Why didn't Mr. Popo take down Daimao?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Wibbs
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Why didn't Mr. Popo take down Daimao?

Post by Wibbs » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:33 pm

ABED wrote:Then what good is Kami? What does he actually do?
He provides the earth with the DragonBalls, that's pretty useful I'd say. He also provides free Karate lessons so... that's a bonus I guess.

As for the Popo thing, I don't really think it would have been a good move to have some unexplained character come out of nowhere and completely wreck the.... vil... oh yeah... never mind.
Thanks to SSJ God Gogeta for the avatar.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:34 pm

Wibbs wrote:
He provides the earth with the DragonBalls, that's pretty useful I'd say. He also provides free Karate lessons so... that's a bonus I guess.

As for the Popo thing, I don't really think it would have been a good move to have some unexplained character come out of nowhere and completely wreck the.... vil... oh yeah, never mind.
Kami's existed prior to the DBs, and next to no one got lessons from him. Even Goku got the bulk of his training by Popo.

Was that last part a reference to Trunks?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Wibbs
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Wibbs » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:41 pm

ABED wrote:
Wibbs wrote:

As for the Popo thing, I don't really think it would have been a good move to have some unexplained character come out of nowhere and completely wreck the.... vil... oh yeah, never mind.
Kami's existed prior to the DBs, and next to no one got lessons from him. Even Goku got the bulk of his training by Popo.

Yeah you're right about that, it is kind of weird when I think about it. People go up there expecting training from Kami and get left with Popo. I suppose he does sometimes look down upon the Earth to check up on things like with Cell. He provides somewhat useful information in his own way.

Yeah, that last part was kind of poking fun at Trunks.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:47 pm

Wibbs wrote:
ABED wrote: Kami's existed prior to the DBs, and next to no one got lessons from him. Even Goku got the bulk of his training by Popo.

Yeah you're right about that, it is kind of weird when I think about it. People go up there expecting training from Kami and get left with Popo. I suppose he does sometimes look down upon the Earth to check up on things like with Cell. He provides somewhat useful information in his own way.

The best explanation for Kami I can guess is that he helps souls transition to the afterlife.

As for Trunks, that's not the same. If Popo came down in the middle of the Piccolo Daimao arc and saved the world, that's deus ex machine. Freeza was no longer the main villain, it was a different arc.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Wibbs
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Wibbs » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:50 pm

ABED wrote:
Wibbs wrote:
ABED wrote: Kami's existed prior to the DBs, and next to no one got lessons from him. Even Goku got the bulk of his training by Popo.

The best explanation for Kami I can guess is that he helps souls transition to the afterlife.

As for Trunks, that's not the same. If Popo came down in the middle of the Piccolo Daimao arc and saved the world, that's deus ex machine. Freeza was no longer the main villain, it was a different arc.
Does he? I though that was only for Goku.

I realise that, I have nothing against Trunks or his sudden appearance. I was having a bit of fun that's all.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:53 pm

I don't know, it was my best guess because otherwise that position is good for nothing. All we hear is that he does important things but we never see or hear what they are.
I realise that, I have nothing against Trunks or his sudden appearance. I was having a bit of fun that's all.
Ah, gotcha.

Wibbs
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Wibbs » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:00 pm

ABED wrote:
I don't know, it was my best guess because otherwise that position is good for nothing. All we hear is that he does important things but we never see or hear what they are.
Ah, gotcha.
That seems to conform with what my idea of what a God does, it would be nice if we got a little insight though. Maybe it's better that it's a mystery, keeping it vague is the less disappointing route to go.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:03 pm

Well, I think in this case, it's a good idea to get some clue as to his purpose.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:20 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:The same reason that Kaioshin never stopped Freeza, or that Goku spared Fat Buu. It wasn't his place.
Kaioshin is understandable. This isn't even his galaxy.

But, like Goku, Kami's reasoning is total bullshit, because he was the one who created Daimao.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:25 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:The same reason that Kaioshin never stopped Freeza, or that Goku spared Fat Buu. It wasn't his place.
Kaioshin is understandable. This isn't even his galaxy.

But, like Goku, Kami's reasoning is total bullshit, because he was the one who created Daimao.
Again with the knock against Goku, it was a retcon!

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:26 pm

Again with the excuses for Goku, it wasn't a retcon. If it was, it was a completely unnecessary and pointless one that did nothing but paint Goku's character, as he didn't need to be stronger than fatso for the final stretch of the story to work.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:28 pm

ABED wrote:Again with the knock against Goku, it was a retcon!
Prove that it was a retcon.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:30 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:Again with the excuses for Goku, it wasn't a retcon. If it was, it was a completely unnecessary and pointless one that did nothing but paint Goku's character, as he didn't need to be stronger than fatso for the final stretch of the story to work.
It was a retcon, AT didn't think up SS3, so Goku was fighting to his utmost leading to the release of Buu, and then to fight Buu on a level playing field many chapters later, he creates another level of Super Saiyan. It doesn't fit Goku's character to do something like that and leave it for someone else to clean up. He's done dangerous things like letting Vegeta go, but he always intended to fight him. Same with Piccolo, but inexplicably he decides to create a mess and force others to clean it up?

We know AT does things on the fly, and it doesn't fit Goku's character. Why in the world, besides bad writing, would Toriyama have Goku fight Vegeta like he did even though Goku knows he's feeding power to Buu if it wasn't a lack of forethought?

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:40 pm

Herms wrote:
He tried that in the 23rd Budokai arc with the Mafuba though.
I'd assume the idea there is that he's not going to die from using the Mafuba, since he's so much stronger than Mutaito/Kame-sennin were.

At any rate, he flat-out tells Goku when they first meet that gods can't commit suicide. So if the Mafuba really would have killed him then there's a bit of a plot hole there.
But it isn't even about using the Mafuba or not using the Mafuba at the 23rd Budokai. If he COULD have used the Mafuba without dying then why not just use it when Piccolo was taking over the earth the other two times?
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:41 pm

RocktheDragon wrote:
Herms wrote:
He tried that in the 23rd Budokai arc with the Mafuba though.
I'd assume the idea there is that he's not going to die from using the Mafuba, since he's so much stronger than Mutaito/Kame-sennin were.

At any rate, he flat-out tells Goku when they first meet that gods can't commit suicide. So if the Mafuba really would have killed him then there's a bit of a plot hole there.
But it isn't even about using the Mafuba or not using the Mafuba at the 23rd Budokai. If he COULD have used the Mafuba without dying then why not just use it when Piccolo was taking over the earth the other two times?
Maybe he only saw it once from Mutaito and couldn't figure out how to do it from just seeing it one time.

Wibbs
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Wibbs » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:49 pm

ABED wrote:Maybe he only saw it once from Mutaito and couldn't figure out how to do it from just seeing it one time.
Wouldn't it have taken a lot of practice though? Even seeing it twice wouldn't have made it any easier to learn. Then again that could just be like when Goku instantly learned the Kamehameha.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:52 pm

Wibbs wrote:
ABED wrote:Maybe he only saw it once from Mutaito and couldn't figure out how to do it from just seeing it one time.
Wouldn't it have taken a lot of practice though? Even seeing it twice wouldn't have made it any easier to learn. Then again that could just be like when Goku instantly learned the Kamehameha.
Goku's always been special in that way.

Think about it your own life, if you see something multiple times, isn't it easier to figure out?

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:54 pm

ABED wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:Again with the excuses for Goku, it wasn't a retcon. If it was, it was a completely unnecessary and pointless one that did nothing but paint Goku's character, as he didn't need to be stronger than fatso for the final stretch of the story to work.
It was a retcon, AT didn't think up SS3, so Goku was fighting to his utmost leading to the release of Buu, and then to fight Buu on a level playing field many chapters later, he creates another level of Super Saiyan. It doesn't fit Goku's character to do something like that and leave it for someone else to clean up. He's done dangerous things like letting Vegeta go, but he always intended to fight him. Same with Piccolo, but inexplicably he decides to create a mess and force others to clean it up?

We know AT does things on the fly, and it doesn't fit Goku's character. Why in the world, besides bad writing, would Toriyama have Goku fight Vegeta like he did even though Goku knows he's feeding power to Buu if it wasn't a lack of forethought?
SS3 premiered only a few chapters after Goku and Vegeta stopped fighting. There's no freaking way Toriyama is THAT unprepared. You've done nothing to prove it was a retcon, you just keep making things up to defend Goku. Even if it was, that doesn't change what is written in the story. The story and Toriyama by proxy intentionally and explicitly portrays Goku in this way, for no reason other than to characterize him.

I'd also like to note that SS3 itself was UNNECESSARY; Goku didn't need to distract fatso, Trunks didn't need to lose the radar, and at this point he wasn't even supposed to fight Pure Buu. If it really was a retcon, as you claim, then it was a pointless one.

Toriyama says it is.

Letting Vegeta, Piccolo, and Freeza go was beyond dumb and dangerous. He could easily beat one of them, MAYBE beat another (it was close and he won by surprise and luck the first team), and definitely couldn't beat the last. In all cases, he's risking them just nuking the planet from far away, which he would be helpless to stop.

Because Goku knew fusion, and just like Vegeta, he might have just thought that Buu would be nothing significant even if he did get released, ignoring Kaioshin's warnings.

I never see that point brought up. Why should he intervene? Because King Piccolo is his responsibility. He unleashed him on the world then did nothing and let the Earthlings die because he wanted a position of power, but none of the responsibility that came with it?
Last edited by RandomGuy96 on Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:

Wibbs
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Wibbs » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:55 pm

ABED wrote:
Wibbs wrote:
Goku's always been special in that way.

Think about it your own life, if you see something multiple times, isn't it easier to figure out?
Yeah I guess he has, I just though that maybe Nameks were quick to learn as well.

That is true, I'll give you that. But two times seeing it, from a distance too. I don't know it seems a little... I don't want to say implausible but it does seem a little far fetched.

Wibbs
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Wibbs » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:58 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote: Letting Vegeta, Piccolo, and Freeza go was beyond dumb and dangerous. He could easily beat one of them, MAYBE beat another (it was close and he won by surprise and luck the first team), and definitely couldn't beat the last. In all cases, he's risking them just nuking the planet from far away, which he would be helpless to stop.
It was a dumb thing to do, yes. But that's Goku's character, he likes to fight strong opponents.