Manga Inconsistencies and Plotholes.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Manga Inconsistencies and Plotholes.

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:39 am

TheGmGoken wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:In the Saiyan arc, Vegeta states that he's the strongest in the universe. The Freeza arc retcons in a bunch of guys way stronger than him that Vegeta knows about.
Can't that be passed on as cocky-ness. Freeza said the same thing yet Freeza knew Beerus
He doesn't even say that, he thinks it to himself. Yet he knows about Cui, Dodoria, Zarbon, Recoome, Burter, Jeice, Ginyu, Freeza...

Beers isn't in the manga.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Landcross

Post by Landcross » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:13 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:In the Saiyan arc, Vegeta states that he's the strongest in the universe. The Freeza arc retcons in a bunch of guys way stronger than him that Vegeta knows about.
How about Vegeta coming out of his tiny ship with a brand spankin' new color scheme, too? :mrgreen:

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:35 am

I always saw that more as Vegeta's general cockiness...

In the Piccolo Daimao arc when Goku's second Kintoun is destroyed, why didn't he just call for a new one? I'm pretty sure in the Red Ribbon Army arc, the Elder says just one just needs to call for one and it'll come.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:39 am

DBZ Mick wrote:
I always saw that more as Vegeta's general cockiness...
But... he's thinking to himself.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:54 am

Even more so then, haha...
:P
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:00 am

Vegeta initially enters the 25th Budokai to fight Gohan, but later says his only reason was to fight Goku.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:09 am

Initially, four of the five Kaioshin were killed by Buu, but later he only killed two of them and absorbed the other two.
"I'm the best in the universe! Yes yes! I can win, I feel great, I. CAN. DO. THIS!".
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:42 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:Initially, four of the five Kaioshin were killed by Buu, but later he only killed two of them and absorbed the other two.
"I'm the best in the universe! Yes yes! I can win, I feel great, I. CAN. DO. THIS!".
By now absorbing them....should me they're dead. They disgusted by now. So he still killed him.

dbzkfan543

Post by dbzkfan543 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:15 am

TheGmGoken wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:By now absorbing them....should me they're dead. They disgusted by now. So he still killed him.
In the FUNimation dub of the anime, IIRC, it's said that absorbing someone kills them, though I think that's a dub invention. Can anyone confirm if that's said in the Japanese version?

Mystic Buu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mystic Buu » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:40 am

I don't know if this is a plothole,but still I'm going to post it.When Freeza was fighting Goku,he said that he didn't know there was someone stronger than Ginyu.
And there is Vegeta,Gohan and Piccolo who were stronger than Ginyu.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:50 pm

- Bukujutsu was considered to be one of martial arts technique, yet, by time of 25th Budokai, it was called "black magic" or "trick", how could people forget about it so quickly? I can somehow understand people forget about King Piccolo regime, because it lasted only a day, and most people probably didn`t saw him on TV.
- In early Dragon Ball, Earth was full of half human half animal hybrids, however, at later part of story, you couldn`t spot any hybrid during Budokai tournaments, except Oolong/Puar
- Tenshinhan alien heritage, as much as i respect Toriyama, this has to be dumbest idea he ever had (And i don`t mean Dr. Slump way of dumb, it`s literally stupid)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:52 pm

I really think those Vegeta and Freeza lines about "no one stronger", are just basically arrogance and maybe in some cases trying to psyche out the opponent, or even give themselves a pep talk. Like how a villain says something like "Impossible! I'm the strongest" when they are clearly not.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:15 pm

coola wrote:- Bukujutsu was considered to be one of martial arts technique, yet, by time of 25th Budokai, it was called "black magic" or "trick", how could people forget about it so quickly? I can somehow understand people forget about King Piccolo regime, because it lasted only a day, and most people probably didn`t saw him on TV.
- In early Dragon Ball, Earth was full of half human half animal hybrids, however, at later part of story, you couldn`t spot any hybrid during Budokai tournaments, except Oolong/Puar
- Tenshinhan alien heritage, as much as i respect Toriyama, this has to be dumbest idea he ever had (And i don`t mean Dr. Slump way of dumb, it`s literally stupid)
Reminds me of a thread I made talking about why Bulma would freak out over Goku's tail when the king of earth is a talking blue dog.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:07 pm

KentalSSJ6 wrote:
Reminds me of a thread I made talking about why Bulma would freak out over Goku's tail when the king of earth is a talking blue dog.
As it was probably answered in that thread, that's probably because, by DB's world standards, Goku's tail is weirder than a talking blue dog, even if by our real world standards it isn't.

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:39 pm

coola wrote: - In early Dragon Ball, Earth was full of half human half animal hybrids, however, at later part of story, you couldn`t spot any hybrid during Budokai tournaments, except Oolong/Puar
Exactly! I made a thread about that a few years ago. I agree that it is quite a bit of an inconsistency. The anime tried to fix this a little bit with having a couple of animal hybrids in some filler scenes, but it wasn't enough.

andrewtuell1991
Beyond Newbie

Post by andrewtuell1991 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:46 pm

Cell Arc: Only two people can enter ROSAT at a time.
Buu Arc: Goten, Trunks, Buu, and Piccolo all seem to fit rather nicely in there

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:55 pm

Cipher wrote:A rather minor one:

At the end of the Namek arc, the Earth Shen-Long teleports everyone from Namek to Earth, seemingly without anyone knowing what's happening (or at least they're very surprised to realize they've been zapped to Earth). Later, the gang asks Porunga to teleport Goku to Earth, and he's able to refuse, preventing Porunga from doing it. That sudden clause of, "Hey, only if they say it's okay!" doesn't really fit anything the Dragon Balls have done before, including within the same story line.
I guess that it's because he is stronger than Kami? Then again I guess some of the Namekians were too, as were Gohan and Piccolo...
RandomGuy96 wrote: In the Piccolo Daimao arc when Goku's second Kintoun is destroyed, why didn't he just call for a new one? I'm pretty sure in the Red Ribbon Army arc, the Elder says just one just needs to call for one and it'll come.
Goku's Kinto'un wasn't destroyed by that rocket the first time, Goku only thought so. That's why he was able to call it.
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:50 pm

coola wrote:- Bukujutsu was considered to be one of martial arts technique, yet, by time of 25th Budokai, it was called "black magic" or "trick", how could people forget about it so quickly? I can somehow understand people forget about King Piccolo regime, because it lasted only a day, and most people probably didn`t saw him on TV.
That Bukujutsu one gets to me time to time as well. I think the whole aspect of people not being familiar with Ki abilities and techniques is interesting because it's quite prevalent with Goku is a child but just seems to fade away from people's memories rather quickly.
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:53 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:Initially, four of the five Kaioshin were killed by Buu, but later he only killed two of them and absorbed the other two.
By now absorbing them....should me they're dead. They disgusted by now. So he still killed him.
Nope. Kaioshin later makes a distinction between absorbing them and killing them, when he says that only two Kaioshin were killed by Majin Buu.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:09 pm

andrewtuell1991 wrote:Cell Arc: Only two people can enter ROSAT at a time.
Buu Arc: Goten, Trunks, Buu, and Piccolo all seem to fit rather nicely in there
I always thought that 2 people can enter the Hyperbolic Time Chamber and be able to live comfortably for a year (in terms of food and such) but by the time Piccolo & Buu came in the Time Chamber, it was just all fighting until they escaped.