Bardock/Trunks TV Specials 4:3 Options

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

i'mfuckingevil
Beyond Newbie

Bardock/Trunks TV Specials 4:3 Options

Post by i'mfuckingevil » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:04 pm

So in my opinion, Bardock and History of Trunks are the 2 best DBZ movies, even though they aren't technically movies. I bought the Bluray combo pack and I noticed that is in 16:9, and that a whole lot of footage is lost at the top and bottom of the screen. Is this just way the footage is on the disc or is there any other for me to view it? Is there an option to make it 4:3?

RocktheDragon
Regular

Re: the footage rereleased and remastered

Post by RocktheDragon » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:14 pm

i'mfuckingevil wrote:So in my opinion, Bardock and History of Trunks are the 2 best DBZ movies, even though they aren't technically movies. I bought the Bluray combo pack and I noticed that is in 16:9, and that a whole lot of footage is lost at the top and bottom of the screen. Is this just way the footage is on the disc or is there any other for me to view it? Is there an option to make it 4:3?
I believe the only way for you to view either in the original 4:3 (at least in an American release) is to go and search for the DVD singles that Funimation released back in 2001.

Here is the Bardock one on DVD on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-Bardo ... er+of+goku

Seems pricey, but it is also available on VHS there too. :p

Edit: For the record, the VHS one's start at $1.98 versus 64.99...but yeah. If you look around on Ebay you could probably find the DVD for far cheaper.

Double Edit: I might as well add that the History of Trunks is far cheaper, starting at $15.00 on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-The-H ... +of+trunks

And that was released in 2000, a whole year before the Bardock special! Which makes me wonder why the Bardock special is so expensive...
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

i'mfuckingevil
Beyond Newbie

Post by i'mfuckingevil » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:41 pm

WHAT?! That is the ONLY way to watch these films in their true form? That is super fucking lame. Not even worth it if they'r not out on Bluray.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:53 pm

Actually, they're on the Japanese Dragon Box Z sets and look fantastic. Far better than their Blu-Ray counterparts. Resolution doesn't always equate to quality. The colours and contrast are great and the grain is in tact as well as maintaining the 4:3 aspect. It's very nice.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:10 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:Actually, they're on the Japanese Dragon Box Z sets and look fantastic. Far better than their Blu-Ray counterparts. Resolution doesn't always equate to quality. The colours and contrast are great and the grain is in tact as well as maintaining the 4:3 aspect. It's very nice.
If you want to spend a pretty penny I guess that's fine. But not everyone can afford to put down that kind of money down, no matter how much quality the Japanese Dragon Box release may be. And then there is the problem of subtitles, which can be overcome but for someone that just wants to pop a disc in and watch it can be a very inconvenient and expensive hurdle.
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:13 pm

i'mfuckingevil wrote:WHAT?! That is the ONLY way to watch these films in their true form? That is super fucking lame. Not even worth it if they'r not out on Bluray.
I would disagree with that statement. Does that mean that the Japanese or U.S. Dragon Boxes aren't worth it because they aren't on BD? Saying something like that seems a bit silly, even with the marked improvement in Blu-ray.

I can see how the price of the Bardock special would be a deterrent, but if it was a more reasonable price I don't see a problem with trying to acquire it. But at 64 dollars it is outrageous, if that's what you were trying to get at.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:17 pm

i'mfuckingevil wrote:So in my opinion, Bardock and History of Trunks are the 2 best DBZ movies, even though they aren't technically movies. I bought the Bluray combo pack and I noticed that is in 16:9, and that a whole lot of footage is lost at the top and bottom of the screen.
But you do gain footage on the sides:

It would be nice if there was a 4:3 release without any loss though. Right now it's a "pick your poison" type of situation, and the BD has the advantage of better contrast and the expected higher resolution and bitrate.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:22 pm

RocktheDragon wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:Actually, they're on the Japanese Dragon Box Z sets and look fantastic. Far better than their Blu-Ray counterparts. Resolution doesn't always equate to quality. The colours and contrast are great and the grain is in tact as well as maintaining the 4:3 aspect. It's very nice.
If you want to spend a pretty penny I guess that's fine. But not everyone can afford to put down that kind of money down, no matter how much quality the Japanese Dragon Box release may be. And then there is the problem of subtitles, which can be overcome but for someone that just wants to pop a disc in and watch it can be a very inconvenient and expensive hurdle.
Oh yeah, for sure. I just wanted to offer up some sort of retort to him implying the Blu-Rays were the only way to see them in their 'original' form.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:02 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:
i'mfuckingevil wrote:So in my opinion, Bardock and History of Trunks are the 2 best DBZ movies, even though they aren't technically movies. I bought the Bluray combo pack and I noticed that is in 16:9, and that a whole lot of footage is lost at the top and bottom of the screen.
But you do gain footage on the sides:
It would be nice if there was a 4:3 release without any loss though. Right now it's a "pick your poison" type of situation, and the BD has the advantage of better contrast and the expected higher resolution and bitrate.
Yeah. As someone who owns all of the NA releases of Bardock I have to say that I keep coming back to the original 4:3 presentation. At times the BD can be very nice, and it provides a different experience, but nothing takes me back like having the Japanese title credits on there.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:12 pm

i'mfuckingevil wrote:So in my opinion, Bardock and History of Trunks are the 2 best DBZ movies, even though they aren't technically movies. I bought the Bluray combo pack and I noticed that is in 16:9, and that a whole lot of footage is lost at the top and bottom of the screen. Is this just way the footage is on the disc or is there any other for me to view it? Is there an option to make it 4:3?
1) It'd be more accurate to say "Tomatoes are the best vegetables even though they aren't technically vegetables" 'cause those two DBZ videos are nothing more than TV-Specials which fit under Freeza's arc and Artificlal Humans arc. I really hate when people call these TV-Specials as "movies".

2) No there's no dual angle if there were everyone would know about it.

You can however buy the old US DBZ Singles which are 4x3 AR or the 2011 release of the "Heroes" DVD. Screenshots below.
Luso Saiyan wrote:But you do gain footage on the sides
You lose more on the top and bottom than what you gain on the sides. I don't care much about the footage on the sides, it's more important to me on top and bottom.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:43 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote: Oh yeah, for sure. I just wanted to offer up some sort of retort to him implying the Blu-Rays were the only way to see them in their 'original' form.
Can you imagine if the level sets actually went on to complete throughout the movies and specials as well? We got More footage than on the Dragon Boxes on top and bottom, and with the sides! That was Crazy~
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:47 pm

TheAldella wrote:Can you imagine if the level sets actually went on to complete throughout the movies and specials as well? We got More footage than on the Dragon Boxes on top and bottom, and with the sides! That was Crazy~
People keep forgetting that the Level BDs had detail loss and that wasn't a good thing.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:52 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
TheAldella wrote:Can you imagine if the level sets actually went on to complete throughout the movies and specials as well? We got More footage than on the Dragon Boxes on top and bottom, and with the sides! That was Crazy~
People keep forgetting that the Level BDs had detail loss and that wasn't a good thing.
They did have detail loss, yes, but I'm speaking of the overall area of the image shown being superior to all of what we've gotten before. That's not really what I cared about when making that post.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:02 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:You lose more on the top and bottom than what you gain on the sides. I don't care much about the footage on the sides, it's more important to me on top and bottom.
You lose both ways, and if you want to get more specific about it, the actually relevant information is not lost on any of them.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:08 pm

The Level BDs were also lacking the original Japanese credits, NEPs, correct OP animation and probably something else that I've not mentioned. I'd have been satisfied with the Level BDs had they had at least the Japanese credits which sadly they didn't.

Seems like FUNimation is English only nowadays. :?
Luso Saiyan wrote:You lose both ways, and if you want to get more specific about it, the actually relevant information is not lost on any of them.
That's what they always say to defend the cropped releases. For purists the way to go for is fullscreen (except when the video aspect ratio is widescreen originally -- Battle of Gods).
Last edited by dbboxkaifan on Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:09 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:The Level BDs were also lacking the original Japanese credits, NEPs, correct OP animation and probably something else that I've not mentioned. I'd have been satisfied with the Level BDs had they had at least the Japanese credits which sadly they didn't.

Seems like FUNimation is English only nowadays. :?
Th-They've been doing that stuff since like 2006 or 2007, dude. Remember the Brick sets? YuYu Hakusho? Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood? All these have lacked japanese credits and alternate angles.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:18 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:That's what they always say to defend the cropped releases.
I'm not defending anything. All I'm saying is that neither the 4:3 nor the 16:9 release are uncropped, and that the BD still has overall better quality despite the wider aspect ratio when compared to the DVD.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:48 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:The Level BDs were also lacking the original Japanese credits, NEPs, correct OP animation and probably something else that I've not mentioned. I'd have been satisfied with the Level BDs had they had at least the Japanese credits which sadly they didn't.
Just a little correction -- though they lacked the Japanese credits and episode previews, they did in fact have the correct OP animations.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

GarrettCRW
Beyond Newbie

Post by GarrettCRW » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:53 pm

TheAldella wrote:Th-They've been doing that stuff since like 2006 or 2007, dude. Remember the Brick sets? YuYu Hakusho? Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood? All these have lacked japanese credits and alternate angles.
Wasn't the change in policy announced after Funimation said something to the effect that adding extra angles was too difficult? Granted, their branching worked pretty badly IIRC (perhaps even worse than the branching on the Blu-rays for the original Star Trek, which is even more embarrassing since that's a major studio), but it is a standard feature of the format.