Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Landcross

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Post by Landcross » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:48 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Daimo-Rukiri wrote:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/Dragon ... PDKIKX0DER
Seems the $16-17 releases end here, could be updated later.
It's 2014 and yet Amazon allows people to post reviews for something that isn't out. If only they owned it to be reviewing but they don't.

Anyway, I'm curious what'll the cover be with, perhaps King Cold, Mecha Freeza, Trunks and Cell 1st Form. It'd be funny to see Vegeta with his t-shirt "Badman" in the background though. :lol:
Gotta have Garlic Jr on the cover somewhere!

I've been thinking about this now, with each cover group of three featuring no repeating characters, and I'd like to see:

Season 4: Trunks leaping at Mecha Freeza and King Cold with the Z-sword, Kami, Mr Popo and Garlic Jr in the background, Mustard, Salt, Vinegar and Spice somewhere. Super Saiyan Vegeta fighting Android 19, Dr. Gero watching.

Season 5: Piccolo fighting 17, Krillin with 18. Imperfect Cell/Stage 2 Cell kind of next to each other (showing the transition.) Bulma somewhere in the background, with Roshi and Chi-Chi.

Season 6: SSJ Gohan front and center, fighting Perfect Cell. SSJ Goku and Android 16 behind. Yamcha and Tien fighting Cell Jrs. Mr. Satan somewhere, posturing. Maybe King Kai watching from his planet. Chiaotzu and Dende somewhere.

I think that covers just about everybody. Seems about in line with the number of characters on the current sets. Season 1 has 6 characters on it, but Season 2 has 12.

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:45 am

ABED wrote:I've seen the blu rays and the season sets, and while bad, aren't VHS quality.
dbboxkaifan wrote:And no, the Season BDs aren't VHS quality you're just exaggerating and for you to say that you mustn't remember what the quality looked like.
Why you guys took it literally? Here is an explanation of my thought: http://www.mediafire.com/view/fxckl7c45k8m7a2/FUNi.PNG

This is what FUNimation is doing.
ABED wrote:The art is a means to an end, what's important isn't the colors, it's the episodes, the story.
Are animations, cels, backgrounds, voice performances, sound effects and music not an art?
dbboxkaifan wrote:If you're a fan of the original work logically you'd be buying the full colour mangas and other books with artworks by Akira Toriyama not the anime series/films which were designed by various artists.
Biff Tannen wrote:Hello? Hello? Anybody home?
I guess that this topic is related to Dragon Ball Z ANIME on blu-ray... Are you trying to tell me that the artwork designed by various artists is not an artwork? Is it really so hard to understand that I was referring to the anime series?
dbboxkaifan wrote:The Season BDs are a low budget release so that's all there is to it, there's no point bashing it any more.
I'm not a businessman. I'm classic animation fan. Low price doesn't change the fact that the original footage was butchered on purpose. Calling things by name, expressing your true feelings or opinions in far from bashing. As to me, I'm doing it only because many people still don't understand "the rage" of the fans who care for quality. They do not understand WHY we put the quality that high. I'm trying to explain this.
dbboxkaifan wrote:Dragon Ball Z: Season Three on Blu-ray basically costs 50 cents per episode (32 in total) which is insanely cheap and you can't get an authentic release cheaper than this.
The price is the second factor to me. If the product does not meet my standards, I'm not even looking at it. Why should I buy things I don't want? Because they are cheap? Because "I save 99%"? This kind of advertising doesn't work on me.
Last edited by Kojiro Sasaki on Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:57 am

Just about to start disc 4 on S2.
This quality with the Kai dub would have been truly amazing! Having said that the Z dub isn't too bad. Although, it does feel weird listening to this Freeza's voice again.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:00 am

Are animations, cels, backgrounds, voice performances, sound effects and music not an art?
They are, but they are means to an end. They aren't the finished product.

The colors looked fine on the DBoxes. If someone could make it look better but not created a significant tradeoff in price, or any at all, then fine. However, I'm not as interested in everything looking super sharp. As long as the colors aren't so dark that Goku's gi looks black, I'm fine.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:35 am

ABED wrote: They are, but they are means to an end. They aren't the finished product.
I don't really understand this. They are the product. Without them you have nothing.

At least, that's how I feel and that's why I'm so adamant they be treated with the respect they deserve.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:56 am

I may be misunderstanding, but isn't that like saying the wheels, engine, frame, etc are the "means to an end" of a car?
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:58 am

Exactly, they are parts of the unfinished car. They are unfinished goods.

Not having the most amazing quality isn't disrespect.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:07 am

ABED wrote: Not having the most amazing quality isn't disrespect.
Ah, that was the point you were trying to make. I was getting confused in all the quotes. :P

In that case, I'd say I agree. Some people just don't care that much about video quality. I'm sure, if asked, they'd like it to look it's best. But a lot of the general audience wouldn't even notice if you didn't point out the differences to them.

And if I'm being completely honest, Dragon Ball is the only series where I care as much as I do now about the video quality.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:30 am

ABED wrote:Exactly, they are parts of the unfinished car. They are unfinished goods.
Does it mean that they can be damaged?
ABED wrote:Not having the most amazing quality isn't disrespect.
1. Do not mistake "not having the most amazing quality" with the level of degradation presented on these sets.
2. "Quality" (I would prefer the word "fidelity") demand is strongly connected with your approach to the art. If you are not deeply fascinated by colors, line work, animations, various visual effects etc., it is obvious that these thing aren't important to you.

There is a need to accept the fact that sometimes there is no possibility to fully understand what other people feel or think. Realizing that will spare us unnecessary quarrels.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:32 pm

The Season BDs are a perfectly serviceable release as are the Dragon Ball: Blue Bricks and Dragon Ball GT: Green Bricks all three releases have their flaws but for the casual customers they're more than enough.

I just don't see the point arguing over quality on this release as I've stated what this exactly is. Just wait patiently and maybe you'll get your DBZ 4x3 HD Blu-ray release.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:31 pm

Kojiro Sasaki wrote:
ABED wrote:Exactly, they are parts of the unfinished car. They are unfinished goods.
Does it mean that they can be damaged?
1. Do not mistake "not having the most amazing quality" with the level of degradation presented on these sets.
2. "Quality" (I would prefer the word "fidelity") demand is strongly connected with your approach to the art. If you are not deeply fascinated by colors, line work, animations, various visual effects etc., it is obvious that these thing aren't important to you.

There is a need to accept the fact that sometimes there is no possibility to fully understand what other people feel or think. Realizing that will spare us unnecessary quarrels.
I think there's a lot of confusion about my point. I'm not arguing in favor of this release, I'm simply saying that just because DVD's or a blu ray release doesn't have the greatest video quality doesn't make it bad.

I'm not sure what you are talking about regarding your first question. My point was that those things in isolation aren't the finished product. They're important but what's more important is how they work as a whole.

I have this feeling that somehow you look down on me for not caring that the colors, linework, etc. aren't what you would consider quality. I like em fine, but I'm much more interested in the show and story. The art is a means to an end for me. As long as it looks nice and professional, I'm good.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:17 pm

ABED wrote: As long as it looks nice and professional, I'm good.
That's the thing though. This release isn't any of those things. At best, it's slightly better than those awful 'HD Remasters' you see on YouTube.

Deadtuber.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:18 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:
ABED wrote: As long as it looks nice and professional, I'm good.
That's the thing though. This release isn't any of those things. At best, it's slightly better than those awful 'HD Remasters' you see on YouTube.
True, but I wasn't referring to this release.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:19 pm

ABED wrote: True, but I wasn't referring to this release.
Oh, I see. That's my mistake. Sorry!

Deadtuber.

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:40 pm

ABED wrote:I have this feeling that somehow you look down on me for not caring that the colors, linework, etc. aren't what you would consider quality. I like em fine, but I'm much more interested in the show and story. The art is a means to an end for me. As long as it looks nice and professional, I'm good.
Absolutely not. I'm still discussing this topic, because I also have a feeling that people look down on me for being interested in technical things. People like me are considered to be crazy nitpicky arrogant extremists. I'm (desperately) trying to explain that this is not it.

Some of your posts sound more like statements than opinions - it is sometimes confusing :) I don't know if you are trying to tell me how I should think or if you are expressing your opinion. Now you clearly explained what you mean and I have absolutely nothing against that.

I did never learn English and expressing my thoughts in this language is REALLY hard to me. Sometimes, I have no idea how I sound or if the words I used are proper. Please keep that in mind :)

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:52 pm

Kojiro Sasaki wrote:
ABED wrote:I have this feeling that somehow you look down on me for not caring that the colors, linework, etc. aren't what you would consider quality. I like em fine, but I'm much more interested in the show and story. The art is a means to an end for me. As long as it looks nice and professional, I'm good.
Absolutely not. I'm still discussing this topic, because I also have a feeling that people look down on me for being interested in technical things. People like me are considered to be crazy nitpicky arrogant extremists. I'm (desperately) trying to explain that this is not it.

Some of your posts sound more like statements than opinions - it is sometimes confusing :) I don't know if you are trying to tell me how I should think or if you are expressing your opinion. Now you clearly explained what you mean and I have absolutely nothing against that.

I did never learn English and expressing my thoughts in this language is REALLY hard to me. Sometimes, I have no idea how I sound or if the words I used are proper. Please keep that in mind :)
It might be just me, but I've never seen a problem with your English.
Goku wrote:You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!
DBZ ended after the Frieza Saga.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:54 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:
ABED wrote: True, but I wasn't referring to this release.
Oh, I see. That's my mistake. Sorry!
No problem.
Kojiro Sasaki wrote:

I'm a native English speaker and I need to learn to communicate more effectively, you're doing more than fine. In fact, some native English speakers are atrocious.

I am expressing an opinion, so sorry if I come across as hostile, it's not my intention.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:15 pm

Has anyone asked Funimation what's going wrong with the ending and if they're planning to fix it in future seasons and reprints?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:33 pm

Fizzer wrote:Has anyone asked Funimation what's going wrong with the ending and if they're planning to fix it in future seasons and reprints?
My guess is it will probably would be fixed for Season 4 if it were to be fixed. Since the impression I got was that they finished work on 1-3 whilst they announced season 1.

Omar1st

Post by Omar1st » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:46 pm

This is just terrible. I think I've only noticed it on this set, but that blurriness!!! Its all over this set, its disgusting! How are the few that do, find this acceptable? I just don't get it.

Last edited by Omar1st on Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.