The CW/4Kids Broadcasts of Kai on Toonzai and Vortexx

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

The CW/4Kids Broadcasts of Kai on Toonzai and Vortexx

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu May 09, 2024 5:44 pm

Thought it would be fun to make a thread like this, as I know by now plenty of you were exposed to Kai through these channels, and the Nicktoons broadcasts get discussed a lot, but the CW/4Kids stuff less so.

The story of the other edited US broadcast of Kai brings us all the way back to the beginning of Kai's US debut.

Shortly before Kai's official May 24, 2010 launch on Nicktoons, Funimation announced the show was also to be shown later that year on theCW4Kids new programming block and sneak peaks would be shown during the summer.

The deal was made between 4Kids Entertainment, Funimation and TOEI with 4Kids chairman hoping for it to be a "mainstay" with 4Kids making it available to stream on their websites as well as a VOD platform named Toonzaki on September 15th. For an unexplained reason episode descriptions on Toonzai's website at the time mentioned deaths despite them being censored in the episode.

Kai premiered on Toonzai at 10am on August 14, 2010, alongside other shows like Yu-Gi-Oh! 5Ds and Sonic X.

While the Toonzaki streaming platform was active they told fans anyone that didn't recognize Mr Popo's design as being "racially insensitive" in the US, but they have since deleted it and any references to Kai on their Facebook. Ironically enough, rather than Kai Toonzaki streamed Dragon Ball Z on January 16, 2011 with an uncensored Mr Popo intact and Canadian streaming blocked.

To wrap up their first season of Kai and other shows, including classic Yu-Gi-Oh! and Magi-Nation Toonzai held an "encore season" starting September 17, 2011 where fans could tune in and find out how to win a prize package, which included a 3D TV, PlayStation 3 and touch tablet. Kai's normal 10am timeslot was extended to a double bill.

Toonzai began to air episodes of Kai with the Shunsuke Kikuchi replacement score before Nicktoons, coinciding with TOEI acknowledging the scandal on March 27, 2011.

To hype up the Goku vs Freeza fight Toonzai held a Brawl-A-Thon on August 11, 2012 where they aired 8 episodes from 8am-12pm.

One really neat thing Toonzai also did was air close-ups of characters narrated by the one and only Seto Kaiba Eric Stuart.

Following the splitting of 4Kids' assets between Saban's Kidsco Media Ventures LLC and Konami's 4K Acquisition Corp, which took place in the June 2012 bankruptcy court Saban acquired the previous Toonzai programming block and for the new Vortexx block, which premiered on August 25th Kai aired at a slightly later time of 10:30am. At the time there were many jokes about how Saban can't count past 53 :lol: because reportedly they only had the rights to the first 52 episodes.

Nonetheless Toonzai featured the CW's premier of the Saiyan and Freeza arcs, but
Vortexx did air the Cell arc. Toonzai's run concluded on August 11, 2012 and Kai on Vortexx ran from August 25, 2012 to September 27, 2014. Between premiers and reruns Toonzai and Vortexx aired 213 and 122 episodes respectively.

The CW/4Kids seasons were as follows:
  • Season 1 : Episodes 1-26
  • Season 2 : Episodes 27-52
  • Season 3 : Episodes 53-78
  • Season 4 : Episodes 79-97
Toonzai's finale, which was episode 52, I believe aired on May 14, 2011, no new episodes aired until Vortexx as according to the sales agreement that was all they had the rights to at the time.

While Kai left Nicktoons in April 2013 Kai was still being shown on the rebranded Vortexx block as of 2014, although it left the channel when Vortexx closed on September 27th.

The Toonzai/Vortexx edit of Kai was similar to the Ocean/Nicktoons version with some additions:
  • Shenron removed from the OP in some episodes as a request by an advertising client (for example one of the sponsors buying ad time) not the Standards And Practices division
  • Turning Mr Popo blue
  • Changing halos to glowing spheres
  • Drawing line over Gohan's swollen face
  • Adding sparkles to Chiaotzu's explosion
  • Replacing questionable lines of dialogue with soundalike voices
So did anyone watch Kai on Toonzai or Vortexx? Would love to hear your stories.
Last edited by Dragon Ball Ireland on Sun May 12, 2024 5:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: The CW/4Kids Broadcasts of Kai on Toonzai and Vortexx

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu May 09, 2024 5:50 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland showing whose the best.

I love these broadcasts, few saturday morning cartoons got away with the violence DBZKai did and was one of the final big hits of Saturday Mornings.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri May 10, 2024 3:21 am

Thanks, just trying to document as much as I can from these broadcasts as there doesn't seem to be anywhere people can find it all in one place.

Having done another browse through old forums it appears Vortexx aired the final TV episode of Kai on November 2, 2013, which was 97 with 98 obviously on the home video releases.

I wasn't aware Vortexx aired the original Yu-Gi-Oh series, that's cool and nice another generation got to experience it. I recall hearing Duel Monsters was still being aired around that time but didn't look much into it.

I haven't seen Vortexx recordings but apparently on episode 97 the part with Goku talking from Other World starts with "Hey Guys" and then cuts to "Don't wish me back, bye!". I'm also not sure if the same applied to Vortexx but from what I've heard Nicktoons aired the NEP for 98 despite not airing the episode.

On one hand I'd say that must have been jarring, but then again neither Nicktoons nor Vortexx aired The Final Chapters so I guess anyone that wanted to see that episode bought the DVDs, Blu-Rays or found another means anyway. Though I guess an argument could be made for Nicktoons since they aired GT, which was an obvious attempt to milk whatever they could out of the franchise by taking a cheap decade old TV edit just to give fans more Dragon Ball. Wish they had of called Ocean to ask about getting it edited with the Tokunaga score, or hell even about acquiring the better English dub of GT. And Nicktoons did eventually air episode 98.

It also appears someone documented all the Vortexx schedules. If this list is accurate Kai was moved from the 10:30am timeslot back to its 10am slot from Toonzai on January 19, 2013, new eisodes began on April 13th and from May 18th to August 10th the same year that 10am slot became a double bill before reverting back to a single 10am slot for the remainder of the run.

Here are the schedules for anyone that wants them and in case this page goes down. May as well preserve them if Vortexx truly was the final nail in the coffin of the Saturday Morning Cartoon block genre:
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Fri May 10, 2024 2:20 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 5:44 pm Replacing questionable lines of dialogue with soundalike voices
And if I recall correctly, it was Sean Schemmel doing them.

Here's him as Vegeta at 2:07:
https://youtu.be/rebTDWIsDP8?si=QfQde2o15VjJ6FJB

The fact that they had to soften those dialogues more than they were on the edited Nicktoons dub audio, says a lot about how the CW's standards and practices were even tougher than Nickelodeon's.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri May 10, 2024 2:38 pm

Tian wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 2:20 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 5:44 pm Replacing questionable lines of dialogue with soundalike voices

The fact that they had to soften those dialogues more than they were on the edited Nicktoons dub audio, says a lot about how the CW's standards and practices were even tougher than Nickelodeon's.
Nicktoons, I know its just a sister channel so they are pretty much the same, but Nicktoons is a niche high tier cable channel. So Viacom felt more confident in allowing violence and death there. And it paid off, DBZKai was a huge hit for NIcktoons, kids and adults loved it.

One thing I wish its not too later for DBI to include on the opening post: Removing Shen Long from the opening was not done on the Standards And Practices division but a request by an advertising client. As in one of the sponsors buying ad time.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Fri May 10, 2024 3:33 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 2:38 pm Nicktoons, I know its just a sister channel so they are pretty much the same, but Nicktoons is a niche high tier cable channel. So Viacom felt more confident in allowing violence and death there. And it paid off, DBZKai was a huge hit for NIcktoons, kids and adults loved it.
That makes sense. Being the less available sister network really has its benefits.

In fact, the "Viacom felt more confident" part just reminded me of when the U.S Nick Jr. channel aired this defunct block called NickMom, whose programming were mostly adult-oriented comedy series.

It did met criticism though because the block started earlier in some areas of the U.S and some people weren't okay with this due to the block's content.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri May 10, 2024 3:38 pm

Tian wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:33 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 2:38 pm Nicktoons, I know its just a sister channel so they are pretty much the same, but Nicktoons is a niche high tier cable channel. So Viacom felt more confident in allowing violence and death there. And it paid off, DBZKai was a huge hit for NIcktoons, kids and adults loved it.
That makes sense. Being the less available sister network really has its benefits.

In fact, the "Viacom felt more confident" part just reminded me of when the U.S Nick Jr. channel aired this defunct block called NickMom, whose programming were mostly adult-oriented comedy series.

It did met criticism though because the block started earlier in some areas of the U.S and some people weren't okay with this due to the block's content.
Did you know that Nick Jr, back in the 80's aired THIS ANIME on Nickelodeon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWasvyqT9GM&t=125s

God I wish Nick Jr had the balls it had in the 80's.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri May 10, 2024 3:44 pm

Correct, I have to give Sean Schemmel credit but that was a damn good impression of Chris Sabat's Vegeta, as were his Piccolo lines.

TheBlackPaladin actually has this theory 4Kids only found out at the last second additional dialogue edits were needed and because Sean Schemmel was local (he lived in New York recording for stuff like Pokemon) they had him do impressions of the characters whose lines had to be redone rather than asking Funimation to rerecord more lines. This was just for the first few episodes though, as I believe Chris Ayres has also mentioned being asked to record extra lines even after the Nicktoons broadcast.

Another point I forgot to mention is apparently prior to the Toonzai airings a 4Kids executive (maybe Mark Kirk?) said in an interview they would try and use the Nicktoons cut (as Kix in the UK later did) but they may be forced to make additional edits. The fact Kai was aired at a timeslot that's very strict about edits also didn't help. When Kai aired in the UK on Kix they used the Nicktoons edit (we know this because their logo was occasionally shown and episode 24 aired out of sync, which was a mixing error that wasn't fixed when the Yamamoto score was originally being replaced, so the US got this problem too) but it was mostly shown in the evenings.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 2:38 pm One thing I wish its not too later for DBI to include on the opening post: Removing Shen Long from the opening was not done on the Standards And Practices division but a request by an advertising client. As in one of the sponsors buying ad time.
Puts on deep gravelly eternal Dragon voice

"Your wish has been granted."
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:38 pm Did you know that Nick Jr, back in the 80's aired THIS ANIME on Nickelodeon?

Nickelodeon aired Cardcaptors and Yu-Gi-Oh! in the UK back in 2002-2006, sad they didn't keep airing anime on the main channel or Nick Junior.

Not sure about Nick Junior now or any other sister channels but apparently Nicktoons UK is aimed towards a younger audience than the US. I need to find the thread but someone here once shared an email response they got from Nicktoons UK where they told him/her this and said while they wouldn't be airing Kai the person contacting them should check Cartoon Network as they would be surprised if Cartoon Network didn't get Kai. This makes me wonder were Cartoon Network UK considering airing the Ocean dub of Kai at one point but then, much to our frustration opted not to air it, as its really strange someone from Nickelodeon would be promoting the rival channel unless a deal was being worked out at the time.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri May 10, 2024 4:20 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:44 pm

Correct, I have to give Sean Schemmel credit but that was a damn good impression of Chris Sabat's Vegeta, as were his Piccolo lines.

TheBlackPaladin actually has this theory 4Kids only found out at the last second additional dialogue edits were needed and because Sean Schemmel was local (he lived in New York recording for stuff like Pokemon) they had him do impressions of the characters whose lines had to be redone rather than asking Funimation to rerecord more lines. This was just for the first few episodes though, as I believe Chris Ayres has also mentioned being asked to record extra lines even after the Nicktoons broadcast.

Another point I forgot to mention is apparently prior to the Toonzai airings a 4Kids executive (maybe Mark Kirk?) said in an interview they would try and use the Nicktoons cut (as Kix in the UK later did) but they may be forced to make additional edits. The fact Kai was aired at a timeslot that's very strict about edits also didn't help. When Kai aired in the UK on Kix they used the Nicktoons edit (we know this because their logo was occasionally shown and episode 24 aired out of sync, which was a mixing error that wasn't fixed when the Yamamoto score was originally being replaced, so the US got this problem too) but it was mostly shown in the evenings.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 2:38 pm One thing I wish its not too later for DBI to include on the opening post: Removing Shen Long from the opening was not done on the Standards And Practices division but a request by an advertising client. As in one of the sponsors buying ad time.
Puts on deep gravelly eternal Dragon voice

"Your wish has been granted."
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:38 pm Did you know that Nick Jr, back in the 80's aired THIS ANIME on Nickelodeon?

Nickelodeon aired Cardcaptors and Yu-Gi-Oh! in the UK back in 2002-2006, sad they didn't keep airing anime on the main channel or Nick Junior.

Not sure about Nick Junior now or any other sister channels but apparently Nicktoons UK is aimed towards a younger audience than the US. I need to find the thread but someone here once shared an email response they got from Nicktoons UK where they told him/her this and said while they wouldn't be airing Kai the person contacting them should check Cartoon Network as they would be surprised if Cartoon Network didn't get Kai. This makes me wonder were Cartoon Network UK considering airing the Ocean dub of Kai at one point but then, much to our frustration opted not to air it, as its really strange someone from Nickelodeon would be promoting the rival channel unless a deal was being worked out at the time.
The comment was not for Nick Jr airing anime but that the anime they aired is PRETTY FUCKED UP. If you followed the link you would have seen one of the most messed up Fairytales being adapted faithfully and with very little censorship.

Google "Bluebeard"

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri May 10, 2024 4:29 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 4:20 pm The comment was not for Nick Jr airing anime but that the anime they aired is PRETTY FUCKED UP. If you followed the link you would have seen one of the most messed up Fairytales being adapted faithfully and with very little censorship.

Google "Bluebeard"
Fair enough man, honestly I'm just salty that both Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon moved away from anime here altogether. They used to be so great back in the day.

It's mind boggling the two broadcasting giants never once aired Kai in the UK and Ireland considering the ratings it got for their US channels, as well as the CW (who I should add were the ones ordering the edits, not 4Kids) considering their Toonzai and Vortexx block featured reruns of episodes that already premiered on Nicktoons.

I'll check up Bluebeard for sure though, I was not aware of that.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Fri May 10, 2024 4:34 pm

While I was aware that they were airing mostly foreign and acquired programming back in 80s because they barely had any original programming, I wasn't aware they aired that anime.

Thanks for the info!
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:44 pm TheBlackPaladin actually has this theory 4Kids only found out at the last second additional dialogue edits were needed and because Sean Schemmel was local (he lived in New York recording for stuff like Pokemon) they had him do impressions of the characters whose lines had to be redone rather than asking Funimation to rerecord more lines.
Yeah, it was more money and time saving for them to just use Schemmel in-house rather than pay several actors for one or two dialogues and wait for the recordings from Texas.
When Kai aired in the UK on Kix they used the Nicktoons edit (we know this because their logo was occasionally shown and episode 24 aired out of sync, which was a mixing error that wasn't fixed when the Yamamoto score was originally being replaced, so the US got this problem too) but it was mostly shown in the evenings.
Pretty weird they didn't give them the clean masters (without the logo) just as the rest of the world who got the Nicktoons version.
Yu-Gi-Oh was also aired here on Nickelodeon, and so was GX.

But unfortunately, Nickelodeon LatAm didn't want anything to do with 5D's and yeah, that one ended up airing on this Mexican channel ZAZ, which wasn't available in many providers at the time 5D's aired.

I dunno about the local situation on other LatAm countries but 5D's would eventually air on my country's Telefe on this ZTV block that also aired Dragon Ball Z. Too late for me because I've already watched the series (subbed) and the Bonds Beyond Time movie (subbed & dubbed, the latter one because it was aired on the exclusive CityFamily channel)
Not sure about Nick Junior now or any other sister channels but apparently Nicktoons UK is aimed towards a younger audience than the US. I need to find the thread but someone here once shared an email response they got from Nicktoons UK where they told him/her this and said while they wouldn't be airing Kai the person contacting them should check Cartoon Network as they would be surprised if Cartoon Network didn't get Kai. This makes me wonder were Cartoon Network UK considering airing the Ocean dub of Kai at one point but then screwed their fans by opting not to air it, as its really strange someone from Nickelodeon would be promoting the rival channel.
It's really hilarious that whoever's in charge of Nicktoons mail sent them to go ask Cartoon Network instead of them. :lol:

"Hi! Do you have plans to air Kai?"
"You think we are Cartoon Network? Go ask them instead of us."

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri May 10, 2024 4:51 pm

I love Chris Ayres, and I didnt know he had to redub some of his lines for the CW broadcast. I guess that's why he felt the need to insist to fans "If you want to see the real deal, DVDs are out, but this is a kid friendly broadcast"

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri May 10, 2024 5:48 pm

Tian wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 4:34 pm Pretty weird they didn't give them the clean masters (without the logo) just as the rest of the world who got the Nicktoons version.
Supposedly it wasn't an uncommon thing for Kix, same happened for Digimon which they aired with the Jetix logo from what 90sDBZ has said. I don't recall ever seeing the Nicktoons logo, but I didn't watch the entire Kix Kai run as I was in college at the time, so it may have been just something that went under the radar and was a thing for a few episodes, maybe not even full episodes.
Tian wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 4:34 pm Yu-Gi-Oh was also aired here on Nickelodeon, and so was GX.

But unfortunately, Nickelodeon LatAm didn't want anything to do with 5D's and yeah, that one ended up airing on this Mexican channel ZAZ, which wasn't available in many providers at the time 5D's aired.

I dunno about the local situation on other LatAm countries but 5D's would eventually air on my country's Telefe on this ZTV block that also aired Dragon Ball Z. Too late for me because I've already watched the series (subbed) and the Bonds Beyond Time movie (subbed & dubbed, the latter one because it was aired on the exclusive CityFamily channel)
Yeah, Yu-Gi-Oh aired on a load of channels here.

RTÉ2 aired the original, GX, 5Ds and Zexal, one neat thing for us Irish fans is I'm pretty sure we got at least the English dub of Duel Monsters in its entirety before anyone else. I vividly recall seeing the Ceremonial Battle at the end airing in the first few days of 2006 and shortly after RTÉ shocked the world by premiering the Capsule Monsters mini-arc that no one had ever heard of (it was mentioned on the Talkin' Sports website but I guess that's the last place a Yu-Gi-Oh fan would think to look for news about the show, as it didn't seem to catch on from there). That said I rarely got to watch the show on RTÉ2 as episodes always aired around 3:30pm when I was not home from school, so I usually watched it on Sky One or Nickelodeon on Sunday mornings but for the final episodes of Dawn of the Duel I was so happy to be off school for about a week after new years (and lucky we have that luxury as I know not all countries do).

Sadly for us Nickelodeon seemed to have lost all interest in the franchise after the original series as they never aired anything after it. I'm not sure if they even aired Capsule Monsters, but I doubt it. Maybe they got jealous of this small little Irish broadcaster stealing their limelight for what was their anime darling. I remember RTÉ2 definitely finished up seasons 3 and 4 before them and Sky One as well. I don't know why but for some reason RTÉ seemed to be in a rush to get to GX as they aired the final season of Duel Monsters and GX between late 2005 and early 2006. For the previous seasons of Yu-Gi-Oh only one season premiered between about September and the following spring time.

I got to see most of RTÉ's run of GX, but nothing after that as I got so busy with school after the first 2 seasons. I think GX might have aired on a few other channels at the time, I know it aired on Kix but that was much later. I actually only got to see all of GX season 3 and 5Ds a few years ago, I wish I had the chance to see them sooner though, especially 5Ds.

I caught maybe one episode of Zexal on Cartoon Network but none of it on RTÉ. Likewise I just seen more of it recently, although I fell off and it's been a while now.
Tian wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 4:34 pm It's really hilarious that whoever's in charge of Nicktoons mail sent them to go ask Cartoon Network instead of them. :lol:
"Hi! Do you have plans to air Kai?"
"You think we are Cartoon Network? Go ask them instead of us."
I found it. Apparently this was the reply SSJSteve got.
Nicktoons UK wrote:Hi Steve! Good questions. I guess it’s possible, if it was really popular in the states, that it could change things here, but generally speaking NickToons in the UK is a slightly younger channel than NickToons in America, so not all the programmes work as well for us. Nothing is impossible though.

But in all honesty we think it’s most likely that the series will be picked up by another channel. Obviously we don’t know, because the other channels don’t share their plans or schedules with their rivals, but as you say Cartoon Network could be a good candidate, especially as they’ve shown lots of the DBZ series in the past. We’d be quite surprised if they didn’t get it, certainly. But only they could tell you for sure!

Hope this helps. Thanks again!
Strange response all the same, although I guess Nickelodeon weren't completely ruling it out.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 4:51 pm I love Chris Ayres, and I didnt know he had to redub some of his lines for the CW broadcast. I guess that's why he felt the need to insist to fans "If you want to see the real deal, DVDs are out, but this is a kid friendly broadcast"
Same, I wish he was still here with us and could have done all of Super. Would have loved to have met the man too.
Last edited by Dragon Ball Ireland on Fri May 10, 2024 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Fri May 10, 2024 5:56 pm

Tian wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 4:34 pm

While I was aware that they were airing mostly foreign and acquired programming back in 80s because they barely had any original programming, I wasn't aware they aired that anime.

Thanks for the info!
They aired that anime, but not that specific episode. Saban covered the whole series but withheld certain episodes from US Nick Jr broadcast due to being considered too dark or inappropriate for Nick Jr's target audience, and that was one of them.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

M16U3L2015
Not-So-Newbie

Post by M16U3L2015 » Sat May 11, 2024 8:40 pm

In fact, I found on Archive.org recordings of Kai's broadcast on Vortexx and there is a recording of episode 98, with the censorship of the halos.

https://archive.org/details/4KidsKaiPar ... part+3.wmv

M16U3L2015
Not-So-Newbie

Post by M16U3L2015 » Sat May 11, 2024 8:55 pm

It's also something I've wondered, why didn't Nicktoons air episode 98 even though Funimation made an edited version of it?

(As a side note, I found a funny inconsistency with the censorship, because in the overview at the end of episode 98 they changed the censorship of this shot from episode 53)

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun May 12, 2024 8:38 am

M16U3L2015 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:55 pm It's also something I've wondered, why didn't Nicktoons air episode 98 even though Funimation made an edited version of it?
They did, just over a year after they aired episode 97 and with GT airing in between. I guess because History of Trunks was airing the same day Nicktoons thought it was the perfect time to air 98 to compliment it and give viewers a more optimistic inverse of the same storyline.

I'm not sure was episode 98 rerun on Nicktoons however, if it was it was probably not often as recordings were rare for a while. It aired on Kix in late 2013 and they continued to rerun Kai for about 2 years after its conclusion in the UK but oddly enough they mostly aired the Saiyan and Freeza arcs and only occasionally reran the later episodes.

I don't think 98 aired on Vortexx however, but I could be wrong.