ME TOONS CONFIRMED! (SPEED RACER IN THE LINE UP)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: ME TOONS CONFIRMED! (SPEED RACER IN THE LINE UP)

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri May 03, 2024 7:14 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 5:57 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:01 pmThe former only aired for like a week at 330 pm when the target audience was in school and only in certain locations
Actually come to think of it are US schools open the week of January 1st-5th? That was the week WGPR and WGBS aired original Dragon Ball.
Typically we get New Year's Day off but go back to school on the 2nd (unless the first happened to land on a Friday of course)

The Harmony Gold dub also aired only in select markets so even ignoring its timeslot it didn't exactly get nation wide exposure the same way DBZ did or even Funimation's first attempt at Dragon Ball in 1995. As a hunch (no definitive proof of course so I'm not stating that as fact) I'm gonna guess Harmony Gold licensed Dragon Ball knowing nothing about the series other than it was a hit in Japan they dubbed 5 episodes before cancelling the project when they realized there was no way they could air the series on early 90s US kids tv with the tools they had at their disposal (script rewrite and cuts no digital paint) and just sold off what they had to some broadcaster as time filler to recuperate some of their loss.

The whole "they dubbed 5 episodes and aired it in some markets as a test run and canceled it when it performed poorly" never make any sense because how the hell do you determine a series would succeed when you only air 5 episodes in a single week at 330 PM (where your ideal target audience is in school aside from when the first episode aired on January 1st) and only on a few stations in Michigan and Philadelphia?

Things like Bikini Armor Chi Chi and Playboy Bunny Bulma and Oolong wishing for panties (that he wears on his head for too much of episode 12 and 13 to cut around) was probably too risque for Harmony Gold given all the stuff they were cutting and writing around in just the first 5 episodes (stuff Funimation in 1995 had no issue keeping)

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat May 04, 2024 1:37 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 6:00 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:01 pmThe former only aired for like a week at 330 pm when the target audience was in school and only in certain locations
Actually come to think of it are US schools open the week of January 1st-5th? That was the week WGPR and WGBS aired original Dragon Ball.

Otherwise I take your point about both broadcasts being quite niche.
sangofe wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 4:14 am Can someone please say in what country and dub they broadcast?
I believe in the US on syndicated networks. Probably will be broadcasting in English.
It's not syndicated, the entire network is dedicated to broadcasting the entirety of the lineup. It's broadcast television but different from broadcast syndication.
And is it in the US?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat May 04, 2024 10:04 am

sangofe wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 1:37 am

Otherwise I take your point about both broadcasts being quite niche.

I believe in the US on syndicated networks. Probably will be broadcasting in English.
It's not syndicated, the entire network is dedicated to broadcasting the entirety of the lineup. It's broadcast television but different from broadcast syndication.
And is it in the US?
Yes it's in the U.S it.mostly airs classics like Love Boat and The Brady Bunch.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat May 04, 2024 12:40 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:04 am

And is it in the US?
Me TV does, but this new channel is ALL ANIMATION. So no live action stuff.

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/classic/met ... 41017.html
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat May 04, 2024 12:48 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 12:40 pm
And is it in the US?

Ah, so it's basically Boomerang before Boomerang just started playing cartoons from two years ago

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat May 04, 2024 1:08 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 12:48 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 12:40 pm

Ah, so it's basically Boomerang before Boomerang just started playing cartoons from two years ago
Yes. It turns out the block on Me TV did SO WELL they expanded to a whole channel.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sun May 05, 2024 6:06 am

I got nothing to add to this other than the name "Me Toons" sounds like a horrifying(ly cringe) series of PSA cartoons attempting to teach little kids about the dangers of sexual assault.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun May 05, 2024 12:29 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 6:06 am I got nothing to add to this other than the name "Me Toons" sounds like a horrifying(ly cringe) series of PSA cartoons attempting to teach little kids about the dangers of sexual assault.
Haha, that's a funny and true observation.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun May 05, 2024 12:38 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 6:06 am I got nothing to add to this other than the name "Me Toons" sounds like a horrifying(ly cringe) series of PSA cartoons attempting to teach little kids about the dangers of sexual assault.
I love this post, not only because its hilarious, but rather I was bracing myself for "Oh great, now Baby Boomers, Gen X'ers AND Millenials can join in on the arrested development and REFUSING TO GROW THE FUCK UP."

Vegetto95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vegetto95 » Mon May 06, 2024 5:07 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 12:38 pm
I love this post, not only because its hilarious, but rather I was bracing myself for "Oh great, now Baby Boomers, Gen X'ers AND Millenials can join in on the arrested development and REFUSING TO GROW THE FUCK UP."
I mean, to be fair... tell me this whole station isn't just gonna be "Childhood Nostalgia: The TV Channel", but in this case for several generations at once lmao

It's basically just gonna be Boomerang, with the only real difference being that it'll feature a small handful of shows that "90s babies" will point at and go "OOOOOH!!! THAT SHOW WAS DA SHIT WHEN I WAS SIX AND A HALF!!"

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon May 06, 2024 6:05 pm

Vegetto95 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 5:07 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 12:38 pm
I mean, to be fair... tell me this whole station isn't just gonna be "Childhood Nostalgia: The TV Channel", but in this case for several generations at once lmao

It's basically just gonna be Boomerang, with the only real difference being that it'll feature a small handful of shows that "90s babies" will point at and go "OOOOOH!!! THAT SHOW WAS DA SHIT WHEN I WAS SIX AND A HALF!!"
I know, and that's PRECISELY why I am so astounded that Kunzait didnt take the opportunity to rip this channel a new one. He hates the whole "CHILHOOD PWNS" take the internet has and how they only focus on vapid kids shows. But I guess, much like me but on the opposite side, there wasnt really any new ground to cover and just called it a day.

Also I ironically realized that there is NO WAY DB can air on Me TV Toons, Mr Popo is a racist caricature and would never be allowed uncut and the audence would HATE THE CENSORSHIP so there is no way it could air.

Vegetto95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vegetto95 » Mon May 06, 2024 7:12 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 6:05 pm
I know, and that's PRECISELY why I am so astounded that Kunzait didnt take the opportunity to rip this channel a new one. He hates the whole "CHILHOOD PWNS" take the internet has and how they only focus on vapid kids shows. But I guess, much like me but on the opposite side, there wasnt really any new ground to cover and just called it a day.

Also I ironically realized that there is NO WAY DB can air on Me TV Toons, Mr Popo is a racist caricature and would never be allowed uncut and the audence would HATE THE CENSORSHIP so there is no way it could air.
I'm honestly not astounded at all. Not to speak for him, but I get the feeling that this is the kinda thing he wouldn't and probably doesn't give two measly shits about (as evidenced by "I have nothing to add but this hilarious pun"). In my experience, he tends to weigh in on the continued decay of "geek and nerd culture" (my words, not his lol) increasingly consisting mainly of grownass people in their 20s and 30s who are disturbingly obsessed with "nostalgic" children's properties mainly from the '80s and '90s, often to the exclusion of anything else ACTUALLY geared towards fully grown, fully functioning adults, only when something is said that legitimately merits bringing it up. Whether it's "anime wasn't at all popular in the US until the advent of DBZ and Sailor Moon and Pokémon and Digimon and Gundam Wing on Toonami and Kids WB and Fox Kids circa 1998!!" or the various many times people have sincerely claimed something along the lines of "Batman: The Animated Series and Gargoyles and Naruto and Digimon Tamers were all SUUUUPER dark and mature and EASILY stand alongside ANYTHING made for adults!!" And yeah, in those cases, it makes perfect sense for him to chime in with some actual fucking common sense lol

Whereas here... it's just a few people talking about some new upcoming TV channel cashing in on several generations worth of nostalgia for the cartoons of the "good ol' days", and (mainly you, let's be real here lol) bringing up the VERY, VERY REMOTE possibility that it could maybe possibly potentially perhaps air Dragon Ball and Z , etc. in order. So it's more of a "Nothing to see here, moving along" kinda situation than anything I mentioned above.

But even then, on the off chance this new channel ever DID air any Dragon Ball content... judging by the types of shows announced on its lineup, it's HIIIIGHLY unlikely that it would air anything other than the godawful FUNimation dubs, soooo... yeah, I would argue that that's NOT ideal or desirable in any way, to any degree whatsoever because I HEEEEAAAVILY advocate AGAINST introducing newbie DB fans to anything other than the original Japanese version due to how much FUNimation butchered the ever-loving shit out of Dragon Ball/Z/GT and turned it into a complete cringefest that comes off like an extremely juvenile parody of Super Friends, He-Man, and the WWF (which were all ALREADY extremely juvenile cringefests on their own lmao)

As for the bit about Popo... I hope you're just making a joke. Because if not... hellOOOO? The list of 'toons that are set to feature on this channel as you wrote earlier includes such enduringly popular series that are nearly a full century old by now as Popeye the Sailor Man and Looney Tunes... and those are shows that have MORE than their fair share of racist caricatures due to their age and what was, unfortunately, considered "socially acceptable" back then. There's certain stuff in certain Looney Tunes and Popeye shorts and serials that make the designs of Mr. Popo, Staff Officer Black, and Killa look positively tame by comparison. Sure, MAYBE (and probably) they won't air the episodes of those shows that had those things, but still... it's all relative.

And let's not even get into the fact that the ONLY thing that is REMOTELY potentially racist about Dragon Ball characters like Mr. Popo, Staff Officer Black, and Killa are their physical designs, and even then ONLY in regards to their exaggerated pink lips. There's shit in Popeye, Looney Tunes, and several others of those you listed that go FAR beyond just the way the black characters look (though that ALSO tended to be MUCH worse than anything Toriyama ever drew), and instead into actually depicting VERY negative stereotypes about black people. OBVIOUSLY I'm NOT saying this in ANY WAY WHATSOEVER to defend those near-100 year old cartoons' usage of horrible, harmful, racist stereotypes... I'm just saying that if you're gonna allow Popeye and Looney Tunes on this channel because they did that once every few hundred episodes or so... then there's NO reason to disallow Dragon Ball. Just, please... let's NOT go down the alt-right "anti-woke" rabbit hole here and cry wolf about "identity politics" when there is no there there... the bottom of that hole is NOT a pleasant place to be.
Last edited by Vegetto95 on Mon May 06, 2024 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon May 06, 2024 7:18 pm

Vegetto95 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 7:12 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 6:05 pm

I'm honestly not astounded at all. Not to speak for him, but I get the feeling that this is the kinda thing he wouldn't and probably doesn't give two measly shits about (as evidenced by "I have nothing to add but this hilarious pun"). In my experience, he tends to weigh in on the continued decay of "geek and nerd culture" (my words, not his lol) increasingly consisting mainly of grownass people in their 20s and 30s who are disturbingly obsessed with "nostalgic" children's properties mainly from the '80s and '90s, often to the exclusion of anything else ACTUALLY geared towards fully grown, fully functioning adults, only when something is said that legitimately merits bringing it up. Whether it's "anime wasn't at all popular in the US until the advent of DBZ and Sailor Moon and Pokémon and Digimon and Gundam Wing on Toonami and Kids WB and Fox Kids circa 1998!!" or the various many times people have sincerely claimed something along the lines of "Batman: The Animated Series and Gargoyles and Naruto and Digimon Tamers were all SUUUUPER dark and mature and EASILY stand alongside ANYTHING made for adults!!" And yeah, in those cases, it makes perfect sense for him to chime in with some actual fucking common sense lol

Whereas here... it's just a few people talking about some new upcoming TV channel cashing in on several generations worth of nostalgia for the cartoons of the "good ol' days", and (mainly you, let's be real here lol) bringing up the VERY, VERY REMOTE possibility that it could maybe possibly potentially perhaps air Dragon Ball and Z , etc. in order. So it's more of a "Nothing to see here, moving along" kinda situation than anything I mentioned above.

But even then, on the off chance this new channel ever DID air any Dragon Ball content... judging by the types of shows announced on its lineup, it's HIIIIGHLY unlikely that it would air anything other than the godawful FUNimation dubs, soooo... yeah, I would argue that that's NOT ideal or desirable in any way, to any degree whatsoever because I HEEEEAAAVILY advocate AGAINST introducing newbie DB fans to anything other than the original Japanese version due to how much FUNimation butchered the ever-loving shit out of Dragon Ball/Z/GT and turned it into a complete cringefest that comes off like an extremely juvenile parody of Super Friends, He-Man and the WWF (which were all ALREADY extremely juvenile cringefests on their own lmao)

As for the bit about Popo... I hope you're just making a joke. Because if not... hellOOOO? The list of 'toons that are set to feature on this channel as you wrote earlier includes such enduringly popular series that are nearly a full century old by now as Popeye the Sailor Man and Looney Tunes... and those are shows that have MORE than their fair share of racist caricatures due to their age and what was (unfortunately) considered "socially acceptable" back then. There's certain stuff in certain Looney Tunes and Popeye shorts and serials that make the designs of Mr. Popo, Staff Officer Black, and Killa look positively tame by comparison. Sure, MAYBE (and probably) they won't air the episodes of those shows that had those things, but still... it's all relative.

And let's not even get into the fact that the ONLY thing that is REMOTELY potentially racist about Dragon Ball characters like Mr. Popo, Staff Officer Black, and Killa are their physical designs, and even then ONLY in regards to their exaggerated pink lips. There's shit in Popeye, Looney Tunes, and several other of those you listed that go far beyond just the way the black characters look, and instead into actually depicting VERY negative stereotypes about black people. OBVIOUSLY I'm NOT saying this in ANY WAY WHATSOEVER to defend those near-100 year old cartoons' usage of horrible, harmful, racist stereotypes... I'm just saying that if you're gonna allow Popeye and Looney Tunes because they did that once every few hundred episodes... there's NO reason to disallow Dragon Ball. Let's not go down the alt-right "anti-woke" rabbit hole here... that is NOT a pleasant place to be.
Wow, this is such a great post. I love it. And i didnt mean to be anti woke, but more that the only thing that wasnt allowed by Me TV was racist jokes. Those are skipped or edited out (I forgot they DID edit stuff out lol.) Even suicide and gun jokes are okay.

Vegetto95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vegetto95 » Mon May 06, 2024 7:33 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 7:18 pm Wow, this is such a great post. I love it. And i didnt mean to be anti woke, but more that the only thing that wasnt allowed by Me TV was racist jokes. Those are skipped or edited out (I forgot they DID edit stuff out lol.) Even suicide and gun jokes are okay.
Again, I think everything's relative. I am someone who is STAAAAUNCHLY opposed to censorship of any kind in all its forms... buuuuut, at the same time... presentation is KEY. I have NOTHING against, say... Bugs Bunny shooting a guy in the audience simply because he wouldn't stop coughing while Bugs was trying to play piano. That's HILARIOUS. Dark humor, delivered well and mindfully, can be some of the funniest shit ever. And in this case, the extreme exaggeration of the otherwise simple situation was the real kicker that made the gag work.

However, even as a strong opponent of censorship... I KIIINDA totally 100% understand Disney's choice (that they made at least three or four decades ago) to edit out the black centaur with the ugly, diminutive, minstrel show-like appearance that was stumbling over herself trying to wait on and pretty up the more realistically proportioned, "conventionally beautiful", Caucasian-looking centaur girls in 1940's Fantasia (which is otherwise a FANTASTIC film, and we totally need more appreciation of classical music). Or, to bring it a little closer to Looney Tunes with its sister show Merrie Melodies.. why WB has looong since tried to sweep shorts like "Coal Black and the Sebben Dwarfs" under the proverbial rug. Learning from the mistakes of history is important, yes... but at the same time, I'm noooot exactly gonna miss something like that lmao

And in comparison to disgusting things like that that enforce EXTREMELY harmful negative depictions of blacks... yeah, Popo, Black, and Killa's lips, while absolutely stereotypical and not exactly a positive depiction by any means, are barely an issue.
Last edited by Vegetto95 on Mon May 06, 2024 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon May 06, 2024 7:38 pm

I cant believe you are such a new member, you are very wise and well spoken. I am so glad even now Kanzenshuu has such great new members.

EDIT: Also while I was kidding with that whole Popo thing, it would be harder for Popo to be edited out or edited to be acceptable, he's just so ingrained into the plot and entire episodes would require editing. They would pretty much have to go Blue Popo. Sure I think they have much better editors at hand to make it look NOT AWFUL AS SHIT.

Vegetto95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vegetto95 » Mon May 06, 2024 8:01 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 7:38 pm I cant believe you are such a new member, you are very wise and well spoken. I am so glad even now Kanzenshuu has such great new members.

EDIT: Also while I was kidding with that whole Popo thing, it would be harder for Popo to be edited out or edited to be acceptable, he's just so ingrained into the plot and entire episodes would require editing. They would pretty much have to go Blue Popo. Sure I think they have much better editors at hand to make it look NOT AWFUL AS SHIT.
Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it! :D
To be fair, though... I have been a regular visitor to Kanzenshuu since looong before it even WAS Kanzenshuu lol. I first discovered this place probably somewhere in the early-mid 2000s when it was still DaizenshuuEX (I'm just shy of 32 currently, so I would have been more or less a preteen at the time), and I spent a lot of time reading the forums in the years since... just never really bothered to register and join in on discussions until last year lol

I mean, I personally don't really think Mr. Popo's appearance is anywhere near egregious enough to require any kind of editing and censorship; hell, Killa and Black are OBVIOUSLY visually more reminiscent of real black people, but they were NEVER censored (unless you want to count Black's lipless redesign in the tenth anniversary film, even though half the RRA got redesigns in that lol) and yet Popo for some reason was ALWAYS the ONLY one to attract controversy, despite his lack of a nose, pointy ears, and attire that was MUCH more stereotypically Middle Eastern or Indian than anything recognizably African.

Plus, (and I'm surprised I forgot to mention this until now :crazy: ) FUNimation decades ago already changed his stunted, simplistic speech in the Japanese version that could very well be considered problematic and vaguely reminiscent of stereotypical "slave speech" by making him talk more normally. Which is ESPECIALLY hilarious, because, well... they did the EXACT OPPOSITE with Killa. I still to this day have ABSOLUTELY NO FUCKING CLUE WHAAAAAT they were thinking when they had Dameon Clarke do... that...

But all that aside, either way... yeah, let's pray to Kamisama that the horribly edited monstrosity that is Blue Popo stays in the past where he belongs... (although, hilariously ironically, Blue Popo does almost in some perverted way fit in with Kai, considering that, as a whole, Kai was a horribly edited butcherjob of Z lmao). And let's also not go down the Viz route and remove his lips altogether. That shit just looked WEIRD lol

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue May 07, 2024 5:00 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 12:38 pmI love this post, not only because its hilarious, but rather I was bracing myself for "Oh great, now Baby Boomers, Gen X'ers AND Millenials can join in on the arrested development and REFUSING TO GROW THE FUCK UP."
Baby Boomers have, broadly speaking as a collective whole anyway, just about never cared that much about their childhood cartoons. Baby Boomers are plenty nostalgic, but generally they most often tend to get nostalgic about stuff from their younger adulthoods, roughly around college age and onward. Music, cars, cultural events, stuff like that.

There's certainly a tiny little bit of nostalgia from them for stuff like old Hanna-Barbera cartoons every now and then, but that always takes a firm backseat (rightly so) to stuff like The Beatles, Elvis, civil rights protests, the hippie movement, etc.

Gen X'ers are more or less the same, certainly in my experience at least. There's certainly maybe an ever so slight few more of them who care a bit about childhood ephemera relative to Boomers: but not by a whole lot, and certainly nowhere near to the extremes of Millennials. Most of them are former Grunge kids with way, way, vastly more nostalgia invested (again, rightly so) in Nirvana, Tupac, NIN, Tarantino movies, the early internet, and stuff from their high school and college years (which as it happens is also largely stuff from my own childhood years) more so than childhood.

Hell, Lilith Fair, Lollapalooza, and the Riot Grrrl movement have vastly more nostalgia cache among Gen X'ers than does whatever crap was on kids' TV in the 70s. Star Wars is probably the most overpoweringly childhood-centric fixture of Gen X'ers by a mile, but nothing else really comes close to that otherwise.

And its not hard to see why it shakes out like this: both those generations simply had a whole lot more going for them in their adult years than Millennials have had: which is in no small part why so many Millennials have ended up spending their 20s and 30s pining obsessively for being children again.

And honestly at this point, Zoomers/Gen Z have for a few years now seemed to be as fed up with the whole "cartoon obsessed manchildren" shtick as I've long-since been, and I for one am all here for it.

I've seen more than my share of Zoomers viciously and mercilessly roast millennials for the cartoon/childhood fixation in ways that make anything I've ever said about it publicly on these forums seem absolutely tame and benign in comparison, and it never, ever fails to make me cackle in delight anytime it happens. :lol: Its certainly way the hell long past overdue at this point.

This one in particular has lived rent free in my head for like 4 years now (and I couldn't agree more with it):

So yeah, the way things seem to be trending the past several years or so, it looks like Millennials might just end up being all alone on this particular ledge.

Fair to say, even though I'm a Xennial (I'm right smack on the dividing line between Gen X and Millennial, making me simultaneously kind of both and neither at the same time) I tend to get along with and have much more common ground with Zoomers than I've ever had with Millennials. (Similarly, a great deal of my closest friends when I was a kid growing up were Gen X'ers, who were slightly older than me).

I've spent the better part of the last 7 years working with a lot of Gen Z folks in my real life work, and they've almost always been some of the most amazing, level-headed, and grounded people I've met in many years. And yes, we usually both roll our eyes at and make fun of shit like this with regards to Millennials whenever it comes up. :lol:

This webcomic up here? 100% factual, can confirm. :lol:

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 6:05 pmHe hates the whole "CHILHOOD PWNS" take the internet has and how they only focus on vapid kids shows.
At this point, it definitely isn't "the internet" writ large that has this outlook anymore. It certainly WAS a good majority of the internet maybe a decade/decade and a half ago (I certainly remember and do not at all miss that): but times have finally changed and, as noted, the younger generations don't seem to be nearly as on board with this mindset as so many Millennials were (and in many cases, still are).

Which y'know... good on them. It should never have been this much of a thing to begin with in the first place.

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 6:05 pmBut I guess, much like me but on the opposite side, there wasnt really any new ground to cover and just called it a day.
Nah, there's still loads and loads of material on that topic that's plenty ripe for a deep dive discussion/analysis. And I mean a genuinely serious and substantive one, not simply mean-spirited heckling and mocking: all kidding aside, that's really not something I have any interest at all whatsoever in doing with this.

As much as folks who only see what I write on this forum may think I've unloaded on that topic already, believe me I haven't gone into nearly the kind of depth or nuance on this topic publicly on here as I have in private off the forums.

I'd toyed with making a whole dedicated thread for it on here a long, long time ago to really take a harsh, soberingly critical and analytic eye to this whole phenomenon on like a wide, broad scale: but it never wound up panning out. Mostly because I didn't have the energy or patience at the time to deal with the barrage of hostility that such a topic would no doubt engender on a forum like this one, and I frankly just had vastly more important IRL shit to worry about.

And now, I'm not sure the topic is really as necessary or warranting of a big thread analysis at this point since, like I said, the cultural pendulum seems to be (finally) swinging back the other way as Gen Z grows further into adulthood and they seem to largely be having that desperately needed "Wait a minute, what the fuck are we even doing here?" moment of self-aware clarity that most Millennials have never seemed to have had (and badly, badly needed to have had since a good many years ago now) on this particular subject.

Even on this very forum here, there's been a subtle, but noticeable attitude shift on this in more recent years: without naming any names or putting anyone needlessly or unfairly on the spot, lets just say there've been at least a few notable oldies from here who certainly used to be of this particular persuasion - for like, a good long, loooooong while - who have thankfully seem to have just started to grow past it since at least a few years ago (better late than never), and plenty of younger/newer members here have also shown to have a vastly more rounded and intellectually curious view of art and media far beyond the boundaries of children's television schlock than most anyone who was active on here ten or fifteen+ years back.

2005 or 2006 up through maybe as late as 2017/2018 represented a lot of the absolute most excessive worst of it. Give or take. So about a good ten years and change stretch there.

Maybe though, since its now starting to be moved past (little by little) as Gens Y and Z shift ahead, it can be looked back on in a more retrospective lens rather than examined as a current/present day thing? That might be a better/more fitting angle to examine it from now in the 2020s, compared to back in the 2000s and 2010s: even though, as noted, we're still as of presently kind midway through the transition and aren't entirely/fully past it yet. I dunno. Something to mull over maybe.

In hindsight, a big part of me definitely regrets that I didn't go really deeply into this specific rabbit hole on here a decade/decade and a half ago during the apex period of it. But it was just such a hyper sensitive hornet's nest/minefield of a topic to navigate, particularly at that time. And like I said, real life was just very, very chaotic on my end during that period and I had much bigger shit to devote that time and energy towards. And who am I kidding, I STILL do even today presently. :lol:
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Tue May 07, 2024 10:52 am

Vegetto95 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 7:33 pm And in comparison to disgusting things like that that enforce EXTREMELY harmful negative depictions of blacks... yeah, Popo, Black, and Killa's lips, while absolutely stereotypical and not exactly a positive depiction by any means, are barely an issue.
Something interesting about this sort of thing in particular is that Toriyama had similar designs in his other works like Dr. Slump and other side features apart from DB, and hadn't broken from them even into the late 90's period.
Now, the issue with that is - and I don't mean to try and drag his name through the mud especially after he's gone - people may try to exonerate it due to the time he was born in and other such factors, but if one really sits down and takes a look at what the general landscape of JP media was back then, it wasn't exactly the most prevalent kind of design, despite the popularity of a certain book that was driven out of print by a JP anti-discrimination organization (that also targeted Dr. Slump for what was featured inside it).

As an example of non-objectionable designs of the same subject (namely my own), there's, say, SDF Macross and UC Gundam (ZZ particularly). And even other 80's-90's productions.

So I can understand those who would view it as an issue, since at the end of the day it was terribly outdated even during that time period (although not everyone is on the same page in that particular landscape on this or many other issues/conventions).

(Not that I want to derail the thread or focus too much on this, but since it came up and I didn't want to start a topic about it I thought that I may as well respond to it.)

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue May 07, 2024 11:49 am

Kunzait_83 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 5:00 am
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 12:38 pmI love this post, not only because its hilarious, but rather I was bracing myself for "Oh great, now Baby Boomers, Gen X'ers AND Millenials can join in on the arrested development and REFUSING TO GROW THE FUCK UP."
Baby Boomers have, broadly speaking as a collective whole anyway, just about never cared that much about their childhood cartoons. Baby Boomers are plenty nostalgic, but generally they most often tend to get nostalgic about stuff from their younger adulthoods, roughly around college age and onward. Music, cars, cultural events, stuff like that.

There's certainly a tiny little bit of nostalgia from them for stuff like old Hanna-Barbera cartoons every now and then, but that always takes a firm backseat (rightly so) to stuff like The Beatles, Elvis, civil rights protests, the hippie movement, etc.

Gen X'ers are more or less the same, certainly in my experience at least. There's certainly maybe an ever so slight few more of them who care a bit about childhood ephemera relative to Boomers: but not by a whole lot, and certainly nowhere near to the extremes of Millennials. Most of them are former Grunge kids with way, way, vastly more nostalgia invested (again, rightly so) in Nirvana, Tupac, NIN, Tarantino movies, the early internet, and stuff from their high school and college years (which as it happens is also largely stuff from my own childhood years) more so than childhood.

Hell, Lilith Fair, Lollapalooza, and the Riot Grrrl movement have vastly more nostalgia cache among Gen X'ers than does whatever crap was on kids' TV in the 70s. Star Wars is probably the most overpoweringly childhood-centric fixture of Gen X'ers by a mile, but nothing else really comes close to that otherwise.

And its not hard to see why it shakes out like this: both those generations simply had a whole lot more going for them in their adult years than Millennials have had: which is in no small part why so many Millennials have ended up spending their 20s and 30s pining obsessively for being children again.

And honestly at this point, Zoomers/Gen Z have for a few years now seemed to be as fed up with the whole "cartoon obsessed manchildren" shtick as I've long-since been, and I for one am all here for it.

I've seen more than my share of Zoomers viciously and mercilessly roast millennials for the cartoon/childhood fixation in ways that make anything I've ever said about it publicly on these forums seem absolutely tame and benign in comparison, and it never, ever fails to make me cackle in delight anytime it happens. :lol: Its certainly way the hell long past overdue at this point.

This one in particular has lived rent free in my head for like 4 years now (and I couldn't agree more with it):

So yeah, the way things seem to be trending the past several years or so, it looks like Millennials might just end up being all alone on this particular ledge.

Fair to say, even though I'm a Xennial (I'm right smack on the dividing line between Gen X and Millennial, making me simultaneously kind of both and neither at the same time) I tend to get along with and have much more common ground with Zoomers than I've ever had with Millennials. (Similarly, a great deal of my closest friends when I was a kid growing up were Gen X'ers, who were slightly older than me).

I've spent the better part of the last 7 years working with a lot of Gen Z folks in my real life work, and they've almost always been some of the most amazing, level-headed, and grounded people I've met in many years. And yes, we usually both roll our eyes at and make fun of shit like this with regards to Millennials whenever it comes up. :lol:

This webcomic up here? 100% factual, can confirm. :lol:

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 6:05 pmHe hates the whole "CHILHOOD PWNS" take the internet has and how they only focus on vapid kids shows.
At this point, it definitely isn't "the internet" writ large that has this outlook anymore. It certainly WAS a good majority of the internet maybe a decade/decade and a half ago (I certainly remember and do not at all miss that): but times have finally changed and, as noted, the younger generations don't seem to be nearly as on board with this mindset as so many Millennials were (and in many cases, still are).

Which y'know... good on them. It should never have been this much of a thing to begin with in the first place.

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 6:05 pmBut I guess, much like me but on the opposite side, there wasnt really any new ground to cover and just called it a day.
Nah, there's still loads and loads of material on that topic that's plenty ripe for a deep dive discussion/analysis. And I mean a genuinely serious and substantive one, not simply mean-spirited heckling and mocking: all kidding aside, that's really not something I have any interest at all whatsoever in doing with this.

As much as folks who only see what I write on this forum may think I've unloaded on that topic already, believe me I haven't gone into nearly the kind of depth or nuance on this topic publicly on here as I have in private off the forums.

I'd toyed with making a whole dedicated thread for it on here a long, long time ago to really take a harsh, soberingly critical and analytic eye to this whole phenomenon on like a wide, broad scale: but it never wound up panning out. Mostly because I didn't have the energy or patience at the time to deal with the barrage of hostility that such a topic would no doubt engender on a forum like this one, and I frankly just had vastly more important IRL shit to worry about.

And now, I'm not sure the topic is really as necessary or warranting of a big thread analysis at this point since, like I said, the cultural pendulum seems to be (finally) swinging back the other way as Gen Z grows further into adulthood and they seem to largely be having that desperately needed "Wait a minute, what the fuck are we even doing here?" moment of self-aware clarity that most Millennials have never seemed to have had (and badly, badly needed to have had since a good many years ago now) on this particular subject.

Even on this very forum here, there's been a subtle, but noticeable attitude shift on this in more recent years: without naming any names or putting anyone needlessly or unfairly on the spot, lets just say there've been at least a few notable oldies from here who certainly used to be of this particular persuasion - for like, a good long, loooooong while - who have thankfully seem to have just started to grow past it since at least a few years ago (better late than never), and plenty of younger/newer members here have also shown to have a vastly more rounded and intellectually curious view of art and media far beyond the boundaries of children's television schlock than most anyone who was active on here ten or fifteen+ years back.

2005 or 2006 up through maybe as late as 2017/2018 represented a lot of the absolute most excessive worst of it. Give or take. So about a good ten years and change stretch there.

Maybe though, since its now starting to be moved past (little by little) as Gens Y and Z shift ahead, it can be looked back on in a more retrospective lens rather than examined as a current/present day thing? That might be a better/more fitting angle to examine it from now in the 2020s, compared to back in the 2000s and 2010s: even though, as noted, we're still as of presently kind midway through the transition and aren't entirely/fully past it yet. I dunno. Something to mull over maybe.

In hindsight, a big part of me definitely regrets that I didn't go really deeply into this specific rabbit hole on here a decade/decade and a half ago during the apex period of it. But it was just such a hyper sensitive hornet's nest/minefield of a topic to navigate, particularly at that time. And like I said, real life was just very, very chaotic on my end during that period and I had much bigger shit to devote that time and energy towards. And who am I kidding, I STILL do even today presently. :lol:
The only thing I sorta object to was the whole "1 bedroom" thing, its not millenials fault that the previous generations absolutely NUKED Millenials chance of getting good homes, but realized it was criticized millenials who DONT worry about that.

I love your posts and your presence Kunzait.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue May 07, 2024 12:13 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:49 am The only thing I sorta object to was the whole "1 bedroom" thing, its not millenials fault that the previous generations absolutely NUKED Millenials chance of getting good homes, but realized it was criticized millenials who DONT worry about that.
That's a good point, I wonder if the reason so many people born around the 90s or so are far more open about their childhood nostalgia is because its so much harder for them than the previous generation to achieve major goals like getting on the housing ladder.

I hear people say every generation found it hard, but I know very few people who can buy a house in Dublin in their early 20s nowadays as my parents who were born in the 60s and earn decent money (though my mother is now retired) but wouldn't be considered Super wealthy by any means did in their day. Myself and my sister bought our first homes in our late 20s outside the capital, but we still had to work very hard.

The job market also looks for a lot more in their applicants than they used to, from what I gather. Although you could argue because so many people go to college nowadays degrees have become devalued and don't impress employers on their own as they used to.

Shows like Dragon Ball have been a great form of escapism for those times I felt like a failure compared to my parent's generation. Its a different kind of nostalgia than what I have for my college days (scary to think those were over 10 years ago now) and more of a comfort thing that I can revisit. Being a student were good times but I accept it belonged to that, a time. I don't have an urge to go back to it. You could say the same about Dragon Ball and it will never have the magic it did when I first saw it, but my love for this franchise is different as an adult. I can acknowledge its flaws and appreciate it for its imperfections. When I was a kid this was not the case. I don't crave the ignorant bliss though, I value my media warts and all, not what I want it to be.

My dad wouldn't be nostalgic for any shows or movies he liked as a kid (although I doubt any of them had as much substance as Dragon Ball) and if he was he's the type, in Kunzait's example they would take a backseat to his fondness for cars (especially for a mechanic by trade), the music and fashion of his youth, etc. I imagine if he had to live with his parents, for the most part until his late 20s as myself and my sister did, for the most part he probably would have looked for more distraction from the economic realities that we faced to a greater extent. Maybe it wouldn't have been cartoons but it would have been something, cheesier pop music like Savage Garden, Boyzone and S Club 7 and less David Bowie, Billy Joel and Elton John but he would have found a happier, safer place to retreat to somewhere that was not Golf or Snooker.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: