Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:25 pm

Abed wrote:I was responding to this. I know he was a minor character, wasn't the point I was making. Obviously if he did win, the story would require changes, like how Tenshinhan won.
How did the story require change when Tien won?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:29 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
Abed wrote:I was responding to this. I know he was a minor character, wasn't the point I was making. Obviously if he did win, the story would require changes, like how Tenshinhan won.
How did the story require change when Tenshinhan won?
Sorry for the confusion, I meant, Tenshinhan was made a major character, like Nam would have to be for at least that arc, but my point still stands, having the guy(s) who has the sob story or emotional turmoil win is a device that's used a lot.

Toriyama made the right call. Nam got what he wanted, Roshi taught his pupil a valuable lesson, and we got some kick ass fights.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:42 pm

ABED wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:
How did the story require change when Tenshinhan won?
Sorry for the confusion, I meant, Tenshinhan was made a major character, like Nam would have to be for at least that arc, but my point still stands, having the guy(s) who has the sob story or emotional turmoil win is a device that's used a lot.

Toriyama made the right call. Nam got what he wanted, Roshi taught his pupil a valuable lesson, and we got some kick ass fights.
No one is saying Toriyama made the wrong call. All I was stating was that I was rooting for Nam. Tien was already suppose to be a major character in the first place. It was easily set-up for Tien to turn good. Besides just because it's a basic plot device doesn't mean it would't been a feel-good moment. I mean Goku turning SSJ and Goku revenge on King Piccolo was both basic plot devices but had feel good moments

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:49 pm

Point taken.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:41 am

Baba is a great character, it seems most fans tend to overlook her when discussing female characters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

MediaFanGirl93
Beyond Newbie

Post by MediaFanGirl93 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:21 pm

My unpopular opinion is that I dislike the Saiyan and Frieza Sagas (they aren't as bad as DBGT though), but I love the Cell and Buu Saga.
Kid Buu wrote:Baba is a great character, it seems most fans tend to overlook her when discussing female characters.
Maybe it's because she doesn't get enough screentime.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:40 pm

MediaFanGirl93 wrote:My unpopular opinion is that I dislike the Saiyan and Freeza Sagas (they aren't as bad as DBGT though), but I love the Cell and Buu Saga.

Maybe it's because she doesn't get enough screentime.
I enjoy the Saiyan arc quite a bit (outside a few nit pickets), and I love the Freeza arc until Goku arrives on Namek. Goku's role here is the same as his role in the Saiyan arc, and it just makes things look tedious. Freeza's also my least favorite big bad in the series.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

GravediggerNALK

Post by GravediggerNALK » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:12 pm

1. I liked the Garlic Jr. arc
2. I hate the redone scenes in Kai; I think they look disgusting
3. I prefer Ian James Corlett's Goku over Peter Kelamis' Goku
4. Even though I enjoyed Dragon Ball (probably more than Z) with the original score, I'd like to hear it with a score similar to that of the FUNi/Ocean/Shuki Levy-dub of Z; I think that darkness present in that score would work in DB
5. I cannot possibly see Krillin being stronger than Tien Shinhan. Ever. I can't even say I can see Krillin being as strong as Yamcha until the Android saga.
6. I think that Chi Chi should have gone with the others to train with Kami at the beginning of Z
7. The World Tournament(s) at the end of Z were stupid and completely pointless (in my opinion). Those are free, guaranteed material because of the matches; the whole thing with Babidi could've waited until further into the tournament. If the tournament needed to add more people so the series could have more matches before people started flying off, just say that the tournament expanded the number of participants because of how popular Mr. Satan is or something.
8. I prefer the Dragon Ball tournament stage over the larger, more open Dragon Ball Z tournament stage. DB tournaments felt liked legitimate competitions of the world's strongest competitors. DBZ tournaments felt like performances at the fair.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:31 pm

GravediggerNALK wrote: 5. I cannot possibly see Krillin being stronger than Tenshinhan Shinhan. Ever. I can't even say I can see Krillin being as strong as Yamcha until the Android saga.
I have to say when I first went through DB, I used to think Yamcha was stronger than Kuririn because Toriyama gave Yamcha the tougher opponents in the RRA arc and 22nd Budokai. Although Toriyama gave Kuririn a higher power-level in the Raditz arc, so there's that.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:21 pm

GravediggerNALK wrote:1. I liked the Garlic Jr. arc
2. I hate the redone scenes in Kai; I think they look disgusting
3. I prefer Ian James Corlett's Goku over Peter Kelamis' Goku
4. Even though I enjoyed Dragon Ball (probably more than Z) with the original score, I'd like to hear it with a score similar to that of the FUNi/Ocean/Shuki Levy-dub of Z; I think that darkness present in that score would work in DB
5. I cannot possibly see Krillin being stronger than Tenshinhan Shinhan. Ever. I can't even say I can see Krillin being as strong as Yamcha until the Android saga.
6. I think that Chi Chi should have gone with the others to train with Kami at the beginning of Z
7. The World Tournament(s) at the end of Z were stupid and completely pointless (in my opinion). Those are free, guaranteed material because of the matches; the whole thing with Babidi could've waited until further into the tournament. If the tournament needed to add more people so the series could have more matches before people started flying off, just say that the tournament expanded the number of participants because of how popular Mr. Satan is or something.
8. I prefer the Dragon Ball tournament stage over the larger, more open Dragon Ball Z tournament stage. DB tournaments felt liked legitimate competitions of the world's strongest competitors. DBZ tournaments felt like performances at the fair.
1. I do too.
2. I don't hate them, don't love them either.
3. Me too.
8. Not an unpopular opinion, I and many others agree.

baneofdemon22
Beyond Newbie

Post by baneofdemon22 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:46 pm

I think Dragon Ball Z one of the greatest shows of all time, despite it's flaws. I put it up there with The Simpsons, the Twilight Zone, and Breaking Bad for best TV series. A lot of people keep saying it isn't great, but it's their favorite show, but a lot of the examples of what I've seen people consider great, don't come near the quality of Dragon Ball.

I also think Goku is a good father.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:50 pm

baneofdemon22 wrote:I think Dragon Ball Z one of the greatest shows of all time, despite it's flaws. I put it up there with The Simpsons, the Twilight Zone, and Breaking Bad for best TV series. A lot of people keep saying it isn't great, but it's their favorite show, but a lot of the examples of what I've seen people consider great, don't come near the quality of Dragon Ball.

Dbz being one of the GOAT shows is unpopular?

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:02 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
baneofdemon22 wrote:I think Dragon Ball Z one of the greatest shows of all time, despite it's flaws. I put it up there with The Simpsons, the Twilight Zone, and Breaking Bad for best TV series. A lot of people keep saying it isn't great, but it's their favorite show, but a lot of the examples of what I've seen people consider great, don't come near the quality of Dragon Ball.

People either like it while acknowledging that it's pretty bad, or they don't like it. So yeah, it's unpopular.
Khalid Shahin wrote:
Dragon Soul Funimation Lyrics wrote:Nothing ever dies; we will rise again!
Yeah, pretty much sums the show up right there.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:06 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:

People either like it while acknowledging that it's pretty bad, or they don't like it. So yeah, it's unpopular.
For the millionth time every show got haters. Just because some hate dbZ doesn't mean its awful. Every show got flaws. We can't ignore them. Those options aren't the only option. People dont say they like yet they know it's bad. You're the first I've seen fo that. They like it and admit their flaws. Every show got flaws. You can't tell me a perfect show.

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:10 pm

TheGmGoken wrote: For the millionth time every show got haters. Just because some hate dbZ doesn't mean its awful. Every show got flaws. We can't ignore them. Those options aren't the only option. People dont say they like yet they know it's bad. You're the first I've seen fo that. They like it and admit their flaws. Every show got flaws. You can't tell me a perfect show.
It's not that. I have literally seen people across the internet saying stuff like "Yeah, DBZ is pretty bad, but I still like because I grew up with it".
Khalid Shahin wrote:
Dragon Soul Funimation Lyrics wrote:Nothing ever dies; we will rise again!
Yeah, pretty much sums the show up right there.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:17 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote: For the millionth time every show got haters. Just because some hate dbZ doesn't mean its awful. Every show got flaws. We can't ignore them. Those options aren't the only option. People dont say they like yet they know it's bad. You're the first I've seen fo that. They like it and admit their flaws. Every show got flaws. You can't tell me a perfect show.
It's not that. I have literally seen people across the internet saying stuff like "Yeah, DBZ is pretty bad, but I still like because I grew up with it".
Sigh. Of course some will only like it for Nostalgia. But the majority like it despite flaws or mame fun of it. Honestly wish you would stop saying everyone hate Dbz or Dbz is the laughing stock. Seriously...you're not the only one who sees Dbz hate. Every show have them. Many say Dbz is the GOAT.
You act if everyone who likes fiction hate Dbz.
Last edited by TheGmGoken on Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:18 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:
That's just everyone trying to act mature in front of their internet pals. xP
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

orbweaver

Post by orbweaver » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:06 am

Unpopular opinion:

My unpopular opinions are mostly about character development points.

Yamcha going from a totally shy guy to a Don Juan *would* be totally in character if it had happened, just because I've known people like that in real life. Guys who absolutely can't function around women. Then they get a girlfriend, get a bit more confidence, relax a little, and women start expressing an interest for the first time in the guy's life.

Tarble is completely plausible. It's not like Planet Vegeta was destroyed on the same day that Vegeta left it. If Tarble had been born after Vegeta left, then sent away, it makes sense that Vegeta wouldn't know he had a brother (at least for a long time). And even if he were older than Vegeta, he still lived a life of peace and is not as battle scarred or hardened and may look more youthful. I don't know how much sense it makes in terms of canon but it makes sense in terms of common sense.

baneofdemon22
Beyond Newbie

Post by baneofdemon22 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:46 am

TheAldella wrote:
thatdbzguy wrote:
That's just everyone trying to act mature in front of their internet pals. xP
I'm starting to realize that now! It's ironic with the people I talked to, before joining Kanzenshuu,that the things that they point out what's bad, is what they love. It's criticized for just being about mindless fighting, but if I bring up scenes that show more depth, they're considered boring. One of my favorite scenes is when Smitty takes advantage of Boo's rampage and kills an innocent old couple. No one remembered that scene, except for Boo looked stupid, Gohan was garbage because he's a nerd, the Boo arc shouldn't have existed, and SSJ3 Goku, Majin Vegeta, Vegito, and Gotenks were awesome.

There's been a lot of people here who have been writing what they thought were unpopular opinions, and it turns out lots of people agree with them. Until coming to this board, I would have thought I was the only one that thought the Boo arc was great and the best arc. Turns out there's others that feel that way too! But it was unpopular from what I knew. On boards I've had discussions with said that the show is awful compared to more modern animes, like Death Note and Full Metal Alchemist, so how would I know? I think it's far better than all the popular anime I've seen. I've gone through various top 10 lists in various genres. I don't even like any anime other than Dragonball and I tried, even with the "give it 20 episodes rule" with the most popular anime. I didn't know how popular Dragonball was and I didn't know that it was so well regarded, being that I was talking to huge fans that were still bashing it's quality. In the real world, Pokemon and of Yugioh are the ones I've heard of the most and I don't think those shows are good. I'm not talking about pointing out flaws, just straight up calling it bad. They were also all dub fans that put down anything that wasn't the old Funimation or Ocean dub, so maybe you can see where I came from?

My favorite movie of all time of all time is Fight Club. I rented it because it looked good. I asked people I knew what they thought about it, and they thought it had a bunch of plot holes or was too inappropriate, or just didn't like it. As far as I knew, I had a very unpopular opinion of thinking it was great. Why would I pay attention to reviews or box office numbers? I don't live online or look to see what people online have to say for everything. And if I went by that, I'd be extremely paranoid of thinking everyone are rapists, murderers, and perverts.

Landcross

Post by Landcross » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:27 am

I think that Goku the Super Saiya-Jin/Lord Slug is one of the best DBZ movies. I think that the first four movies are the strongest, and I remember Lord Slug getting a fair amount of dislike.