What would happen if Goku chose to be God?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Silver Sinspawn
Advanced Regular

What would happen if Goku chose to be God?

Post by Silver Sinspawn » Wed May 18, 2011 1:32 am

Would he have gotten stronger, or weaker?
I figure he would have gotten stronger, due to training, rather than having that one kid who doesn't really matter, and slacking. Opinions?
Oh, you think the Grand Tour is your ally, you merely stepped into the Grand Tour. I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn’t see the Super until I was already a man; by then, it was nothing to me but blinding!

Dorexx
Regular

Re: What would happen if Goku chose to be God?

Post by Dorexx » Wed May 18, 2011 1:45 am

He would probably receive some godly power-up from Kami that would give him new abilities, like reading minds, materializing things and maybe even grant wishes to some extend. I don't think he would become more powerful as a fighter, since that's not really the main job of a God.

Anyway, I don't see Goku wanting to be Kami in any way, except if it would be really necessary or just for a small period, and what I'm more curious about is what would Kami have done after that, if Goku accepted his offer after the 23rd Budokai.
酷签名

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed May 18, 2011 2:15 am

I'm not sure about stronger or weaker, but I'm pretty sure he would've gotten bored quickly. I don't think I could see Goku sitting around on the lookout watching over Earth all day.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed May 18, 2011 4:02 am

Dorexx wrote:He would probably receive some godly power-up from Kami that would give him new abilities, like reading minds, materializing things and maybe even grant wishes to some extend. I don't think he would become more powerful as a fighter, since that's not really the main job of a God.
That clothes beam technique really could've come in handy against Freeza.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Wed May 18, 2011 4:43 am

Let's say that threats like Piccolo Daimao would have been taken care of instantly (because of Goku's boredom). Or just any evil fighter would be fought.

Kiyza
Regular

Post by Kiyza » Wed May 18, 2011 8:26 am

Dorexx wrote:He would probably receive some godly power-up from Kami that would give him new abilities, like reading minds, materializing things and maybe even grant wishes to some extend. I don't think he would become more powerful as a fighter, since that's not really the main job of a God.
I've always just thought that things like mind reading and materializing objects were Namekian abilities as opposed to godly ones. Piccolo's capable of doing those things and he's not a god. The only ability I would really see as coming along with the position is being able to look at the world below, since that's kind of an important part of the position.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed May 18, 2011 5:47 pm

He would've remained at the same power, but he wouldn't be classed as a human anymore and he would've gotten the special abilities of a god, such as being able to teleport to the afterlife without Shunkan-Ido. He wouldn't have been able to materialize objects, since that's only a Dragon Clan Namekian ability (IMO, Piccolo inherited it because he was the reincarnation of Piccolo Daimao, who was a Dragon Clan Namekian). I'm not sure whether looking at the world below is specifically an ability of a god, or just anyone who's on God's Palace, since I recall other non-god people being able to see what was happening on Earth (such as Super Boo when he walked round the Palace, presumably checking on all the inhabitants on Earth, since he kills all but Mr. Satan and Bee, who he intentionally kept alive [Tenshinhan & Chaozu survived too, but they dodged the blasts]).

He wouldn't be able to grant wishes. Not even God could do that: it was Shenlong, the Dragon God he created along with the Dragon Balls (a Namekian ability, part of materializing objects), who could grant wishes. Reading minds isn't a god-exclusive ability either; Goku himself, Kame-sennin, Tenshinhan, Chaozu and others learned it through meditation, so I don't think he would've learned mind-reading just from becoming a god.

He'd be bored as hell (which is why he declined in the first place; he mentioned being bored at God's Palace when God offered him his job) and would probably just spend his time training. And he'd intervene with any threat on Earth, because of his boredom and that he's a battle junkie.

I think God would've just remained at the Palace (like Piccolo), finally able to retire and let the new God of Earth and the next generation of warriors look after themselves and the planet (the latter part, similar to Kame-sennin). I think he would've somewhat guided Goku in his role as the God of Earth, like I like to think Piccolo did with Dende (perhaps somewhat vaguely supported by Dende asking Piccolo what he should do when Kuririn asked him if he could bring his friends and family to the Palace). I don't think he would've departed to live with the other Namekians on Namek, because it wouldn't feel like home to him. To him, his home would be Earth. Like how some adopted children stay with their adopted parents after their real parents return to look after them, because they see their adopted parents as their "real parents": the ones that raised and cared for them.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Thu May 19, 2011 3:25 am

He would have gained some unique powers, that's for sure, but he couldn't fight in order to protect the earth.

Not just that, he's really stupid. I think the earth would be a worse place if he were Kami. :P

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri May 20, 2011 3:47 pm

SylentEcho wrote:He would have gained some unique powers, that's for sure, but he couldn't fight in order to protect the earth.

Not just that, he's really stupid. I think the earth would be a worse place if he were Kami. :P
It's not as if the child of Katatz did much good in his role as the God of Earth. He spawned an incarnation of pure evil, didn't take responsibility for it until he was released from his entrapment, was set loose again and subsequently became stronger than him. And after that, he just trained guys who were much stronger than him and much more capable of defending the Earth. After that, he just stood there looking over the Earth until Piccolo came to the Palace to merge with him. And as Piccolo rightly put it, the only reason he even needed to exist then was for the Dragon Balls. What the Earth needed wasn't a god - it was a warrior with enough power to defeat the Androids.
Chapter: 356 (DBZ 162), P2.3
Context: talking about fusing with God
Piccolo: “It won’t be fusion. You’ll be nothing more than a trigger for me to achieve a super power up…The only advantage for you existing now is the dragonballs…”

Chapter: 356 (DBZ 162), P3.4
Piccolo: “That’s right. What the world needs now isn’t a god. It’s me! With the super power to defeat them!”
Goku couldn't do much worse than that. And he would fight in order to protect the Earth, because he's a Saiyan, and he loves battle too much. You know, so much so that it's resulted in the deaths of numerous innocent people.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:28 am

I reckon Goku would be a very hands on Kami. But I don't see him doing it for long, because he gets bored so easily. Still - he more or less gets the role thrust upon him again and again, so a formal title and office in the clouds would only slow him down.

MasterVampire
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MasterVampire » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:38 am

Goku pretty much is already God like.

He can go anywhere via Instant Transmission, even to the afterlife and he is the second strongest in the universe apart from Gohan.

Silver Sinspawn
Advanced Regular

Post by Silver Sinspawn » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:45 am

At the time, he didn't have instant transmission, or even a son, and was much weaker..
Oh, you think the Grand Tour is your ally, you merely stepped into the Grand Tour. I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn’t see the Super until I was already a man; by then, it was nothing to me but blinding!

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:41 pm

I feel like the whole concept of Goku being god would have been an interesting idea to play with, if only for a short while (completely agree that he'd get bored of it fast, though). Honestly, interactions between Goku, and Kami are few and far between, which is a shame since I feel like such a thing would be fun to see play out (again, if only for a short while). Seeing Kami show Goku the ropes while Chi-Chi just chills in the back and helps Mr. Popo water the plants and chase butterflies would be interesting to witness, at the least.

And while I'm sure Toriyama wouldn't be interested in expanding the whole "how the universe and who rules over what" *too* much (we do get some of it with the Kaioshin and the Afterlife Tournament stuff) I could see that working into the storyline of Goku as god, too.

At the least, I could imagine after Kami's showed Goku the basics of uh... "god-ing" Goku would end up transporting himself to the scene of any crime on the planet no matter how petty. Thing could even go a more humorous route, with Goku making worse situations out of things. Just the image of Goku showing up in a third world country while in the middle of eating a whole fish is hilarious in a twisted sort of way.

... but yeah, I think I'm starting to deviate from the topic. Goku as god: awesome if only for a short arc before the Saiyans arrived (actually, now that I mention, it, that'd be pretty cool to see Raditz show up at the lookout rather than Kame House...).
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:00 pm

DaemonCorps wrote:I feel like the whole concept of Goku being god would have been an interesting idea to play with, if only for a short while (completely agree that he'd get bored of it fast, though). Honestly, interactions between Goku, and Kami are few and far between, which is a shame since I feel like such a thing would be fun to see play out (again, if only for a short while). Seeing Kami show Goku the ropes while Chi-Chi just chills in the back and helps Mr. Popo water the plants and chase butterflies would be interesting to witness, at the least.

And while I'm sure Toriyama wouldn't be interested in expanding the whole "how the universe and who rules over what" *too* much (we do get some of it with the Kaioshin and the Afterlife Tournament stuff) I could see that working into the storyline of Goku as god, too.

At the least, I could imagine after Kami's showed Goku the basics of uh... "god-ing" Goku would end up transporting himself to the scene of any crime on the planet no matter how petty. Thing could even go a more humorous route, with Goku making worse situations out of things. Just the image of Goku showing up in a third world country while in the middle of eating a whole fish is hilarious in a twisted sort of way.

... but yeah, I think I'm starting to deviate from the topic. Goku as god: awesome if only for a short arc before the Saiyans arrived (actually, now that I mention, it, that'd be pretty cool to see Raditz show up at the lookout rather than Kame House...).
Really creative take - I'd totally read that arc. :D

astrallite
Beyond Newbie

Post by astrallite » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:41 pm

Considering the "gods" of the Dragonball cosmology have some pretty piddly abilities, I don't see it as being very appealing for any saiyan.

Goten Forever
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Goten Forever » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:49 pm

MasterVampire wrote:Goku pretty much is already God like.

He can go anywhere via Instant Transmission, even to the afterlife and he is the second strongest in the universe apart from Gohan.
Wrong.
Gohan is pretty amazing and strong when he's in his ultimate transformation, but he doesn't compare to SSJ3 Goku or Gotenks.
Difference is, Gohan has strongest core being (his 'ultimate' form is his permanent one in the end, excluding the plothole in GT.)
SON GOTEN FTW
except GT Goten
Especially after he went out with Paresu-chan

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:55 pm

Goten Forever wrote:Gohan is pretty amazing and strong when he's in his ultimate transformation, but he doesn't compare to SSJ3 Goku or Gotenks.
Then why do Goten, Trunks, and the guide books all say he was stronger than Gotenks?
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:01 pm

It's made pretty clear that Gohan is the strongest at the end of the series, excluding Gotenks/Gohan-absorbed Super Buu and Vegetto.

Could Goku beat Gohan, though? Probably, but not because he's stronger, only due to being the better fighter. And even then, if he relied too much on SSJ3, he'd lose all his energy too quickly.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:32 pm

djkalteraphine wrote:Could Goku beat Gohan, though? Probably, but not because he's stronger, only due to being the better fighter.
Being the "better fighter" doesn't mean shit if you're so much stronger than the other guy that was afraid to fight the martial art-less Majin you easily spanked.

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:51 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
djkalteraphine wrote:Could Goku beat Gohan, though? Probably, but not because he's stronger, only due to being the better fighter.
Being the "better fighter" doesn't mean shit if you're so much stronger than the other guy that was afraid to fight the martial art-less Majin you easily spanked.
I'm not exactly sure what your sentence meas.