Did Kid Buu kill Arale?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: Did Kid Buu kill Arale?

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:20 pm

What kind of Artificial Humans were Nos. 1–8?
Entirely artificial, like No. 19!

The sole weakness of the genius Dr. Gero’s inventions was that “personality control” didn’t work well, so that’s believed to be the reason why he changed his methods to using humans who were bad to begin with and remodeling them into Artificial Humans, like Nos. 17 and 18. It was thought that he had succeeded with cyborg-types, but ultimately, these were also failures because they wouldn’t listen to orders the way he wanted. He reversed course again, and No. 19 was his first success.

What type were Artificial Human Nos. 9–12?
They were all completely artificial!

Nos. 9–12 were entirely artificially constructed. The reason for their failure was the same as Nos. 1–8: almost all had problems with personality control. Too dark, too pure, just plain stupid, etc.
from the way it was translated, Toriyama's answers don't seem to say anything that contradicts what we already knew (though one portion could imply it). He personally doesn't mention which models were entirely artificial and #8's flaw was his personality, regardless of which construct he was.

For all we know, whoever wrote up the questions for the interview could have screwed up, or maybe the guy who typed it up for the book isn't a DB fan and assumed the top question should be 1-8 because the bottom was 9-12? Who knows. The Q&A sessions last year also gave us two different origins for the Kaioshin almost back to back, and the Chozenshu have their own typos as well. So without solid proof, I'm sticking with what we were originally told.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Galan007
Regular

Post by Galan007 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:55 pm

#8 was also shown lending energy to Goku's Genki Dama:
http://i.imgur.com/EjfqmHB.gif

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:26 pm

Well, since #8 could donate his genki, whatever Toriyama had in his mind recently, the manga definitely shows #8 as a human-based. I guess that's also why the Daizenshuu listed him as such.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Angelus
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Angelus » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:39 pm

8 and Arale gets back to life or reassembled because of the way the wish was worded. The wish was to restore the Earth from before Babidi or something. So that includes terrain, buildings, and objects such a fully mechanical robot.

Galan007
Regular

Post by Galan007 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:51 pm

The first wish was for the earth to be restored to how it was before Buu destroyed it. The second wish was to resurrect all [non-evil] people killed since the day of the 26th WMAT. The third wish was to restore Goku's power.

And as was posted above: #8 couldn't have been an entirely artificial Android, because a.) Porunga resurrected him, and b.) he lent Genki to Goku's Genki Dama.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:23 am

Well. When Goku tells them to raise their hands. I don't think "Eighter" knew whether he could help or not and raised his hands to at least try. Even if he couldn't lend Genki it's the thought that counts. Right? :D

Nothing actually proves he did lend his Ki to Goku. So whether he is has Genki or not doesn't really matter. Though I guess "Eighter" being brought back counts as him not being entirely artificial?

Unless the wish "Restore Earth to the way it was before Boo destroyed it." counts as restoring him as an artificial being? I mean if you're restoring the world to the way it was before and we know cars are being brought back with this wish. A true Android wouldn't be any different than a car, right?

Either way it doesn't harm the story that "Eighter" is Android or Cyborg. Whichever you would choose him to be.

Galan007
Regular

Post by Galan007 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:51 am

People raising their arms is a telltale sign of them lending energy/Genki to the Genki Dama. I doubt very highly that Akira would have drawn #8 explicitly doing such if his intention wasn't for him to be lending Genki. /shrug

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:14 am

Arale did not cameo in Dragonball. Goku and General Blue cameo'd in Dr. Slump. Let that soak in a bit...

Now, ever heard of Fiddler's Green, or Danny the Street, or Brigadoon? Penguin Village is like those places. Penguin Village has its own rules and cannot be accessed by normal means. I would even say Penguin Village takes place outside time and space, and can only be accessed if it would be funny to. (like, wouldn't it be funny if inbetween the dealing with RR, Goku and Blue crash landed in Penguin Village?)

With my little theory, how does Kid Buu fit in this? Simply, All the Buus are horrifying, or at the very least are in the Dark Comedy genre. Way too serious to even affect a gag manga, Kid Buu can blow up Earth a million times over, destroy the universe and everything and Penguin Village would still be fine.

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:13 am

Galan007 wrote:The first wish was for the earth to be restored to how it was before Buu destroyed it. The second wish was to resurrect all [non-evil] people killed since the day of the 26th WMAT. The third wish was to restore Goku's power.

And as was posted above: #8 couldn't have been an entirely artificial Android, because a.) Porunga resurrected him, and b.) he lent Genki to Goku's Genki Dama.
If #8 and Arale were entirely mechanical, there are no problems with Porunga "resurrecting/assembling them back". Porunga "restoring" how physical Earth was before Buu destroyed it would also mean restoring cars, machines, Capsule Corp items, the gravity room, clocks, TVs, etc.-- All of which are "mechanical/machines/whatever" just like #8 and Arale.

OFF-SHOOT:
Porunga even resurrected 18 and 17 as is, as androids, right? Not as humans. I'm sure 18 and 17's cyborg parts aren't actually part of their souls, yet those parts were restored just as they were to their living bodies.

#18 and #17 and a fully mechanical #16 had "ki attacks" although their "Ki" couldn't be detected. The same way Android 16 could have blasted something with Ki, he could have contributed that energy blasted to the Genki Dama.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:22 am

Angelus wrote:Porunga even resurrected 18 and 17 as is, as androids, right? Not as humans. I'm sure 18 and 17's cyborg parts aren't actually part of their souls, yet those parts were restored just as they were to their living bodies.
Shenlong couldn't return them to being normal because their modifications were too strange. I doubt Porunga could do much better.

Also, 17 and 18's modifications are organic. The only mechanical parts are the device for the remote to put them into hibernation and the self-destruction device. This is why Cell could merge with them.

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:34 am

If machines truly can't be brought back, why is 8er seen giving his power to Goku at the end of Z?
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:04 am

Also, take note, machines DO HAVE energy. The Genki dama even absorbs energy from plants. The Genki dama doesn't strictly only absorb "ki". It absorbs energy. Machines have energy. Your car has energy. Your laptop has energy. A Honda ASIMO has energy. Now imagine #8 or Arale.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:35 am

Angelus wrote:Also, take note, machines DO HAVE energy. The Genki dama even absorbs energy from plants. The Genki dama doesn't strictly only absorb "ki". It absorbs energy. Machines have energy. Your car has energy. Your laptop has energy. A Honda ASIMO has energy. Now imagine #8 or Arale.
No, the Genki Dama absorbs ki. To be specific, the GENKI sub-class (hence the name), which is the portion of your ki that represents being healthy, full of vitality, etc. That's why all the normal people get exhausted when they donate it.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:56 am

Both Neko Majin and Dr. Slump take place in their own dimension, so I don't think Arale was affected in any way from Kid Buu.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:57 am

"Remember that the Spirit Ball is a martial arts discipline that allows you to borrow energy from grass and trees, from people and animals, from inanimate objects and the atmosphere... And then to concentrate them and release them. If you can draw so much destructive power from a ball made on this small planet... ...Imagine what you can do with a Spirit Ball formed on Earth! If you can also learn to tap into the astounding powers of the Sun... Well. Just be careful. Or you may destroy the very planet you're trying to protect!"
— King Kai, in "Closer... Closer..."

Even from inanimate objects like a rock has "energy or ki" then. Arale and #8 should have some by default if even a doll or a rock have some.

Galan007
Regular

Post by Galan007 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:58 pm

That may have been what King Kai said about the Genki Dama, but when Goku was preparing one against Pure Buu, it was explicitly shown/stated that he was collecting energy solely from the people of earth:

[removed]

...And #8 was one of those people.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:29 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:This thread is from last year. You shouldn't necropost.
Yeah. There are a lot of new replies now, so I won't lock the thread, but people need to keep in mind that replying to a thread that's been inactive for more than three months is frowned upon if there's no good reason for it (like some relevant bit of news suddenly coming to light). Stickied threads are an exception of course (that's why they're stickied), and there are some perennial threads like the Recent DB Purchases one (since people are always buying new DB stuff), or the threads on the 2013 and 2015 movies (they're constantly active due to news updates, but even if they were inactive for a long time it'd be OK to post in them when a new bit of news came out). With ordinary threads like this though, there's no point reviving them if they've been inactive for several months, and doing it when they've been active for over a year is really pushing it.
Galan007 wrote:That may have been what King Kai said about the Genki Dama, but when Goku was preparing one against Pure Buu, it was explicitly shown/stated that he was collecting energy solely from the people of earth:

[removed]

...And #8 was one of those people.
Please don't post up links to illegal scanslations. It's against the rules, and the translations are often inaccurate anyway.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Galan007
Regular

Post by Galan007 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:51 pm

Sorry, they were posted solely for their illustrations. Not necessarily for the dialogue.

xmysticgohanx
Regular

Post by xmysticgohanx » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:22 pm

Yes but DB Arale =/= Slump Arale.
Canon is Jaco, Dragon Ball except for EoZ, Dragon Ball Super anime and manga (both are separate canons)
Kai >>> Z
Current Roshi/Kulilin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SSJ3 Gotenks

MajinAsura

Post by MajinAsura » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:19 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Both Neko Majin and Dr. Slump take place in their own dimension, so I don't think Arale was affected in any way from Kid Buu.
There's literally an episode where Goku meets Arale. I think Doctor Slump is in the same dimension.
My pet peeves:
People who spell Broly "Brolli"
People who call Beerus "Bills"
People who think that super Saiyan 4 Gogeta is coming back for Fukkatsu no F
People who think Broly can kill ssj3 Goku
People who hate Gohan in the Buu Saga
People who think Broly could kill FREAKIN' BEERUS