Ichiro Nagai passes away

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Ichiro Nagai passes away

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:06 pm

Here are some tributes from his colleagues.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interes ... hiro-nagai
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:00 pm

That's awful. : ( My condolences to his family and friends.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:16 pm

RIP to a great voice actor. Baseball Mask will live on forever.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:18 pm

A sad day indeed, Sayonara Nagai-san you will be missed by many, my thoughts and prayers go out to Nagai's family and friends in this time of mourning.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:51 pm

And thus another one hits the bucket
R.I.P.
Goku wrote:You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!
DBZ ended after the Frieza Saga.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:53 pm

Its always sad when an eminence leaves us.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:59 pm

Well, that's just sad. R.I.P. :cry:
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:00 pm

kei17 wrote:
Flame Dragon wrote:I don't remember if Karin appears on the Buu Saga, if he does, who will dub Karin on Kai Buu Saga?
Karin appears and speaks when Goku brings senzu for Videl. I guess he's already recorded his lines.
Doesn't Karin also appear once when Goku, Kuririn, and Piccolo are all talking up in the Heavenly Realm while Goten and Trunks are sleeping? I remember him having at least one line. Hopefully Nagai got to play the character one last time for those scenes.

Was Nagai always the voice for Karin? I thought another voice actor took over the role for a period of time.

Either way, this is horrible. Those tributes posted earllier at the top of this page were heartbreaking. Rest in peace.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:17 pm

MagicBox wrote:Doesn't Karin also appear once when Goku, Kuririn, and Piccolo are all talking up in the Heavenly Realm while Goten and Trunks are sleeping? I remember him having at least one line.
That scene isn't in the original manga, so it's likely to be cut.
Was Nagai always the voice for Karin? I thought another voice actor took over the role for a period of time.
Yes, Naoki Tatsuta took over the role in the Buu arc probably because of the budget, but Nagai reprised the role in Kai. Also, for the sake of consintency, Toei no more recast any backseat rolls halfway today. For example, the Grand Elder was recast after his resurrection in Z, but in Kai, he was voiced by the original actor throughout his appearance.

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:43 pm

Rest in peace to such a fantastic voice actor. I am currently in the midst of going through the original Dragon Ball anime with my wife so when we come to his characters I'll be sure to gain as much appreciation as I can from his performances!
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.