One Piece Remake, fans are so lucky...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: One Piece Remake, fans are so lucky...

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:12 pm

Lance Freeman wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:09 pm
kemuri07 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:23 pm Here's the thing: The announcement calls this adaptation "fresh but familiar" from the anime adaptation. Ideally Netflix is doing this because a bunch of people are now interested in the anime thanks to the live-action show. If the barrier of entry for newbies is the length of the anime and the manga, does doing a "DB Kai/Brotherhood" style remake fix the issue? Probably not.

My thinking? This is a remake that will be different from both the Toei anime and the original manga. If the goal is to be accessible to people who watched the Netflix series, I absolutely see "The One Piece" heavily condensing the events of the East Blue Saga to make it much easier for people to get into.
You say "fresh but familiar" and now alarm bells are going off in my head that this is going to be like Netflix's Scott Pilgrim show, where the whole thing is just going to be completely different after the first episode.
That would be amazing, actually. From what I've seen of the Scott Pilgrim cartoon it's a major improvement over the film.

Someone actually seeking to improve on the source material for a new Dragon Ball animated series would be lovely.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:08 am

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:12 pm
kemuri07 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:23 pm Here's the thing: The announcement calls this adaptation "fresh but familiar" from the anime adaptation. Ideally Netflix is doing this because a bunch of people are now interested in the anime thanks to the live-action show. If the barrier of entry for newbies is the length of the anime and the manga, does doing a "DB Kai/Brotherhood" style remake fix the issue? Probably not.

My thinking? This is a remake that will be different from both the Toei anime and the original manga. If the goal is to be accessible to people who watched the Netflix series, I absolutely see "The One Piece" heavily condensing the events of the East Blue Saga to make it much easier for people to get into.
You say "fresh but familiar" and now alarm bells are going off in my head that this is going to be like Netflix's Scott Pilgrim show, where the whole thing is just going to be completely different after the first episode.
That would be amazing, actually. From what I've seen of the Scott Pilgrim cartoon it's a major improvement over the film.

Someone actually seeking to improve on the source material for a new Dragon Ball animated series would be lovely.
Seeking to improve could lead to the opposite.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:27 am

sangofe wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:08 am

Everything can lead to something bad.

I could get out of bed after writing this post and find that my floor has transformed into jello. Hell, I could check the document that I keep my book in and learn that I wrote another 69,420 words in my sleep last night.

"It might be bad!"

No shit, but it's worth the risk of something better.
She/Her
bisexual milf

n1pun

Post by n1pun » Mon Dec 25, 2023 5:41 pm

The Wit Studio slander here is surprising. I've never heard of any examples where Wit Studio has overworked its employees or that the working conditions there is bad. I guess since MAPPA took over AoT the fans got brainrot and started confusing MAPPA with Wit Studio. I even read a few comments that said that MAPPA were the original creators of the AoT IP or something which was wild to read. But anyway, MAPPA is the studio that overworks its employees to the bone not Wit Studio. If you look at the shows Wit Studio has put out over the years, all bangers and top quality. The whole reason why Wit Studio even dropped AoT in the first place was because they REFUSED to overwork their employees to the bone and release AoT season 4 within 8-12 months which they were offered whereas MAPPA ACCEPTED those conditions. That should tell you all you need to know how Wit Studio thinks of its employees and how MAPPA thinks of its employees. Some users might have an agenda against Wit Studio here but slandering them for "overworking their employees" is NOT a point you can slander them for as it's not true.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Mon Dec 25, 2023 6:45 pm

n1pun wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 5:41 pm The Wit Studio slander here is surprising. I've never heard of any examples where Wit Studio has overworked its employees or that the working conditions there is bad. I guess since MAPPA took over AoT the fans got brainrot and started confusing MAPPA with Wit Studio. I even read a few comments that said that MAPPA were the original creators of the AoT IP or something which was wild to read. But anyway, MAPPA is the studio that overworks its employees to the bone not Wit Studio. If you look at the shows Wit Studio has put out over the years, all bangers and top quality. The whole reason why Wit Studio even dropped AoT in the first place was because they REFUSED to overwork their employees to the bone and release AoT season 4 within 8-12 months which they were offered whereas MAPPA ACCEPTED those conditions. That should tell you all you need to know how Wit Studio thinks of its employees and how MAPPA thinks of its employees. Some users might have an agenda against Wit Studio here but slandering them for "overworking their employees" is NOT a point you can slander them for as it's not true.
There were very public reports from behind the scenes at the time Season 3 was airing that the production was, in fact, in total crisis mode. Mappa somehow managed to make that disaster look comfortable by comparison, but the behind-the-scenes situation in Season 3 was awful.

n1pun

Post by n1pun » Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:09 pm

Vegard Aune wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 6:45 pm
n1pun wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 5:41 pm The Wit Studio slander here is surprising. I've never heard of any examples where Wit Studio has overworked its employees or that the working conditions there is bad. I guess since MAPPA took over AoT the fans got brainrot and started confusing MAPPA with Wit Studio. I even read a few comments that said that MAPPA were the original creators of the AoT IP or something which was wild to read. But anyway, MAPPA is the studio that overworks its employees to the bone not Wit Studio. If you look at the shows Wit Studio has put out over the years, all bangers and top quality. The whole reason why Wit Studio even dropped AoT in the first place was because they REFUSED to overwork their employees to the bone and release AoT season 4 within 8-12 months which they were offered whereas MAPPA ACCEPTED those conditions. That should tell you all you need to know how Wit Studio thinks of its employees and how MAPPA thinks of its employees. Some users might have an agenda against Wit Studio here but slandering them for "overworking their employees" is NOT a point you can slander them for as it's not true.
There were very public reports from behind the scenes at the time Season 3 was airing that the production was, in fact, in total crisis mode. Mappa somehow managed to make that disaster look comfortable by comparison, but the behind-the-scenes situation in Season 3 was awful.
"Mappa somehow managed to make that disaster look comfortable by comparison" lol wut. MAPPA did an awful job of adapting AoT. They even got more time than Wit Studio and every episode from MAPPA was ugly disaster CGI junkfest. Wit Studio's Season 3 quality is all-time high. The only reason people noticed the Colossal CGI in Season 3 Part 2 was due to the color design change for that part of the arc which didn't mesh well with the CGI. I think Rina Ito handled that bunch of episodes. Season 2's CGI was the same quality but people never noticed it or complained about it THAT much because Ken Hashimoto's color design hid it pretty well. Wit Studio did an absolutely amazing job with AoT in the amount of time they were given. Each episode world class. MAPPA on the other hand shit the bed. They can be excused for Season 4 Part 1 but after that they got plenty of time to animate but they shit the bed constantly. Complaints from animators, fans getting angry, content getting ruined. I guess the reason why AoT author rushed the manga could be because of MAPPA's mediocre adaptation. He must've been like, "Ah screw this. I don't wanna see my manga getting ruined like this." That's why I think he decided to rush the manga and end it in the next 5 chapters. The ending did feel rushed. But anyway, Wit Studio "overworking" their employees is nothing in comparison to how MAPPA treated and treats their employees. I don't think GOAT directors like Tetsuro Araki and Masashi Koizuka get enough credit for how well they managed AoT adaptation at Wit Studio. Slandering Wit Studio for "overworking their employees" only shows me you just have an agenda towards Wit Studio. MAPPA deserves all the slander for their crap adaptation of so many popular shounen. JJK season 2 should be enough evidence. MAPPA literally got carried by Sunghoo Park. Since he left they've shat the bed and soon in a few years will go back to being nobodies like they were before they took AoT.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:22 pm

All anime studios are terrible with their working conditions, WIT and MAPPA simply have a number of high-profile instaces of their working conditions being reported on.

Like, George Wada winning an award for his work running WIT? That's a fucking joke if I've ever heard one. Not a single studio executive deserves shit, save maybe someone from Kyouto Animation for their sane schedules and proper workflow and training.
She/Her
bisexual milf

n1pun

Post by n1pun » Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:26 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:22 pm All anime studios are terrible with their working conditions, WIT and MAPPA simply have a number of high-profile instaces of their working conditions being reported on.

Like, George Wada winning an award for his work running WIT? That's a fucking joke if I've ever heard one. Not a single studio executive deserves shit, save maybe someone from Kyouto Animation for their sane schedules and proper workflow and training.
Comparing Wit's working conditions to MAPPA's is ridiculous. MAPPA is a crap studio, overworking their employees that got so bad in JJK season 2. I never see that with Wit Studio. The only greedy and crappy studio that deserves that tag is MAPPA. This is the only place where I read Wit Studio slander about them "overworking" their employees. I mean, now I've read it all. Let's be honest here, you all are slandering Wit because they are doing One Piece not Dragon Ball. There's no way you talk like this if Wit picked up Dragon Ball. Let's not play dumb here. But you CAN NOT slander Wit for "overworking". That tag does NOT apply to Wit what the fuck.

n1pun

Post by n1pun » Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:34 pm

AoT Season 3 Part 2 is the ONLY instance where Wit were forced and I say FORCED to "overwork" their employees because they were given an insane deadline to finish. After that they straight up REFUSED to ever let their employees go through that again. That's the difference between MAPPA and Wit. Wit never overworks their employees on purpose like MAPPA. MAPPA literally takes projects that they know will cause bad working conditions but they take them anyway 'cause they know their fans will eat it up. This strat worked for AoT, and for a bit for CSM but after Hell's Paradise and now JJK season 2 they know fans don't like this. Wit never took any anime that they knew would overwork their employees so this slander of "bad working conditions/overwork" does NOT apply to Wit.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:37 pm

n1pun wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:26 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:22 pm All anime studios are terrible with their working conditions, WIT and MAPPA simply have a number of high-profile instaces of their working conditions being reported on.

Comparing Wit's working conditions to MAPPA's is ridiculous. MAPPA is a crap studio, overworking their employees that got so bad in JJK season 2. I never see that with Wit Studio. The only greedy and crappy studio that deserves that tag is MAPPA. This is the only place where I read Wit Studio slander about them "overworking" their employees. I mean, now I've read it all. Let's be honest here, you all are slandering Wit because they are doing One Piece not Dragon Ball. There's no way you talk like this if Wit picked up Dragon Ball. Let's not play dumb here. But you CAN NOT slander Wit for "overworking". That tag does NOT apply to Wit what the fuck.
Oh dear, honey, I actually don't like One Piece. I don't care about studios so long as production staff are working little, given enough time to create good work and going home and having lives outside of sleeping and working.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:49 pm

n1pun wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:09 pm "Mappa somehow managed to make that disaster look comfortable by comparison" lol wut. MAPPA did an awful job of adapting AoT. They even got more time than Wit Studio and every episode from MAPPA was ugly disaster CGI junkfest. Wit Studio's Season 3 quality is all-time high. The only reason people noticed the Colossal CGI in Season 3 Part 2 was due to the color design change for that part of the arc which didn't mesh well with the CGI. I think Rina Ito handled that bunch of episodes. Season 2's CGI was the same quality but people never noticed it or complained about it THAT much because Ken Hashimoto's color design hid it pretty well. Wit Studio did an absolutely amazing job with AoT in the amount of time they were given. Each episode world class. MAPPA on the other hand shit the bed. They can be excused for Season 4 Part 1 but after that they got plenty of time to animate but they shit the bed constantly. Complaints from animators, fans getting angry, content getting ruined. I guess the reason why AoT author rushed the manga could be because of MAPPA's mediocre adaptation. He must've been like, "Ah screw this. I don't wanna see my manga getting ruined like this." That's why I think he decided to rush the manga and end it in the next 5 chapters. The ending did feel rushed. But anyway, Wit Studio "overworking" their employees is nothing in comparison to how MAPPA treated and treats their employees. I don't think GOAT directors like Tetsuro Araki and Masashi Koizuka get enough credit for how well they managed AoT adaptation at Wit Studio. Slandering Wit Studio for "overworking their employees" only shows me you just have an agenda towards Wit Studio. MAPPA deserves all the slander for their crap adaptation of so many popular shounen. JJK season 2 should be enough evidence. MAPPA literally got carried by Sunghoo Park. Since he left they've shat the bed and soon in a few years will go back to being nobodies like they were before they took AoT.
Excuse me what does any of that have to do with anything I said? When I said Mappa managed to make that "disaster" look comfortable I was talking 100% about the chaos and overworking happening behind the scenes. What about what I said made you at all think I was talking about the quality of the show?
Also, took me a hot minute to find this but... Wit Studio director Naganuma remarking on the production of AoT: "It's a battlefield. Basically what you see on screen in Attack on Titan is what I see at Studio Wit. One comrade falls after another." Given the timing, this would probably have been in reference to season 2, so I guess I was wrong about that comment being in relation to Season 3. But, uh... Season 2 was allegedly when the production was at its most stable. And here you have a literal director from another Wit series going "Yeah I saw how things were going on Attack on Titan and it's comparable to the carnage in the show itself." This is on top of how way back in Season 1, the troubled production was plainly visible on screen between the ludicrous amounts of animators and animation directors being brought in every week and how many episodes were blatantly unfinished. Seriously, look up comparisons between the initial TV broadcast and the BDs. It is actually nuts how compromised the TV version was at times.

n1pun

Post by n1pun » Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:07 am

Vegard Aune wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:49 pm
n1pun wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:09 pm "Mappa somehow managed to make that disaster look comfortable by comparison" lol wut. MAPPA did an awful job of adapting AoT. They even got more time than Wit Studio and every episode from MAPPA was ugly disaster CGI junkfest. Wit Studio's Season 3 quality is all-time high. The only reason people noticed the Colossal CGI in Season 3 Part 2 was due to the color design change for that part of the arc which didn't mesh well with the CGI. I think Rina Ito handled that bunch of episodes. Season 2's CGI was the same quality but people never noticed it or complained about it THAT much because Ken Hashimoto's color design hid it pretty well. Wit Studio did an absolutely amazing job with AoT in the amount of time they were given. Each episode world class. MAPPA on the other hand shit the bed. They can be excused for Season 4 Part 1 but after that they got plenty of time to animate but they shit the bed constantly. Complaints from animators, fans getting angry, content getting ruined. I guess the reason why AoT author rushed the manga could be because of MAPPA's mediocre adaptation. He must've been like, "Ah screw this. I don't wanna see my manga getting ruined like this." That's why I think he decided to rush the manga and end it in the next 5 chapters. The ending did feel rushed. But anyway, Wit Studio "overworking" their employees is nothing in comparison to how MAPPA treated and treats their employees. I don't think GOAT directors like Tetsuro Araki and Masashi Koizuka get enough credit for how well they managed AoT adaptation at Wit Studio. Slandering Wit Studio for "overworking their employees" only shows me you just have an agenda towards Wit Studio. MAPPA deserves all the slander for their crap adaptation of so many popular shounen. JJK season 2 should be enough evidence. MAPPA literally got carried by Sunghoo Park. Since he left they've shat the bed and soon in a few years will go back to being nobodies like they were before they took AoT.
Excuse me what does any of that have to do with anything I said? When I said Mappa managed to make that "disaster" look comfortable I was talking 100% about the chaos and overworking happening behind the scenes. What about what I said made you at all think I was talking about the quality of the show?
Also, took me a hot minute to find this but... Wit Studio director Naganuma remarking on the production of AoT: "It's a battlefield. Basically what you see on screen in Attack on Titan is what I see at Studio Wit. One comrade falls after another." Given the timing, this would probably have been in reference to season 2, so I guess I was wrong about that comment being in relation to Season 3. But, uh... Season 2 was allegedly when the production was at its most stable. And here you have a literal director from another Wit series going "Yeah I saw how things were going on Attack on Titan and it's comparable to the carnage in the show itself." This is on top of how way back in Season 1, the troubled production was plainly visible on screen between the ludicrous amounts of animators and animation directors being brought in every week and how many episodes were blatantly unfinished. Seriously, look up comparisons between the initial TV broadcast and the BDs. It is actually nuts how compromised the TV version was at times.
Man, shut up and stop spreading bs. No episode of Wit Studio ever looked "unfinished" and no Wit Studio employee came out on Twitter complaining about how disastrous the working conditions is and how they want to unlive themselves. All this happened with MAPPA. MAPPA even forced their animators to sign NDA so they wouldn't speak out to the public because of the horrible working conditions. A senior animator had to comment on it to give the other animators confidence to speak out. One One Piece animator even vouched to never work for MAPPA again. All this carnage looks "comfortable" to you? This is as chaotic as you get and it was the first time I've seen a studio mistreat their employees this bad. I NEVER saw this with Wit Studio or any Studio. The thing you just linked is just production rush thinking. Wit Studio still put out 10/10 episodes that were far from what I would call "unfinished". What is this bs narravtive you're trying to spin. MAPPA is the one grinding their employees to the bone and shamelessly putting out unfinished episodes that their animators themselves said was unfinished (JJK S217). Just say you love MAPPA and have an agenda against Wit Studio instead of blaming Wit Studio for something they don't do and doing this fake narrative.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:10 am

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:27 am

I could get out of bed after writing this post and find that my floor has transformed into jello. Hell, I could check the document that I keep my book in and learn that I wrote another 69,420 words in my sleep last night.

"It might be bad!"

Give some examples on how you'd improve the source material story then. You're talking about the manga story, right? Honestly I don't want someone "improving" it. An alternate version, why not? But to "improve" it? No thanks.

n1pun

Post by n1pun » Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:20 am

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:37 pm
n1pun wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:26 pm

Oh dear, honey, I actually don't like One Piece. I don't care about studios so long as production staff are working little, given enough time to create good work and going home and having lives outside of sleeping and working.
Don't spread hit piece bs narrative about Wit Studio and that they "overwork" their employees. That tag does NOT apply to Wit Studio. It applies to MAPPA. Like I said, since MAPPA took over AoT a lot of people confused MAPPA with Wit Studio so whatever carnage they heard from Season 4 that was coming from MAPPA, some people must've been like "Oh, look this Wit/MAPPA is overworking their employees!". I think that's happened to you. Wit NEVER overworks their employees to the point they have to ask their animators that they need to sign an NDA so they don't talk about the bad production issues. MAPPA does that get that cleared in your head. You can say you don't like art style of Wit Studio or that you don't like that Wit Studio only does Netflix shows these days. Those are valid complaints but you can NEVER say Wit Studio "overworks" their emplyees and has "bad working conditions" as it's simply not true at all.

n1pun

Post by n1pun » Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:49 am

n1pun wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:07 am
Vegard Aune wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:49 pm
Man, shut up and stop spreading bs. No episode of Wit Studio ever looked "unfinished" and no Wit Studio employee came out on Twitter complaining about how disastrous the working conditions is and how they want to unlive themselves. All this happened with MAPPA. MAPPA even forced their animators to sign NDA so they wouldn't speak out to the public because of the horrible working conditions. A senior animator had to comment on it to give the other animators confidence to speak out. One One Piece animator even vouched to never work for MAPPA again. All this carnage looks "comfortable" to you? This is as chaotic as you get and it was the first time I've seen a studio mistreat their employees this bad. I NEVER saw this with Wit Studio or any Studio. The thing you just linked is just production rush thinking. Wit Studio still put out 10/10 episodes that were far from what I would call "unfinished". What is this bs narravtive you're trying to spin. MAPPA is the one grinding their employees to the bone and shamelessly putting out unfinished episodes that their animators themselves said was unfinished (JJK S217). Just say you love MAPPA and have an agenda against Wit Studio instead of blaming Wit Studio for something they don't do and doing this fake narrative.
Now you're gonna say that I am comparing MAPPA JJK season 2 to Wit Studio AoT. Yeah, I am doing that as the general consensus here seems like the overall working conditions at Wit Studio is the same as MAPPA or is as bad as MAPPA. That's not true at all. Of course after Season 4 Part 1 MAPPA didn't have much complaints about production you wanna know why? Because they literally got one year off for Part 2 and ANOTHER one year of for Part 3 that contained 7 episodes. Wit Studio were being grinded to release over 30 world-class episodes and they still delivered 10/10 episodes that's how Gigachad Wit Studio is. MAPPA, even though they had enough time, put out mediocre garbage AND used CGI on top of that to make things worse. When MAPPA gets the same conditions as what Wit went through for AoT Season 3 Part 2 they perform even worse and put out literal unfinished episodes. This is why I'm comparing JJK season 2. I never saw any type of carnage coming from Wit Studio animators like how I see for MAPPA. MAPPA is the one overworking their employees, KNOWINGLY choosing shows that they'll know will cause bad working environment but still accepting it as they're too greedy and they know their fans will eat every crap they put out and even praise them for it lol. That's exactly what happened so are you really gonna blame MAPPA? I think it's their fans (like you) who just accepts what crap MAPPA puts out and forgives their bad working conditions. I have no problem with such fans but I do have a problem when you people attack innocent studios that don't do this kind of thing to their employees like Wit Studio and you spread fake narrative about them just to defend MAPPA.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:57 am

sangofe wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:10 am

"It might be bad!"

Give some examples on how you'd improve the source material story then. You're talking about the manga story, right? Honestly I don't want someone "improving" it. An alternate version, why not? But to "improve" it? No thanks.
I could go on forever with different ways of improving the story, but I'm writing this post before needing to run errands, so I'll mention the quick fixes: removing the blatant sexism, racist caricatures, and the homophobic caricatures.

From there discussions would need to be hld on how exactly a production team would like to handle the personal character arcs of characters and how to get to where those characters are in the final chapter pf the 1984-1995 comic series (or whether or not they want to perhaps tweak those characters' endings to have more meaning). Creating a re-telling that uses the full retrospective insight or knowing where everyone is by Chapter #519 is very helpful.
She/Her
bisexual milf

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:02 pm

How did we get to telling people to "shut up"?

This is such an easy, friendly, hopeful kind of conversation. There's absolutely no reason anyone needs to be heading down such an antagonistic route. If you see something wrong, correct it! If you disagree, tell them why you disagree! There are so many better, more-effective, and less-embarrassing-to-read ways to have this conversation, so let's all aim to do just that!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:31 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:57 am

"It might be bad!"

I could go on forever with different ways of improving the story, but I'm writing this post before needing to run errands, so I'll mention the quick fixes: removing the blatant sexism, racist caricatures, and the homophobic caricatures.
Oh, I see where you're coming from. I personally never took the sexism, racist caricatures and homophonic seriously but I can see why others would. But if you remove all that there's only the poop jokes left. I don't think Dragon Ball ever was supposed to be taken seriously with these things.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:23 pm

n1pun wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:07 amJust say you love MAPPA and have an agenda against Wit Studio instead of blaming Wit Studio for something they don't do and doing this fake narrative.
I literally gave you a direct quote from a director at Studio Wit outright bragging about how hard working there was for the animators. Now to be fair, reading that comment again I realize it wasn't about Attack on Titan, merely comparing the working conditions to the violence we see on screen in Attack on Titan, but considering how the entire point here from the get-go was that Wit treats its employees poorly, it literally does not matter one bit if the project said Studio Wit director was talking about was Attack on Titan, or Magus Bride, or any other show they've worked on. And you claim that I "love MAPPA and have an agenda against Wit Studio"? Find me one instance in this thread where I spoke positively of MAPPA. Actually, find me one instance where Julie spoke positively of MAPPA for that matter. The only time she or I brought up MAPPA was to single them out as being worse than Wit Studio. ergo, "Wit bad. MAPPA worse." That's it. That is all either of us ever said. And that is my last word on this matter. This was never a thread about Attack on Titan or MAPPA.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:52 pm

sangofe wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:31 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:57 am

Oh, I see where you're coming from. I personally never took the sexism, racist caricatures and homophonic seriously but I can see why others would. But if you remove all that there's only the poop jokes left. I don't think Dragon Ball ever was supposed to be taken seriously with these things.
This sort of material still has negative influences, and is still frankly embarassing and offensive when you consider the number of women or queer people who read or view the series. One can say 'don't take it too seriously' after the fact, but the fact that the text of these comics, animated series and films don't explictly condemn the sexist writing and treatment or women, or homophobic and racist caricatures, is still an issue. Historically-speaking, the depiction of groups of people in media absolutely influences how audiences see those groups of people.
She/Her
bisexual milf