Lord Slug Appreciation Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MediaFanGirl93
Beyond Newbie

Re: Lord Slug Appreciation Thread

Post by MediaFanGirl93 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:15 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:This is a nice thread but I still don't like movie 4 due to for blatantly rehashing old concepts (more so than any other movie), though I did like False Super Saiyan and the fact that it actually portrayed Kuririn and Chi-Chi (two of the most underrated human characters in the series IMO) in a somewhat decent, and honest light as opposed to most movies.

Still better than movie 7 or movie 11.
I don't think Krillin is underrated or overrated. I mean, he does rank well in the popularity polls. And yeah, it was awesome to see mama bear Chi-chi kick ass to save her son.

I love the Lord Slug movie too. The ironic thing is that I was watching half of it yesterday.

Also, why do you hate movie 7, I love it. Movie 11, I can understand, but 7?

Off-topic question: I keep on trying to find recent popularity polls...where can I find one??

Landcross

Post by Landcross » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:31 am

I'm completely with you. My two favorite DBZ films are Dead Zone and Lord Slug!

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:37 am

Agree with the OP's points. I liked Lord Slug mainly for Piccolo- but also because Gohan, Chi Chi, and Yajirobe aren't left out. I like that the villain gets taken down by teamwork and that the teamwork doesn't just involve pure power also.

It has three main detriments: one, no even or even somewhat close or interesting fights, though honestly that's the case for all of the movies except for maybe 1, 7, 11, and 12 (while the M7 ones were even I guess, they were short and boring). M12 and M1 are the only movies I'd describe as having good fights. Two, Slug himself is a boring watered down cross between King Piccolo and Freeza (though I liked the idea of another non-Freeza planetary conqueror and an evil Super Namekian). My third biggest problem is basically a combination of one and two; we don't even get a showdown between Giant Slug and SS Goku, even though Slug is stated to be stronger than the Super Saiyan. That could have been awesome. But no, we just have Goku reverting right before Slug goes giant. As a result the fights continue to be boring and Slug looks unimpressive.

Overall though, there's enough stuff to like here. I'd certainly put it above the abysmal schlock of Movies 7, 8, and 10 at least. Still thinking about how it compares to 2, 3, 5, 6, and 11. The only ones I know that it's most definitely below are 1, 9, 12, and 13.
Last edited by RandomGuy96 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:47 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:I'd certainly put it above the abysmal schlock of Movies 3, 7, 8, and 10 at least. Still thinking about how it compares to 2, 3, 5, 6, and 11. The only ones I know that it's most definitely below are 1, 9, 12, and 13.
You listed Movie 3 twice there
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:49 am

...no I didn't.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:54 am

It's kind of hard for me to compare it to the other films because some I haven't seen in years (3, 6) and the DB films I just watched recently, so its still too early to call judgement on those.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:14 am

MediaFanGirl93 wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:This is a nice thread but I still don't like movie 4 due to for blatantly rehashing old concepts (more so than any other movie), though I did like False Super Saiyan and the fact that it actually portrayed Kuririn and Chi-Chi (two of the most underrated human characters in the series IMO) in a somewhat decent, and honest light as opposed to most movies.

I don't think Krillin is underrated or overrated. I mean, he does rank well in the popularity polls. And yeah, it was awesome to see mama bear Chi-chi kick ass to save her son.

I love the Lord Slug movie too. The ironic thing is that I was watching half of it yesterday.

Yeah but he's still ragged on relentlessly.

Also, it's because it's a boring, logic-fuck saiyan wank movie with lame villains that have no personalities and tacky racially-offensive character designs (among other things).
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

MediaFanGirl93
Beyond Newbie

Post by MediaFanGirl93 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:48 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
MediaFanGirl93 wrote:

Yeah but he's still ragged on relentlessly.

Also, it's because it's a boring, logic-fuck saiyan wank movie with lame villains that have no personalities and tacky racially-offensive character designs (among other things).
Yeah, people do bash Krillin a lot for being "weak."

I still like Movie 7, but I never liked Android 13. I felt he sucked as a villain as well. It's just the main and supporting characters I loved in the movie.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:02 pm

A thing I liked with this movie was the villain's voice. Yeah his character was a rehash of things of King Piccolo, but Brice Armstrong gave him a nice voice. (Only seen the dub as it came out a month before I got a dvd player).

Eddie
Advanced Regular

Post by Eddie » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:14 pm

Super Sonic wrote:A thing I liked with this movie was the villain's voice. Yeah his character was a rehash of things of King Piccolo, but Brice Armstrong gave him a nice voice. (Only seen the dub as it came out a month before I got a dvd player).
It's been years since I've heard the dub of the actual film, but I do remember Slug as having a pretty good dub voice. Funi had started doing pretty decent casting by the time they started up with the movies. It's unfortunate that they felt the need to rewrite so heavily.

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:40 pm

Lord Slug was the first Dragon Ball Z movie I saw. 2001 in Wellington, New Zealand. Bought the DVD straight after the debut screening too.

I thought the music in it was pretty cool, and made it feel really exciting.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:23 pm

sailorspazz wrote:I liked the hilarious description I saw for it on my cable TV onscreen guide:

Lord Slug truly was truly the greatest space opera of our generation!
Ha, that's funny.

Actually, the closest thing to a "space opera" in all of DB material would probably be the first part of GT.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147