Was Trunks still more powerful than Goten at the End of Z?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Angelus
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Was Trunks still more powerful than Goten at the End of Z?

Post by Angelus » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:00 am

Or was it only in the Buu saga?

Did they become equals or was Goten always a step behind?

Kaboom

Re: Was Trunks still more powerful than Goten at the End of

Post by Kaboom » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:09 am

Who knows, really? All we know is that they both slacked off, even as early as the 2008 special. The guidebooks even make a point to mention how because they haven't trained much, their power hasn't noticeably improved. But it doesn't say whether the 'Goten < Trunks' remained as the status quo.
Daizenshuu #2 'Growing Up' guide wrote:
YOUNG ADULTHOOD (GOTEN)
First Appears: Vol. 42

Ten years after the battle with Majin Buu, Goten had completely become a young man, and had changed his hair as well. Since peace had thrown off his training, power-wise he hasn't had any explosive growth since when he was a boy.

(TRUNKS) 10 YEARS LATER
First Appears: Vol. 42

Having fully become an adult, he is now at about the same age as adult Trunks. Since he doesn't train very often, he hasn't explosively powered up.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Darkron2151
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Darkron2151 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:45 pm

I still have the gap between the two the same as it was in the Buu Saga (Post ROSAT), just to keep things simple :P . However, I have them slightly stronger than their Buu Saga selves, just because of them going through puberty and getting bigger, and maybe more durable, adult bodies. I also see how that logic could help explain why Gohan didn't any strength during the seven year gap. Either way, their all about as rusty as a farmer's pickup truck :lol: .

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:20 pm

It was never confirmed but I think Trunks was still stronger.
Goten was afraid of fighting Buu and Goku said it was his fault for not training enough. Trunks was sure of himself. I will take this. ´

Pan beating Goten doesn't count. Goten was chilling out.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

singsing
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by singsing » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:38 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:It was never confirmed but I think Trunks was still stronger.
Goten was afraid of fighting Buu and Goku said it was his fault for not training enough. Trunks was sure of himself. I will take this. ´

Pan beating Goten doesn't count. Goten was chilling out.
Maybe Trunks is just more arrogant/confident in general? That's basically how it was in childhood anyways, and it didn't seem like Trunks would have done much more training given his involvement with the family company.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:22 pm

Goten still trains a bit with Goku. Does Trunks train with Vegeta?

Diotor
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diotor » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:12 am

Marco Polo wrote:Goten still trains a bit with Goku. Does Trunks train with Vegeta?
I don't think it's ever shown. So...possibly?

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:29 pm

Marco Polo wrote:Goten still trains a bit with Goku. Does Trunks train with Vegeta?
Vegeta did start training him in the very beginning of Boo arc, so I would say that he does train with Vegeta after Boo's death, but not a lot, just like Goten.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:09 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Pan beating Goten doesn't count. Goten was chilling out.
Plus it's a filler.

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:11 am

I would say that Goten closed the gap between the two as his father would have trained him way more than Vegeta would to Trunks. Goku was just excited to be with his family again. Of course, Goten was curious of this new man in his life, and decided to play along with this rigorous training, until the age of 17 where it slows down because of girls, and stuff.

I would think that Vegeta would train his kid from time to time to keep him on his toes, but Mr Briefs needs a successor too, so...

Goten is isolated in the mountains, and flies back home from school. No prepping to run a huge corporation for him, and Chichi likes the fact that Goten trains.

So, Goten could have trained instead of study like his older brother. And may have even closed the gap.
My theory is that he is slightly ahead of Trunks.

It's hard to tell with Trunks' always confident smile, and Goten's bitching.
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

singsing
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by singsing » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:17 pm

Gokuden wrote:I would say that Goten closed the gap between the two as his father would have trained him way more than Vegeta would to Trunks. Goku was just excited to be with his family again. Of course, Goten was curious of this new man in his life, and decided to play along with this rigorous training, until the age of 17 where it slows down because of girls, and stuff.

I would think that Vegeta would train his kid from time to time to keep him on his toes, but Mr Briefs needs a successor too, so...

Goten is isolated in the mountains, and flies back home from school. No prepping to run a huge corporation for him, and Chichi likes the fact that Goten trains.

So, Goten could have trained instead of study like his older brother. And may have even closed the gap.

It's hard to tell with Trunks' always confident smile, and Goten's bitching.
Wait wait, Chichi LIKES training? Where was this in the manga again?

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:15 pm

singsing wrote:
Gokuden wrote:

quote]

The Daizenshuu stated he trained under Chi-Chi, the total opposite of Gohan.
Not everything is seen in the manga.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

singsing
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by singsing » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:45 pm

Gokuden wrote:
singsing wrote:
Gokuden wrote:

quote]

The Daizenshuu stated he trained under Chi-Chi, the total opposite of Gohan.
Not everything is seen in the manga.
But that was when he was a kid, this is talking about EoZ. Also, training with him years ago =/= liking that he trains.

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:31 am

singsing wrote: Quote
Well, with Gohan studying to get a Phd, and fooling around with Videl, I would see Goku being bored without any action. He could find that joy in training Goten, whipping him into shape, until buu reincarnate comes along.

It's not like Goten had any friends.
This man is my hero:

Angelus
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Angelus » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:03 am

Gokuden wrote:
Well, with Gohan studying to get a Phd, and fooling around with Videl, I would see Goku being bored without any action. He could find that joy in training Goten, whipping him into shape, until buu reincarnate comes along.

Goten seems to be a playboy. I betcha he has lots of friends with benefits with all these dates he's on and all that impressive power he has.

singsing
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by singsing » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:09 pm

Gokuden wrote:

What does Goku training Goten have to do with Chichi enjoying the fact that her son trains?

Also, I agree with above, Goten definitely seems like the kind of kid who'd have friends, or at least contacts and people to hang out with.

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:18 am

singsing wrote:
Gokuden wrote:

What does Goku training Goten have to do with Chichi enjoying the fact that her son trains?

Also, I agree with above, Goten definitely seems like the kind of kid who'd have friends, or at least contacts and people to hang out with.
She likes to watch from the kitchen window as she does the dishes, secretely wishing she was Goten.

You asked a question, I gave you an answer, Chichi would like Goten training, this is evidence by the fact that she prioritized his training over studies when he was a kid.
What more do you expect from this thread? Beyond the Daizenshuu there is just speculation and 'inmyheadcanon' going around.
Do you have anything to refute my claim that Chichi likes training Goten with any proof?
Angelus wrote:
Gokuden wrote:

Goten seems to be a playboy. I betcha he has lots of friends with benefits with all these dates he's on and all that impressive power he has.
In GT, he does seem to have a few things going for him, based on what Toei turned him into. But, we don't know for sure at the end of Z. Goten is still innocent until proven guilty, and given an adult character in the upcoming games. I'm sure 7 year-olds like to play with boys though, given coodies and such, but this is mere speculation. The hair @ EoZ is discerning.
This man is my hero:

singsing
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by singsing » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:40 pm

You asked a question, I gave you an answer, Chichi would like Goten training, this is evidence by the fact that she prioritized his training over studies when he was a kid.
What more do you expect from this thread? Beyond the Daizenshuu there is just speculation and 'inmyheadcanon' going around.
Do you have anything to refute my claim that Chichi likes training Goten with any proof?
I asked a question that you answered with something completely irrelevant. Goku =/= Chichi. You said Chichi trained him as a kid. I agreed, but said that was when Goten was a kid, not at EoZ, like now. You respond by saying Goku.
Do YOU have anything to prove that Chichi likes training Goten? Not "evidence", but straight up proof.

See, I can do that too.
Last edited by singsing on Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:45 pm

singsing wrote:
I asked a question that you answered with something completely irrelevant. Goku =/= Chichi.
Do YOU have anything to prove that Chichi likes training Goten? Not "evidence", but straight up proof.

See, I can do that too.
Evidence = Proof. You cannot change the definition of a synonymous word just because it isn't convienent for your argument.
Yes, she trained Goten as stated in the Daizenshuu. Why did she train him if she hated training for Goten?

Evidence decides matters in court arguments, proof is evidence.
This man is my hero:

singsing
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by singsing » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:50 pm

Gokuden wrote:
singsing wrote:
I asked a question that you answered with something completely irrelevant. Goku =/= Chichi.

See, I can do that too.
Evidence = Proof. You cannot change the definition of a synonymous word just because it isn't convienent for your argument.
Yes, she trained Goten as stated in the Daizenshuu. Why did she train him if she hated training for Goten?

Evidence decides matters in court arguments, proof is evidence.
Evidence is not the same word as proof. To have proof, you need evidence. If you have enough of that, then it is proof. Evidence turns into proof, proof does not turn into evidence.

My evidence Chichi wouldn't like training is that she's never shown any inclination towards it. Even in the manga, we don't actually see Chichi training Goten, who says she actually enjoyed it? That was a drastic step from when Goku was alive and Gohan was being trained by him. Maybe it was just a side-effect of losing her husband and knowing that Goku would have loved to train Goten, so Chichi was doing it in memory of Goku, but inside she still has her own views on training and does not enjoy it. After all, when the 25th BT comes around, Chichi reveals her true shadows when she's inherently against Gohan training for it. It's only until she realizes money is involved she's into it, and didn't want Goten doing it. It is not conclusive proof, as no one would have that. Evidence is not the same thing as proof.