Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Resurrection 'F'"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Resurrection '

Post by rereboy » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:16 pm

fexus wrote:
rereboy wrote:Providing an opinion and some logical arguments about why a plot point seems inconsistent is not "bitching". It's just criticizing, which is vital for any piece of entertainment and art. Mindless acceptance of anything without criticism can only end badly.
And when some people already accepted the so called inconsistent plot point and already made a reason to make the plot points not inconsistent, other people will make it their duty to correct the assumptions of those believers.
Fans have to resort to fan theories to attempt to correct the inconsistencies of the released product? I don't see how that invalidates the criticism regarding the product.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:16 pm

DRAGON BALL Z: REVIVAL OF ‘F’ – REVIEW
This is mostly spoiler free as I intend to publish this elsewhere. The dashes are just where images are supposed to go. Hope you enjoy!
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

fexus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by fexus » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:20 pm

rereboy wrote:
fexus wrote:
rereboy wrote:Providing an opinion and some logical arguments about why a plot point seems inconsistent is not "bitching". It's just criticizing, which is vital for any piece of entertainment and art. Mindless acceptance of anything without criticism can only end badly.
And when some people already accepted the so called inconsistent plot point and already made a reason to make the plot points not inconsistent, other people will make it their duty to correct the assumptions of those believers.
Fans have to resort to fan theories to attempt to correct the inconsistencies of the released product? I don't see how that invalidates the criticism regarding the product.
Because as you said the other fans have already provide a logical arguments on how they think what happened happens. Unless you think your opinion are better than theirs.
I ask thou, WHY MUST IT BE ME?
Your weakness is your strength.
Are you reading this? If you are, I just want to let you know that I'm a GREAT GUY. :lol:

saunasolmu
Beyond Newbie

Post by saunasolmu » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:21 pm

rereboy wrote:
saunasolmu wrote: The thing is that some of the 'complainers' like to pretend that Dragon Ball wasn't always like this. As if their self-made attempts to create consistent rules to an inconsistent manga are C A N O N, and everything contradicting them is bullshit.
Er... Actually, people just don't want it to have even more inconsistencies than it already has... They don't enjoy the already existing inconsistencies of the franchise, let alone unnecessary brand new ones.
Yeah, but when you have an author who forgets his characters during the serialization, what do you expect he does 20 years after he has finished? It's just my opinion, but during these 20 years, I feel like fans have created their own theories regarding DBZ that they consider completely immovable. They seem so willing to create their own fan theories to cover the plot holes of the manga, but good lord if anything remotely inconsistent happens in some new content...

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:22 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:DRAGON BALL Z: REVIVAL OF ‘F’ – REVIEW
This is mostly spoiler free as I intend to publish this elsewhere. The dashes are just where images are supposed to go. Hope you enjoy!
Really enjoyed reading that and the rating is about what I expected after reading the spoilers. I do want to question this "middle-movie syndrome" you mentioned, I know this isn't a universal rule but from my experience the sequels usually the best one, its not until the third one that the start destroying everything.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:23 pm

JulieYBM wrote:The sneak attack from Sorbet reminds me of Piccolo's attack at the tail end of the Twenty-Third Tenka'ichi Budoukai. Gokuu's guard was down, so the blast hurt him. Earlier, when Gokuu knew a blast was coming, he was able to safely weather the storm.
No one is saying that Goku not expecting an attack shouldn't make him more vulnerable since he is not ready for it.

But on the 23rd tournament, Piccolo was as strong as Goku and his attack was pretty powerful. In this movie, Sorbet almost kills SSJGSSJ Goku with a random laser ring.

The 23rd tournament told us that someone like Goku can be seriously injured by someone as strong as him with a pretty powerful attack if he isn't ready for it, that he could otherwise dodge or resist if.

This movie tells us that someone like SSJGSSJ Goku can be seriously injured by someone as weak as Sorbet with a random laser ring if he is not ready for it.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:25 pm

You sure made an effort making this review, our ratings are opposites tho.... RoF was a 4+ to me while BoG was a 3+. :)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:26 pm

Good read thanks, seems to reflect the reviews I have read through, just a btw did the the film feel there was stuff cut out like how SaiyaJedi mentioned that it felt shorter than it's runtime?

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:28 pm

fexus wrote:
Because as you said the other fans have already provide a logical arguments on how they think what happened happens. Unless you think your opinion are better than theirs.
They can have whatever theory they want. I'll either agree with it if I think it fits and makes sense or I won't. However, no matter if I agree with the theory or not, that doesn't really excuse the movie from having that inconsistency to begin with.

I have theories about some of the inconsistencies in the manga. That doesn't mean that I don't find the existence of those inconsistencies in the manga a flaw worthy of criticism.
saunasolmu wrote:
Yeah, but when you have an author who forgets his characters during the serialization, what do you expect he does 20 years after he has finished? It's just my opinion, but during these 20 years, I feel like fans have created their own theories regarding DBZ that they consider completely immovable. They seem so willing to create their own fan theories to cover the plot holes of the manga, but good lord if anything remotely inconsistent happens in some new content...
It's not really a matter of being expected or not. People find a flaw and they point it out with valid criticism. That's it. As long as it's not just bashing, I don't see what's the problem with it.
Last edited by rereboy on Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:31 pm

I don't think Fukkatsu no F suffers from middle movie syndrome so much as it suffers from not really having anything to chew on. Freeza comes back and is then defeated. What's next? Kami to Kami left the door open but also clearly defined why the door was left open (there were new gods and challenges to surpass). Fukkatsu no F doesn't really do that.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

radrappy
Beyond Newbie

Post by radrappy » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:31 pm

Fantastic review. I agree with most of your criticisms but feel strongly that what elevates this film a whole head above toei's efforts was how the characters were treated. While it does follow a formula set by the aforementioned 13 films, it does so with living, breathing characters and a sense of whimsy not found until BoG broke the scene. One other key area where I feel it justifies its existence over the others is the scene where
Also, I felt BoG had far more pacing issues than this film.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:34 pm

Good read man. Really hoping that this is just "middle movie syndrome" like you said. Sounds like it'll be fun to see in the theater with my friends though.

Also:
Piccolo crushing his enemies with his weighted gear
That just sounds awesome.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:36 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:I do want to question this "middle-movie syndrome" you mentioned
Well, 'middle-movie syndrome' generally refers to the stagnant character development and plot/theme progression found in the second film of an intended trilogy. Interesting characters or plot points established in the first film are often left unexplored in favour of inconsequential matters for the second. Any real continuation is handled in the third film.

While we have no confirmation of any such trilogy with these Dragon Ball films, that's what Revival of 'F' felt like. I guess I could have worded that a little better. It just feels like all of the fresh parts of Battle of Gods were put on the back-burner in favour of this rather strange tangent. It's just a very random self-contained little story that shares a few elements with Battle of Gods.

I think JulieYBM described it a little better than I did.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Did the the film feel there was stuff cut out like how SaiyaJedi mentioned that it felt shorter than it's runtime?
I wouldn't say it feels like there's anything cut out, but I think it does have some pacing issues. After a relatively short introduction, you're hit with relentless action for the remainder of the film. It can feel quite overwhelming. With a little breathing room, I think the film would feel a lot deeper than it currently does. You'd have time for a lot of scenes to resonate with you a little longer.

Gohan is killed, quickly revived, then Goku and Vegeta arrive and the battle begins. Everything happens to fast that it's hard to take in a lot of the powerful moments.
radrappy wrote:Fantastic review. I agree with most of your criticisms but feel strongly that what elevates this film a whole head above toei's efforts was how the characters were treated. While it does follow a formula set by the aforementioned 13 films, it does so with living, breathing characters and a sense of whimsy not found until BoG broke the scene. One other key area where I feel it justifies its existence over the others is the scene where Goku soaks in Bulma and Gohan's despair after the earth and all the people they love have been vaporized. I don't think I've seen a look of sadness on Goku's face quite so heavy on his face to date. I get the distinct feeling that he'll be a lot less merciful/careless towards his future foes because of this experience. Also, I felt BoG had far more pacing issues than this film.
It's certainly far, far above any Toei film. I hope I didn't give the impression that it wasn't in my review. Its characters are treated well, but it just doesn't have a strong enough narrative. That scene you mention is great, but it's hard to really take it seriously as a viewer when you're explicitly aware of the Whis' abilities. As I said in the piece - had this film come before the end of Z, it'd be an incredible moment, but as it stands, I just don't get any real emotional response from it. Bulma's reaction does more for me than Goku's at that point.

I'd like to add that I very much enjoyed the film, and I'd hope that the positives in my review won't go unnoticed.
Last edited by Ajay on Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:54 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:37 pm

radrappy wrote:
Fantastic review. I agree with most of your criticisms but feel strongly that what elevates this film a whole head above toei's efforts was how the characters were treated. While it does follow a formula set by the aforementioned 13 films, it does so with living, breathing characters and a sense of whimsy not found until BoG broke the scene. One other key area where I feel it justifies its existence over the others is the scene where
Also, I felt BoG had far more pacing issues than this film.
If that scene is half as amazing as it sounds, then all the other stuff is forgiven.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:40 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:If that scene is half as amazing as it sounds, then all the other stuff is forgiven.
If that scene is as amazing as he described, then I'll forgive the predictable and convenient plot device; because that's the only occasion where a plot device of that magnitude can be used, in order to prompt some character development.

fexus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by fexus » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:41 pm

rereboy wrote:
fexus wrote:
They can have whatever theory they want. I'll either agree with it if I think it fits and makes sense or I won't. However, no matter if I agree with the theory or not, that doesn't really excuse the movie from having that inconsistency to begin with.

I have theories about some of the inconsistencies in the manga. That doesn't mean that I don't find the existence of those inconsistencies in the manga a flaw worthy of criticism.
The only reasons that this inconsistency right now are so hard on some people because it's related to powerlevels. What about the number of wishes inconsistency? I don't see anyone complaining about that this much. People here seem to forget everything because of powerlevels. The points made in this movie are still the same as in the manga. If you drop down your guard or ki level, you can and would get easily injured. Piercing techniques are stronger than normal blast techniques. All this points are shown in the manga and are shown again here. People get mad because that level of something isn't in their standard of powerlevel.

The thing here is there are people that think that this is perfectly logical because it was explained. It was explained that Goku let his guard drop enough to let the LAZER RING to pierce him. In that situation, Goku did exactly that. That's it. You could say that it's an inconsistency because you don't like it but other people can say that it's okay because they explained that Goku did exactly that thing in that moment.
I ask thou, WHY MUST IT BE ME?
Your weakness is your strength.
Are you reading this? If you are, I just want to let you know that I'm a GREAT GUY. :lol:

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:46 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:I do want to question this "middle-movie syndrome" you mentioned
Well, 'middle-movie syndrome' generally refers to the stagnant character development and plot/theme progression found in the second film of an intended trilogy. Interesting characters or plot points established in the first film are often left unexplored in favour of inconsequential matters for the second. Any real continuation is handled in the third film.

While we have no confirmation of any such trilogy with these Dragon Ball films, that's what Revival of 'F' felt like. I guess I could have worded that a little better. It just feels like all of the fresh parts of Battle of Gods were put on the back-burner in favour of this rather strange tangent. It's just a very random self-contained little story that shares a few elements from Battle of Gods.

I think JulieYBM described it a little better than I did.
I third this. I liked all those fresh plot elements; I wanted to see them expanded upon. The idea of F in the vein of Movie 12 part 2 sounds fun, and I feel like I'm definitely going to enjoy watching the movie, but going self-contained after something like BOG makes BOG feel like a massive tease.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:49 pm

fexus wrote:
rereboy wrote:
fexus wrote:

The only reasons that this inconsistency right now are so hard on some people because it's related to powerlevels. What about the number of wishes inconsistency? I don't see anyone complaining about that this much. People here seem to forget everything because of powerlevels. The points made in this movie are still the same as in the manga. If you drop down your guard or ki level, you can and would get easily injured. Piercing techniques are stronger than normal blast techniques. All this points are shown in the manga and are shown again here. People get mad because that level of something isn't in their standard of powerlevel.

The thing here is there are people that think that this is perfectly logical because it was explained. It was explained that Goku let his guard drop enough to let the LAZER RING to pierce him. In that situation, Goku did exactly that. That's it. You could say that it's an inconsistency because you don't like it but other people can say that it's okay because they explained that Goku did exactly that thing in that moment.
People also criticize and point out the wishes inconsistencies and other types of inconsistencies. They have done so in this very topic when the manga tie-in showed just one wish being granted. However, Dragon Ball is mainly about fighting, so inconsistencies about fighting stand out the most and generally affect the movie more.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:01 pm

fexus wrote:What about the number of wishes inconsistency?

There is none.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:13 pm

Something I realized.

Goku before being shot by..a ring? Was about to beat Freeza. Is this the first time a weaker person won the fight due to skill and experience over power?