DB/Western Comics crossover?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

DB/Western Comics crossover?

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:28 pm

As a lot of folks are aware there is going to be an Attack on Titan/Marvel Universe crossover comic coming. Now as awesome that is going to be, even for non-AOT fans, was thinking, as well as being the site, could you guys see a DB crossover with any particular Western comics? Doesn't have to be Marvel or DC specifically, but think it could work? Myself, while still think idea for Goku-Supes crossover that encompasses other DC at the end would be nice, not sure what else could work. What do you guys think?

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: DB/Western Comics crossover?

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:46 pm

To be honest, I don't like to mix waters.
Comic is one thing, Manga is other. Seems the same but they are different worlds.

About Attack on Titan/Marvel crossover I saw a lot of hate from the manga fanbase.
In other hand, seems like the Marvel fanbase liked. I don't know if the titans were owned or not. I still didn't bother to read it.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

ssjjanemba
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssjjanemba » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:48 pm

a goku and superman crossover would be a dream come true.
Hi

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:18 pm

I'm not against it if they are well-written. Son Gokuu's personality is so different from a lot of the 'mainstream superheroes' that it would be funny to see them get mad with him. With the Toriko and One Piece crossover none of the shone through, there was too much of a focus on making the characters get along, which is simply no fun at all.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:46 pm

I've sort of fantasized over that idea for a long while. As long as the character designs are consistent with the manga and the writers understand the source material, it'd be pretty awesome to see different writers' take on the DBZ-verse. Definitely different, but that's never a bad thing, especially if you consider all the movies and specials.

Edit - I misread this thread. Thought you meant an American Comic adaptaion of DBZ. Like a new DBZ story, only written and drawn in American comic book style. An actual crossover with Marvel/DC heroes? Ehhh....it'd be interesting, I guess. I'd read it with an open mind. :)
Last edited by fadeddreams5 on Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:31 pm

Attack on Titan at the moment is more popular then DBZ which is why we got a Marvel crossover. Not to mention Marvel has been the biggest mainstream thing on the market right now thanks to the new movies from Marvel studios and Marvel seems like it's starting to be a bit popular in Japan thanks to Disk Wars. Goku vs. Superman is a good idea but I'm not sure how well it would do in Japan. The idea seems like something that the Western fanbase would want, but what about in Japan. DC seems like it's not a very big thing over there seeing that the Nolan Batman movies didn't do so hot at the Japanese box office. I also hear that Man of Steel, Green Lantern and Watchmen did poorly over there too.

I think most American Superheroes in Japan are not very popular because our culture is different and Japan has their own Superheroes. I mean Japanese superheroes are not very popular here in America too. Ultraman and Kamen Rider failed to reach the same popularity as Power Rangers in recent history.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:57 pm

As I recall Viz once actually tried to make this happen. DC was for it, and the response Viz got from Shueisha was a no, so they dropped it and didn't look into it again.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:00 pm

Considering the backlash I saw the crossover receive from the AOT fanbase (shocking I know), I would think more east meets west crossovers should best be avoided.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:24 pm

MarcFBR wrote:As I recall Viz once actually tried to make this happen. DC was for it, and the response Viz got from Shueisha was a no, so they dropped it and didn't look into it again.
Wow that's cool. This is the first time that I've heard of this. I do think crossovers besides DC and Marvel characters would be more interesting. Why not do a DBZ crossover with non-Marvel/DC characters like Spawn, Hellboy, Invincible, The Darkness, Witchblade, Savage Dragon and Solar: Man of Atom?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:35 pm

I would love to see Dragon Ball, Marvel and DC do a crossover. Have the top tier Z-fighters team up with the New 52 Justice League and The Avengers in one big multi-continuity event.

Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo, Gohan, Majin Buu, Goten, Trunks and Android 18 working together with Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, The Flash, Shazam, Cyborg, Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk, Thor, Spider Man, Black Widow, Hawkeye and Falcon

That would be epic! :thumbup:

...Too bad Shueisha will never let it happen. :(

ImmaDeker
Banned

Post by ImmaDeker » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:52 am

Hack/Slash Meets Cell, written by Tim Seeley, is the only logical answer.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:18 am

I'd be all for it, it could be very fun. As long as they had a collaboration between Toriyama (or another manga writer) and a western comic writer then a DBZ x Avengers crossover could definitely work. DBZ has multiple universes so does Marvel, it wouldn't be a stretch to get them together.

I don't think it would work with DC though. DC is a too dark and serious, it wouldn't be a good match at all however Marvel is closer to DBZ's tone being more lighthearted and humouress but also having it's serious and dramatic moments as well.

So yeah I wouldn't see the harm as long as it was done right though I imagine there'd be a legion of weaboo's that'd cry about it.
I think most American Superheroes in Japan are not very popular

That's true they generally don't do very well except when it comes to Spider-man whose movies have actually done really well over there. Other than that The Avengers did pretty well though that involves multiple super heroes.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:36 pm

It could work in Marvel... Doctor Strange could astral project to other dimensions looking for a powerful hero to help fight a new enemy and find Goku. He'd get along well with Thor and Hulk.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:08 pm

Bullza wrote:I'd be all for it, it could be very fun. As long as they had a collaboration between Toriyama (or another manga writer) and a western comic writer then a DBZ x Avengers crossover could definitely work. DBZ has multiple universes so does Marvel, it wouldn't be a stretch to get them together.

I don't think it would work with DC though. DC is a too dark and serious, it wouldn't be a good match at all however Marvel is closer to DBZ's tone being more lighthearted and humouress but also having it's serious and dramatic moments as well.

So yeah I wouldn't see the harm as long as it was done right though I imagine there'd be a legion of weaboo's that'd cry about it.
I think most American Superheroes in Japan are not very popular

That's true they generally don't do very well except when it comes to Spider-man whose movies have actually done really well over there. Other than that The Avengers did pretty well though that involves multiple super heroes.
Which kinds makes sense as Spidey seems to be much more in line with shonen heroes than other western heroes. He's from High School, is funny, quite pretty strong, has an interesting love interest (Amazing Spiderman atleast), and his villains have more charm and presence than other comic heroes. one of the only main differences with shonen heroes is that he is actually pretty smart.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Mr.Judge
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Judge » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:14 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
About Attack on Titan/Marvel crossover I saw a lot of hate from the manga fanbase.
In other hand, seems like the Marvel fanbase liked. I don't know if the titans were owned or not. I still didn't bother to read it.
I, on the other hand noticed hate even amongst Marvel fans. may be a isolated incident while reading through off-topic section of a rather popular forum.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:26 pm

Goku v Shazam! crossover would be pretty cool, one is child-like the other is a child.

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:39 pm

ssjjanemba wrote:a goku and superman crossover would be a dream come true.
In it, he would blast Superman's head off once and for all.
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:46 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote:It could work in Marvel... Doctor Strange could astral project to other dimensions looking for a powerful hero to help fight a new enemy and find Goku. He'd get along well with Thor and Hulk.
The Hulk, maybe, depending on the incarnation. He'd just piss off Thor, and get his head bonked off by Mjolnir.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:49 pm

Gokuden wrote:
ssjjanemba wrote:a goku and superman crossover would be a dream come true.
In it, he would blast Superman's head off once and for all.
Nah, in a logical setting, Gokū and Superman wouldn't fight each other at all (unless some sort of mind control was involved), or at best it'd be a friendly spar.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:36 pm

They could have a storyline where one of the big Marvel villains like Ultron travels into another reality and lands on DBZ's Earth then decides to steal the Dragon Ball's and wish for unlimited power or to rule the galaxy. Then the Avengers follow him and team up with the Z Fighters to put a stop to him.

It'd be a pretty standard storyline. You'd have to have some hero fights though because that'd mostly what readers would wanna see.

Goku vs Thor, Vegeta vs Hulk, Gohan vs Iron Man etc