DragonBall Z Abridged

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DB1984
Banned

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by DB1984 » Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:11 pm

TotallyNotMark's videos are very informative. Seems to me he's read Syd Field's 1979 book Screenplay, which I've seen him once reference in one of his videos.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:15 pm

I do appreciate when Mark gets TFS to cameo in his stuff. If there's 1 highlight to his annoyingly rampant TFS hyper fanboyism, it's that.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:21 am

Man, it felt so damn good hearing TFS doing abridged bits for the Buu Saga, even if it's only in bite-sized clips.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:36 am

Hopefully this won't be the end of it either. If Mark is handling GT and Super reviews next, things could get real interesting.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:09 am

FoolsGil wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:36 am Hopefully this won't be the end of it either. If Mark is handling GT and Super reviews next, things could get real interesting.
He's already done extensive reviews of both those series.

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:10 pm

I really hope (based on what's been said so far) that we're essentially getting the Majin Buu arc compiled into a movie (of sorts).

I'll admit, I'd be a bold-faced liar if I said that I wasn't bummed out that the Majin Buu arc almost certainly won't be treated the same way as the Saiyan, Frieza, and Cell arcs (ESPECIALLY not now, given what TFS is teaming up with Mark for), but I guess I'll just take what I can get at this point.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:04 pm

I genuinely hate that it takes Mark commissioning TFS to do short interludes to his review to get Buu Saga Abridged content from them. I do like the Dragon ShortZ, but I'd really love to move on to Buu now, even if it's in the 3D animation they commission for the ShortZ. It'd be good.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:23 pm

I really hope at final episode commentary, we will get "DBZ Abridged is back, b.tches!" It's been few years, and burnout period could end, they can even skip movies, just please, do Buu Saga :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:59 pm

coola wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:23 pm I really hope at final episode commentary, we will get "DBZ Abridged is back, b.tches!" It's been few years, and burnout period could end, they can even skip movies, just please, do Buu Saga :)
I'm fine if they wanna skip the movies. I don't believe Bojack to be unabridgeable (gotta remember that in their commentary for the second Cooler abridged movie, they said Kaiser hates it so much that he didn't even wanna do it, but Lani & Taka insisted that they do & Kaiser let them have more free reign with the writing), but if they sincerely can't work with it, they can just skip it. On top of that, the second 2 Broly movies are bad & boring, so no one would care if those got skipped. Literally the only movies I think that would be worth abridging after Bojack would be Fusion Reborn & Wrath of the Dragon. I mean, they've skipped over the first 2 Z movies & came back to them later (mainly because Lani & Masako had already done them for Neighborhood Cluck), so it's not like that'd be anything new. I personally think if they wanted to, they could do movies covering chunks of the arc kinda like what Kaiser said he wanted to do with OG DB years ago in a stream. I don't think anyone would mind that.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:59 am

coola wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:23 pm I really hope at final episode commentary, we will get "DBZ Abridged is back, b.tches!" It's been few years, and burnout period could end, they can even skip movies, just please, do Buu Saga :)
Considering that trying for that monthly schedule is what lead to the burnout in the first place, I'm not sure if TFS wants to go through that again. I mean I'm also someone who thinks that the commentary vids + HFIL show has to be leading to something, but I'm more pressed to believe that it'll be some "reunion tour" where TFS abridges another movie or two. But I don't think we'll ever see a continuation of the series proper.

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:06 pm

Scsigs wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:59 pm
I'm fine if they wanna skip the movies. I don't believe Bojack to be unabridgeable (gotta remember that in their commentary for the second Cooler abridged movie, they said Kaiser hates it so much that he didn't even wanna do it, but Lani & Taka insisted that they do & Kaiser let them have more free reign with the writing), but if they sincerely can't work with it, they can just skip it. On top of that, the second 2 Broly movies are bad & boring, so no one would care if those got skipped. Literally the only movies I think that would be worth abridging after Bojack would be Fusion Reborn & Wrath of the Dragon. I mean, they've skipped over the first 2 Z movies & came back to them later (mainly because Lani & Masako had already done them for Neighborhood Cluck), so it's not like that'd be anything new. I personally think if they wanted to, they could do movies covering chunks of the arc kinda like what Kaiser said he wanted to do with OG DB years ago in a stream. I don't think anyone would mind that.
Oh, TOTALLY.

Don't get me wrong, I actually enjoy the Majin Buu arc-era movies (Yes, even Bio-Broly), but if we have to sacrifice THOSE + Bojack to get them to do the Majin Buu arc proper? Hey, I'm more than willing to make that exchange.

Heck, I wouldn't even want them to rush out new episodes via a monthly schedule (not that I wanted them to rush out episodes before now, anyways).

They could take a decade/decade-and-a-half-, and I'd be willing to wait. Just as long as my favorite 'Z' arc gets the treatment it deserves.

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:51 pm

I'd love to see Bio Broly abridged

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:41 pm

Dragonball Z Abridged Creator Commentary | Episode 51
https://youtu.be/7XA2GE9-MjQ?si=dNfYaPioShGN4oWY

The...perfect entrance for Mr. Perfect Cell.

Yu Yu Hakusho Abridged | Episode 10 Commentary
https://youtu.be/LMTsqrswWSs?si=yVru38aTgf3bAxT3

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:42 pm

I'm curious why Cell got this "crush" for 16? :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:21 am

Bardock God of Time wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:51 pm
I'd love to see Bio Broly abridged
As someone who unironically enjoys Bio-Broly, I'd LOVE to see how TFS tackles that movie.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:31 pm

Hot take, Dragon Ball Z Abridged has done more damage too Dragon Ball then 4kids did too One Piece.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:08 pm

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:31 pm Hot take, Dragon Ball Z Abridged has done more damage to Dragon Ball then 4kids did to One Piece.
4Kids' dub of One Piece damaged the brand for years to general audiences so much that a lot of people couldn't take it seriously. It's only been within the last half a decade or so of the FUNimation dub being out, the manga & the anime getting more popular, & the memory of the 4Kids dub has died down that it's gained a good following so it can be fondly talked about with other popular anime shows & mangas.

DBZA has only a small amount of people that actively has it actively influence their thoughts & opinions to any big degree. However, said opinions can be very annoying. On top of that, Abridged never slowed down the popularity of the main shows or movies, nor has it caused the general public to get the wrong idea about the show because not only had FUNimation done a good job of that themselves with the original Z dub, but Z had been out for years before Abridged came along & Kai was Toei's attempt at doing basically the same thing, but without all the added jokes & it did a lot to bring up the popularity of the franchise, then the films after it & Super were smash hits, so I don't know how you can unironically say that without laughing.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:53 pm

[

Have you ever heard someone say, "I can only watch One Piece if it's the 4kids version", or "4kids One Piece is better then the original". 4kids had no lasting impact on how the show is now unlike DBZA that is still too this day being compard too the original show like it was a legitimate alternative dub.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:18 pm

DBZA definitely isn't as bad as 4Kids's One Piece, because it wasn't essentially a write-off simply because of contractual obligations.

4Kids damaged the One Piece brand outside of Japan, DBZA simply stoked interest in the brand during the internet era.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:13 pm

I actually think DBZA was fantastic for Dragon Ball and fed into its continued popularity quite a lot. Yeah, some people have bad opinions because they took it too seriously, but that's not damage. A lot of people came back into the franchise - or into it in the first place - because of TFS. DBZA definitely grew my love of the world and characters of Dragon Ball with it's refreshing alternative take, even if I was a big fan before that.

I'd love, love, love for them to announce Season 4 at the end of the commentary, but I don't think they will. I don't think they want to, and they should only do it if their hearts are in it. I think they'd be more likely to remake season 1, but that's not likely either. They're focusing on original content now.