Why the Broly hate?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Re: Why the Broly hate?

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:41 pm

You cant always blame the fans though, sense the game developers always seem to add fuel to the fire.

Budokai 3's intro. Fights Gogeta and even makes him bleed.

Tenkaichi 3' intro. a Rematch that seems to be more even.

In the Tenkaichi games, Broly would only fully flench when he went up against an SSJ3 or 4 tier character.

In Ultimate Butoden Broly has one of the few finishing moves that completely destroy the planet and all he does is power up and stomp, I kid you not.

As over powered as he seemed to be already they go and give him SSJ3 of all things in Dragon Battlers and Raging Blast.

Shit they promote Raging Blast 1 as if it was gonna have some crazy Broly centric storyline.

In one of the Heroes promotional trailers they have Broly making quick work of not only the Avatar Protagonists but Cell and Freeza or Cell and Boo as well.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Landcross

Post by Landcross » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:44 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:I watched Broli's film (#8) yesterday and seriously that was one of the worst things of Dragon Ball that I could've possibly seen, he's not only annoying, but repetitive and unbearable to watch which almost made me want to turn this off before the film came to an end though since I've never seen all of them from start to finish (I sometimes would stop halfway) I decided to put up with that lame bs.

Never again will I watch Broli's 8th film, but there's still other two Broli films that I'll "need" to watch. *sigh* I hate doing this to myself.
Color me completely surprised, but you'd never seen it/them before? Are there other DBZ movies you haven't seen?

I remember when Broly was super popular in America before his movies had been released here. It was always "Wait until they get up to Movie 8, Broly, Broly, Broly." I watched a fansub in 2001 or 2002. Enjoyed it somewhat, but it didn't have quite the magic I was expecting. I bought a VCD of the Bio Broly movie in Chinatown around the same time. Watched it in Cantonese. Japanese or English did not manage to save it later, for me. Movie 10 I like well enough, for Gohan.

crisis
Not-So-Newbie

Post by crisis » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:52 pm

All we need to know now is WHO WAS BROLY'S MOM

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:59 pm

crisis wrote:All we need to know now is WHO WAS BROLY'S MOM
Plot twist. Broly mom is Gine. Broly and Goku are twins

superhuman3

Post by superhuman3 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:53 pm

I actually like Broly. Or his movies. Yes, the most of his fights were very one-sided, but I think he was an interesting character- well, he had/has the potential to be one. If his motivation weren't so stupid I think, it would've turned out much better. And yes, he's not as powerful as some people make him out to be. I accepted the Second Coming only because Gohan was somewhat out of practice and Broly's zenkai. I think if he had been more dynamic a character people would accept him more.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:54 pm

1. Making him the true Legendary Super Saiyan. No. We didn't need that to be resolved. The legend works better when it's murky.

2. His backstory. He goes insane because Goku cries. That's fine if he's a joke villain or in a less dark, serious movie, but this was played perfectly straight. Broly literally goes insane because baby Kakarot CRIED IN THE NURSERY and it disturbed him to the point of losing his freaking mind forever and ever.

3. No personality. Just a mountain of muscles that grunts and screams. A waste of VA talents. Even Vic Mignogna's.

4. The movies he's in are uniformly terrible. Movie 8 is just him bulldozing everybody until the very end. There's no technique at all. And Vegeta is ridiculously out of character. Movie 10 and 11 are just... abominable. SSJ2 Gohan should have been able to obliterate him with a single punch as if he were a Cell Junior.

5. HIS POWER LEVEL IS MAXIMUM. This stupid bullshit about him powering up so dramatically from each battle that he's automatically STRONGEST THERE IS. No. He should have been a one time villain and completely destroyed.

6. Broly fans.

7. The entire HARDCORE EXTREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEME fantasy that Broly represents. Mostly due to 6 on this list. And how Funimation played it up with the rock band music in their release of Movie 8.

8. Just look at him. Just f***ing look at him. He looks like Rob Liefeld's wet dream.
Last edited by penguintruth on Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:57 pm

I suspect most (maybe even the vast majority) of the Broly hate is actualy idiotic-Broly-fanboy hate. Either people are neutral toward Broly/like Broly/dislike Broly somewhat but hate the rabid Broly fans, or they only hate Broly because of the rabid Broly fans ruining it for everyone else with their "he can beat anyone ever because LEGENDARY SUPER SAIYAN!!!!" nonsense. I don't mind when some alternate-universe super-Broly is portrayed as being ridiculously strong, but people seriously thinking that ordinary movie 8/movie 10 Broly will suddenly be beating up on Super Saiyan 3s, fusions, and Buus without any real power boost (not just that "my power is overflowing, gotta randomly blast something!" thing he does in the movie, I don't think that was even an actual increase in power so much as "LSSj makes you constantly build up energy for attacks whether you want to or not, and you have to use it or it'll eventually kill you") is just absurd.

I mean, there's probably a decent amount of people who just never really liked Broly or his movies that much, too. But I'm guessing most of the anti-Broly feelings are due to the worst of his fans rather than the character himself.

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:07 pm

I really actually liked a lot of his lines in both japanese and English, but wish they had gone to Toriyama for a possible back story on saiyan culture, insteadof what we got between in him and Goku, but again I do like him as the new legendary Super Saiyan, more then the stupid Bardock getting blasted into the past and becoming it. :crazy:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:22 pm

Landcross wrote: I remember when Broly was super popular in America before his movies had been released here. It was always "Wait until they get up to Movie 8, Broly, Broly, Broly." I watched a fansub in 2001 or 2002.
I watch it subbed around that same time as well and I do remember Broli having hype before Movie 8 came out. Even I first saw the movie, I felt like he was nothing special. There was one old rumor that he went SSj4 in GT during the Shadow Dragon saga which end up being BS as always.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:26 pm

I think a lot of the movies, or just story arcs in general, had a lot of hype prior to us finally getting it here. It's the effect of being unseen. I can remember a lot of hype for GT even, despite how the outlook on it was at the time.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:34 pm

penguintruth wrote:8. Just look at him. Just f***ing look at him. He looks like Rob Liefeld's wet dream.
Okay, that was hilarious.

I don't know if I hate Broli so much. But I do remember being bored out of my skull the first time I saw movie 8. It's like I'd always wondered to myself, "Why are DB movies so short? Why can't they make one that's closer to a standard feature length film?" And then this film answered my question. "Oh. Because it's boring!"

That said, I actually really enjoy movies 10 and 11. Like most DBZ movies, though, I really don't care about the villain. The villain is always the least interesting part of every DBZ movie. So movies 10 and 11 have fun and interesting setups and things for the characters to do. I couldn't give two craps over which interchangeable baddie they're beating up this time.

But if I had to give an answer, I'd say (aside from his fans), Broli, by sheer coincidence, represents everything FUNimation tried to warp Dragon Ball into back then. He epitomizes the, well, as penguintruth said, Rob Liefeld hardcore '90s characters. He is roid rage. He is monster truck rally. He is wailing guitars and professional wrestling. He's the one thing dub fans can legitimately point to and say, "See? This is what DBZ is."
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/29/24!)
Current Episode: Attack of the Member Berries - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 3

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:58 pm

Interestingly, the script for the Funimation dub of movie 8 was very accurate to the Japanese version.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:26 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKPJXLZfpZQ
Cipher wrote:I like Brolli.

He's not a particularly compelling character on his own, but he's a huge deviation for the franchise, and he's actually frightening. No charisma, no wacky design, no gimmicks. He's just a radically strong character with a depressing past who can't be reasoned with.

Movie 8 is much darker territory than the movies had ventured into before, and it's interesting. Brolli's basically the anti-Dragon Ball villain, and he's valuable for that role, despite the kind of fandom he's attracted.
Taking the words right out of my mouth. Koyama wanted something different, with his very species working against him Broly pulls it off. He looks out of place, he's a total parody of everything about the Saiyains, he's a tone killer like Dragon Ball has never had. That's reason enough for fan division- either you think the whole thing is a crock or at the very least you can respect the idea.
SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:The way Dragonball Multiverse puts him on par with SSJ2 Vegito is ridiculous. Vegito should have no trouble with Broly at all, but apparently it takes SSJ3 Vegito.
WittyUsername wrote:Interestingly, the script for the Funimation dub of movie 8 was very accurate to the Japanese version.
Didn't Chris Sabat direct that dub?
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

crisis
Not-So-Newbie

Post by crisis » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:36 am

Broly is the Final Fantasy VII of DBZ. You're either part of the cult-like fanbase that adores him, you hate him because of all the adulation he gets, you think he's cool because you think every single thing about DBZ is cool, or you just tolerate him/indifferent towards him.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:42 am

The comments that people on why they like Broli is because he's powerful or he looks cool. Does anyone like him as a character?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:48 am

Broly is the reimagined Legendary Super Saiya-jin that lived a 1000 years ago, they just made a non-canon special about him, methinks.

Had Brocoli found Earth, I doubt we would have any stories about Son Gokou. I'm pretty sure he was the one who destroyed the SAIYA original planet, and forced a new colony on Vegeta.
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:53 am

With the talk about comparing Broly to Hulk, thought I'd ask think any of Hulk's vas could've pulled him off?

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:34 am

Out of that selection, I can only imagine Lou Ferrigno or Rick D Wasserman really working in the role.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:36 am

goku the krump dancer wrote:Broly is the Call of Duty of the DBZ world. There isn't much to him, but he's likable, depending on the type of person you are. A lot of the "average" fans rage around and celebrate the character while the more "mature" fans (so to speak) either loath him because of how overrated he is or remain neutral and just don't think much of him. The Budokai 3 intro was the first Modern Warfare for Broly, and thats what sky rocketed his popularity even more. Plus he's the only evil Super Saiyan.

With that said, I like Broly a helluva lot more than many people here. I'm sort of a sucker for raging killing machines though, which is why I like Janemba and Kid Boo is my favorite incarnation of him. Ironically I hate Call of Duty and I think it should die.lol

Dont get me wrong, I love intellectual villains too or at least stories with a more advance vocabulary.. but thats not what this thread is about.

.... For the Broly haters
Do you have anything for the Broly and GT haters?
crisis wrote:It's all this kid's fault

That kid's biggest problem is the inability to tell the difference between a superhero and a supervillain.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:35 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:The comments that people on why they like Broli is because he's powerful or he looks cool. Does anyone like him as a character?
crisis wrote:Broly is the Final Fantasy VII of DBZ. You're either part of the cult-like fanbase that adores him, you hate him because of all the adulation he gets, you think he's cool because you think every single thing about DBZ is cool, or you just tolerate him/indifferent towards him.
Yeah, so, not one post above these two you had two people (myself included) stating they sort of like him for reasons far away from these.
He's a tone killer like Dragon Ball has never had.
Word. This is why I like him.