"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" On-Going Discussion Thread

Post by TheRed259 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:43 am

I wonder if this new series will be 100% canon or not. I am also a little worried about this regarding the animation and music placement. But nonetheless, great news!

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:44 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote:If it's stickied and says "NEWS UPDATES ONLY (No Discussion)" in the title, and explains in the OP that it's only for news updates, I would hope it wouldn't need to be babysat. But you're probably right.
UpFromTheSkies wrote:I like discussion too, but it's annoying when everyone is talking about some new photo or video, and you have to dig through 50 pages to find what they're talking about. Also, the main site doesn't update with every new detail, which is understandable since they do have lives outside of Kanzenshuu.
The other problems with this idea is how do you control the quality of what goes in the news thread? Aside from constant moderation that also has to fact check each post. Someone could post a fake photoshop or fanart just as easily as a genuine leaked photo or official artwork. Someone could lie or unknowingly run a 2ch troll post through Google Translate just as easily as they could post information from legitimate sites.

On April Fools Day, that fancomic of Yamcha fighting Freeza actually tricked a few people in the Resurrection F thread. Without discussion, no one could have debunked it and mentioned the actual source.
-Rachel

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:44 am

TheRed259 wrote:I wonder if this new series will be 100% canon or not. I am also a little worried about this regarding the animation and music placement. But nonetheless, great news!
It depends on what you call canon? If being written and produced by the series creator then you could say yes.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:44 am

TheRed259 wrote:I wonder if this new series will be 100% canon or not. I am also a little worried about this regarding the animation and music placement. But nonetheless, great news!
Of course it will be. Some people insist "totally no canon in DB at all" but Toei/Toriyama's recent actions and words say otherwise. Canon is becoming important and Toei shows it clearly
Hellspawn28 wrote: It depends on what you call canon? If being written and produced by the series creator then you could say yes.
Canon gets dictated by the legal owners of the property, brand and trademarks. If they say it's canon/official etc, then it is regardless if we like the material as fans or not

BlackCatScott
Regular

Post by BlackCatScott » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:46 am

Curious to know just how long this has been in production when you consider they must have been working on this at the same time as Resurrection F with the release date so soon. What's crazy is these episodes will start being released probably before most of us even see the new film!

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:46 am

It will be the main piece of DB media for the next couple of years, most likely. Though let's see how succesful and likeable it turns out to be.
People seem to write things off as non-canon should it not be to their liking(I'm guilty of it too!)

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:47 am

Wow, super late on this one.
A new series? This is fuckin' huge, I can't believe it, but at the same time, it's as good a time as any to start producing consistent DB content.
My main concerns right now are will they learn from GT; can they get the personalities from the new movies and put them back on the small screen, and can they make the new stupidly powerful bad-guys (and as a result the entire arcs) not just feel contrived/boring? Also (And it sucks to think about but) Nozawa isn't getting any younger, and that role has gotta be rough on her voice now, can she keep it up for a whole damn series?
I'll keep my eye on this thread for sure.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:49 am

Here's hoping Jaco is in the serious in some way. :thumbup:
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

pappy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by pappy » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:50 am

I can't believe how quick this is going to air from the time of this announcement. I was expecting Digimon tri to take Kai's time slot. Incredible how well this was kept under wraps.

I do have some reservations on it it potentially taking place after the 28th budokai though. I love the idea of the passing of the torch that final image hints upon, especially in the kanzenban ending. I would imagine poor Oob would be largely brushed aside in favor of Goku for this series. But we'll see! It might not even take place after Oob and even if it does, the manga is still the manga. I welcome all new DB material.
I love you love Mashirito.

radrappy
Beyond Newbie

Post by radrappy » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:51 am

Still in shock. And Toriyama's attached?

Where am I? What year is it?

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:51 am

BlackCatScott wrote:Curious to know just how long this has been in production when you consider they must have been working on this at the same time as Resurrection F with the release date so soon. What's crazy is these episodes will start being released probably before most of us even see the new film!
Hopefully they will show BoG and RoF on TV before the series starts, I really want to see RoF before the new series.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:52 am

I do feel like GT is likely going to be ignore in this show if Toriyama is writing. Unless Toei wants it to be tie in GT then I don't see it happening. Other franchises have ignore their bad installments in the series. For example:

Twisted Metal Head On ignores the third and fourth game
H20 completely ignores the second, fourth, fifth, and sixth films in the Halloween series
Both Predators and Prometheus dismisses the Alien vs. Predator movies in their timelines
Alien 5 seems to be ignoring the events of the last two Alien movies
X-Men: Days of Future Past ends up retconing X-Men 3 due to time travel
Macross 2 seems to be ignore in the later Macross series from what I can remember
Superman Returns did ignore Superman 3 & 4 all together
She/Her

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:52 am

Big Momma wrote:Here's hoping Jaco is in the serious in some way. :thumbup:
I sure hope not. I rather prefer him as the goofy, "not knowing how silly he is" person he is :P

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:54 am

Rory wrote: My main concerns right now are will they learn from GT
It been almost 20 years since GT, I would imagine they know what they did wrong with GT. They even have Toriyama writing the series now, so that one big step up from GT if you ask me.
She/Her

ZeroTheSuperSaiyan

Post by ZeroTheSuperSaiyan » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:54 am

dbgtFO wrote:
I sure hope not. I rather prefer him as the goofy, "not knowing how silly he is" person he is :P
I wouldn't mind him dropping in from time to time though
sorry if my grammar and spelling are bad in my posts but please don't hold it against me I have dyslexia and the only reason I can spell as well as I do is because I learnt where the letters on the keyboard are

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:55 am

The poor, poor Kanzenshuu staff...
Rocketman wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:...*sighs* And so the negativity begins.
No way dude. There'll be a dude more powerful than Buu who invades Earth and beats up all the supporting cast, then Goku will show up and kill him in base, and then everybody will wank over how it's totally unlike GT. It'll be great.
Yes! Only Toriyama the Magnificent could possibly come up with this genius. Not like those stupid plebians at Toei.

[Also, you just described FNF...]
Last edited by RandomGuy96 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:57 am

Oh my goodness and a plethora of swear words, Chioka Kimitoshi is the series director. Best series director confirmed.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

vegitot
Beyond Newbie

Post by vegitot » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:57 am

What do you people expect from the plot? 12 universes? Ubb? Teen Goten and Trunks? Pan and Bra?

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:02 am

vegitot wrote:What do you people expect from the plot? 12 universes? Ubb? Teen Goten and Trunks? Pan and Bra?
The Z warriors join the Galactic Patrol and travel the multiverse cleaning up the remains of Freeza's army, and run into Gods of Destruction and other interesting characters along the way.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:03 am

If he is he better get some actual introduction. The way it's done in ROF sounds awful.