Missed chance - no Dragon Ball

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

coola
I Live Here

Missed chance - no Dragon Ball

Post by coola » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:23 am

Personally, i would forgive bad redrawn scenes, and odd choices of filler/original material balance, if only Toei decided to include original Dragon Ball in Kai, it was such missed opportunity, i tried to watch original DB, but, voice iss really muffled, not to mention, maybe original Dragon Ball would finally get attention it deserved in USA (Since, according to TFS "No body watched Dragon Ball")
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Flame Dragon
Regular

Re: Missed chance - no Dragon Ball

Post by Flame Dragon » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:29 am

In my opinion, watching Dragon Ball first makes moments like Piccolo's Redemptions or Krillin's death much more powerful.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:04 am

Oh, yeah, totally agree. I actually saw Dragon Ball first (on the Bricks) and never did this "Z first" thing. I also easily convinced my friend to start with the first series. Seriously, I don't understand how so many people can skip over an important part of the series.

And Kai........Why did they even call it Dragon Ball Kai if it didn't even cover the original? The international name Dragon Ball Z Kai makes a lot more sense, and isn't lying to the consumer's face.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Looneygamemaster
Beyond Newbie

Post by Looneygamemaster » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:30 pm

Personally, I'm glad Toei didn't put their Kai axe to the original show. If Kai can be called good, it's because its bad qualities somehow cancel out Z's bad qualities. You wouldn't get that with Dragon Ball.

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:46 pm

coola wrote:Personally, i would forgive bad redrawn scenes, and odd choices of filler/original material balance, if only Toei decided to include original Dragon Ball in Kai, it was such missed opportunity, i tried to watch original DB, but, voice iss really muffled, not to mention, maybe original Dragon Ball would finally get attention it deserved in USA (Since, according to TFS "No body watched Dragon Ball")
Are the muffled voices in DB really such a big deal to make it unwatchable? I watched the entire series with my wife several months ago, and we never had any problem with the audio quality. It is what it is, and I really don't think DB needed a Kai treatment the same way that the DBZ anime did.
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:46 pm

Flame Dragon wrote:In my opinion, watching Dragon Ball first makes moments like Piccolo's Redemptions or Krillin's death much more powerful.
It definitely does. You can get a lot more out of the whole series by watching DB first. It's a bit sad that it's so neglected, back then and even now.
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:59 pm

RocktheDragon wrote:
coola wrote:Personally, i would forgive bad redrawn scenes, and odd choices of filler/original material balance, if only Toei decided to include original Dragon Ball in Kai, it was such missed opportunity, i tried to watch original DB, but, voice iss really muffled, not to mention, maybe original Dragon Ball would finally get attention it deserved in USA (Since, according to TFS "No body watched Dragon Ball")
Are the muffled voices in DB really such a big deal to make it unwatchable? I watched the entire series with my wife several months ago, and we never had any problem with the audio quality. It is what it is, and I really don't think DB needed a Kai treatment the same way that the DBZ anime did.
To give the original DB anime the "Kai" treatment, they'd be much better off re-animating it from scratch. Which will never happen.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:33 am

Looneygamemaster wrote:Personally, I'm glad Toei didn't put their Kai axe to the original show. If Kai can be called good, it's because its bad qualities somehow cancel out Z's bad qualities. You wouldn't get that with Dragon Ball.
Surprised to see this. I'm watching the original Dragon Ball anime for the first time ever after being a manga fan for years. I think the pacing is terrible (largely due to filler and general padding), and the dialog could stand to be tightened up too. Don't even get me started on the completely unwatchable dub.

The manga was so well-executed, there's no reason the anime couldn't be. Then again, I'm a huge fan of Kai, so what do I know?
「恨むんならてめえの運命を恨むんだな··· このオレのように···」

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:36 am

EmmaWinters wrote:
The manga was so well-executed, there's no reason the anime couldn't be. Then again, I'm a huge fan of Kai, so what do I know?
Because Toei, that's why.
Wish they would sell One Piece and DB to an animation company that actually gives a shit, like BONES.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:54 am

EmmaWinters wrote: The manga was so well-executed, there's no reason the anime couldn't be.
It was a weekly, long-running anime adapting a weekly, long-running manga with 14 pages a week and very very long story arcs with little room for original side adventures to be inserted. There wasn't really any way to adapt it outside stretching out the material the way they did.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:03 pm

Adamant wrote:
EmmaWinters wrote: The manga was so well-executed, there's no reason the anime couldn't be.
It was a weekly, long-running anime adapting a weekly, long-running manga with 14 pages a week and very very long story arcs with little room for original side adventures to be inserted. There wasn't really any way to adapt it outside stretching out the material the way they did.
I got a solution: maybe stop being a whore money and actually make the show in seasons like... you know... the rest of the world?
Or if seasons are not your cup of the tea, just make the anime after the manga is over.

Oh sorry i forgot that then they won't be able to milk the cow from the manga fanbase and the merchandise... how silly of me.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:57 pm

Sure am glad they didn't include Dragon Ball because they'd fuck it up with the cropping, although on the Blu-rays it'd be 4x3 AR at least, though there'd then be the issue of music fitting into the series and not just a generic modern soundtrack like the Majin Boo arc has now.
Flame Dragon wrote:I got a solution: maybe stop being a whore money and actually make the show in seasons like... you know... the rest of the world?
The rest of the world... You mean US? They're the ones who mostly use the Season format whereas the rest tend to go with soap operas without thinking of seasons format. Even to this day Brazil still makes shitty soap operas, with mediocre acting, shaky cam, overly repetitive music, screaming all at once and takes like 500 episodes to end.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:24 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:Sure am glad they didn't include Dragon Ball because they'd fuck it up with the cropping, although on the Blu-rays it'd be 4x3 AR at least, though there'd then be the issue of music fitting into the series and not just a generic modern soundtrack like the Majin Boo arc has now.
Flame Dragon wrote:I got a solution: maybe stop being a whore money and actually make the show in seasons like... you know... the rest of the world?
The rest of the world... You mean US? They're the ones who mostly use the Season format whereas the rest tend to go with soap operas without thinking of seasons format. Even to this day Brazil still makes shitty soap operas, with mediocre acting, shaky cam, overly repetitive music, screaming all at once and takes like 500 episodes to end.
That is very true. Korea tend to make Korean Dramas which are very popular. Not sure if they're seasons rather than "NEW CAST", "NEW EPISODES", "New Section", "MORE STORY", or my personal favorite "EVEN BETTER THAN THE LAST"

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:37 am

Flame Dragon wrote:I got a solution: maybe stop being a whore money and actually make the show in seasons like... you know... the rest of the world?.
Then they'd lose their timeslot and the show would have no set airing-time anymore.

Now I'm not saying that I agree with how Japanese broadcasting-standards work, but one can hardly blame Toei for adhering to Fuji TV's rules.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:33 am

Dragonball Z is a global powerhouse brand for Toei - whereas the original series isn't. If Kai was ever going to be about artistic merit and not profit making then it would have made sense for them to have went from the start, but that was never going to be the case.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:31 pm

RocktheDragon wrote:You can get a lot more out of the whole series by watching DB first.
Imagine if Toei hadn't gone for a name change and just kept the same title for the entire thing like the manga did. It's so bizarre that the above even needs to be said; it's like saying "You can get a lot more out of the last four seasons of Buffy by watching seasons 1-3 first".
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:23 am

The Tori-bot wrote: Imagine if Toei hadn't gone for a name change and just kept the same title for the entire thing like the manga did. It's so bizarre that the above even needs to be said; it's like saying "You can get a lot more out of the last four seasons of Buffy by watching seasons 1-3 first".
I totally agree that you miss out on interesting character relationships and back stories but having Goku's long lost brother come out of nowhere and tell him he's a super fighting alien and then the series becoming almost exclusively about said super fighting aliens is a pretty fresh start all things considered.

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:52 pm

Meh. Even if they did the original DB first, people wouldn't care much for it. Heck, in the US, DB didn't do much in the past when it was on Toonami, and I DOUBT there'll be a difference if the "Kaied" original one now. If anything, some people would just rather wait for Z Kai after DB Kai or if they are gonna do a DB Kai after Z Kai, people aren't gonna be interested in it.

I may like the original DB, but I honestly don't blame some fans for skipping DB, cuz it can be a bit too silly. Sure Z can be a bit too serious, but sometimes serious=mo' money. Same goes for Naruto and One Piece, the sequels get more famous than their first halfs because it got right into the nitty gritty, while keeping some of its comedy aspects.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:31 pm

EXBadguy wrote:I may like the original DB, but I honestly don't blame some fans for skipping DB, cuz it can be a bit too silly. Sure Z can be a bit too serious, but sometimes serious=mo' money. Same goes for Naruto and One Piece, the sequels get more famous than their first halfs because it got right into the nitty gritty, while keeping some of its comedy aspects.
Dragon Ball had its moments of relaxation, comedy, an episode dedicated to Dr. Slump and then to what Z's known for, battling bad dudes wherever they are.

The ending of Dragon Ball episode 153 had a sequel-bait as they already intended the next one to take place five years after. It'd have been interesting if they had just ended without a continuation.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:41 pm

Ok, the whole "Dragon Ball is silly" thing needs to be put to rest. Everything except the first 13 episodes is actually fairly serious. Heck, when King Piccolo shows up, it's pretty much all fighting.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."