Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Resurrection 'F'"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Resurrection '

Post by Kendamu » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:50 pm

Ashelia wrote:
Doctor. wrote:I care; it's interesting to see what someone who doesn't care about Dragon Ball anymore thinks about what it currently is like. I'm sorry if you can't appreciate it for that.
Actually yeah, asking causal/ex-fans has kept be more open minded about the film than I otherwise would have. It why I usually stay away form this thread lol. Just yesterday I told a store clerk about the film because he saw my DB shirt and he got super excited, made me a bit jealous as I could never be that happy. Knowing how others with a passing or previous interest feel helps me keep my dislike in check.
The perspectives of fans that aren't so super hardcore, but show just as much love as I do, are what keep my expectations reasonable. The vibe I go for is to be happy, but never satisfied. I always want to see improvement in myself as well as the things that inspire me. I do take the time to appreciate what we already have, though.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:59 pm

fexus wrote:Goku had this this problem before. He can easily get cocky. BoG shows this when he transforms to SSJ3 to fight Beerus. It comes with getting huge power ups. Just that now, he thinks Freeza is finished. He thinks that he doesn't need guard anymore. Again the laser is a piercing kind of attack which is stronger than blast type or normal type of attack. It isn't that jarring. We were told that Goku got shot through the heart because he lowers his guard. That's it.

People also need to keep in mind that different being have different body type. Doesn't mean that everybody's resistance before learning to control ki is the same.
Why couldnt he sense Sorbet behind him or the ring's energy being shot at him? Even if he was off guard, he'd still flinch knowing something was behind him. They've always done that in the anime.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Sparko33

Post by Sparko33 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:18 pm

Amidst all this talk about Sorbet catching Goku off guard or not being sensed by him and being able to damage him despite the power level gap, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the even bigger plot-hole of Vegeta dying by Earth's destruction. I mean come on, he used to destroy planets for a living as shown in the saiyan arc before he came on earth, and occasionally did so while in the middle of space; so now somehow he can't breathe there anymore?

Also, riddle me this: what would have happened if Vegeta's Galick Gun would have overpowered Goku's Kamehameha (Kaio-ken enhanced) wave when they fought on earth? Wouldn't it have destroyed earth? what would he have done if that happened? Earth would be destroyed and so would he (by this logic), so whats the point of facing earth when unleashing the wave? So many plot holes left un-answered...

White Oni
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by White Oni » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:35 pm

Sparko33 wrote:Amidst all this talk about Sorbet catching Goku off guard or not being sensed by him and being able to damage him despite the power level gap, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the even bigger plot-hole of Vegeta dying by Earth's destruction. I mean come on, he used to destroy planets for a living as shown in the saiyan arc before he came on earth, and occasionally did so while in the middle of space; so now somehow he can't breathe there anymore?

Also, riddle me this: what would have happened if Vegeta's Galick Gun would have overpowered Goku's Kamehameha (Kaio-ken enhanced) wave when they fought on earth? Wouldn't it have destroyed earth? what would he have done if that happened? Earth would be destroyed and so would he (by this logic), so whats the point of facing earth when unleashing the wave? So many plot holes left un-answered...
1) please google "plot hole"

2) Vegeta has never breathed in space, that was filler. And vegeta WAS aware that he would die if he won the beam struggle, that's what makes his character in that saga so crazy, he'd rather die than be out done by a low class warrior, remember, at the time, vegeta believed he was the strongest in the universe. When AT retconed vegeta's origin and introduced the powerful characters in the namek saga, it was accepted that vegeta was either a liar or delusional but during the time AT was writing the Saiyan saga, vegeta's actions made sense...

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:43 pm

Sparko33 wrote:Amidst all this talk about Sorbet catching Goku off guard or not being sensed by him and being able to damage him despite the power level gap, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the even bigger plot-hole of Vegeta dying by Earth's destruction. I mean come on, he used to destroy planets for a living as shown in the saiyan arc before he came on earth, and occasionally did so while in the middle of space; so now somehow he can't breathe there anymore?

I think what makes less sense would be the threat of blowing up the Earth seeing as Vegeta would die with Goku as well. It has always been reminded that Sayians, in fact most life forms under gods and magical beings can survive a planet exploding. All the Sayians died from it, so would Vegeta & Goku. All the Sayians ever did was just invade it and take it over killing the population on it. If anything Vegeta should have just threatned his Galick Gun' explosion would kill all the inhabitance rather than the planet itself.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

radrappy
Beyond Newbie

Post by radrappy » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:10 pm

I think Vegeta's threat to destroy the planet was always a bit of an exaggeration of his own abilities. It probably would have blown a pretty sizable chunk out of it, make no mistake.

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:21 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:I think what makes less sense would be the threat of blowing up the Earth seeing as Vegeta would die with Goku as well.
Vegeta wanted to trap and kill Goku by forcing him to counter & take brunt of his blast.
"Go ahead and dodge this if you can. You might save yourself, but your Earth will be blown to pieces".
radrappy wrote:I think Vegeta's threat to destroy the planet was always a bit of an exaggeration of his own abilities. It probably would have blown a pretty sizable chunk out of it, make no mistake.
If Kame Sen'nin could blow up the moon all the way from Earth, I have zero doubt Vegeta could blow the Earth up.
Not really on-topic, though.
Sparko33 wrote:I mean come on, he used to destroy planets for a living as shown in the saiyan arc before he came on earth, and occasionally did so while in the middle of space; so now somehow he can't breathe there anymore?
We never see Vegeta breathe in space in the manga. The closest we get is the panel showing Bardock, which was based on the anime special if I'm not mistaken. Freeza claimed that Saiyans can't survive in in the vacuum of space; he of all people would know. Then again, there's Battle of Gods, but I'm sure there are a dozen fan theories for that one.
「恨むんならてめえの運命を恨むんだな··· このオレのように···」

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:51 pm

Sayians always need to breath. Goku had to hold his breath under water a few times in the past. Even if Vegeta can somehow survive in space then he still dies without food and water.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:19 pm

FatNagger69 wrote:
SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:I think what makes less sense would be the threat of blowing up the Earth seeing as Vegeta would die with Goku as well.
Vegeta wanted to trap and kill Goku by forcing him to counter & take brunt of his blast.
"Go ahead and dodge this if you can. You might save yourself, but your Earth will be blown to pieces".
But how would Goku save himself if he cant survive the explosion? ...and even if he wanted Goku to counter him, if he was losing to Goku, I don't see why he would demand Goku's full power at that point.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Fri May 01, 2015 1:11 am

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:But how would Goku save himself if he cant survive the explosion? ...and even if he wanted Goku to counter him, if he was losing to Goku, I don't see why he would demand Goku's full power at that point.
I think he was trying to bluff Goku to take the attack so he'd die instead of dodge.

Also, Vegeta didn't know Goku could KKx4, or if he had an attack as potent as his Galick Gun. It was simply a gamble that failed.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Fri May 01, 2015 3:26 am

Marlowe89 wrote:"Outside" view? Outside of what? The forum? The fanbase? How is decrying something that has a perfectly reasonable explanation behind it not an invalid opinion? It's the definition of invalid.

I don't even know what argument you're trying to put forth but it's clear that you're just blabbering at this point and I find that absolutely hilarious.
I care, it was fun reading someone else's view point, someone thats simple and doesnt think too much about it and most importantly probably not a ''fanboy'' I might do this too with some of my friends lol

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri May 01, 2015 7:08 am

Hey, count your blessings, I'd rather have Freeza return and match Goku a thousand times before seeing Broly do the same.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

baneofdemon22
Beyond Newbie

Post by baneofdemon22 » Fri May 01, 2015 8:40 am

Ashelia wrote:
Doctor. wrote:I care; it's interesting to see what someone who doesn't care about Dragon Ball anymore thinks about what it currently is like. I'm sorry if you can't appreciate it for that.
Actually yeah, asking causal/ex-fans has kept be more open minded about the film than I otherwise would have. It why I usually stay away form this thread lol. Just yesterday I told a store clerk about the film because he saw my DB shirt and he got super excited, made me a bit jealous as I could never be that happy. Knowing how others with a passing or previous interest feel helps me keep my dislike in check.
That's very cool! I don't know anyone personally that is into Dragon Ball, but I've gotten that experience with people finding out about Batman fighting Superman in the upcoming movie. It's blowing people's mind that this is happening; whereas I've seen it multiple times in comics and cartoons.

I'm newer to this franchise and I loved everything about it until joining forums that analyzed it to death! Still, it's great that this series actually allows for all that discussion. I think it has a lot to do with the ambiguity. I like a lot of geeky things (mainly superheroes), but this is the only franchise I get on forums and constantly talk about! I just love it so much!

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Fri May 01, 2015 8:48 am

SansrivaaL wrote:I care, it was fun reading someone else's view point, someone thats simple and doesnt think too much about it and most importantly probably not a ''fanboy'' I might do this too with some of my friends lol
Good for you. I just don't find many of these "casual" viewpoints (and even amongst those, it really depends on how casual the person in question is) to be any different than what was actually already brought up in this thread by fans, mostly because there isn't a whole lot to think about in the first place. DBZ is pretty straightforward for the most part when it comes to lore and plot details.
TheGmGoken wrote:What opinion.
Read the conversation. To be specific, I'm talking about the idea of Freeza catching up to Goku in four months somehow "not making sense".
Last edited by Marlowe89 on Fri May 01, 2015 9:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

ShadowWolf87
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShadowWolf87 » Fri May 01, 2015 9:09 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Hey, count your blessings, I'd rather have Freeza return and match Goku a thousand times before seeing Broly do the same.
That's one thing I've never understood about some of the negative reception; some people seem to want anyone but Freeza back. They've suggested a "third" Cooler movie, and "fourth" Broly movie, etc. But for some reason the idea of Freeza being back offended them.

Part of me wants to think it has to do with the old dub's presentation of Freeza as some kind of super schoolyard bully or dumb brute people were just too scared to defy, but... idk. Just puzzles me.
"I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It’s when you know you’re licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what." - Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird (1960)

“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” - Nelson Mandela

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Fri May 01, 2015 9:48 am

TheRed259 wrote:The full version of the movie's ending theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYYhAryLnHY
Better than F in any way except F has a better refrain, in my opinion.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Fri May 01, 2015 9:50 am

Well... Liked the chorus, at least.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri May 01, 2015 9:51 am

I don't like it at all, and I don't think it should have a place in a film of this nature.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri May 01, 2015 9:56 am

Cetra wrote:
TheRed259 wrote:The full version of the movie's ending theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYYhAryLnHY
Better than F in any way except F has a better refrain, in my opinion.
That Freeza troop at the end. XD

It's a stylish video, I'll give it that.
Last edited by Chuquita on Fri May 01, 2015 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!