Will Rock the Dragon be Funimations Final DVD Release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Will Rock the Dragon be Funimations Final DVD Release

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:27 am

Will rock the dragon be the final dvd release for the franchise besides Buu Saga Kai :/. I say this is likely because I feel if they dragonbox dragonball or the movies they will choose to go with the superior format. DVDs are starting to go the way of VHS although they definitely have probably 2 decades left but, there are not many releases by funimation that are strictly dvd anymore. Most are combo pack. I say this is way more likely than the Blu Rays being the last Z release on home media.

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Re: Will Rock the Dragon be Funimations Final DVD Release

Post by LordCrumb » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:30 am

rs_chaosmaster wrote:Will rock the dragon be the final dvd release for the franchise besides Buu Saga Kai :/. I say this is likely because I feel if they dragonbox dragonball or the movies they will choose to go with the superior format. DVDs are starting to go the way of VHS although they definitely have probably 2 decades left but, there are not many releases by funimation that are strictly dvd anymore. Most are combo pack. I say this is way more likely than the Blu Rays being the last Z release on home media.
Nah. DVDs are not going the way of VHS for some time yet.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:31 am

This is like asking: "Will the Season Blu-rays be the last DBZ release?" and the answer is very likely not.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

JackyBoi99
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by JackyBoi99 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:04 am

Nope, within the next two or so years we will get some sort of release.
It is clear that sometime in Mark Satan's life, he acquired the dragon balls and called upon shenlong to grant him immortality.

98% of Kanzenshuu-goers have not kissed a girl. If you're one of the 2% that has, copy and paste this into your signature.
- Kid Buu

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:21 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:This is like asking: "Will the Season Blu-rays be the last DBZ release?" and the answer is very likely not.
What does that have to do with the original question? rs_chaosmaster is asking whether or not they will release the series on the DVD format in the future. Of course they will continue releasing the series, but considering that now they're releasing the Season Blu-rays which seem to be successful, they might be thinking that this is the time to switch everything to the Blu-ray format.

They will release the Buu Kai on DVD for sure, though. So the answer is NO as you stated, but the RtD set at least can be the final DVD-only release of the franchise.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:27 am

He's asking if Rock the Dragon Edition (= Dragon Ball Z) is FUNimation's last DVD release and the logical answer to that is no because DVD's still far more profitable than Blu-ray.

Rock the Dragon Edition was a one time release which probably won't ever happen again, though. Except that there's the Singles of it out there, however, this set includes the "uncut" dub and edited film 3.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:33 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:He's asking if Rock the Dragon Edition (= Dragon Ball Z) is FUNimation's last DVD release and the logical answer to that is no because DVD's still far more profitable than Blu-ray.
And that statement doesn't have to do with the fact that the Season Blu-rays won't be the final home video release of the franchise which you mentioned in your previous post. I just pointed out that it's a completely different story.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:51 am

rs_chaosmaster wrote:Will rock the dragon be the final dvd release for the franchise besides Buu Saga Kai :/. I say this is likely because I feel if they dragonbox dragonball or the movies they will choose to go with the superior format.
The Dragon Box masters are 480p; there's no logical reason to put those on Blu-ray. If FUNimation releases them, it will be on DVD.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Limienerd

Post by Limienerd » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:04 am

I see it likely in the future for there to be a DVD/Blu ray combo pack kind of deal. If we get more Dragon box releases Funimation will likely do DVD versions of that. So no I think we will get more DVD releases aside from Buu Kai.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:11 am

Unless they redub the films and first Dragonball series, I hope it will be their last.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:24 pm

Lord no! LOL They will keep re-releasing the series over and over and over until it stops making them money. I think Dragonball is a perfect example of a fantastic series. Why? Because we keep re-buying it over and over.(Well some of us do anyways. but it has to be because many others as well as myself keep buying them. because they wouldn't keep re-releasing them like they do if what I said wasn't true.)

Edit - I just want to add a bit more. It doesn't matter if Funimation or Toei came out with the most ultimate of ultimate release where the Japanese audio wasn't muffled etc etc and the quality was so amazing that it blew us out of our chair! Something later down the line would get released like Kai and we would be all over it. haha
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:46 pm

samuraix123 wrote:Lord no! LOL They will keep re-releasing the series over and over and over until it stops making them money. I think Dragonball is a perfect example of a fantastic series. Why? Because we keep re-buying it over and over.(Well some of us do anyways. but it has to be because many others as well as myself keep buying them. because they wouldn't keep re-releasing them like they do if what I said wasn't true.)
Your post is totally pointless because the OP is talking about whether the series will be released on the DVD format again in the future. Not about home video releases in general.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:56 pm

Haha sorry about that :P but to make it not pointless I'll add that I'll bet money that when the Boo saga of Kai gets released it'll have a DVD/Blu-ray release.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:01 pm

They won't do a new DVD release, there's no reason for them to. The Orange Bricks still fly off the shelves so why spend the money producing a new product?

Maybe they'd re-release the Dragon Boxes but that's really not likely considering how long it's been now.

They'll more than likely focus on Blu-Ray only from now on. There's a market for a properly remastered version of the show so long as it's consumer friendly - a 'season' per release at a price that acknowledges the work put in but doesn't exceed its value.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:56 pm

Well, technically, there was never complete uncut 4:3 DVD release of Funimation dub.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:58 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:They won't do a new DVD release, there's no reason for them to. The Orange Bricks still fly off the shelves so why spend the money producing a new product?

Maybe they'd re-release the Dragon Boxes but that's really not likely considering how long it's been now.

They'll more than likely focus on Blu-Ray only from now on. There's a market for a properly remastered version of the show so long as it's consumer friendly - a 'season' per release at a price that acknowledges the work put in but doesn't exceed its value.
Pretty much agree with Ajay here. What else could Funimation possibly put out beyond what's already available and incoming (Buu arc of Kai)?

Though if any company was going to surprise us with another unneeded release on the DVD format my bets would certainly be on Funimation for outputting something, even if I think such an action is highly unlikely to begin with.
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:21 pm

Buu saga of Kai will likely be on both DVD and Blu-Ray. There's a slim chance we might get the DB and GT boxes, but I won't get your hopes up just yet.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:23 pm

Puto wrote:The Dragon Box masters are 480p; there's no logical reason to put those on Blu-ray. If FUNimation releases them, it will be on DVD.
True but if they used Blu-ray discs to store the DVD content inside to eliminate too much quantity it'd be great (not happening) and the discs would be more durable than a DVD.

Companies only release content on BD if it's in HD or upscaled so it's not likely as Kiddo pointed out.
samuraix123 wrote:Lord no! LOL They will keep re-releasing the series over and over and over until it stops making them money. I think Dragonball is a perfect example of a fantastic series. Why? Because we keep re-buying it over and over.(Well some of us do anyways. but it has to be because many others as well as myself keep buying them. because they wouldn't keep re-releasing them like they do if what I said wasn't true.)

Edit - I just want to add a bit more. It doesn't matter if Funimation or Toei came out with the most ultimate of ultimate release where the Japanese audio wasn't muffled etc etc and the quality was so amazing that it blew us out of our chair! Something later down the line would get released like Kai and we would be all over it. haha
Well, to be exact it's not really Dragon Ball but Dragon Ball Z.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:57 pm

C'mon bro :P you knew what I was getting at haha
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:48 pm

It would certainly be amusing if Z's time on DVD comes to an end with a release of the very beginning.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.