DragonBall Z Kai - Cable TV Version (NickToons)

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Re: DragonBall Z Kai - Cable TV Version (NickToons)

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:07 am

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Mr. Satan: "Boom! Winning!" :lol: Oh, Funimation, there's no way that's a coincidence.
WHAT?! I am severely disappointed in FUNimation now. There is no excuse for that.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:05 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Mr. Satan: "Boom! Winning!" :lol: Oh, Funimation, there's no way that's a coincidence.
WHAT?! I am severely disappointed in FUNimation now. There is no excuse for that.
Am I the only one who thought that a lot of the episode sounded like the lines came from the old dub? Yamcha especially threw me off.

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:14 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:
Really? I don't know, I suppose I just wouldn't care if the line isn't intrusive. I'm sure that anyone who doesn't even know the reference wouldn't care and those who do will just find it humorous.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ahiru77 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:15 pm

Ani-Nation7 wrote:Nicktoons commercial quite a few people were asking me for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMj6IMLZ6fo

They've also made ads like these for their other action shows (Voltron, Iron Man, and Avatar)
Thanks.

Wow, it's incredible. They really cared. :cry:

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:45 pm

I haven't seen it yet myself, but the Charlie Sheen reference makes me smirk. I mean, c'mon - it's like Kaiser said, it's not really intrusive. Did it have to be there? No. But I doubt (and I could be wrong, but I highly doubt) that it ruins what was said there in the Japanese.

As for the Nicktoons 'farewell' ad, I liked it though it was a little random up until the end. That 'Farewell' from Freeza was definitely a nice tug on the heartstrings though.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

thedarkuniter
Beyond Newbie

Post by thedarkuniter » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:02 pm

I really enjoyed episode 97. I know most of you guys are disappointed that Kai removed the Majin Boo saga, but damn, the ending for Kai at the Cell saga felt much more sad and is overall better than the ending for the Majin Boo saga. In the Majin Boo saga, Goku left off with some random dude, saying he wants to train with him without a care in the world about his friends and family whereas the ending for the Cell saga, at least Goku has a noble reason of leaving so that he could protect the Earth. That's me, though. :)
Last edited by thedarkuniter on Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TP2O

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:20 pm

thedarkuniter wrote:I really enjoyed episode 97. I know most of you guys are disappointed that Kai removed the Majin Boo, but damn, the ending for Kai at the Cell saga felt much more sad and is overall better than the ending for the Majin Boo saga. In the Majin Boo saga, Goku left off with some random dude, saying he wants to train with him without a care in the world about his friends and family whereas the ending for the Cell saga, at least Goku has a noble reason of leaving so that he could protect the Earth. That's me, though. :)
I'd say that the Majin Boo saga ending, while not as sad, was much more in-character for Goku.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:21 pm

Goku isn't about being noble. He's about training to get stronger. His flying off with Uub is absolutely in character for the irresponsible brain-damaged Saiyan.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

thedarkuniter
Beyond Newbie

Post by thedarkuniter » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:53 pm

Yeah, but still, the ending for the Majin Boo saga doesn't end in such a high note as the one for the Cell saga , in my opinion. Sure, it might be out-of-character that it ends with Goku saving the planet, but still, it ends with a high note by allowing characters to reflect on Goku as a person and to me, it works, emotional-wise, as an ending more. The Cell saga and the GT endings are way better than the Majin Boo saga, not that I have anything against the saga, it's my favorite saga.
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TP2O

The Iron Fjord
Beyond Newbie

Post by The Iron Fjord » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:14 am

Welp, now that English Kai is over and done with, I can now distance myself from the Dragon Ball franchise, for at least a few years. I'll still watch DBZ:A, though.
The Iron Fjord will kick you in the nuts!

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:27 am

I fail to see the big deal about Mr. Satan saying winning. It seems to be a case of people just getting unnecessarily up in arms at the presence of any form of a reference to real world stuff, regardless of all subtle and how unintrusive it is. I'm sure the Japanese version has a few pop culture nods that we aren't aware of, either. It's not a big deal, at all.

So Mr. Satan said "WINNING!" Who cares? It's not like Cell said it immediately after killing Trunks.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:04 am

Well, Cell DOES have Adonis DNA. Among others.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:05 am

jjgp1112 wrote:So Mr. Satan said "WINNING!" Who cares? It's not like Cell said it immediately after killing Trunks.
That made me laugh, if only because I just pictured Dameon Clarke's Cell saying that it in my head. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And yeah, they probably shouldn't have included that, but like others said, it didn't bother me that much.
penguintruth wrote:His flying off with Uub is absolutely in character for the irresponsible brain-damaged Saiyan.
It's certainly in-character for him to do that, that's not the problem. The problem (and I use the term loosely) is that it wasn't as emotionally satisfying as the ending of the Cell Saga (and by extension, the ending of Kai). It just doesn't tug at your heartstrings the way the ending of the Cell Saga does...and that's just the content. Besides the content, the story structure itself felt significantly weaker. With the Cell Saga, we felt a very definite sense of rising action, climax, and denouement. The pacing with the ending of the Buu Saga, on the other hand, feels so abrupt that one can't help but wonder if the thought process behind it was rushed and uninspired.

Of course, this is all opinion, so take it for what it's worth. I personally don't mind that Kai never got to the Buu Saga, though. The Cell Saga makes for a much more satisfying ending, both as far as emotion and as far as story structure.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:55 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote: It's certainly in-character for him to do that, that's not the problem. The problem (and I use the term loosely) is that it wasn't as emotionally satisfying as the ending of the Cell Saga (and by extension, the ending of Kai). It just doesn't tug at your heartstrings the way the ending of the Cell Saga does...and that's just the content.
I guess. I think it's a matter of, are you more sad that Goku's gone (yet bound to have plenty of adventures in the afterlife) and life will go on, or happy that Goku has found excitement in the future and life will still go on? I'm not entirely decided.
TheBlackPaladin wrote: Besides the content, the story structure itself felt significantly weaker. With the Cell Saga, we felt a very definite sense of rising action, climax, and denouement. The pacing with the ending of the Buu Saga, on the other hand, feels so abrupt that one can't help but wonder if the thought process behind it was rushed and uninspired.
I don't know. For me, the Cell Arc seemed to be taking itself too seriously, and because of this, had a lot of important plot points that didn't seem to make sense. Cell being genetically able to use techniques, somehow instantly learning how to teleport, somehow coming back in his perfect form, etc. I'm not denying that there are a lot of things in the Buu arc that don't make sense, but a lot are jokes, and a lot are based on the fact that Buu is a magical being that logic doesn't apply to. Cell, on the other hand, is a scientific creation, so logic is much more important.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:07 am

I would like a Freeza saga ending the best :S
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:23 am

funrush wrote:Am I the only one who thought that a lot of the episode sounded like the lines came from the old dub? Yamcha especially threw me off.
I can say for sure that a good chunk of the inner monologues done while each of the guys were firing a blast at Cell during the beam struggle scene were almost verbatim what they were in the original dub, which makes me wonder if the dub from back then was an accurate translation, or if FUNi was banking on tugging at old dub-fans' hearstrings by keeping most of those lines intact... not that they had to-- I already had goosebumps earlier back at Gohan's "Don't leave us!" line.

Kinda a weird move not to air the final episode (or is it "episodes?" I'm already confused), but I'm fine with it. I mean, we've got the final fight's conclusion so all that was really left were looe-end-tying for the most part, which I feel has always been treated as more of a secondary thought for most shows anyway (at least in the US).
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

funrush

Post by funrush » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:40 pm

penguintruth wrote:Well, Cell DOES have Adonis DNA. Among others.
Charlie Sheen + Cell = Best Crossover in the History of Crossovers.

SRB2Unleashed
Regular

Post by SRB2Unleashed » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:55 pm

The 98 Episode Preview aired on TV today. WUT DOES THIS MEAN?
GT isn't bad, just sucks ass in comparison to the other 2 animes.

Subscribe to me on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ImmaKrillinYT

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:02 pm

SRB2Unleashed wrote:The 98 Episode Preview aired on TV today. WUT DOES THIS MEAN?
Heh, I guess I was right. They're really going to air it after all.

I mean, what the hell would be the point of releasing a censored DBZ Kai NEP #98 if they weren't going to air?

Censored = "MR. HERCULE" (can be seen on the background when Mr. Satan's breaking those bricks)
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

SRB2Unleashed
Regular

Post by SRB2Unleashed » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:52 pm

GT isn't bad, just sucks ass in comparison to the other 2 animes.

Subscribe to me on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ImmaKrillinYT