Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by ZombieVito » Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:27 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:41 am My understanding is that Cell is not popular in Japan, he's not a popular villain. He's not comparable to Broly and Frieza. Goku Black is probably more popular than him despite being much more recent :lol:

Which makes sense, since Cell doesn't have much going for him, like at all. Once he gets his Perfect form, he just turns into a Goku/Vegeta clone who wants to fight people and have fun, with the added character trait that he's genocidal and evil.

They won't bring him back for a movie, he's not popular.
Goku Black is more popular than Cell based on recent polls.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:20 am

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:18 pm
Toxin45 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:49 pm I also heard leaks that cell might return cuz it is cgi
That's just someone's theory, nothing else. They drew Cell on Dragon Ball Z, they can draw him for a new movie. It's just a pain in the ass to keep him on model.
If Cell returns he will probably get a new form. Make that form without spots and the problem is solved.

Issei189
Beyond Newbie

Post by Issei189 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:22 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:41 am My understanding is that Cell is not popular in Japan, he's not a popular villain. He's not comparable to Broly and Frieza. Goku Black is probably more popular than him despite being much more recent :lol:

Which makes sense, since Cell doesn't have much going for him, like at all. Once he gets his Perfect form, he just turns into a Goku/Vegeta clone who wants to fight people and have fun, with the added character trait that he's genocidal and evil.

They won't bring him back for a movie, he's not popular.
If you look up the Japanese popularity polls from the 90s. You will see that even Kuririn and Mr Satan were more popular than Cell during the Cell Saga. So Yes, He really isn't all that popular in Japan.

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:19 pm

Cells only as popular as he is because of his design (Which isn't saying much), otherwise he's basically Moro.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:32 pm

Retan wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:19 pm Cells only as popular as he is because of his design (Which isn't saying much), otherwise he's basically Moro.
He has a cool design, but he has a lot more going for him than just that. In his earliest form, he's creepy. He stabs people with his tail and sucks them dry. But in that form, he's not prepared to take on the stronger members of the cast, so unlike someone like Frieza, he sneaks around. He's stealthy, waiting in the shadows for his best opportunity to strike. Once he obtains his power, his goal is to test the limits of his power and show his superiority over others. That kind of ego is unique to him. He's also a living representation of everything the heroes fought up until that point. He's a creation of the Red Ribbon Army, with the powers and characteristics of Piccolo, Vegeta, Frieza, and more. Goku basically saw all of his past foes in Cell, and that convinced him that the world was probably safer off without him.

Moro, by contrast, was basically what Babidi would have been like, if he could actually fight instead of rely on Buu to defend him. His arc had some superficial similarities to Cell's arc, but his skillset, personality, and goals were nothing like Cell's.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:36 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:33 am

I think if Star Wars can have a box office bomb with Solo then no property can be saved on brand name recognition alone. Granted that was also coming off the critically acclaimed but divisive among fans Last Jedi, which Dragon Ball has seen nothing like, even with entries with mixed reception like GT and Super.
The controversy surrounding this movie reminds me heavily of the Last Jedi and man was that a divisive movie.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:48 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:36 pm

I think if Star Wars can have a box office bomb with Solo then no property can be saved on brand name recognition alone. Granted that was also coming off the critically acclaimed but divisive among fans Last Jedi, which Dragon Ball has seen nothing like, even with entries with mixed reception like GT and Super.
The controversy surrounding this movie reminds me heavily of the Last Jedi and man was that a divisive movie.
The reactions to this film so far is in no way shape or form close to the severity of the Last Jedi's reception
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:03 pm

As I said while not all Dragon Ball has been universally loved, we've not had anything like Last Jedi yet where there is such a drastic divide between those who think its a misunderstood masterpiece and those who feel it ruined the franchise and all its characters.

Even with GT and Super, which have their share of devotees and detractors you would find very few that think either series is near perfect or absolute garbage. The divide between the reception of different fans is not even close to being that intense.

I'm not sure if there's ever been anything in pop culture like that, other than perhaps the final season of Game of Thrones.

Also when it comes to Super Hero, since it hasn't been released were talking about expectations, so a bit early to say whether it is or will be divisive or not.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:54 am

I don't agree with the idea of comparing this movie to the last season of GOT or the Last Jedi (which I haven't seen btw). Because the last season of GOT pretty much invalidated and ruined much of the story retroactively. Since this movie is shaping up to be filler/slice of life, it can't damage anything retroactively. If it flops, it will be just another GT/Evolution, something that people don't want to talk about, but didn't really ruin the franchise...

It's not important enough to cause massive damage to the franchise (like GOT Season 8 ) is what I'm saying.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:10 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:54 am it will be just another GT/Evolution, something that people don't want to talk about, but didn't really ruin the franchise...
Please, this comparison makes no sense. People constantly talk about GT. Over and over again, despite how short it was. Evolution will never get the 1/1000th of discussion or relevance that GT does.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:45 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:03 pm I'm not sure if there's ever been anything in pop culture like that, other than perhaps the final season of Game of Thrones.
There are a lot of such divisions in the anime world, probably the most known is Yamato. While the serie wasn't a lot of a success, the first movie was **uncanny** successful, beating the quoted Star Wars in Japan.
Anyway, most of early audience was unsatisfied by the "drastic" movie ending, forcing the production of a new TV show and movie that totally ignored the previous continuity. To the point the first movie was claimed to be not part anymore of the default continuity.

Another, recent example of a divisive choice was the "first canonical" ending of Evangelion, that forced retells, reboots and reprises to finally come to a narrative that was accepted by the large part of the target audience.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:17 pm

Xeogran wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:10 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:54 am it will be just another GT/Evolution, something that people don't want to talk about, but didn't really ruin the franchise...
Please, this comparison makes no sense. People constantly talk about GT. Over and over again, despite how short it was. Evolution will never get the 1/1000th of discussion or relevance that GT does.
I don't see this tbh.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:38 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:17 pm
I don't see this tbh.
Then lurk more
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:04 pm

That’s only because of how bad Super is that GT started getting looked in a more favorable light. He’s right that this movie will be looked at similar to evolution when (not IF, when) it bombs at theaters. Only difference will be casual audiences forgot evolution. Super Hero will be the killshot that a lot of older fans have been waiting on that will put the franchise back in the grave permanently because no one will forget how awful it was.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:04 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:04 pm

That’s only because of how bad Super is that GT started getting looked in a more favorable light. He’s right that this movie will be looked at similar to evolution when (not IF, when) it bombs at theaters. Only difference will be casual audiences forgot evolution. Super Hero will be the killshot that a lot of older fans have been waiting on that will put the franchise back in the grave permanently because no one will forget how awful it was.
When did people forget about evolution? I'm i on the wrong planet? When BOG came out some people said it was worst then evolution, So we still talk about evolution till this day. And no, the franchise is not going to die because of this movie, you know it deep down, and everyone knows it, all these "doomsday theories" are getting boring now :yawn:

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:14 pm

The film comes out in less than two months and we've only heard three lines of dialogue so far... we don't even know what Dr Hedo or those other Red Ribbon guys even sound like, this is such an indefensible shit show, like what the actual fuck is going on?? :lol:

I was really hoping that recent event would have a brand new trailer to show off but nope, we couldn't even get that.

God, this movie and it's marketing is just so bizarre and awful, even the poster looks awkward and bland, why's everyone spread so far out? The minimalist blank background reminds me more of a sitcom than a Superhero anime film, the Dragon Ball cast literally look like actors on a set... but why though?

It's all just so spectacularly out of touch, I don't know why anyone would think it's even going to do anywhere near as well as Resurrection F did in terms of box office numbers, all of my anime watching friends are either completely apathetic to this film or are unaware that it exists.

Three months later and my complaints and concerns surrounding this film are still 100% valid,
The Monkey King wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:34 pm I can honestly see this film bombing so hard it outright kills the Dragon Ball Revival era kickstarted by Battle of Gods.

From what I've seen this film has zero hype behind it after that God awful teaser trailer, the first new proper Dragon Ball animated content in over three years and we're getting low stakes, CGI and the return of the Red Ribbon Army... there's NOTHING for casual fans to be excited for.

I honestly have no problem with Dragon Ball having more laidback stories like "Yo Son Goku & Friend's Return" as I quite liked that OVA, but that's the thing... it was just an OVA, having such tepid content for a theatrical release people will have to go out of their way to attend cinemas and pay for is an awful idea and extremely out of touch.
But hey, at least Gohan fans are happy!

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:53 pm

The lightness of the marketing compared to this movie is surprising, but I'm seeing a lot of wishful thinking. A lot of people are convinced it'll bomb spectacularly and make no money and wipe away the stench of all CG anime forever.

Not gonna happen guys. Ever heard the term "critic-proof?" That's what Dragon Ball is. The film will do fine.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:23 am

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:04 pm

When did people forget about evolution? I'm i on the wrong planet? When BOG came out some people said it was worst then evolution, So we still talk about evolution till this day. And no, the franchise is not going to die because of this movie, you know it deep down, and everyone knows it, all these "doomsday theories" are getting boring now :yawn:
I rarely see anyone talk about DBE anymore. The only times it seems to get brought up is when people are discussing another hypothetical adaptation of Dragon Ball. You don’t see people debating the quality of it like they do with GT. Everyone agrees that it’s bad.

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:10 am

WittyUsername wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:23 am
Jiren The Alpha wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:04 pm

I rarely see anyone talk about DBE anymore. The only times it seems to get brought up is when people are discussing another hypothetical adaptation of Dragon Ball. You don’t see people debating the quality of it like they do with GT. Everyone agrees that it’s bad.
I suppose BOG wasn’t what some of its detractors was wanting or expecting. I must admit even I was disappointed with BOG because it didn’t really feel like a movie. The story was meh Mai and Trunks made no sense. Beerus and Whis coming outta nowhere and being the worse things in hindsight for Dragon Ball. Loved SSG but thought that ROF screwed that one up. And the ending of the fight and movie itself was nothing to spectacular.

Dragon Ball Evolution was a movie I never thought I would talk about again. It is humorous that it was considered to be worse than evolution. I remember someone from back than said that Toriyama is trying to compete with who can make the worse dragon ball movie.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:53 am

PurestEvil wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:48 pm
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:36 pm

The reactions to this film so far is in no way shape or form close to the severity of the Last Jedi's reception
Just for loud fans. Last Jedi actually has a pretty good reviews and ratings outside of the vocal fanbase and youtubers with “movie disaster” videos.
The Rise Of Skywalker actually is the bad one.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88