Will FUNimation stop using Faulconer for future Z releases?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Will FUNimation stop using Faulconer for future Z releas

Post by thomas1up » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:42 am

LordCrumb wrote:
As for the Dragon Box, it doesn't make any sense to just have the English and Jap audio, because if it was truly designed as a "hardcore fan" product, it wouldn't have had an English dialog track at all, as those "hardcore" fans despise the English track.
The funi dragon boxes were advertised as for the hardcore fan but what they really meant was it was for fans of the Japanese version, as a result having a US replacement score would contradict the whole keeping close to the original.

Also I think they added English dub last minute because I believe they had to include a dub of some sort but I could be wrong.
thomas1up are fuckin terrible and need to fuck off asap all the other noobs are decent thouhg
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:40 am

Black_Anime_Fan wrote:God I hope not! The Faulconer score just holds a special place in my heart, and I'm sure nostalgia has a big part in it, I just love it, especially in the Freeza and early Android Saga. And in all honesty, I just can't listen to the original FUNi dub with the original soundtrack.
Lool why? In my opinion the dub sounds better with the Japanese music. The only thing that I don't like about watching the dub with the Japanese music is Toei took out the insert songs so there's always a awkward silence when the song is suppose to play for example the scene in where gohan turns ssj2 in the cell games.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:50 am

JEFFMAN219 wrote:
Black_Anime_Fan wrote:God I hope not! The Faulconer score just holds a special place in my heart, and I'm sure nostalgia has a big part in it, I just love it, especially in the Freeza and early Android Saga. And in all honesty, I just can't listen to the original FUNi dub with the original soundtrack.
Lool why? In my opinion the dub sounds better with the Japanese music. The only thing that I don't like about watching the dub with the Japanese music is Toei took out the insert songs so there's always a awkward silence when the song is suppose to play for example the scene in where gohan turns ssj2 in the cell games.
That scene sucks so bad in the dub. It's not so bad with the Faulconer BGM but it's terrible with the silence.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:51 am

Fizzer wrote:
JEFFMAN219 wrote:
Lool why? In my opinion the dub sounds better with the Japanese music. The only thing that I don't like about watching the dub with the Japanese music is Toei took out the insert songs so there's always an awkward silence when the song is suppose to play for example the scene in where gohan turns ssj2 in the cell games.
That scene sucks so bad in the dub. It's not so bad with the Faulconer BGM but it's terrible with the silence.
Ya I remember watching that scene on the dragon box and was disappointed that they removed the song. Even in the trunks flashback and piccolo death scene was ruined because the insert songs were removed.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:55 am

What I meant by excluding Faulconer/Nathan from the future Z releases is simply because it's replacement music and FUNimation just doesn't need to still use that outdated system any more as all anime nowadays that they release contains the official score (Kai um.. It had the proper score for Parts 1-4 and then Parts 5-8 with replacement by Toei).

I do like Faulconer music but the way they handled it on the series it was unprofessional and there wasn't needed for constant music always neither.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Weejus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Weejus » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:10 am

I doubt they will, nor do I want them to. I do consider the Faulconer Productions score a mixed bag, as in the action scenes are accompanied by great songs that do their job very well, but the lack of silence, the awful songs used in peaceful scenes, and the droning ambience of the soundtrack used in the Freeza arc ruin it. However, there's a certain something about the FP score that makes it special to me, plus I can't imagine watching the dub with the Kikuchi score, even if the Kikuchi score is better overall.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:42 am

Weejus wrote:I doubt they will, nor do I want them to. I do consider the Faulconer Productions score a mixed bag, as in the action scenes are accompanied by great songs that do their job very well, but the lack of silence, the awful songs used in peaceful scenes, and the droning ambience of the soundtrack used in the Freeza arc ruin it. However, there's a certain something about the FP score that makes it special to me, plus I can't imagine watching the dub with the Kikuchi score, even if the Kikuchi score is better overall.
But why would you not watch the dub with the kukichi score? Its no different then watching the Dragon Ball dub which only has the kukichi score in it.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:19 pm

JEFFMAN219 wrote:
Weejus wrote:I doubt they will, nor do I want them to. I do consider the Faulconer Productions score a mixed bag, as in the action scenes are accompanied by great songs that do their job very well, but the lack of silence, the awful songs used in peaceful scenes, and the droning ambience of the soundtrack used in the Freeza arc ruin it. However, there's a certain something about the FP score that makes it special to me, plus I can't imagine watching the dub with the Kikuchi score, even if the Kikuchi score is better overall.
But why would you not watch the dub with the kukichi score? Its no different then watching the Dragon Ball dub which only has the kukichi score in it.
The Dragonball dub was made with the intention of keeping Kikuchi from the start. The Z dub had certain lines put in with the intention of having the dub score go along with them like when Krillin makes a comment about wishing he'd become a shoe salesman. Also the DB dub seemed to remove less insert songs, at least from my experience.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:52 pm

90sDBZ wrote: The Dragonball dub was made with the intention of keeping Kikuchi from the start. The Z dub had certain lines put in with the intention of having the dub score go along with them like when Krillin makes a comment about wishing he'd become a shoe salesman. Also the DB dub seemed to remove less insert songs, at least from my experience.
That is true, I have heard people say the English dub with JP score can be awkward at times when it wasn't originally intended. Same applies to the Kikuchi music in Kai. That's probably more people simply being used to a certain voice / music combination, however. Technically, more Insert Songs were removed in Dragon Ball, but it had a lot more to begin with. Proportionately, however, you are correct.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

SSJ6Goku
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ6Goku » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:47 pm

Who did the toonami music? that was my favorite!

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:54 pm

I certainly hope so. Outright removing the score entirely would be the smartest thing they could do with the franchise in my opinion. Nostalgic fans be damned. Give them the Japanese score and only the Japanese score. If the fans don't like it, too bad. Make them adjust.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:07 pm

KentalSSJ6 wrote:I certainly hope so. Outright removing the score entirely would be the smartest thing they could do with the franchise in my opinion. Nostalgic fans be damned. Give them the Japanese score and only the Japanese score. If the fans don't like it, too bad. Make them adjust.
That really wouldn't be the smartest thing for them to do, they'd loose a lot of sales from Faulconer fans and it won't boost sales in anyway, as a company it'd be a dumb decision.

Besides as much as I hate the Faulconer score if people like it I'm not gonna stop them from enjoying it, it's like if I went into a restaraunt, chucked their food on the floor, replaced it with my own and told them to adjust to it.
thomas1up are fuckin terrible and need to fuck off asap all the other noobs are decent thouhg
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:20 pm

KentalSSJ6 wrote:I certainly hope so. Outright removing the score entirely would be the smartest thing they could do with the franchise in my opinion. Nostalgic fans be damned. Give them the Japanese score and only the Japanese score. If the fans don't like it, too bad. Make them adjust.
I really don't see the problem. Their releases have both Japanese and BF score and the Japanese score is the default score too. Does it truly bother you that people other then yourself listen and like the BF score?

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:33 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
I really don't see the problem. Their releases have both Japanese and BF score and the Japanese score is the default score too. Does it truly bother you that people other then yourself listen and like the BF score?
Yeah, this is what I don't get. If you're a fan of the Japanese version, the existence of the Japanese score doesn't have one iota of an impact of your enjoyment of the series. Regardless of whether it should've existed in the context of anime in 2014, it does exist, it has for the last 15 years, and no amount of "erasing" it will change how long it's endured in the fanbase and how many people enjoy it. Demanding it be gone because you don't like it is awfully selfish. Unless Dragon Ball Z gets a completely new dub, getting rid of the music would be nothing more than a superficial bandage, anyway.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:39 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Yeah, this is what I don't get. If you're a fan of the Japanese version, the existence of the Japanese score doesn't have one iota of an impact of your enjoyment of the series. Regardless of whether it should've existed in the context of anime in 2014, it does exist, it has for the last 15 years, and no amount of "erasing" it will change how long it's endured in the fanbase and how many people enjoy it. Demanding it be gone because you don't like it is awfully selfish. Unless Dragon Ball Z gets a completely new dub, getting rid of the music would be nothing more than a superficial bandage, anyway.
Yup I completely agree, the Faulconer track drives a lot of sales, removing the track would make people who enjoy it not buy it and ultimately make another cancelled DBZ home release.
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:24 pm

Oh please, give me a break and speak for yourself. I love the original score as much as the next guy, but do you really think the best option for fans who grew up to love the American score is to "make them adjust"? Sorry to tell you but that's A LOT easier said than done. I prefer having a multiple options, and if we're limited to just one, then there goes 50% of potential buyers, including myself.
Goku wrote:You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!
DBZ ended after the Frieza Saga.

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:24 pm

LordCrumb wrote:Being rude? I guess there is a big difference in what I consider rude and what you might then. Let's refine it to 'certain' members constantly belittle the Faulconer music.
You definitely were not being rude, just merely observing a fact of this forum. Your original statement didn't even blanket cover the whole forum, you only stated that such viewpoints are found here (which is, a fact).

In terms of addressing the OP, I'd say that it would be an unintelligent move to exclude the Faulconer soundtrack in future releases. A large amount of DBZ fans in the U.S. love that score, so to take it out would be a wrong move financially for Funimation.
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:54 pm

I agree with what has been said about it not being a very intelligent move financially. Apart from the Dragon Boxes and perhaps the Level Sets, all of FUNi's releases have pretty much been aimed at the Toonami crowd. Especially these most recent Blu-ray's. Those trailers scream "come and get your nostalgia fix!" I think the closest you're going to get is the fact that FUNi (or at least many of the VA's) have admitted that many of the choices made for handling the show back in the day were just plain bad. I've always thought is was interesting that ever since the orange bricks, FUNi has always made the default audio on all of the DB releases the dub with the original score. I think that's about as far a step in the right direction as profits will allow at this point. Even then, there were still people complaining because they had to press three buttons to hear the music they remembered.

Tatakae!!Ramenman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatakae!!Ramenman » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:16 pm

Why do you want to exclude other Dragon ball Z fans? The dub with the japanese music was the default setting for the season sets on dvd and the new blu rays, so why does the fact that it's on the disc bother you so much if it's just included as an extra audio track and not the default one? Are you that upset that there are people who watch the show in a different way than you? Shouldn't all Dragon Ball fans be able to watch the version of the show they like? And also, I think the reason that the dub with the japanese music got to be the default track on the orange bricks in 2007 was that they wanted a 5.1 surround sound track to be the default (the faulconer score was done in stereo and it would be a lot of work to go back and open up all the old files and change the music to 5.1, especially since they weren't even employing Faulconer at that point anymore), but after Kai, I think it has become more about staying true to the original version as much as possible.
Neo died for our smiths.