Dragon Ball references

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Izlude
Regular

Dragon Ball references

Post by Izlude » Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:11 am

I am sure there are plenty of them, whether in other manga, anime, movies, tv shows, yadda yadda yadda.

Theres a few I can come up with, one that is funny in particular is in the 1st volume of City Hunter, Ryo Saeba, our main man helps a whore out by punching a man(an unsually pretty man) who was threatening her, but it turns out this man is a woman (the one he was sent to find none the less) and this whore was trying to sucker her into spending some money for a good time.

Ryo cracks a joke about how she'll have to check out her potential customers from now, and a lil Goku is in the corner of the panel saying "Just give'em a feel" :twisted:

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Dragon Ball refrences

Post by SaiyaJedi » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:28 am

I am aware of at least a few:
  • In Mahou Shotengai Abenobashi, in the martial-arts style episode (#4). Not only does Sasshi figure out that the key to making his Bruce Lee jumpsuit work is simply believing in it, but that he can also go SSJ and fire a Kamehameha. :shock: In the same series, in episode #3, a Freeza look-alike appears on camera for a few seconds.
  • In Excel Saga, episode 19 (I think)... I believe it involves Pedro doing a Kamehameha.
  • In Puni Puni Poemi, Poemi makes a wish to the DBs to bring back her father and mother (Nabeshin and Kumikumi). Nothing happens.
I've also heard about several references here and there in other works, like Naruto (which doesn't surprise me), Tenjou-Tenge (which still doesn't really surprise me), but also the likes of Video Girl Ai, Love Hina, and even G.T.O. Weird, I know... :?
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:51 am

On one panel in Naruto there was a mask of Chaotzu I believe.

In Tenjou Tenge, one of the main characters challenges an upper classmen to a fight, and gets his arse kicked, and then is blown away with some kind of blast move and questions if that was a kamehameha.

In The Slayers Motion Picture, Naga runs to the hot baths screaming - "Me first! Me first! Last one in is a rotten dragon ball!"

If I think of more I'll add'em, and I'll see if I can get scans too.
Last edited by Izlude on Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:23 pm

There was also a dance music video where one of the steps involved turning around and firing a Kamehameha....

And keep in mind that this was a live-action video.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:33 pm

In the Yu-Gi-Oh! manga in the first chapter Yugi says that maybe if he put the Millennium Puzzle together he'll get a wish and he thinks to himself: "Just like the Dragonballs!"

DNA2 the main character has a transformation called Super Playboy that the author openly admits is in honor of the Super Saiyans.

In the French movie "Asterix & Obelix" based on the comics of the same name, when Asterix fights Caesar, there is a quick scene mocking the fights in Dragonball and the Matrix.

The final segment in Fairly Oddparents: The Channel Chasers is drawn in Toriyama-esque style and resembles the Tenka'ichi Budokai.

Codename Kids Next Door had a Dragonball Z segment with one of the characters being Super Saiyan and another looking like a multi-headed Freeza.

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:40 pm

Classking Yamazaki had a episode when his shit came back to live [it saved Yamazaki once] and at the end of the episode it went SSJ and shot a "Shitehameha" on a dog or something.

It's the only episode I have ever seen of the anime...was kinda strange...
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:44 pm

In Street Fighter, Ryu does a move called the Hadou....... wait, never mind. >.<

Meri
The Wife

Post by Meri » Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:10 pm

Best reference EVAR: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Season 7. You can download of the scene in question from my site:

http://www.templeotrunks.com/misc/featu ... fy_DBZ.mpg

on

http://www.templeotrunks.com/misc/features/index.html

WhatTheDarn
Not-So-Newbie

Post by WhatTheDarn » Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:40 pm

Meri, I didn't understand that clip... did you replace the thing with the guy talking about Vegeta not being a pure-blood anymore?

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:44 pm

I liked the "Chicken Ball Z" episode of the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy.

Meri
The Wife

Post by Meri » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:42 pm

WhatTheDarn wrote:Meri, I didn't understand that clip... did you replace the thing with the guy talking about Vegeta not being a pure-blood anymore?
Crap, my file looks like it needs replacing. I'm not sure why only a few seconds were there. I'm uploading the full version right now.

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:02 pm

Yeah, I knew there had to be something wrong with that clip.

Even though it was funny to see a DBZ refference in Buffy, I don't think it was meant as a good thing. The guy who says it is a complete loser, and nobody seemed to understand what he was saying. Anime gets thrown into the same group as sci-fi fans, and comic fans.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:38 pm

Except that Buffy has already done about a billion Star Trek and comic references. The show is like a car park exclusively for references that, er, look like cars. Yes.
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

SDHero
Beyond Newbie

Post by SDHero » Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:04 am

Deus ex Machina wrote:Yeah, I knew there had to be something wrong with that clip.

Even though it was funny to see a DBZ refference in Buffy, I don't think it was meant as a good thing. The guy who says it is a complete loser, and nobody seemed to understand what he was saying. Anime gets thrown into the same group as sci-fi fans, and comic fans.
Right, but you have to understand that the three nerds from Buffy (of which Andrew is one) have dialogue pretty much based on conversations the writers were having amongst themselves. Besides, pulling out a DBZ reference in normal conversation with non-anime fans is bizzare, and they WON'T get it.
SJ Dragonball Graphic Novel, Volume 9, page 60. That is all.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:56 am

This probably doesn't count, but I thought I'd mention it anyway because of how terribly cool it is. I first saw this during its editing stage, and then again after it was broadcast:

This video was a project for the video editing class at my high school when I was a senior there, so it was probably... um (carry the three) two years ago. Anyway, I was watching these two people, my friends Lao and Tristan, were going over a fight scene in the school's cafeteria. The fight scene, while obviously staged, was rather interesting. Here you've got Lao, a wiry little lanky Asian guy who has been trained in about five to seven martial arts (I forget - I think one's Shotokan and another's Taekwondo). Then, you have Tristan, a large black football star who learned to street-fight because he got picked on for his homosexuality... but enough about the fight. The real shocker is that, although at the beginning it was even, after Lao almost beat the shit out of Tristan, Tristan knocks him down, and cups his hand together... his lips move, saying something that you can't hear over the swirling noise of the large blue shiny ball forming in his hands... and suddenly, it cannons across the cafeteria, knocking Lao into a wall. It was an amazing sight, and was some of the best amateur video editing I've ever seen.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Tenken
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenken » Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:36 pm

Anyone notice the similarities between Sonic and Dragon Ball?

7 Chaos Emeralds, 7 Dragonballs...

...and the whole Super Sonic, Super Saiyan thing.

I'm sure Yuji Naka (or whoever) took this from dragon ball, but I seriously don't know which one came first. Does anyone know? O_O

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:32 am

Tenken wrote:Anyone notice the similarities between Sonic and Dragon Ball?

7 Chaos Emeralds, 7 Dragonballs...

...and the whole Super Sonic, Super Saiyan thing.

I'm sure Yuji Naka (or whoever) took this from dragon ball, but I seriously don't know which one came first. Does anyone know? O_O
Volume 27:
The Legendary Super Saiyan
First Printing:
12 August 1991

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Sega 11/20/92 NA
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Sega 11/21/92 JP

Hope that answers your question ;)

-Corey

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:39 am

I've got a somewhat obscure one.

Two N64 wrestling games, WWF Wrestlemania 2000 and WWF No Mercy, have two custom taunts that look just like the hand motions for Kamehameha and Genkidama. I feel like there was also something else that I'm forgetting, though.

Ryu
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ryu » Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:58 am

In create a character mode for one of the SmackDown PS2 games you can choose to have super saiyan hair. Is that the one you're thinking?

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball refrences

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:37 am

SaiyaJedi wrote: [*]In Excel Saga, episode 19 (I think)... I believe it involves Pedro doing a Kamehameha.
:shock: *dies*.......