
lmao, now Toriyama is taking a jab at drug companies?
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:19 am

capsulecorp wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:12 pm Yup, same. When the Broly movie was announced I was really kind of bummed. Reviving a boring character from an awful Toei film? No thanks!
Except you know, if it wasn't for that "awful Toei film", DBS Broly would never exist. It's all thanks to people who were fans of original Broly and Toei itself for making him.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:29 am

HeroR wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:34 am Edit: Your post have made me realized something. They probably feel okay making a movie like Super Hero because Dragon Ball movies traditionally don't make that much money and instead makes almost all its profits from the merch (think of how much Fusion Reborn sold vs all the Super Gogeta figures). So even if this movie doesn't surpass Broly, they can still call it a success if the merch sells are good.
before BOG every movie of Dragon Ball was released in event fair of Toei instead of putting them into theater, Demon slayer earned that much money because its a canon movie adapted directly from an ongoing manga arc and it seems Jujutsu kaisen also following this trend by adapting volume 0 into a movie which is coming out on 24th Dec(2 days to go). judging by the manga sells if this movie became a massive success then every other shonen manga will adapt manga arc rather doing their own short side story, Black Clover also adapting the Spade Kingdom Raid Arc from manga.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:35 am

So that small kid is actually Dr. Head?
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:48 am

MCDaveG wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:35 am So that small kid is actually Dr. Head?
Apparently he isn't even a kid, then
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:55 am

HeroR wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:34 amEdit: Your post have made me realized something. They probably feel okay making a movie like Super Hero because Dragon Ball movies traditionally don't make that much money and instead makes almost all its profits from the merch (think of how much Fusion Reborn sold vs all the Super Gogeta figures). So even if this movie doesn't surpass Broly, they can still call it a success if the merch sells are good.
That's possible. I don't think it needs to come close to Broly to be considered a success since only a few anime films from existing franchises surpassed $100 million. Pokemon's CGI remake of Mewtwo Strikes Back grossed $30 million so a CGI DB film with a new story should be better at least. I know some people were saying giving the fans what they want but even then that's not a guarantee for success. There were some Hollywood sequels or revivals that all they had going for them was fan service and they still lost money. I prefer Toriyama writing something he would enjoy than going a suggestion because they think it's popular.

I'm curious about the Wikipedia page for highest earning franchise. It looks the breakdown needs to be updated because they come out to $20 billion so that's $7 billion unaccounted for from the total $27 billion. I assume the majority was from video games. I remember someone pointing out that Bandai's DB revenue was like less than 20% from "toys and hobby" so the rest came from video games. It's interesting to compare it with other anime franchises since younger series like Demon Slayer or PreCure already have higher merchandise sales but not much in other categories yet.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:30 am

HeroR wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:34 am Detective Conan is one of those franchises that is super huge in Japan, but has almost no presence anywhere else. Which is why One Piece is fairly low despite being the king of Japan before Super.
The Americans turned it into “Case closed” so that may have something to do with it, Idk.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:11 pm

GhostEmperorX wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:30 am
HeroR wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:34 am Detective Conan is one of those franchises that is super huge in Japan, but has almost no presence anywhere else. Which is why One Piece is fairly low despite being the king of Japan before Super.
The Americans turned it into “Case closed” so that may have something to do with it, Idk.
Detective Conan was actually quite big in Germany.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:27 pm

GhostEmperorX wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:30 am
The constantly changing & extremely late night timeslot plus awful dub changes didn’t help either. Now the series is in the 1000+ episodes

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:23 pm

HeroR wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:59 pm Are we really used Youtube views? As someone who followed games, Youtube views rarely translates into sells.
Yeah I suppose it's just a very convenient coincidence when trailers make viewing records like Star Wars, Avengers and Spider-Man then go on to have record breaking openings.

Views generally signal interest, obviously. Between the lack of views for the Super Hero trailers and the pitifully low search results on Google which you happened to ignore. It's clear the more does not have much interest when compared to the last one.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:03 pm

Well, now that we have a proper trailer and a synopsis, I stand by what I said a few weeks ago regarding the seeming lack of buzz surrounding this movie.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:20 pm

Mr_CINDER wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:29 am
HeroR wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:34 am Edit: Your post have made me realized something. They probably feel okay making a movie like Super Hero because Dragon Ball movies traditionally don't make that much money and instead makes almost all its profits from the merch (think of how much Fusion Reborn sold vs all the Super Gogeta figures). So even if this movie doesn't surpass Broly, they can still call it a success if the merch sells are good.
before BOG every movie of Dragon Ball was released in event fair of Toei instead of putting them into theater, Demon slayer earned that much money because its a canon movie adapted directly from an ongoing manga arc and it seems Jujutsu kaisen also following this trend by adapting volume 0 into a movie which is coming out on 24th Dec(2 days to go). judging by the manga sells if this movie became a massive success then every other shonen manga will adapt manga arc rather doing their own short side story, Black Clover also adapting the Spade Kingdom Raid Arc from manga.
I literally mentioned that in the post. However, Broly was honestly their first major blockbuster. Battle of Gods and Resurrection ‘F’ did well, but they didn’t set the charts on fire and most the money came from merch, not movie tickets.

That and One Piece’s movies had adapted two arcs into movies. One of them being a reimagined. The other one is considered one of the worst One Piece movies because the arc they adapted was too big to fit 1.5 hours.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:37 pm

A bit of a side note, but is Broly the highest grossing film from Toei, in terms of the worldwide box office?

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:41 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:23 pm
HeroR wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:59 pm Are we really used Youtube views? As someone who followed games, Youtube views rarely translates into sells.
Yeah I suppose it's just a very convenient coincidence when trailers make viewing records like Star Wars, Avengers and Spider-Man then go on to have record breaking openings.

Views generally signal interest, obviously. Between the lack of views for the Super Hero trailers and the pitifully low search results on Google which you happened to ignore. It's clear the more does not have much interest when compared to the last one.
No company uses YouTube views to gauge how much a movie will sell. Using games again, Mario and Breath of the Wild have fewer YouTube views than other games, but guess what sold more?

Here’s another one, Frozen’s original trailer has over 37 million views. Sounds great, right? Spider-Man Far From Home has over 84 million. Guess which one sold better? Heck you mentioned Spider-Man, yet Far From Home did less than Black Panther, Iron Man 3, Minions, Aquaman, Beauty and the Beast, and Civil War. So despite having a great opening and great YouTube views, it still did worse than Aquaman with a first reveal trailer of 63.7 million which is still higher than Frozen’s trailer that stomps both. As for Star Wars, every movie passed Force Awaken did worse.

So why the heck are you using YouTube views unless you’re going to tell me people were more hyped for Minions and Aquaman than the second MCU Spider-Man movie that came out after Endgame. Same with Google, who do you got more searches. Spider-Man or Aquaman? Heck, Captain Marvel got a lot of negative buzz and people hoping it would flopped, and it basically tied with with Far From Home. And Aquaman is also an oddball since it sold more than DC's bigger franchises like the two Dark Knight movies. In fact, Aquaman is the highest grossing movie DC has made.

Here’s another one, Black Panther is nearly tied with the second Avenger movie sells wise. Which one do you think got more hype? It also beat Last Jedi, Fallen Kingdom, Deathly Hallows Part 2, and Civil War.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:37 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:37 pm A bit of a side note, but is Broly the highest grossing film from Toei, in terms of the worldwide box office?

Yeah 124 million

Dragon Wukong
Regular

Post by Dragon Wukong » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:29 pm

So...

Think we'll get to see an animated Masenkosappo?

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:52 pm

HeroR wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:41 pmHere’s another one, Frozen’s original trailer has over 37 million views. Sounds great, right? Spider-Man Far From Home has over 84 million. Guess which one sold better? Heck you mentioned Spider-Man, yet Far From Home did less than Black Panther, Iron Man 3, Minions, Aquaman, Beauty and the Beast, and Civil War. So despite having a great opening and great YouTube views, it still did worse than Aquaman with a first reveal trailer of 63.7 million which is still higher than Frozen’s trailer that stomps both. As for Star Wars, every movie passed Force Awaken did worse.

So why the heck are you using YouTube views unless you’re going to tell me people were more hyped for Minions and Aquaman than the second MCU Spider-Man movie that came out after Endgame. Same with Google, who do you got more searches. Spider-Man or Aquaman? Heck, Captain Marvel got a lot of negative buzz and people hoping it would flopped, and it basically tied with with Far From Home. And Aquaman is also an oddball since it sold more than DC's bigger franchises like the two Dark Knight movies. In fact, Aquaman is the highest grossing movie DC has made.

Here’s another one, Black Panther is nearly tied with the second Avenger movie sells wise. Which one do you think got more hype? It also beat Last Jedi, Fallen Kingdom, Deathly Hallows Part 2, and Civil War.
Completely different altogether. You're comparing movies from entirely different series against each other. You can't compare Frozen, a kid's movie, an original movie to Spider-Man which has a massive inbuilt audience who are going to be anticipating the trailers release ahead of time.

I'm not comparing Dragon Ball to Top Gun, Doctor Strange or Scream. I'm comparing it to itself. No Way Home made trailer view records, far surpassing Homecoming and Far From Home because it was far more hyped and so made far more money. Likewise Rise of Skywalker got far less views than Force Awakens because it was not as hyped and so made far less.

The same is happening with this movie. There is absolutely no denying that this movie has significantly less interest than Broly. It is not even close.

It's not at all surprising, Broly is hugely popular, his return and reimagining into the canon made for a lot of speculation and excitement leading up to it.

This movie has nothing like that. So far there has not been one unique worthwhile selling point for this movie. The closest thing would be the "CGI" animation which is working against the movie if anything.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:19 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:52 pm

Completely different altogether. You're comparing movies from entirely different series against each other. You can't compare Frozen, a kid's movie, an original movie to Spider-Man which has a massive inbuilt audience who are going to be anticipating the trailers release ahead of time.

I'm not comparing Dragon Ball to Top Gun, Doctor Strange or Scream. I'm comparing it to itself. No Way Home made trailer view records, far surpassing Homecoming and Far From Home because it was far more hyped and so made far more money. Likewise Rise of Skywalker got far less views than Force Awakens because it was not as hyped and so made far less.

The same is happening with this movie. There is absolutely no denying that this movie has significantly less interest than Broly. It is not even close.

It's not at all surprising, Broly is hugely popular, his return and reimagining into the canon made for a lot of speculation and excitement leading up to it.

This movie has nothing like that. So far there has not been one unique worthwhile selling point for this movie. The closest thing would be the "CGI" animation which is working against the movie if anything.
Agreed there’s nothing to excite people to this movie the looks and premise are boring as hell at best.

I think this movie is pandering to the section of the fandom that always complain ad nauseum about this series being the “Goku & Vegeta show”

or the classic “Remember when Yamcha/Tien/Gohan/etc” used to be important complaint :lol:

In any case I have a feeling after this disaster of a movie bombs Toei will hit the break in case of emergency glass and bring Cooler or Janemba back to save their reputation :D

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:36 pm

Nah, there is one selling point and it's the possibility of seeing a few characters older. If anything, that's what I'm looking forward to and I have a feeling more people will adhere to this once/if they finally reveal Goten and Trunks designs (well, I'm already a bit excited just to see Pan and Dende taller...).

Do not underestimate characters aging up/changing designs. Not only is this part of Dragon Ball and its charm, it is something some of us have been dying to see, so them finally doing it will certainly put some huge smiles on many faces.

I think the only problem so far is that they are rehashing Red Ribbon unnecessarily (and they won't even make nods to Android 9 and/or Android 21, to make it at least worthwhile revisiting the concept). Then again, unnecessary stuff is all they seemingly know, so oh well.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:30 pm

Grimlock wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:36 pm Nah, there is one selling point and it's the possibility of seeing a few characters older. If anything, that's what I'm looking forward to and I have a feeling more people will adhere to this once/if they finally reveal Goten and Trunks designs (well, I'm already a bit excited just to see Pan and Dende taller...).

Do not underestimate characters aging up/changing designs. Not only is this part of Dragon Ball and its charm, it is something some of us have been dying to see, so them finally doing it will certainly put some huge smiles on many faces.

I think the only problem so far is that they are rehashing Red Ribbon unnecessarily (and they won't even make nods to Android 9 and/or Android 21, to make it at least worthwhile revisiting the concept). Then again, unnecessary stuff is all they seemingly know, so oh well.
Yeah, I think Toei also underestimate how big of a draw it is to see the lesser seen heroes in action with updated designs. All three previous Toriyama movies heavily promoted the antagonists, but plenty of people do care about Gohan, Piccolo, Pan, etc. Yet over the last decade, Toei have had no faith in putting these guys anywhere near front and centre of a major movie's marketing until now.