Why the Broly hate?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

baneofdemon22
Beyond Newbie

Re: Why the Broly hate?

Post by baneofdemon22 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:56 am

crisis wrote:People don't turn to DBZ to watch a psychological thriller or deep detective story. People like it because it's flashy & entertaining with awesome character designs, nothing more, nothing less. Buu is a mindless creature that wants to destroy everything, Z Fighters must stop him. Cell wants to prove he's the strongest fighter ever, Z Fighters must stop him. Broly isn't really that far-fetched then most of all the other stories in the DBZ universe.
I don't think so many of these topics would have so many pages if that was the case. If that's all Dragonball was I would not bother with the franchise. It would be so boring if that was the case. Broly encapsulates every misconception people have about the franchise in my opinion.
crisis wrote:Broly is the Final Fantasy VII of DBZ. You're either part of the cult-like fanbase that adores him, you hate him because of all the adulation he gets, you think he's cool because you think every single thing about DBZ is cool, or you just tolerate him/indifferent towards him.
I don't understand what Final Fantasy has to do with it. People generally either love, hate, are indifferent to, tolerate pretty much everything.

I really enjoy the first part of the movie. I love the parent/teacher conference and Goku spending thinking he was in a "lying contest". The scenes where they're not fighting are my favorite scenes in the movies. The first few times I watched it, I stopped once Broly turned to his big bloated form, because I was so bored. He already looked very intimidating to me, and then they turned it up to a "12" and he looked stupid. I love the slim design though! I really like Paragus and the expansion of the Saiyan mythos.

crisis
Not-So-Newbie

Post by crisis » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:13 pm

Cipher wrote:Yeah, so, not one post above these two you had two people (myself included) stating they sort of like him for reasons far away from these.
Wow, two people out of all the hundreds of others that adhere to the reasons I listed. TWO! That's amazing!
baneofdemon22 wrote:I don't understand what Final Fantasy has to do with it.
More specifically, Final Fantasy 7 is arguably the most polarizing FF game Square has ever released. It has rabid fans that defend it to the death and think it's the best FF game out of all, likewise, Broly's fanbase is similar, with the constant comparisons on how he's stronger than everyone else in DBZ, people love to hate him, etc.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:15 pm

crisis wrote:Wow, two people out of all the hundreds of others that adhere to the reasons I listed. TWO! That's amazing!
It was a dismissive post implying that the only people who could enjoy the character are less mature fans or ones with little understanding of the franchise, which is an argument that often gets tossed around.

Cool your horsejets.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:26 pm

crisis wrote:Wow, two people out of all the hundreds of others that adhere to the reasons I listed. TWO! That's amazing!
You need to both knock off the attitude and remember that not everyone with every type of opinion is going to immediately respond to you, if they choose to respond at all. What you're interpreting as "fact" is not statistically significant in any way.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:18 pm

I actually really like Movie 8 until Goku shows up and that silly crying subplot was introduced. I think if the film just had Vegeta/Trunks go into space and kept the film to a revenge-on-Vegeta storyline it'd be great. Sadly as it was not, Movie 8 can be pretty boring at times.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

MDSTSSJ
Regular

Post by MDSTSSJ » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:57 pm

I like Broli ( despite his superficial development as a character ) mainly because he is a pure Saiyan and I love everything that has to do with pure Saiyans.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:27 pm

Kid Buu wrote:I actually really like Movie 8 until Goku shows up and that silly crying subplot was introduced. I think if the film just had Vegeta/Trunks go into space and kept the film to a revenge-on-Vegeta storyline it'd be great. Sadly as it was not, Movie 8 can be pretty boring at times.
That's cause every Dbz movie have to center around Goku.

Majin Vegeta Fan

Post by Majin Vegeta Fan » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:54 pm

I always ask myself the same thing, OP... i think it's just a matter of taste

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:58 am

Broly was the biggest disappointment ever for me. His movie opened up with this dark and haunting atmosphere, and Broly himself seemed interesting at first. There was never this much of a dark, tragic villain in the series, which drew my attention. It could've been great... but it's all ruined when we figure out that Broly, rather than being crazy because he was exiled from his own planet which then exploded and then was used as a living slave weapon, is crazy because... Goku cried too much in the bed next to him as a baby. I wouldn't even buy an origin like that for a gag villain. Then the last third of the movie just turns into Broly smashing everyone, which was extremely boring to me even as a kid. His second and third movies are somewhat more interesting in terms of battles, but Broly himself becomes EVEN WORSE. In M10, he's a delusional and crazy berserker who can't say anything but KAKAROOOOOOT!!! and mistakes Goten for Goku. M11 improves upon this by just making him unable to speak except in grunts (M11 is my favorite of his movies btw). In all three of his movies, he's a complete bore in both personality and battles, and has nothing to him at all except having a way higher power level than whoever he happens to be fighting (and never having his ass stomped on screen like he should have, since Goku beat him in Hell and where the hell was Vegeta in M11 and M10?).

More generally, he's just an embodiment of everything wrong with DBZ, everything a hater can point at and say "See? This is why this series sucks". An over muscled, dumb, incomprehensible, yelling, blond haired, bland piece of shit that does nothing but scream, power up, and punch stuff, complete with his own legion of annoying uneducated 12 year olds whose speech is only slightly more comprehensible than their idol's (in M10).

Oh, and the video game wank. Don't even get me started on that.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Landcross

Post by Landcross » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:16 am

RandomGuy96 wrote: More generally, he's just an embodiment of everything wrong with DBZ, everything a hater can point at and say "See? This is why this series sucks". An over muscled, dumb, incomprehensible, yelling, blond haired, bland piece of shit that does nothing but scream, power up, and punch stuff, complete with his own legion of annoying uneducated 12 year olds whose speech is only slightly more comprehensible than their idol's (in M10).
Why, I've seen brilliant YouTube commentary from people with usernames like XxXxBrOlYsSj5xXxX! Surely you jest!

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:14 am

baneofdemon22 wrote:I don't understand what Final Fantasy has to do with it.
More specifically, Final Fantasy 7 is arguably the most polarizing FF game Square has ever released. It has rabid fans that defend it to the death and think it's the best FF game out of all, likewise, Broly's fanbase is similar, with the constant comparisons on how he's stronger than everyone else in DBZ, people love to hate him, etc.[/quote]
FFVII, or, to be more specific, Sephiroth fans, are even more crazy, i can`t tell how many love letters/fan pages i saw over the years, not to mention, for many people, FFVII killed RPG genre, because in almost every Squaresoft RPG after that, we had to have dark story, and FFVII copy/paste characters. At least this Broly hype is only limited to fanfics and video games.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

orbweaver

Post by orbweaver » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:33 pm

Kid Buu wrote:I actually really like Movie 8 until Goku shows up and that silly crying subplot was introduced. I think if the film just had Vegeta/Trunks go into space and kept the film to a revenge-on-Vegeta storyline it'd be great. Sadly as it was not, Movie 8 can be pretty boring at times.
The plot certainly would have made a lot more sense.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:50 pm

Hardly anyone gets that the whole "crying thing" is just a well thought up symbolism and metaphor to demonstrate that Goku is meant to be the one to defeat Broly, that Goku, even as a baby, despite their MASSIVE power differences, has what it takes in him to affect Broly, to defeat him. And Broly instinctively knows this, he recognizes instinctively Goku as the biggest enemy that destiny has for him.

Its unfortunate that so many fans don't understand the symbolism, the metaphor, behind it and even sometimes say stuff like Goku caused Broly to be insane due to his crying.

Heck, if we really look into it, we find that Goku and Broly were born in the same day, the day that the legendary super saiyan is born (once in a 1000 years). And that they are natural enemies, fated to fight each other. That, plus the crying symbolism, plus the fact that Goku actually defeated Broly, and one very possible interpretation for the movie is that Goku, despite Broly having much larger natural power, was perhaps the REAL legendary super saiyan, and Broly just some sort of saiyan mutant who competed with him, meaning that there's more to being the legend than just having the highest natural power.

In short, the movie is easily the smartest Dragon Ball movie. It just isn't the best in terms of action because having Broly be so invulnerable and so bland in terms of personality kills the action.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:39 pm

rereboy wrote:Hardly anyone gets that the whole "crying thing" is just a well thought up symbolism and metaphor to demonstrate that Goku is meant to be the one to defeat Broly, that Goku, even as a baby, despite their MASSIVE power differences, has what it takes in him to affect Broly, to defeat him. And Broly instinctively knows this, he recognizes instinctively Goku as the biggest enemy that destiny has for him.
Maybe a nice fan theory. But I DOUBT that's what Toei was thinking. Honestly seemed like a cheap reason to get Goku to have bad connections with a villain. I mean the movie seemed great so far with revenge on Vegeta. The whole beginning was great. Then we found out Broly held a 30 year grudge because Goku's a crybaby. Seems cheap and "funny". I honestly doubt we would had TWO more Broly movies had that been a metaphor.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:23 am

TheGmGoken wrote:
Maybe a nice fan theory. But I DOUBT that's what Toei was thinking. Honestly seemed like a cheap reason to get Goku to have bad connections with a villain. I mean the movie seemed great so far with revenge on Vegeta. The whole beginning was great. Then we found out Broly held a 30 year grudge because Goku's a crybaby. Seems cheap and "funny". I honestly doubt we would had TWO more Broly movies had that been a metaphor.
I think its rather obvious that its a symbolism/metaphor. They even put a flashback of that moment of crying as Goku is delivering the final blow to Broly. Why would they show that moment as Goku is defeating Broly except to further show the parallel between Goku defeating him as a adult (despite Broly's enormous power) and Goku being able to upset Broly with his crying even as a baby (despite the enormous power difference)?

There's no other logical reason for them to choose that route that I can think of.

Its either that or believing that the crying is just a random thing or that Goku's crying made Broly insane which makes absolutely zero sense. Like I said, its unfortunate that fans very rarely understand this.

The other Broly movies don't have to follow the same tone of the first movie at all. The reason that they were made was because fans responded well to Broly and his movie, so they made others to make more money. But even in the second Broly, the only other one where its actually Broly and not a clone, the same tone of having Goku there to defeat Broly is still there. Even in this movie, the theme is the same. Goku is his greatest and destined enemy, Goku's family and friends will oppose him and Goku himself will come down from the heavens to defeat him.
Last edited by rereboy on Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:06 am

I know that I hate Broly because of him being completely overrated by fans and not living up to the hype. As a kid, when all we knew was the Ocean dub and we started getting summaries, pictures, and info from the stuff in Japan, Broly was a big deal. Everyone looked at him and just went crazy. So he was hyped and hyped and hyped and you know how kids' imaginations go. Then I saw the movies... And he was terrible.

baneofdemon22
Beyond Newbie

Post by baneofdemon22 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:31 am

@)rereboy I think that's very interesting you picked up on that. Hey, I'm happy to see anything that will to convince me to like things more! It doesn't do me good to read things that will convince me to dislike something, unless it was illegal or morally wrong.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:20 am

I like the idea of Broly and the design, but I'm not a fan of him taking all of their attacks and not moving an inch, it's boring. At least characters like Buu and Vegeta took beatings.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:07 pm

rereboy wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:
I think its rather obvious that its a symbolism/metaphor. They even put a flashback of that moment of crying as Goku is delivering the final blow to Broly. Why would they show that moment as Goku is defeating Broly except to further show the parallel between Goku defeating him as a adult (despite Broly's enormous power) and Goku being able to upset Broly with his crying even as a baby (despite the enormous power difference)?

There's no other logical reason for them to choose that route that I can think of.

Its either that or believing that the crying is just a random thing or that Goku's crying made Broly insane which makes absolutely zero sense. Like I said, its unfortunate that fans very rarely understand this.

The other Broly movies don't have to follow the same tone of the first movie at all. The reason that they were made was because fans responded well to Broly and his movie, so they made others to make more money. But even in the second Broly, the only other one where its actually Broly and not a clone, the same tone of having Goku there to defeat Broly is still there. Even in this movie, the theme is the same. Goku is his greatest and destined enemy, Goku's family and friends will oppose him and Goku himself will come down from the heavens to defeat him.
Same reason why Cooler had a flashback of Goku when he died. To show how Goku is connected to the main bad guy. Seems a little complex for a DB movie or something that's simple for at least most fans. I honestly got that Broly hated Goku for crying was another gag...but was a serious gag.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:57 pm

Another weird thing that always bugged me about Broly is that he's supposed to be the "legendary super Saiyan" but it was stated before that that Saiyan lived and died thousands of years ago, but Broly is only the same age as Goku.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147