Watching Kai more often than the original DBZ

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

hulkty
Banned

Re: Watching Kai more often then the original DBZ

Post by hulkty » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:20 pm

Kai + Bruce Falcouner soundtrack = ALL MY LOVE

...too bad that may never happen. :(

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:28 pm

When it comes to just watching for my own enjoyment of the story, I actually do watch Kai more often than Z. The practically-nonexistent filler means I get more out of each episode, and as a bonus for the first time ever it's enjoyable in both Japanese AND English!
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:25 am

I definitely watch Kai much more than the original DBZ anime. I bring it up from time to time on the Kai section of this forum but Kai is much more enjoyable for me and my friends to watch together. The Japanese audio may not be the best (that goes to the original anime) but it's good enough for me to get involved in the plot and battles. I also love the fact that it's an HD remastering and it sure looks great on my TV!

It'll be interesting to see what happens in the future with regards to Kai and the original anime since at the moment Kai seems to not be anywhere near the popularity of the original (understandably).
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:26 am

hulkty wrote:Kai + Bruce Falcouner soundtrack = ALL MY LOVE

...too bad that may never happen. :(
Here you go buddy http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=18094 enjoy!
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:45 am

Kinda a mix, I watch Z from Saiyan to Freeza arcs, and Kai for the rest, most of the time I listen to the dub.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:28 am

As much as I love the original DBZ with it's music and vocal performances, I do watch Kai a lot more often if I'm in the mood to watch some DBZ. Or the DBZ movies; you're basically getting the payoff portions of each story arc in the Z movies.

I also have been re-reading bits of the manga, thanks to Viz's awesome Full Color release.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Vice
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Vice » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:33 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:Haven't watched neither in a while but read the manga recently and that was the best version of Dragon Ball Z for me, no filler at all just straight to the point like Toriyama intended.

Dragon Ball Kai still kept some filler even though it was supposed to be true to the manga.

"All Action, No Filler" what a lie.
Seriously dude? They cut a 200-episode series by half.

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:19 am

I mainly read Dragonball nowadays. I really should watch the Dragon Boxes I have though.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

Landcross

Post by Landcross » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:32 am

I've been doing the opposite....watching the filler episodes of DBZ, and re-reading the manga for the rest!

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:36 am

I don't watch Z and I watch Kai (with the newly composed score when in Japanese, and - because it's mandatory - with the Kikuchi replacement score when in French).
It's also Kai that I show to friends wanting to discover or rediscover the show (newcomers will find that it's already a bit too long at times and should go faster - especially during the Freezer fight -, so I can't even imagine what they would think about Z and how quickly they would stop watching it).

Faster (a real sense that each episode makes you move a big step forward in the plot and has been "useful" and "not a waste of time at all"), better picture quality, better cinematic music (includes insert songs too, making scenes like the Ginyu Commando presentation, Goku's comeback to fight Freezer or "Grade 3 Trunks" VS Cell very special), and more variations in mid-episode eyecatches as a bonus to further emphasize you're quickly progressing through an evolving story with new characters and new forms in just a handful of episodes... Plus openings that do reflect recent or upcoming events, unlike the Z opening/ending still showing kid Gohan when it's the Cell Game...
This might seem trivial, but relevant pictures in the openings do a lot to newcomers to hype up what's coming or emphasize the importance of recent changes.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:49 am

Cold Skin wrote:I don't watch Z and I watch Kai (with the newly composed score when in Japanese, and - because it's mandatory - with the Kikuchi replacement score when in French).
It's also Kai that I show to friends wanting to discover or rediscover the show (newcomers will find that it's already a bit too long at times and should go faster - especially during the Freezer fight -, so I can't even imagine what they would think about Z and how quickly they would stop watching it).

Faster (a real sense that each episode makes you move a big step forward in the plot and has been "useful" and "not a waste of time at all"), better picture quality, better cinematic music (includes insert songs too, making scenes like the Ginyu Commando presentation, Goku's comeback to fight Freezer or "Grade 3 Trunks" VS Cell very special), and more variations in mid-episode eyecatches as a bonus to further emphasize you're quickly progressing through an evolving story with new characters and new forms in just a handful of episodes... Plus openings that do reflect recent or upcoming events, unlike the Z opening/ending still showing kid Gohan when it's the Cell Game...
This might seem trivial, but relevant pictures in the openings do a lot to newcomers to hype up what's coming or emphasize the importance of recent changes.
Not to mention the French dub is really good script wise. I have to say the new Cell and Kuririn are very lacking, though. Cell in the Z dub was so incredibly good. That dub was really a big, mixed bag; many good voice actors but terrible script.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:01 am

^ Yeah, the new dub is really a treat, that makes me hope that it will be the basis for Battle of Gods: despite the fact that the movie is branding Z, I sure hope they will rather make the dub in continuity with Kai and not go back to "Space warriors" for the sake of Z nostalgia for the general audience. But I trust they know better than that!
I also hope and trust that we'll get a new dub for the Boo saga as well, there's no reason why they wouldn't release the third and final Kai pack - especially since it would likely be handy to make both the Boo and Battle of Gods dub sessions in a row!

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:18 am

For the past year that Kai's been airing on Kix I've watched it a bunch of times. Now though I think I'll soon be back to watching Funi Z as my main version. Although I've yet to see Kai uncut so I'll see how that goes.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:22 am

Kai is like my quick reference alternative to Dragonball Z.

On the whole, though, I find that whilst Kai trims out some of the fat - the consequential changes in tone make it sometimes not as enjoyable as the original.

My overall thought on Kai is that it lacks some of the re-watch value of Z. It was something that was nice to watch once, as a fan of the original, but I don't feel that it has managed to supersede it.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:23 pm

Is there someone here who hasn't watched Kai at al? I mean, with the exception of watching it on TV when it aired, I never really cared, because honestly it doesn't do anything new/better for me. (In this case, give me a new/better PT dub). And if I wanted to watch it in Japanese from start to finish, several episodes a day, I would just watch Z.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

Mystic Buu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Watching Kai more often than the original DBZ

Post by Mystic Buu » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:14 pm

Kai.It has good music and pacing is much faster than in DBZ.I like fillers,but sometimes I just skip them when I watch Z.In Kai I don't have to.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:19 pm

Quebaz wrote:Is there someone here who hasn't watched Kai at all? I mean, with the exception of watching it on TV when it aired, I never really cared, because honestly it doesn't do anything new/better for me. (In this case, give me a new/better PT dub). And if I wanted to watch it in Japanese from start to finish, several episodes a day, I would just watch Z.
A new and better PT dub? Portuguese dubs are overall mediocre as hell but I'd like to see them professionally dub this though it won't happen.

Anyhow, I'm watching Dragon Ball (via: Dragon Ball - Collection Part One) and the picture quality looks great so it boggles my mind why they'd need to go through the trouble of digitally remastering it to make it look inferior.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:42 pm

Quebaz wrote:Is there someone here who hasn't watched Kai at al? I mean, with the exception of watching it on TV when it aired, I never really cared, because honestly it doesn't do anything new/better for me. (In this case, give me a new/better PT dub). And if I wanted to watch it in Japanese from start to finish, several episodes a day, I would just watch Z.
I'm currently completing my first run through the series now, but I didn't watch any major chunks while or immediately after it was airing. I finally decided to get the Blu-Rays, though, and I've been enjoying it.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:53 pm

JEFFMAN219 wrote:Do any of you guys watch DBZ kai more often then the original DBZ dubbed or subbed?
Yes. It's generally more faithful to the manga, so I don't see the point of revisiting DBZ other than nostalgic curiosity (or a great home video transfer which is yet to be released).

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:18 pm

I watch a mix of both, to be honest. Sometimes I feel like certain arcs are a little too thick to cut through without Kai, or at least some areas of said arcs.

Of course, I prefer Japanese for all animated DB features, regardless. Even with the improved English dub for Kai, it's clear that the Japanese cast are superior on the whole. But I will watch Kai in English from time to time in reverence to the improvements made, and because Funimation Blu-Rays have nigh invisible subtitles.

There's no way I'm watching the original DBZ for any sizeable length of time with the English dub turned on. For obvious reasons.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?