Did Kid Buu kill Arale?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Re: Did Kid Buu kill Arale?

Post by FoolsGil » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:32 pm

MajinAsura wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Both Neko Majin and Dr. Slump take place in their own dimension, so I don't think Arale was affected in any way from Kid Buu.
There's literally an episode where Goku meets Arale. I think Doctor Slump is in the same dimension.
Dr. Slump being a weird gag manga, where even physics makes less sense than Dragonball, where God is Master Roshi's spitting image, and the aliens look less frightening than what you'd expect. What we saw in Dragonball was the tip of the iceberg of what Dr. Slump truly is. One can get access to Penguin Village only if Penguin Village wishes for you to, and Penguin Village cannot be destroyed by anything.

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:14 am

As far as 8er goes, I'm leaning towards him being a cyborg, because the original monster Dr. Frankie created was still a human comprised of several parts, it would explain why he was able to give Goku some energy for his spirit boob, it would also add more culture to this series. ;) Though, I think Toriyama probably met us halfway through 'artificial engineering' and not the whole bio-cybernetic thing.

Neko-Majin-Moron... I remember reading that manga from the start to finish, and it appears Vegeta was not himself, this leads me to believe this was either some type of fourth wall braking manga, and the cast of DBZ is much like those of Mario Land, or this is an alternate dimension.

Babysitter Vegeta, yuck.

As for Arale-chan, yeah I saw Goku meet her in DragonBall, unless you want to tell me DragonBall took place in an alternate dimension too...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there people wearing Arale-chan propaganda in DBZ? Maybe she became something like an Elmo doll.

Tickle-me Arale.
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

MajinAsura

Post by MajinAsura » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:29 pm

Gokuden wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there people wearing Arale-chan propaganda in DBZ? Maybe she became something like an Elmo doll.

Tickle-me Arale.
That is a good point. There have also been posters of her frequently sighted in houses, but then again, Baby Trunks had a Goku doll, so who knows how that's explainable?
My pet peeves:
People who spell Broly "Brolli"
People who call Beerus "Bills"
People who think that super Saiyan 4 Gogeta is coming back for Fukkatsu no F
People who think Broly can kill ssj3 Goku
People who hate Gohan in the Buu Saga
People who think Broly could kill FREAKIN' BEERUS

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:31 pm

MajinAsura wrote:
Gokuden wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there people wearing Arale-chan propaganda in DBZ? Maybe she became something like an Elmo doll.

Tickle-me Arale.
That is a good point. There have also been posters of her frequently sighted in houses, but then again, Baby Trunks had a Goku doll, so who knows how that's explainable?
It's obvious really, Bulma created a voodoo doll because she was spiteful at how Goku married Chichi. When baby Trunks squeezed the Goku doll in the chest area during the Android saga, he gave Goku a heart-attack.
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

Friezacooler
Regular

Post by Friezacooler » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:55 pm

It's obvious really, Bulma created a voodoo doll because she was spiteful at how Goku married Chichi. When baby Trunks squeezed the Goku doll in the chest area during the Android saga, he gave Goku a heart-attack.[/quote]

Where about the andriod Saga did such a thing happen?

Dorexx
Regular

Post by Dorexx » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:34 pm

MajinAsura wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Both Neko Majin and Dr. Slump take place in their own dimension, so I don't think Arale was affected in any way from Kid Buu.
There's literally an episode where Goku meets Arale. I think Doctor Slump is in the same dimension.
The same episode shows that upon entering the village, the sky turns to weird colors as if passing through a portal, and after entering the village, General Blue is confused as to where he is and claims that there should be a Red Ribbon base there.

My belief regarding this event is that Blue and Goku, while flying at super speed, both lost focus and crashed into a mountain. The powerful impact both left them unconscious, a moment in which they both had a shared dream about being in the Dr. Slump world (which I believe is a popular TV series/franchise in the DB world; additionally, it could be Blue and Goku's favorite series, even though they didn't act like they know the characters in the dream; at the very least they've seen it at least once; Goku probably at Master Roshi's on TV). At the end in the dream when Arale's brother creates a second Dragon Radar, I believe in reality at that same moment the radar is created by Goku's subconscious through a similar method of how Piccolo, Kami, and others later on can materialize objects. After the impact in the mountain and before the dream, Kinto-un catches Goku in mid air and he floats on it until he wakes up, never truly realizing he was dreaming.

Alternatively, Blue could have been the one who creates a second radar in the same manner. Arguably, dreaming and traveling to an AU could more or less be the same thing.
酷签名

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:58 pm

Dorexx wrote:The same episode shows that upon entering the village, the sky turns to weird colors as if passing through a portal, and after entering the village, General Blue is confused as to where he is and claims that there should be a Red Ribbon base there.
The weird colors in the sky are anime-only. In the manga, Goku & Blue just go there. The Daizenshuu even have Penguin Village on the map of Earth.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Dorexx
Regular

Post by Dorexx » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:43 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Dorexx wrote:The same episode shows that upon entering the village, the sky turns to weird colors as if passing through a portal, and after entering the village, General Blue is confused as to where he is and claims that there should be a Red Ribbon base there.
The weird colors in the sky are anime-only. In the manga, Goku & Blue just go there. The Daizenshuu even have Penguin Village on the map of Earth.
I knew that. What's your point? That the anime-only elements are to be ignored? You still haven't grown out of this ridiculous "canon/manga-only" mentality? Really? After all this time?

How much longer are you people going to spread and impose this poisonous mentality? And while at it ruin pretty much every attempt at a constructive DB discussion?
酷签名

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:21 pm

Dorexx wrote:I knew that. What's your point? That the anime-only elements are to be ignored? You still haven't grown out of this ridiculous "canon/manga-only" mentality? Really? After all this time?

How much longer are you people going to spread and impose this poisonous mentality? And while at it ruin pretty much every attempt at a constructive DB discussion?
Who said anything about canon? My point is, the manga shows the whole thing differently. That's all.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:24 am

Dorexx wrote:
I knew that. What's your point? That the anime-only elements are to be ignored? You still haven't grown out of this ridiculous "canon/manga-only" mentality? Really? After all this time?

What's ridiculous about it? Since the anime is only an adaptation of the original work, its perfectly normal for a fan to have the original work in a higher regard than the anime when it comes to differences between the two.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:32 am

Dorexx wrote:I knew that. What's your point? That the anime-only elements are to be ignored? You still haven't grown out of this ridiculous "canon/manga-only" mentality? Really? After all this time?

If you follow the manga it plays out completely differently. And the guidebooks show Penguin village on the DB world map. While the anime plays the whole thing out as another dimension/universe thing going on.

I would think the manga material would override this whole sequence of events as it was Toriyama's intention to include Penguin Village in the DB universe. There is really nothing wrong with relying only on the manga content because we don't get ridiculous things like Mr. Popo fending off two SSJ kids. Should we not ignore those scenes in the anime? Because if not then they should forced Mr. Popo to go to Namek to fight Freeza. It would have been a lot easier.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:35 pm

MajinAsura wrote:
One of the new data books mention that Dr. Slump and Neko Majin take place in their own dimension. Whatever happens in Dr. Slump, stays in Dr. Slump.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Regarder
Regular

Post by Regarder » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:10 pm

Wait. So there's a Dragonball Arale and a Dr Slump Arale? It seems like the databooks imply that if they say Dr Slump takes place in an alternate universe, but then the books also have Penguin Village on a DB world map.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:50 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:One of the new data books mention that Dr. Slump and Neko Majin take place in their own dimension. Whatever happens in Dr. Slump, stays in Dr. Slump.
No, this is only said about Neko Majin.
Herms wrote:Neko Majin they refer to as a "parallel world", due to it having references to the real word Dragon Boxes, GT era Pan and co., and Vegeta coming to Earth to pick up Freeza's kid. Dr. Mashirito they just wonder about when it's supposed to be set; they note that unlike in DB, they use the Gregorian calendar, and a lot of time has passed since Dr. Slump. With regards to Episode of Bardock, they just say vague stuff about "could this be the origin of the Super Saiyan legend?"