Majin Piccolo?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xagani
Not-So-Newbie

Majin Piccolo?

Post by Xagani » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:25 pm

I read this that other day on a "Why does Toriyama hate Vegeta?" forum. I'm just wondering if this is true and stated in any guides or interviews that it happened:

"Piccolo was originally the one planned to fall under Babidi's Majin spell in the Buu saga, giving him another great battle with his rival, Goku. However, Toriyama's editor stepped in and said Vegeta should be the one to fall under the spell, as the fans were crying out for a Goku Vs. Vegeta rematch. Piccolo got shunned once again for Vegeta almost against Toriyama's will."

I doubt it's true since after all these years being a fan and reading Toriyama interviews I have never come across this statement, unless I missed something...
"If I tried to re-create the original voice I think I would run the risk of hitting a note so high that I may not be able to have children in future life." - Peter Kelamis

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Majin Piccolo?

Post by Sin » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:34 pm

I think it might be from an interview in Daizenshuu 2 in which Toriyama notes Vegeta to be one of his least favourite characters but that he is useful to have around.

Interesting quick read: http://www.daizex.com/general/ask/archi ... 15.shtml#1

Xagani
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Xagani » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:47 pm

Sin wrote:I think it might be from an interview in Daizenshuu 2 in which Toriyama notes Vegeta to be one of his least favourite characters but that he is useful to have around.

Interesting quick read: http://www.daizex.com/general/ask/archi ... 15.shtml#1
Yes, but this doesn't state whether Toriyama originally planned for Piccolo to be Majin instead of Vegeta and the fact that his editor stepped in and made Toriyama change it to Vegeta.
"If I tried to re-create the original voice I think I would run the risk of hitting a note so high that I may not be able to have children in future life." - Peter Kelamis

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:00 pm

It is nothing more than a rumor. I do think it is kinda funny though since some grand rematch of Goku vs. Vegeta doesn't happen in the first place and the whole event is more for Vegeta's character development.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:02 pm

It's nonsense that was added to "Dragon Ball Wikia" and spread from there. Absolutely no basis in reality.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Xagani
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Xagani » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:11 pm

VegettoEX wrote:It's nonsense that was added to "Dragon Ball Wikia" and spread from there. Absolutely no basis in reality.
I thought so, but still I wasn't entirely sure. Thanks for clearing that up. :D

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:04 pm

People believe in the whole Majin Piccolo rumor since the scene with Vegeta blowing up half of the stage at the Tenkachi Budokai seems like something that Piccolo could have done. I do find it funny how someone editing the DB wiki could cause a major that a lot of people end up believing.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Storm101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Storm101 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:28 pm

Majin Piccolo vs. Gohan would've been better than Piccolo vs. Goku, I think. But by the way the Majin charm works now, it doesn't make much sense for it to work on Piccolo. It would have to be changed.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:47 pm

Piccolo could have broken out of the control given how he fused with both Kami and Nail. If he was Majin instead of Vegeta then the whole Buu saga would have been different.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:39 pm

Supersonic Warriors 2 presents this whole concept as a 'What If?' story line, pretty interesting really. That's probably where the rumour originated or at least gained some credibility.

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:02 pm

I thought Piccolo was immune to these types of charms.
I would've liked to see Piccolo vs Gohan, maybe we'll see it in the movie.
When Piccolo blew himself up in GT, I thought it was so out of character and the series lost credence in my eyes.
My favorite character is Vegeta, it's pretty sad to see Toriyama say he's indifferent to him. :/
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:07 pm

Gokuden wrote:When Piccolo blew himself up in GT, I thought it was so out of character and the series lost credence in my eyes.
What's wrong with Piccolo? He sacrificed himself to protect Earth, his own planet. The planet he fought for so many times, and a part of him was also the God of that planet.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:09 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Gokuden wrote:When Piccolo blew himself up in GT, I thought it was so out of character and the series lost credence in my eyes.
What's wrong with Piccolo? He sacrificed himself to protect Earth, his own planet. The planet he fought for so many times, and a part of him was also the God of that planet.
Yeah it doesn't surprise me much, he sacrificed himself for Gohan pretty early on.

Storm101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Storm101 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:12 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Piccolo could have broken out of the control given how he fused with both Kami and Nail. If he was Majin instead of Vegeta then the whole Buu saga would have been different.
I just don't see Piccolo acting under evil whims, which is what a Goku vs. Majin Piccolo fight assumes. Unless he's fully under Babidi's control, but I don't see that happening (then again, Dabura was the king of the Demon World, so who knows).

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:18 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
He could have left the planet before it exploded, he chose to remain there during the explosion. I didn't want to see him die this way.
He basically commited suicide. There's nothing wrong with Piccolo, but the way his character was handled didn't impress me.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:22 pm

He committed suicide for a reason. With his death, he sealed the Ultimate Dragon Balls. He basically died as a hero.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:36 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:He committed suicide for a reason. With his death, he sealed the Ultimate Dragon Balls. He basically died as a hero.
People could have used those black star Dragon Balls for deeds other than evil, kept them on the earth, and made sure to hide them from troublemakers.
Why didn't Piccolo kill himself before all of this? He waited until GT where there seemed to spontaneously be evidence of Black Star Balls.
Why didn't Piccolo protect the Balls himself or tell Dende about them? Poorly written guardian of the earth.

GT was poorly written.

/Truth
This man is my hero:

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:50 pm

Up until Pilaf's discovery, the Ultimate Dragon Balls were hidden in God's Temple. When Katatz's son split into Kami & Piccolo Daimao, the Ultimate Dragon Balls were sealed and remained as stones. That was until hundred of years later, when Piccolo & Kami merged and became one again, the Ultimate Dragon Balls were activated again. For the remaining 22 years until the beginning of GT, the Ultimate Dragon Balls were hidden well and never caused any problem, until Pilaf found out about them. Pilaf used them, Dr. Myuu tried to obtain them, and then Baby used them. If Piccolo stayed alive after Earth's explosion, then the Earth would probably explode immediately after its revival, since even though Goku & co. brought back the Dragon Balls to Earth, when Baby used them on Earth again, instead of resetting the remaining time of Earth's back to one year, the "clock" continued from its previous remaining time. So, there really wasn't any other solution, other than Piccolo's death.

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:55 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Up until Pilaf's discovery, the Ultimate Dragon Balls were hidden in God's Temple. When Katatz's son split into Kami & Piccolo Daimao, the Ultimate Dragon Balls were sealed and remained as stones. That was until hundred of years later, when Piccolo & Kami merged and became one again, the Ultimate Dragon Balls were activated again. For the remaining 22 years until the beginning of GT, the Ultimate Dragon Balls were hidden well and never caused any problem, until Pilaf found out about them. Pilaf used them, Dr. Myuu tried to obtain them, and then Baby used them. If Piccolo stayed alive after Earth's explosion, then the Earth would probably explode immediately after its revival, since even though Goku & co. brought back the Dragon Balls to Earth, when Baby used them on Earth again, instead of resetting the remaining time of Earth's back to one year, the "clock" continued from its previous remaining time. So, there really wasn't any other solution, other than Piccolo's death.
You could reverse the effects of the exploding Earth and reset the barometer of evil toxicity to 0 or permanently reverse the effects with the original Dragon Balls. So they literally just killed off Piccolo. They were wishing back the Earth and its people anyway, might as well permanently stop the effects of the Black Dragon Balls.

[quote=''DBZWIKI'']If all seven balls have not been re-collected and returned to the planet on which the wish was granted in one year, the planet will explode (this, however, can be permanently reversed using a set of regular Dragon Balls).[/quote]
This man is my hero:

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:58 pm

It shouldn't be possible to undo the "curse" the Ultimate Dragon Balls left to Earth through the Dragon Balls from Earth or Namek. It would be beyond their power.