What were the DragonBoxes' original Retail prices?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJ3_Zack
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

What were the DragonBoxes' original Retail prices?

Post by SSJ3_Zack » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:50 pm

I'm curious, how much were they originally? Because now I see them going for £100+ a lot of the time.

RocktheDragon
Regular

Re: What were the DragonBoxes' original Retail prices?

Post by RocktheDragon » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:55 pm

Would like to be reminded as well. I remember someone mentioning that upon release they'd MSRP in the U.S. for about 80 dollars but on Amazon or in a store like Best Buy it'd usually be around 30-40 dollars with lots of clearance sales on them. No idea about the UK situation though.
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:58 pm

The Japanese Dragon Boxes or FUNimation's Dragon Boxes?

The former all had different prices due to the different episode counts and such. DBZ 1 & 2 were ¥100,000 each, DB was ¥105,000, DBGT was ¥52,500, and The Movies was ¥52,500.

FUNimation's Dragon Boxes were initially set for $79.98 MSRP each, but that dropped real fast down to $59.98 after the second one, I believe.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:56 pm

VegettoEX wrote:The Japanese Dragon Boxes or FUNimation's Dragon Boxes?

The former all had different prices due to the different episode counts and such. DBZ 1 & 2 were ¥100,000 each, DB was ¥105,000, DBGT was ¥52,500, and The Movies was ¥52,500.

FUNimation's Dragon Boxes were initially set for $79.98 MSRP each, but that dropped real fast down to $59.98 after the second one, I believe.
Do you own all of funimation dragon boxes?

SSJ3_Zack
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ3_Zack » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:36 pm

VegettoEX wrote:The Japanese Dragon Boxes or FUNimation's Dragon Boxes?
I was a bit too vague on my question :lol:, I meant Funimation's DragonBox set. Wow I can't believe they were that cheap once . Thank you for the answer! :).

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:38 pm

Actually, they were often cheaper than that. While that was the MSRP, there were a few times retailers like RightStuf and Amazon priced them at $30-$40 when they first came out, if you were lucky. I was lucky. :lol:
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/29/24!)
Current Episode: Attack of the Member Berries - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 3

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:44 pm

SSJ3_Zack wrote:I was a bit too vague on my question :lol:, I meant Funimation's DragonBox set. Wow I can't believe they were that cheap once . Thank you for the answer! :).
I remember back when they first came out that sellers on Amazon.co.uk sold it at £26-£30 each and that was an awesome deal you had going on.

Sure am glad I got them all because I was inclined to give up collecting them but I hate incomplete collections. :P
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:47 pm

I got all of them for about 30-60 dollars. Varied between each box. I got Box 2 back when Amazon had a deal for 30 bucks. So, really, really happy about that.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:56 pm

I'm so glad I kept track of this. I paid $286.93 for my Dragon Box collection as they were coming out. That averages out to be $40.99 per box.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/29/24!)
Current Episode: Attack of the Member Berries - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 3

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:28 am

Other than box 7, I paid about $25-30 a box.
And $100 for box 7 "bought it later"

I still only paid $280 for all 7.

SSJ3_Zack
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ3_Zack » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:25 am

I would love to collect the Dragonboxes but the prices they go for is too much I'm willing to shell out for.

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:02 am

I don't know about original, but up until 12 months or so (or when I joined, and a long while after that), you could still get them from walmart.com for 29.99, or even 35.99 depending.
I also had a guy on here willing to sell me his sealed collection for 200, that's amazing. I didn't even snag the deal because I thought the levels were going to continue. :crazy: I think the whole reason I joined here was to pester the webmaster about the continuation of Levels.
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

Landcross

Post by Landcross » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:24 am

I'm pretty sure I paid 45 bucks at Best Buy for DB2.

I sold it for 255 dollars. Yeah, I sold it. I needed some extra cash and if I only own those Namek episodes cropped, so be it. I kept the first box, however. :oops:

cpuguy18

Post by cpuguy18 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:07 am

they where $60.