Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Resurrection 'F'"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Resurrection '

Post by SansrivaaL » Sat May 02, 2015 1:21 pm

Doctor. wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:I think I like Toei/Anime "self-righteous" Goku more...
I personally don't, it makes him pretty generic. Goku may be more of a dick with Toriyama's version, but at least he's his own character.
Agree'd, reason why I dont like Luffy/Naruto and Ichigo. Despite Toriyama sensei's Goku being a lil scummy at least he's unique like Gintama's Gintoki a sadistic SoB :lol:

fexus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by fexus » Sat May 02, 2015 1:23 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
That isn't filler. Filler is when they show something that isn't any all related or important and will not be brought up again. I don't even know how you think what you feel is an incomplete material filler.
There's multiple definitions of filler my friend.
Than just say incomplete material. Why say filler when you know there are various definition about it. This isn't like the word canon.
I ask thou, WHY MUST IT BE ME?
Your weakness is your strength.
Are you reading this? If you are, I just want to let you know that I'm a GREAT GUY. :lol:

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat May 02, 2015 1:33 pm

Doctor. wrote:
I personally don't, it makes him pretty generic. Goku may be more of a dick with Toriyama's version, but at least he's his own character.
Well, Toei/Anime Goku is the same as Toriyama Goku, only with heroism and self-righteousness attached. He's obsessed with training/fighting, but he's also more caring. Balances itself out, imo. If I'm not mistaken, these new movies are displaying that intended "poison" Goku's character was supposed to have more so than ever.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat May 02, 2015 1:37 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote: Well, Toei/Anime Goku is the same as Toriyama Goku, only with heroism and self-righteousness attached. He's obsessed with training/fighting, but he's also more caring. Balances itself out, imo. If I'm not mistaken, these new movies are displaying that intended "poison" Goku's character was supposed to have more so than ever.
Yup. And Toriyama may take it further in Super.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat May 02, 2015 1:39 pm

I'm not sure both movies display it. Battle of Gods makes somewhat of a deal out of Goku's pride, but it's didn't cost him to lose the battle; him ignoring his pride was what made him actually have a chance. Now, RF on the other hand is the movie that actually makes a big deal out of Goku's overconfidence.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat May 02, 2015 1:46 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
Well, Toei/Anime Goku is the same as Toriyama Goku, only with heroism and self-righteousness attached. He's obsessed with training/fighting, but he's also more caring. Balances itself out, imo. If I'm not mistaken, these new movies are displaying that intended "poison" Goku's character was supposed to have more so than ever.
I'm with Piccolo that only Gohan and Goten are the true pure people :lol:.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sat May 02, 2015 1:46 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
@GokuBeingCocky. Didn't Popo and Roshi taught him NOT to be cocky? Now Whis is teaching him?
It was also him if I recall telling Gohan not to be cocky when he was kept avoiding killing Perfect Cell and When he was messing around with Dabura.
dbzfan7 wrote:I'm with Piccolo that only Gohan and Goten are the true pure people :lol:.
Until Gohan gets powered up into his cocky, bloodlust mode at least. If anything Goten is the pure of heart one.. for now.
Last edited by SingleFringe&Sparks on Sat May 02, 2015 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat May 02, 2015 1:52 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:I'm with Piccolo that only Gohan and Goten are the true pure people :lol:.
Until Gohan gets powered up into his cocky, bloodlust mode at least. If anything Goten is the pure of heart one.. for now.
True, though it seems only in his Ultimate state he's that as well as SSJ2 when he uses it. Otherwise he's pure. Goten is the sole pure guy....til maybe his interests in girls peak :lol:.

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sat May 02, 2015 1:58 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:
True, though it seems only in his Ultimate state he's that as well as SSJ2 when he uses it. Otherwise he's pure. Goten is the sole pure guy....til maybe his interests in girls peak :lol:.
I'll give Gohan credit though, he at least knows he can be like this when he gets too strong for his own good and thus why he would rather avoid fighting, but disappointing his dad and piccolo was worse for him; so he takes the risks. I'll call that a pure-hearted life style sacrafice.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat May 02, 2015 1:58 pm

Gohan was cocky in his ultimate state, but unlike way back in the Cell Games, he was actually trying to kill Boo rather than making him suffer.

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sat May 02, 2015 2:01 pm

Doctor. wrote:Gohan was cocky in his ultimate state, but unlike way back in the Cell Games, he was actually trying to kill Boo rather than making him suffer.
I don't know about that. He did try to kill buu progressively, but he held back in the first few attempts to humiliate him.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat May 02, 2015 2:04 pm

Doctor. wrote:Gohan was cocky in his ultimate state, but unlike way back in the Cell Games, he was actually trying to kill Boo rather than making him suffer.
I don't know about that. He did try to kill buu progressively, but he held back in the first few attempts to humiliate him.
I think that was more of an anime thing, in the manga his fight with Boo was one chapter or so, it was almost impossible to judge if he was holding back or not.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat May 02, 2015 2:10 pm

Doctor. wrote:
I think that was more of an anime thing, in the manga his fight with Boo was one chapter or so, it was almost impossible to judge if he was holding back or not.
Not even a chapter. It was like 7 pages of fighting and that was it. His entire fight was in "Deep Trouble", which was just over a quarter of the chapter. After that the next chapter Boo and Gohan talk, and then Boo blows himself up.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat May 02, 2015 2:11 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:I don't know about that. He did try to kill buu progressively, but he held back in the first few attempts to humiliate him.
Aside from SSJ, everytime Gohan got a new form someone died.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat May 02, 2015 2:24 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:I don't know about that. He did try to kill buu progressively, but he held back in the first few attempts to humiliate him.
Aside from SSJ, everytime Gohan got a new form someone died.
Oozaru: No one died.

SSJ: No one died

SSJ2: Goku died. Also Trunks kinda counts I guess.

Ultimate: No one really directly died from this. The only actual death's happened once Goku and Vegeta reverted Boo.

So that's like 2 times at best out of the forms he had.
Last edited by dbzfan7 on Sat May 02, 2015 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat May 02, 2015 2:27 pm

Trunks died from SSJ2 too.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat May 02, 2015 2:27 pm

Doctor. wrote:Trunks died from SSJ2 too.
I added that too before you posted.

radrappy
Beyond Newbie

Post by radrappy » Sat May 02, 2015 2:57 pm

Goku was an extremely flawed character in FnF and it was splendid. It really reinforces what's absolutely unique about him compared to other shounen heroes. You'll never hear Goku crying out to protect his "nakama." If anything he's extremely selfish when it comes to a fight; drawing it out and testing himself at the potential cost of others' safety.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat May 02, 2015 3:06 pm

radrappy wrote:Goku was an extremely flawed character in FnF and it was splendid. It really reinforces what's absolutely unique about him compared to other shounen heroes. You'll never hear Goku crying out to protect his "nakama." If anything he's extremely selfish when it comes to a fight; drawing it out and testing himself at the potential cost of others' safety.
I'd like that more if people didn't take so kindly to that behaviour. They're way too easy on Goku. Or even Goku not being so pure after all would be an interesting turn of events. I'd be interested if this aspect of Goku kinda made some people a lil distant to him.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat May 02, 2015 3:32 pm

Honestly I don't see a real problem with the transformation, I mean it looks fine from what I've seen. I'm more interested in seeing how entertaining the movie is and how good the fights will be, etc.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147