Girlfriend-friendly db stuff?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Girlfriend-friendly db stuff?

Post by Black_Liger » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:02 am

She has seen db sometimes and she likes it, she would like to watch it with me but I'm not sure which would be the most girl-friendly stuff.

Maybe the classic db? Battle of gods? movies? specials? anything would help :P. I'll update on her reaction after watching with her. :P
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Darknat
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Girlfriend-friendly db stuff?

Post by Darknat » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:31 am

Black_Liger wrote:She has seen db sometimes and she likes it, she would like to watch it with me but I'm not sure which would be the most girl-friendly stuff.

Maybe the classic db? Battle of gods? movies? specials? anything would help :P. I'll update on her reaction after watching with her. :P
Why not everything? My girlfriend likes Dragon Ball as well and she wanted to watch everything from the start. Of course there are parts she enjoys better than others, but for the most part she likes everything.

In the case of my girlfriend, she prefers the early stuff with more humor, and she's enojoying the Buu saga in Kai as well. She usually doesn't like movies that much.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:44 am

I'd say that the best place to start is the beginning. You should get into the story the way it was meant to be enjoyed. That's what I did with my current girlfriend and DB is now her favorite anime, even above the greats like FMA and Cowboy Bebop. Granted, DB is tied with FMA as my favorite anime, so we're similar in that respect, but that's beside the point. Also, once she reaches the Z stuff, you'll have to decide between the original Z or Kai; do you want her to see it with superior Japanese acting and music placement of Z or with the improved pacing of Kai? And will you be showing the Japanese version or the dub? If you go with the dub then Kai is probably your best bet. I hope this helps!
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:13 am

I'd say just start her off at the very beginning of Dragon Ball. Heck, I'd say that for anyone looking to get anyone else into the series nowadays - we finally have easy access to the entire franchise from the beginning to it's end, we may as well make use of that. :mrgreen:
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:27 am

Anything. Dragon Ball, Z, Kai, whatever. She'll love it.

My 'Newcomer's Thoughts' thread is based around showing my SO the series properly for the first time.

It's all pretty friendly.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:34 am

The beginning is definitely the best place to start.

Karrit
Beyond Newbie

Post by Karrit » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:12 am

I agree you should start from the beginning. I'm a girl, but I love DB and can appreciate both the action and the humor. I liked Dragonball, but watched it off and on. It wasn't until I watched it consecutively on Toonami with my boyfriend that I really got into it. We were watching the Goku vs Vegeta fight of the Saiyan arc. I think I was able to get into it easily because I practice martial arts in real life and I liked Toriyama's unique art style. It's obvious anime, but it stands out.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:14 am

The whole series is pretty "girl-friendly" (and boy-friendly, and so on), so I don't think you'll really have a problem with that.

If you're looking for just a general starting point, it has to be the beginning of the series (manga or cartoon). Like others have said, there's no better place. Alternatively, I would suggest the tenth anniversary movie if you want to give her a good, short introduction to the series. My girlfriend isn't a fan of subtitled films at all and yet she was invested the entire time.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:53 am

Tinesha and myself always watch Dbz or Db together. So I'm sure Db is gf friendly. Hell she even sometimes make fan service on male characters when they lose their shirt or powering up. She has a Woman crush on Chi Chi.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:36 am

Depends on how much time the two of you have to sit through an anime in the 100s.
If you have all the time in the world, definitely go Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, and Dragon Ball GT (if you plan on doing this or not)

Mixing DB with Kai is not something I'd recommend, personally. It's a clash of styles. Of course, you decide where to see the Movies and Specials.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Darknat
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Darknat » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:57 pm

About the movies I watch them in chronological order using Kanzenshuu movie and tv shows guides. I recommend following Dragon Ball with Dragon Ball Z instead of Kai, even some of the filler is enjoyable.

xmysticgohanx
Regular

Post by xmysticgohanx » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:41 pm

I would start with Kai because it's more action packed than the first half of DB.
Canon is Jaco, Dragon Ball except for EoZ, Dragon Ball Super anime and manga (both are separate canons)
Kai >>> Z
Current Roshi/Kulilin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SSJ3 Gotenks

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:01 pm

How "girly" is your girlfriend? What kind of anime does she like? Does she like action, romance, humor, etc?

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:23 pm

For my wife it was all about starting from DBZ. I was getting the DBoxes at the time and we watched up around the Cell tournament. She really enjoyed the story but thought that the anime took way too much time for it to be very satisfying.

That's why when we finally got around to Kai she really really enjoyed the series. At the same time we watched all of Dragon Ball and that was her favorite! She loved the adventures that Goku went through as a kid, but most of all she loved the character of young Son Goku. It helps that Goku is such a cutie when he is that young, and he is really lovable. I'd definitely start with the original Dragon Ball anime with your girlfriend now that I can look back at it all.

Also, she thought that the Bardock special was one of the highlights of all DB or DBZ. But definitely go into that with the right context (watch DBZ or Kai, watch DB) and it'll payoff big time!
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:11 am

Alirght guys! mission accomplished!.

I wanted to watch db with her, but she had an itch to watch boG, I explained some of the lore but was pleasantly surprised when she knew about the super saiyan multipliers and the events of buu saga, so she was never lost in boG.

So what's her reaction?

She was laughing a lot during the movie, she loved Beerus a whole lot and was actually worried he might get killed at the end because of being the movie's bad guy. She pretty much laughed at ever joke in the movie, she almost lost it at the part where Vegeta danced, she loved the part when Videl revealed she was pregnant and actually kissed me over this scene so I think it got to her XD. She also cheered on Vegeta when he said "NOBODY TOUCHES MY BULMA". She liked it when Vegeta gave beerus a little punishment. She was constantly asking about the super saiyan god and who he was, so she was pleased when Shen Long revealed about him, she liked Goku's SSG form and was surprised when he lost it, but was pleased when Beerus explained how Goku retained his power, she went silence when she thought Goku had lost against Beerus but when he managed to absorb Beerus' blast she didn't even know what was happening, but in the black screen where everyone shouted Goku's name she laughed because Vegeta was the only one calling him kakarot. After this, she mostly liked it when Beerus ate the wasabi, she loled because she ate sushi for the first time some months ago and she knows about wasabi, so she was itching for beerus to eat it and when he went RAGE MODE she lost it XD. She loved the ending and the interaction between Goku, Bulma, Vegeta and Piccolo.

After this, she wants more, she even asked me about some aspects of the buu saga and how it lead to BoG, she also talked a little about GT, next time, We are gonna watch a classic db movie (possibly path to power)

She doesn't like Kai, so Imma feed her movies because we only see each other every friday.

Thanks for your recommendations, once I watch more with her I'll post her reactions :)
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.