Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Resurrection 'F'"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Resurrection '

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat May 02, 2015 3:36 pm

Now I'm very curious over anime vs manga Goku. Someone mentioned that he doesn't even think about his friends at all in the manga during the kaioken scene with Frieza. Are any other scenes altered like this in the anime version to make Goku seem like a more compassionate and heroic character?

Is his SSJ speech radically different? In the anime, I believe he mentions/implies wanting to beat Frieza at his 100% max so the villain would basically be demoralized. In the manga, does he just do it for the challenge? He also goes berserk when Frieza mentions Krillin in the middle of that fight. Does this even happen in the manga?
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat May 02, 2015 3:42 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:Is his SSJ speech radically different? In the anime, I believe he mentions/implies wanting to beat Freeza at his 100% max so the villain would basically be demoralized. In the manga, does he just do it for the challenge? He also goes berserk when Freeza mentions Krillin in the middle of that fight. Does this even happen in the manga?
No, he says in the manga too that he wants Freeza's pride broken to avenge Kuririn. And he also goes berserk later on when Freeza mentions he'll do the same to him as he did to Kuririn.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Sat May 02, 2015 3:43 pm

Re: Goku's personality

It's more that Goku's purity is exactly what makes him a flawed character, at least according to Toriyama. It's his simple enthusiasm for getting stronger that makes him pure, not necessarily any moralistic values.

radrappy
Beyond Newbie

Post by radrappy » Sat May 02, 2015 3:46 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Honestly I don't see a real problem with the transformation, I mean it looks fine from what I've seen. I'm more interested in seeing how entertaining the movie is and how good the fights will be, etc.
Yeah, the fixation on the transformation designs bug me. The general line of thought critics take is "I could have thought of that design therefore its bad." Instead of focusing on the application of said transformations or appreciating the thought behind them (blue being a calm and reserved color, Freeza PICKING the golden color to make a point) people just get obsessed with superficial niggles.
Last edited by radrappy on Sat May 02, 2015 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat May 02, 2015 3:47 pm

radrappy wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:Honestly I don't see a real problem with the transformation, I mean it looks fine from what I've seen. I'm more interested in seeing how entertaining the movie is and how good the fights will be, etc.
Yeah, the fixation on the transformation designs bug me. The general line of thought critics take is "I could have thought of that design therefore its bad." Instead of focusing on the application of said transformations or appreciating the thought behind them (cool being a calm and reserved color, Freeza PICKING the golden color to make a point) people just get obsessed with superficial niggles.
So it's confirmed that Freeza actually picked the colour himself?

Interesting, that adds an extra layer of depth to Freeza's character.

radrappy
Beyond Newbie

Post by radrappy » Sat May 02, 2015 3:48 pm

Doctor. wrote:
radrappy wrote:
Yeah, the fixation on the transformation designs bug me. The general line of thought critics take is "I could have thought of that design therefore its bad." Instead of focusing on the application of said transformations or appreciating the thought behind them (cool being a calm and reserved color, Freeza PICKING the golden color to make a point) people just get obsessed with superficial niggles.
So it's confirmed that Freeza actually picked the colour himself?

Interesting, that adds an extra layer of depth to Freeza's character.
yeah! The first thing he says after he transforms is that he choose gold because it was a color Goku would be familiar with. It's a really interesting bit of texture!

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat May 02, 2015 3:50 pm

I think it's supposed to represent how Freeza has overcome the fear he once had over the Super Saiyan, whose hair colour is golden too; and making that colour now his own indicates his superiority. Anyway, I like that little bit of trivia regardless of whether or not I'm over-thinking things.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat May 02, 2015 4:14 pm

But how does he choose?! Did he has photoshop open in front of him?!
Seems like a joke breaking the fourth wall.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat May 02, 2015 4:16 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:But how does he choose?! He had photoshop in front of him?!
Seems like a joke breaking the fourth wall.
Well Freeza magically managed to suppress his power in 3 prior forms. I am sure he is capable of choosing a simple Gold colouring.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat May 02, 2015 4:35 pm

radrappy wrote:yeah! The first thing he says after he transforms is that he choose gold because it was a color Goku would be familiar with.
He only says that he picked the color to make the transformation "easy to understand", actually. Which I guess you could interpret as him thinking "Goku turns gold when he transforms, so I'll turn gold when I transform too, since that's the color Goku associates with transformations". But he doesn't come right out and say it. It also implies that otherwise his new "evolution" would have just consisted of him getting a gazillion times stronger but not actually looking any different. A bit like Ultimate Gohan dying his hair blonde.

Oh, and the detailed summary's up now.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat May 02, 2015 4:43 pm

But even outside the color change, he has a different design (lack of jewels on his shoulders, the "pants", the SS3 brows, etc).

Last edited by TheDevilsCorpse on Sat May 02, 2015 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat May 02, 2015 4:51 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:But even outside the color change, he has a different design (lack of jewels on his shoulders, the "pants", the SS3 brows, etc).
That's true. Maybe the real reason he made himself gold is so that people wouldn't confuse him with Coola...
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat May 02, 2015 4:57 pm

Interesting that Freeza seems convinced Hell is exclusive to Earth; or does he know something we don't?

Either way, movie looks fun.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat May 02, 2015 5:08 pm

Huge shoutouts to everyone who contributed to that extensive summary. Very nicely done.
Last edited by Ajay on Sat May 02, 2015 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat May 02, 2015 5:14 pm

Did Goku try to spare Freeza again? C'moooooooooooon, I thought he learned to kill when he needed to.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat May 02, 2015 5:31 pm

Herms wrote: Oh, and the detailed summary's up now.
Character interactions seems to be awesome and give that Toriyama's feel. Don't like the idea of having one piece song in my dragon balll, but I get the reference to Tanaka.
That Krillin scene will be interesting.

The ending is really disappointed and, unlike BOG, no different from other Toei movies.

Thank you so much for hardwork.
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:But even outside the color change, he has a different design (lack of jewels on his shoulders, the "pants", the SS3 brows, etc).
That's a great comparison. Its easier so see the differences this way.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat May 02, 2015 5:51 pm

Doctor. wrote:Did Goku try to spare Freeza again? C'moooooooooooon, I thought he learned to kill when he needed to.
Well Goku did say Freeza would make a good ally or something to that effect., not at all surprising.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat May 02, 2015 5:52 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Did Goku try to spare Freeza again? C'moooooooooooon, I thought he learned to kill when he needed to.
Well Goku did say Freeza would make a good ally or something to that effect., not at all surprising.
I guess you could pass this off as him letting Freeza go out of arrogance whilst on Namek he let him go out of kindness; but it still felt out of character as he didn't have a problem killing Boo and Yakon and said he'd kill Cell ad Dabra as well.

EA575
Regular

Post by EA575 » Sat May 02, 2015 6:03 pm

Herms wrote:
Oh, and the detailed summary's up now.
Just casually announce the detailed summary, no big deal :D
Many thanks to the Kanzenshuu team for getting this out!

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat May 02, 2015 6:09 pm

We're super-casual, dawg.

Just a heads-up that I'm correcting a few things in the summary. Might want to wait before going on a copy-paste bender.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::