How does Enma subdue stronger villains?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Marco Polo
I Live Here

How does Enma subdue stronger villains?

Post by Marco Polo » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:26 pm

Say Frieza or Cell shows up at his door. How does he subdue them?

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Re: How does King Yemma subdue stronger villains?

Post by RandomGuy96 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:28 pm

They don't show up, because they don't keep their bodies.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:29 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:They don't show up, because they don't keep their bodies.
I thought he was the one choosing who gets to keep their bodies?

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:29 pm

He doesn't have too: In the manga it's revealed that all villains have their bodies taken from them upon death, leaving their souls to judged. That's why Yemma's claim he beats Raditz early on is no big deal, and why it's also a big deal that Yemma chose for Vegeta to keep his body after he died in the Buu Saga.

The anime, plays fast and loose with the underworld, so not sure in that regard.
Last edited by FoolsGil on Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:30 pm

Marco Polo wrote:
He is. Which is why they don't keep their bodies.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:30 pm

Marco Polo wrote:
He is. I was under the impression that they show up as powerless spirits, and he can decide whether or not to give them back their bodies after that.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:33 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:
Marco Polo wrote:
He is. I was under the impression that they show up as powerless spirits, and he can decide whether or not to give them back their bodies after that.
Don't we see the spirits of the dead in the line to Enma Daio in the manga? Which would conform that this is the case.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:35 pm

Them showing up as powerless spirits makes sense I guess.

If they showed up with their bodies, it would beg the question of how Yemma's "body removal" technique would be so powerful (the villains could just evade his technique).

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:40 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Don't we see the spirits of the dead in the line to Enma Daio in the manga? Which would conform that this is the case.
Yeah, we see lots of bodiless spirits lining up in front of Enma's palace. But even in the manga, when Goku first goes to Enma's during the Saiyan arc, there is one panel where you can see another dead guy with a body (a sort of dog man wearing glasses). Presumably though he's just another special case like Goku. Plus, after the Cell Games when Goku's telling everyone not to bother wishing him back to life, he explains that while he gets a body in the afterlife since he saved Earth and whatnot, regular people and "bad guys like Cell" don't get bodies. So people like Cell are specifically excluded.

I actually really like all the filler and whatnot where we see villains from different story arcs all hanging out together in Hell, but since Toei wanted to go that route, they really should have likewise removed or altered the explanations where we're specifically told stuff like that can't happen. Having the anime version of things be different from the manga wouldn't be so bad as long as they at least made it internally consistent, but they didn't really bother.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: How does Enma subdue stronger villains?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:04 am

Going by the anime, they shown a small scene of Enma sending Cell to Hell. I think they likely don't have much power when they arrive at Enma's desk.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:01 am

Herms wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Don't we see the spirits of the dead in the line to Enma Daio in the manga? Which would conform that this is the case.
Yeah, we see lots of bodiless spirits lining up in front of Enma's palace. But even in the manga, when Goku first goes to Enma's during the Saiyan arc, there is one panel where you can see another dead guy with a body (a sort of dog man wearing glasses). Presumably though he's just another special case like Goku. Plus, after the Cell Games when Goku's telling everyone not to bother wishing him back to life, he explains that while he gets a body in the afterlife since he saved Earth and whatnot, regular people and "bad guys like Cell" don't get bodies. So people like Cell are specifically excluded.
Maybe the spirits can take their body form, but without keeping their power? For example, that dog-man didn't have his actual body like Goku, and Raditz also had a powerless spirit-body when he attacked Enma.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:12 pm

Interestingly Baba has a ghost servant who can manipulate physical objects (and wear a physical hat). His battle power is probably ridiculous though.

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:21 pm

So Raditz turned into one of those cute cloud thingies that could talk, and Enma took him down? What a jerk.
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:52 pm

Dead people follow dead rules. As long as those rules are not broken by overcoming the system - Janemba and villains breaking out of hell - they can do as much as a normal weak person.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:47 pm

There is not really a body removing technique. You die, and your corpse naturally stays where it is unless someone specifically pulls your body to the afterlife with you such as when Goku dies for the first time, and his body disappears.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/29/24!)
Current Episode: Attack of the Member Berries - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 3

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:34 pm

What about people with body snatching techniques which are directly connected to their souls? I'd guess they'd still stir up a decent amount of trouble.

I'm surprised Toriyama didn't start something with the body snatchers. One of them could have used the technique on the doofus guy with the clipboard, and spread from there.

Eventually getting to someone without a halo, say Enma.
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

Friezacooler
Regular

Post by Friezacooler » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:44 pm

Uum have you seen how big that dude is? :shock:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:01 pm

Simple, he uses his patented Yemma-Lock!!